• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm trying to find some exit polls for the Smash Ballot. Anyone got some links lying around?

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I am going to share an analysis that I wanted to make for a while now. This analysis is about potential third-party newcomers in Ultimate in general.

You might generally known me for predicting guest fighters specifically from Japanese third-party franchises that are popular worldwide. There has been a possibility regarding these kinds of third-parties that has been swinging around my mind for a while, that is the idea that we get every huge Japanese third-party gaming icon in Smash Ultimate. Sakurai made an honorable goal to get every veteran back in Smash Ultimate. With that goal being achieved in the span of three years, it makes me wonder if Sakurai has any other big ambitious content that he has yet to reveal. Considering the third-party world-wide popular statement, the frequency of Sakurai being happy to represent Japanese gaming in the roster, the number of third-party companies he is working with closely with for content (ranging from characters to assist trophies), it would not surprise me if Sakurai naturally thought of the idea to add the remaining Japanese gaming icons. I can see the thought process going like this:

"Hmm... I already have these big Japanese gaming icons present in the roster like Mega Man, Pac-Man, Sonic, Cloud, Ryu, representing a variety of genres and evolutionary steps in gaming."

"With the companies I already have licensed with Ultimate's budget to be to easily negotiate IPs for Smash content, why not add the remaining icons from those companies like Simon Belmont, Frogger, Heihachi, Sora, and Lloyd? There are not that many icons left to add after all."

"I think this is a another goal I want achieve alongside getting every veteran back to truly surprise players, elevating Ultimate's roster from great to unbelievably amazing. This will be a roster that represents the best of Japanese gaming."

I feel we may be in for a real treat sometime in the next two months. I will acknowledge that he may not be able to achieve this easily through the base game, perhaps it will take time to build that line-up of big Japanese third-parties through DLC means. The more I think about the possibility, the more I feel it is going to happen. Sakurai has been pushing his limits to make Ultimate the best character fighting game ever, and I would not be surprised if he chose to make this feat one of his big goals for Ultimate's project plan. (This way of thinking is also why I generally do not expect Western third-parties to get in the base roster, though I think these choices might become a possibility in DLC down the line.)

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Just wait until those people find out about microtransactions, they'll mass-refund the game
Oh yeah, like the micro transactions in DMC4, that don't affect the gameplay and were completely optional and didn't help you if you were still bad.

Gee, I wonder where all the complaints were, then. It's almost like most people complaining about these are just jumping on the outrage bandwagon.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Oh yeah, like the micro transactions in DMC4, that don't affect the gameplay and were completely optional and didn't help you if you were still bad.

Gee, I wonder where all the complaints were, then. It's almost like most people complaining about these are just jumping on the outrage bandwagon.
I mean tbf with 4 it was just the special edition, nobody seemed to notice them and the Proud Soul system let you refund what you ended up not liking after buying, in 5, moves are red orbs again iirc meaning that's 3 characters to use red orbs on and Nero's Breakers well, break and can be bought in Nico's store

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824

>DMC4 did it so it's okay
Yikes

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
That's not what they're saying and you know it.
Day 1 DLC and microtransactions in $60 USD games are not okay and that's not subjective
DLC after launch is fine by me, but not on release day, that's dumb, they could've just added them to the base game

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
>DMC4 did it so it's okay
Yikes
No, I'm saying DMC4SE did it and they did it fine.
So DMC5's going to do it and they're going to do it fine.

If you think having more moves is going to help you against Vergil, then by all means complain all you want before you get stomped into the ground regardless.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
Day 1 DLC and microtransactions in $60 USD games are not okay and that's not subjective
DLC only after launch is what i'm okay with
That's fine if it's your opinion and all but from what I can tell, Idon is saying that merely having microtransactions isn't going to cause the game to flop and DMC4 proves that. You're either misunderstanding what they're saying, or deliberately misrepresenting it.

Last edited:

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
No, I'm saying DMC4SE did it and they did it fine.
So DMC5's going to do it and they're going to do it fine.

If you think having more moves is going to help you against Vergil, then by all means complain all you want before you get stomped into the ground regardless.
In that case really hope you're right, because i don't want to experiece another MvC:I or NBA 2k18 fiasco

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
That's fine if it's your opinion and all but from what I can tell, Idon is saying that merely having microtransactions isn't going to cause the game to flop and DMC4 proves that. You're either misunderstanding what they're saying, or deliberately misrepresenting it.
ehhhh two things, for starters it's the special edition that had microtransactions, second, 4 initially didn't sell all too well iirc, which is likely why it took a literal decade for a sequel to come out

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Yeah i misinterpreted what he said, i'm sorry
Guess we shall see what happens to the game after release

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
In that case really hope you're right, because i don't want to experiece another MvC:I or NBA 2k18 fiasco
What happened with MVCI was ugly visuals, bad changes to the music and sound design, HUGE roster downgrade, Disney screwing Capcom over with some things, ABYSMAL PR which made less people want to buy the game, lackluster newcomers, awkward voice direction and a hit-or-miss story mode. When the microtransactions and Dante's theme were the only poorly received things about the game, latter of which is getting replaced, then it's not a fair comparison

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Anyone else starting to feel burned out with the smash hype? The slow stream of information feels worse this time around. I guess it was because we had so much information already. And the blog offers nothing new.

Just feels like a grind. Which is weird given how quick it will be for release.
Yep, definitely feeling that. We didn't even get Isabelle too long ago.
The problem with Isabelle's reveal is that it was very slow-paced and there was virtually nothing in it to analyze or discuss. I'm happy that she got in, but in terms of things to talk about, there's barely anything.
It doesn't help that the blog updates never show anything new outside of the nights that we get music.

This wait definitely feels like its dragging moreso than usual.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
ehhhh two things, for starters it's the special edition that had microtransactions, second, 4 initially didn't sell all too well iirc, which is likely why it took a literal decade for a sequel to come out
DMC4 is apparently Capcom's 16th best-selling game at 3.Million units, which puts it over other Devil May Cry games.

No idea how the special edition sold or if that's counted, but I thought the reason the series went on such a long hiatus was because of the whole debacle with the Ninja Theory reboot. I'm not a DMC guy so forgive me.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
DLC after launch is fine by me, but not on release day, that's dumb, they could've just added them to the base game
It totally is subjective. Some of us recognize the growing costs of game development and the fact that the $60 price tag isn't keeping up with it at all for the major releases. There are still good and bad examples of DLC implementation, and we, as consumers, absolutely should not buy into the bad ones. But this idea of "$60 = full price" is getting more and more off the mark for a AAA game with each passing year.

Also, early-release DLC (within the first month or so) is typically a result of moving portions of the development team to the DLC project once their jobs are done on the main game. It's either that, or lay them off, or move them to another game. Once a game enters its final months there are a lot of people on that team without a job to do, and modern DLC is one way to keep them busy and produce more content for the game. This isn't figured into the original budget and thus is priced separately.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I look at DLC kinda like this. In the end, it's a cost. If the DLC is something important to playing the game (in Smash that would be characters and stages), then it's something you "have to" buy to get the full game experience, and you have to just look at it as a part of the price tag of the game and factor that into your value assessment. I see Smash as easily worth $100+ so DLC characters don't faze me. I'm buying them all, I plan on this expense from the moment I buy the game, and I view it as worth it very easily. If the total price exceeds what I see as the game's value, then it just makes the whole game a bad value which is part of why I buy fewer games these days and mostly focus on the types of games I know I'll enjoy the most. Day one or whatever is a nice marketing slogan but from an end user perspective it's all the same; what's the total price of a complete experience, and is it more or less than the game is reasonably worth?

If it's something stupid like costumes, then you can buy it if you find it really appealing but mostly just shouldn't buy it, and it's mostly there to milk money from suckers which isn't great from a business ethics perspective but as a player has zero impact on me and I can tolerate. Some games like the Tales games have DLC as well that's basically "buy experience points" and the game is tuned around not having it and it's just there to buy if you suck at the genre, and again I don't salute the ethics of preying on suckers but it doesn't impact me too much and I can tolerate since it's usually a relatively modest surcharge for being dumb enough to buy it. If the DLC systems are more loot box style in which they're the core components of what you need for general gameplay and you need a steady stream, then the game inherently sucks and isn't worth playing (slow grind for random loot is a terrible game every time it has been tried, and tying real money in only makes an already awful concept worse) and further it's obviously tuned just to hard exploit people with gambling addictions as it saps unbelievably large amounts of their money so those companies are just total sleaze; that model is the actually cancerous one that I at least find it very easy not to support because I already viewed all of the games that use it as inherently garbage and unworthy of play anyway.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
It totally is subjective. Some of us recognize the growing costs of game development and the fact that the $60 price tag isn't keeping up with it at all for the major releases. There are still good and bad examples of DLC implementation, and we, as consumers, absolutely should not buy into the bad ones. But this idea of "$60 = full price" is getting more and more off the mark for a AAA game with each passing year.

Also, early-release DLC (within the first month or so) is typically a result of moving portions of the development team to the DLC project once their jobs are done on the main game. It's either that, or lay them off, or move them to another game. Once a game enters its final months there are a lot of people on that team without a job to do, and modern DLC is one way to keep them busy and produce more content for the game. This isn't figured into the original budget and thus is priced separately.

I mean, sometimes there's a budget factor like when SE called Tomb Raider sales disappointed because it needed 5 million copies to be sold in order to break even. I'm of the opinion it's just for greed and that if we're going to get microtransactions, a decent amount of it should go to the developers who often work under horrible conditions including unpaid overtime
DMC4 is apparently Capcom's 16th best-selling game at 3.Million units, which puts it over other Devil May Cry games.

No idea how the special edition sold or if that's counted, but I thought the reason the series went on such a long hiatus was because of the whole debacle with the Ninja Theory reboot. I'm not a DMC guy so forgive me.
Looking at some information, turns out I was misinformed, it was the fastest selling DMC, only the physical PC copy didn't meet expectations. Capcom even said that digital sales of 4S were a key contributer for their overall fiscal year growth

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Anyone else starting to feel burned out with the smash hype? The slow stream of information feels worse this time around. I guess it was because we had so much information already. And the blog offers nothing new.

Just feels like a grind. Which is weird given how quick it will be for release.
Yep, in my case the box theory bs had me out of this site for anti-hype and also I have now a grade to occupy my mind on.
But I'm not too worried, I have a feeling we'll actually have the Direct in October for a couple of reasons.

blackghost

Smash Champion
I'm sorry what?
3 is almost universally the "GAME YOU MUST PLAY IF YOU'RE A DMC FAN."
Hell, even DMC1 is more skippable compared to how important and iconic 3 is to the rest of the series.

I agree that with DMC, you've got a 3/5, soon to be 4/6 good game rate as opposed to Bayonetta's 2/2, but saying 3 split the fanbase is ridiculous.
maybe i had my facts confused. dmc4 starring nero might be what i should have been referring to but regardless both series are pretty good. and its great we will get to see a new devil may cry and compare next to bayo 3. bayonetta will likely be much faster i hope it also does coop like devil may cry 5 is hinted to do.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I am going to share an analysis that I wanted to make for a while now. This analysis is about potential third-party newcomers in Ultimate in general.

You might generally known me for predicting guest fighters specifically from Japanese third-party franchises that are popular worldwide. There has been a possibility regarding these kinds of third-parties that has been swinging around my mind for a while, that is the idea that we get every huge Japanese third-party gaming icon in Smash Ultimate. Sakurai made an honorable goal to get every veteran back in Smash Ultimate. With that goal being achieved in the span of three years, it makes me wonder if Sakurai has any other big ambitious content that he has yet to reveal. Considering the third-party world-wide popular statement, the frequency of Sakurai being happy to represent Japanese gaming in the roster, the number of third-party companies he is working with closely with for content (ranging from characters to assist trophies), it would not surprise me if Sakurai naturally thought of the idea to add the remaining Japanese gaming icons. I can see the thought process going like this:

"Hmm... I already have these big Japanese gaming icons present in the roster like Mega Man, Pac-Man, Sonic, Cloud, Ryu, representing a variety of genres and evolutionary steps in gaming."

"With the companies I already have licensed with Ultimate's budget to be to easily negotiate IPs for Smash content, why not add the remaining icons from those companies like Simon Belmont, Frogger, Heihachi, Sora, and Lloyd? There are not that many icons left to add after all."

"I think this is a another goal I want achieve alongside getting every veteran back to truly surprise players, elevating Ultimate's roster from great to unbelievably amazing. This will be a roster that represents the best of Japanese gaming."

I feel we may be in for a real treat sometime in the next two months. I will acknowledge that he may not be able to achieve this easily through the base game, perhaps it will take time to build that line-up of big Japanese third-parties through DLC means. The more I think about the possibility, the more I feel it is going to happen. Sakurai has been pushing his limits to make Ultimate the best character fighting game ever, and I would not be surprised if he chose to make this feat one of his big goals for Ultimate's project plan. (This way of thinking is also why I generally do not expect Western third-parties to get in the base roster, though I think these choices might become a possibility in DLC down the line.)
Honestly, it just depends on which direction Sakurai goes with DLC.

We don't have cut veterans this time around, but we do have a plethora of new and upcoming characters who could get added (Spring Man, Rex, Gen VIII Pokemon, etc.). Sakurai also said that this would be the last Smash game for a while, so what would be his priority when making this "the Ultimate Smash"? Adding a bunch of unexpected third-parties again, or doing something a little different and focusing on the characters who were a bit too late for the base roster?

Could be both, or it could be only one or the other.

D

Deleted member

Whether or not DLC is "bad" is an entirely subjective topic that comes down to if the product being offered to you is worth it to you and whether or not you wish to purchase it. If you do, great! If you don't, also great! There is no wrong answer on this. Yes, some models (such as EA's with Battlefront 2) are blatantly malicious and should be criticized, but honestly, not all DLC or microtransactions are like that. To lump all of these models together and blanket state them as "Evil!" is, IMO, a bit of an overreaction. AAA game development is not cheap and is not easy, anyone claiming it is has absolutely no idea what goes into it and how hard devs work to make the final product. As others in this thread have stated, DLC can be a way for the company to make some more money to help with the high costs of development.

Companies are about making money, not handing out stuff for free. If they need to or want to, it's within their every right to charge as much as they feel their product and services are worth. It's up to you to support what you wish to support.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
maybe i had my facts confused. dmc4 starring nero might be what i should have been referring to but regardless both series are pretty good. and its great we will get to see a new devil may cry and compare next to bayo 3. bayonetta will likely be much faster i hope it also does coop like devil may cry 5 is hinted to do.
Yeah Nero was loathed when people first saw him. People did warm up as we learned that Dante was still in the game and ridiculously fun. Only issue Nero really had is a lackluster moveset which 5 is already fixing with the Breakers. I played DMC4 for the first time a week ago and the switch back to Nero hurt baaaaaaaad even if I mostly stuck to Swordmaster Coyote Gilgamesh. I really hope that by whatever miracle Dante gets in he gets his hard hitting **** instead of just Rebellion

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I mean, sometimes there's a budget factor like when SE called Tomb Raider sales disappointed because it needed 5 million copies to be sold in order to break even. I'm of the opinion it's just for greed and that if we're going to get microtransactions, a decent amount of it should go to the developers who often work under horrible conditions including unpaid overtime
Absolutely. It's both. But if we want to go the route of pitying the developers who are forced into grueling overtime, we shouldn't even be buying most games. At all. The industry as a whole is abusing their workforce. I wouldn't want to get into that career.

I do want to clarify, I don't support microtransactions indiscriminately. In most cases, they're awful. I also don't support the idea of buying a $20-40 season pass without even knowing what's in it yet. And I don't support essential content-- like ME3's party member, Javik-- being held behind a paywall. Or, even worse, on-disc finished content that's held back for an extra fee, a la Street Fighter X Tekken's twelve characters. There are better ways to apply microtransactions that keep it to nonessential content to give players an option, rather than hold their essential content ransom.

But I'm also fiercely against the sense of entitlement I often run into with fellow gamers. The "I want more, I want better, I want to pay less than what games cost in the 90s with inflation, and any DLC is clearly greed and there's no other possible explanation" mindset is just so willfully ignorant.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Absolutely. It's both. But if we want to go the route of pitying the developers who are forced into grueling overtime, we shouldn't even be buying most games. At all. The industry as a whole is abusing their workforce. I wouldn't want to get into that career.

I do want to clarify, I don't support microtransactions indiscriminately. In most cases, they're awful. I also don't support the idea of buying a $20-40 season pass without even knowing what's in it yet. And I don't support essential content-- like ME3's party member, Javik-- being held behind a paywall. Or, even worse, on-disc finished content that's held back for an extra fee, a la Street Fighter X Tekken's twelve characters. There are better ways to apply microtransactions that keep it to nonessential content to give players an option, rather than hold their essential content ransom.

But I'm also fiercely against the sense of entitlement I often run into with fellow gamers. The "I want more, I want better, I want to pay less than what games cost in the 90s with inflation, and any DLC is clearly greed and there's no other possible explanation" mindset is just so willfully ignorant.
Yeah lots of gamers are entitled as **** and Ultimate spoiling us won't help at all. ****, I saw someone saying the Telltale devs don't actually care as modders do stuff for free when these devs have the nerve to want food on the table for their families. Gaming is probably the most toxic of all industries and the lack of unions doesn't help either. This community should be significantly better but we seem to attract the worst

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule

With all that Sakurai talks about Japanese games that you've linked, I do wonder if Sakurai's going to keep this 'bias' against Western third-parties.

Honestly, I think people are playing his xenophobia up a bit much - Sakurai did admit that he likes to talk to the creators to get the characters right, and most people are taking that to mean "Sakurai doesn't speak English so no American third parties ever!" Still, K. Rool did get in, and his moveset is gloriously faithful to his various boss fights in DKC1/2/3/DK64, to the extent that Sakurai must have spent ages planning it with the creators...except the creators are British and were just as shocked as us to see him in. They'd not been told.

Yes, K.Rool (and Diddy) was created by Rare for a franchise which was originally Japanese, but the character was developed by a Western studio and references Western games. And still, Sakurai was able to make a great moveset despite the language barrier.

If Sakurai is intending to branch out to "Battle of the video game all stars," it makes sense that he would branch beyond Japan, considering that the US market is much bigger in general. We can even see that characters like Shovel Knight (a Western indie property) also are in the game, so we know that Sakurai isn't the hideous racist people make him out to be.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
With all that Sakurai talks about Japanese games that you've linked, I do wonder if Sakurai's going to keep this 'bias' against Western third-parties.

Honestly, I think people are playing his xenophobia up a bit much - Sakurai did admit that he likes to talk to the creators to get the characters right, and most people are taking that to mean "Sakurai doesn't speak English so no American third parties ever!" Still, K. Rool did get in, and his moveset is gloriously faithful to his various boss fights in DKC1/2/3/DK64, to the extent that Sakurai must have spent ages planning it with the creators...except the creators are British and were just as shocked as us to see him in. They'd not been told.

Yes, K.Rool (and Diddy) was created by Rare for a franchise which was originally Japanese, but the character was developed by a Western studio and references Western games. And still, Sakurai was able to make a great moveset despite the language barrier.

If Sakurai is intending to branch out to "Battle of the video game all stars," it makes sense that he would branch beyond Japan, considering that the US market is much bigger in general. We can even see that characters like Shovel Knight (a Western indie property) also are in the game, so we know that Sakurai isn't the hideous racist people make him out to be.
Sakurai admitted that Dark Samus, a character created by an American studio, was added because it was highly requested in the West.

Echoes aren't the most exciting reveals, but it's not like being a clone makes DS any less of a newcomer. We got Western characters in Smash, and I'm sure we'd have plenty more if most of the iconic options didn't originate in Japan. Bias has almost nothing to do with this.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
In my opinion, there's only two big Japanese 3rd parties that still need reps: Dragon Quest and Resident Evil. Anything after that is really just a nice extra.

Regarding western 3rd parties, I think Crash and the Doom Marine are first on that block. I honestly don't know where things would go after those two though.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I made a dream roster. I wonder how many people would be okay with it. I DON'T THINK THIS WILL BE HOW ULTIMATE'S ROSTER WILL LOOK.
Truely Perfect.png

Thoughts?

Iridium

Smash Hero
I made a dream roster. I wonder how many people would be okay with it. I DON'T THINK THIS WILL BE HOW ULTIMATE'S ROSTER WILL LOOK.
View attachment 166503

Thoughts?
Ravio would be nice, but I do wonder if anyone has tried to make any sort of moveset for him. I wouldn't be upset if he got added at all! Another excuse to get another Link!

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Regarding western 3rd parties, I think Crash and the Doom Marine are first on that block. I honestly don't know where things would go after those two though.
Pretty sure Minecraft would be high priority when it comes to Western Third Parties

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom