• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Just wait and see, because she'll be promoted as new DLC character before her game comes out. this will be same case with Roy and Corrin, mark my word on this one.
So should we also expect Sylux as possible DLC as a means to promote Metroid Prime 4? :p

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Just wait and see, because she'll be promoted as new DLC character before her game comes out. this will be same case with Roy and Corrin, mark my word on this one.
I hope so, because we also have Green Haired Avatar over there as well.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Yes he was. That is why Sakurai added him in the first place. If it wasn’t for his shapeshifting or Intelligent Systems showing Corrin to him in the first place, he most likely would’ve added Elma.
1415552201554.png

Where did Elma come from?

Elgard isn't even the main character of her game though.
Stop making these claims, we still don't know a lot about Full House.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
-Inn-

This is a Inn Comment. Take your time and relax.
We have Smash Ultimate to play, good food and some warm beds for you!
Stop by and rest a little.

View attachment 167275
I try to seduce the sexy bartender lady.

I roll a natural 1 on the charisma check.

I have failed to seduce the sexy bartender lady.

I am forcibly removed from the premises.

Squirtle/Mario guy

Smash Journeyman
They can add any other character in gaming I'd rather them not. Other series like Zelda and Kirby should be getting newcomers over it.

He did get in because he is unique. Sakurai thought there were too many FE character BEFORE CORRIN but because of his unique dragon powers he was chosen to be the advertisement. Elgard is just a boring axe user who wouldn't be all that different to Ike.
We never had an axe weilder in Sma- oh wait Simon Belmont

RandomAce

Smash Champion
View attachment 167279

Where did Elma come from?

Stop making these claims, we still don't know a lot about Full House.
Well you see, Sakurai did say he wanted to include a promotional character as DLC.

Aside from Fire Emblem Fates, we also had Xenoblade X which was the Wii U’s big game of 2015.

And since Sakurai initially didn’t have his eyes set on Corrin, I would’ve assumed he originally went with Elma, since that she was one of the fewer new characters who’s game was about to come out since X was promoted a lot at the time.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Elma comes from Xenoblade Chronicle X

i cant tell if youre memeing on me or not

Well you see, Sakurai did say he wanted to include a promotional character as DLC.

Aside from Fire Emblem Fates, we also had Xenoblade X which was the Wii U’s big game of 2015.

And since Sakurai initially didn’t have his eyes set on Corrin, I would’ve assumed he originally went with Elma, since that she was one of the fewer new characters who’s game was about to come out since X was promoted a lot at the time.
Assumptions aren't fact though.

Last edited:

hposter

Smash Apprentice
Since I ain't got time for no Pokemon You Wanna Go, Tough Guy? Let's Go, here's an idea:

You are forced to remove one character from the ultimate roster. However, that fighter is now for real (that's right, IRL) and you are best friends with them.

Assume they retain their personalities and abilities.

Whomst do you remove?
i see this as more "you get to be irl best friends with a fighter in smash, but they get removed from the game"
such a tough pick :sadeyes:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
I can just hear those unsubstantiated claims. Smells like no sources.
You didn't even bother to spell her name right to call her out despite knowing nothing about her. You just ****ing Chrom'd her, dude, no mercy.
From Famitsu in 2015 -
"I personally felt that having too many Fire Emblem characters was a problem, but after talking it over with the development staff and discussing logistics, I felt certain that I could make them a fun character."

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
i cant tell if youre memeing on me or not

Assumptions aren't fact though.
It’s highly likely.

I must admit, I didn’t know much about the Wii U games that came out in 2015, but which big games aside from Xenoblade X and Fire Emblem Fates had a brand new character they can add?

Last edited:

Jchrono95

Smash Apprentice
Honestly I'm pretty happy with what we have so Sakurai could add 10 more FE characters and id barely care

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
It’s highly likely.

I must admit, I didn’t know much about the Wii U games that came out in 2015, but which big games aside from Xenoblade X and Fire Emblem Fates had a brand new character they can add?
Kirby and the Rainbow Curse had Bandanna Dee

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I'll do you one better: why are you limiting it to new releases only?
Wonder Red
Because Sakurai literally said he wanted to include a character from a new game. It was in his famitsu column and even stated in the final direct.

Wonder Red was already out by 2 years, and it didn’t do well. (Didn’t Sakurai said that if Wonderful 101 did better he would’ve included him in the base roster, I have to look that up).

It’s highly likely because Xenoblade X was Nintendo’s game for the holiday season, that alone shows how much effort Nintendo was putting into this game.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Because Sakurai literally said he wanted to include a character from a new game.

It was in his famitsu column and even stated in the final direct.
Depends on what's meant by "new" here. If he meant 2015, sure, Elma away, but that could bend to a lot of years. It also doesn't exclude a sequel title with a character that had appeared in older titles like with Bayonetta.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Well, it looks like we're not getting any new leaks until the game releases.
Don't count on it. Remember how Brawl and Sm4sh had their full rosters leaked before the games release. I guarantee that'll happen in late October or sometime in November.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
It’s highly likely.

It's not highly likely at all lol why is your opinion suddenly supposed to match up with Sakurai's mind like you know the guy?

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
i see this as more "you get to be irl best friends with a fighter in smash, but they get removed from the game"
such a tough pick :sadeyes:
Eh, glass half empty, glass half full, tbh.

I'll do you one better: why are you limiting it to new releases only?
I'll do you one better: why is gamor--? wait, your question was already a "why."

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
It's not highly likely at all lol why is your opinion suddenly supposed to match up with Sakurai's mind like you know the guy?
Can you explain your side of the argument more why Elma would not have been considered at the time Sakurai was picking promotional character for Smash 4 DLC?

Last edited:

cothero

Smash Lord
SHH! Don't jinx it yet, there could be some legit leaks that no one expect on any days, and at any time!
Like those fabulous, original and totally real 4chan leaks created every day? Ehhhhhhh no. I think Vergeben and that Hitagi guy was the only two leakers to have insider information regarding some characters and another aspects in the game, things got much tighter this time around.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Can you explain your side of the argument more why Elma would not have been considered at the time Sakurai was picking promotional character for DLC?
Because he wasn’t going out of his way to pick a promotional character.

The other devs on the team really liked Fates and wanted Corrin in, so Sakurai tossed them a bone since he got to choose all the character despite them working really hard too.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Depends on what's meant by "new" here. If he meant 2015, sure, Elma away, but that could bend to a lot of years. It also doesn't exclude a sequel title with a character that had appeared in older titles like with Bayonetta.
Hmmm...

I don’t think it’s best to bend the rules that much honestly. Corrin’s a pretty clear cut example, since his game wasn’t out in the West when he was announced and was recently release in Japan. That is what the one of the DLC charcaters was planned for after all, he wanted a character to promote a new game that was coming out. Meaning, games that already came out by a couple of years, wouldn’t necessarily be top priority since they aren’t promoted per say at that point.

Woah

You didn’t have to come at me that harsh, lol. I just did it based on the information provided and trying to piece together a conclusion.
(I remember Push saying something about translating so many of Sakurai’s columns that he feels that he knows the man).

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Can you explain your side of the argument more why Elma would not have been considered at the time Sakurai was picking promotional character for Smash 4 DLC?
Because he wasn’t going out of his way to pick a promotional character.

The other devs on the team really liked Fates and wanted Corrin in, so Sakurai tossed them a bone since he got to choose all the character despite them working really hard too.
Bang

On top of this I'm not sure why Elma would be seen as having less moveset potential than Corrin when that's...definitely not the case

Hmmm...

I don’t think it’s best to bend the rules that much honestly. Corrin’s a pretty clear cut example, since his game wasn’t out in the West when he was announced and was recently release in Japan. That is what the one of the DLC charcaters was planned for after all, he wanted a character to promote a new game that was coming out. Meaning, games that already came out by a couple of years, wouldn’t necessarily be top priority since they aren’t promoted per say at that point.

Woah

You didn’t have to come at me that harsh, lol. I just did it based on the information provided and trying to piece together a conclusion.
(I remember Push saying something about translating so many of Sakurai’s columns that he feels that he knows the man).
Apologies for coming across as hostile, just didn't like you pushing it as highly likely, that's all. No hard feelings my friend.

Last edited:

T3Z3R1

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5579-0990-8199
Like those fabulous, original and totally real 4chan leaks created every day? Ehhhhhhh no. I think Vergeben and that Hitagi guy was the only two leakers to have insider information regarding some characters and another aspects in the game, things got much tighter this time around.
imagine the ERSB type leak that popped up sometimes in october-november, and we would analysis it, on every pixels, and future arguments about why it's legit or photoshopped.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Y'know, I'm kinda surprised this thread didn't dive back into leaks and major speculation, but that's good because honestly speculation regarding certain characters was starting to cloud part of my thoughts :dizzy:

Last edited:

ReeseBalaski

Smash Journeyman
Y'all talking about FE characters, and here I am hoping that FE gets another stage that's not a generic location again.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Since I ain't got time for no Pokemon You Wanna Go, Tough Guy? Let's Go, here's an idea:

You are forced to remove one character from the ultimate roster. However, that fighter is now for real (that's right, IRL) and you are best friends with them.

Assume they retain their personalities and abilities.

Whomst do you remove?
Lucario, so it can show me how to harness the power of Aura, and train together.
:ultcorrin:

The one no one asked for.
Considering that Corrin was on my Wishlist for Smash, before Smash 4 came out, back when the only name they had was Kamui. I'd say I definitely asked for them.

Last edited:

cothero

Smash Lord
imagine the ERSB type leak that popped up sometimes in october-november, and we would analysis it, on every pixels, and future arguments about why it's legit or photoshopped.
It could happen, but considering the leak that happened last time, it's natural to think they'l be much more cautious this time. Not to mention that there won't be hidden characters in Ultimate, all of them will be revealed before the game relase. But if a leak like the ERSB happens before the last direct, it could work.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Elgard isn't even the main character of her game though.
The issue is that we don't know the extent to which Byleth affects the plot.

Avatar characters range from being literal silent nobodies like Mark to literal main characters like Corrin. The fact that the titular Three Houses are pushed so much lead me to believe Edelgard, Claude, and Dimitri will all be major characters at the very least, if not the Lyn/Eliwood/Hector to Byleth's Mark. In theory, though, they COULD be more akin to Xander, Ryoma, and Azura: major characters but not main lords.

Edelgard more than likely being a prepromote kinda falls into the latter, but the focus on Three Houses implies the former more so. Either way, considering we have only seen Byleth use swords so far, it's possible Sakurai could pass him up anyway in favor of Edelgard, who has become an early fan favorite among the Fire Emblem fanbase.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
By the way is everyone in agreement that that Ken leak was real? Or fake?

What was the general consensus cause I thought it looked ****ing real.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom