• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Some music made by Akira Yamaoka would be good.

So I have a question, would any of you buy a Smash game that played like a traditional fighting game?
No, probably not. Whole point of Smash is not having to memorise combos and complex inputs like in traditional fighting games.

D

Deleted member

No, probably not. Whole point of Smash is not having to memorise combos and complex inputs like in traditional fighting games.
I 'd be cool with it if Smash characters were in a crossover fighting game that played like a tradidional fighter.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
For me personally, Third Parties go like this. I already got 4 of the ones I really wanted. I'm including Final Smash and Assist characters anyway.

S: Mega Man X, Jin Kamaza, Ryu Hayabusa, Protoman, Mega Man .EXE
A: Dante, Sub-Zero/Scorpion, Heihachi, Knuckles, Bomberman, SF Mega Man
B: Jill/Leon, Crash/Spyro, Alucard, Zero, Tails, Chun-Li, Terry Bogard
C: Lara Croft, Shovel Knight, Shantae, Rayman, Crono, Geno
D: The Rest

As far as "Personal Hype" goes anyway. Any of them I think would make many people happy but the ones in S and A tiers would be my top choices for cool guys. No way in hell we're getting THAT many third party characters though.
This is a great idea!

Mine goes:

S: Tails, Heihachi, Lara Croft, Dante.
A: Mega Man X, Chun-Li, Jin Kazama, Jill/Leon, Raiden.
B: Knuckles, Zero, Alucard, Sora.
C: Phoenix Wright, Chrono, Rayman, Bomberman, Nightmare.
D: Other big 3rd party characters
F: Any indie character

D

Deleted member

This is a great idea!

Mine goes:

Thanks!
I take you're not a fan of indie games?

D

Deleted member

Why is it that whenever I show up here, all discussion seemingly goes dead silent? lol

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
I like traditional fighters well enough and would be willing to play any that is well built, but I really prefer Smash because honestly the way it plays is just a lot more natural to me. I grew up playing platformers and using Nintendo controllers; most of how characters move and control in Smash is just second nature to me, and I can play for like 10 hours straight without any hand trouble. Traditional fighters I have to think a lot about my inputs, I make way more mistakes anyway, and since you basically have to play on arcade stick (traditional fighter inputs are just horrible to do on pad), I get nasty hand cramps after about 2 hours of continuous play because I just don't have the decades of natural muscle memory for using that kind of controller the best way. Most of the time when I lose in Smash, I feel like it's because I made wrong decisions. A lot of my losses in traditional fighters I feel are just my raw lack of execution, and it's really a major satisfaction sapper for me.

I'll also say that I'm in general really a fan of how short combos are in Smash with a big focus on softer advantage/disadvantage state exploitation and just tons and tons of movement heavy neutral. The playstyle of fish with a few little light moves, hit with something, and hit confirm into big damage is really optimal in a lot of traditional fighters, but honestly, it's just a lot more boring to me than the core dynamics of Smash. I usually avoid this when I do play traditional fighters by playing the heavy zoners who largely do offer what I'm looking for, but in Smash, almost the entire roster is open to me to play in ways I find interesting.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I hear all this talk about Geno or Sora and I’m like...

Why not this guy?

Well, a significant amount of people have moved from this thread to this thread.
For leak discussion.

Not general discussion. Hopefully people can know this difference. People wanted a Leak thread. And no it’s here. And then people say how dead this thread is since people not treat the leak thread as a general discussion thread.

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
For leak discussion.

Not general discussion. Hopefully people can know this difference.
To be honest, this thread was gradually becoming more and more of a leak discussion thread as time went on.

Also Crono would be rad. What's the general perception of Chrono Trigger in Japan?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Id love to see Mario Party, Mario Kart, and Mario Sports become series' in their own right, outside of the Mario logo.
I don't know how it could happen though, except over many iterations. Changing branding is very difficult.

EDIT: The lack of love Lara Croft gets is astounding. I'd much rather have a known third party character that is not associated with Nintendo, then a dead third party character just because it is slightly associated with Nintendo.

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
To be honest, this thread was gradually becoming more and more of a leak discussion thread as time went on.

Also Crono would be rad. What's the general perception of Chrono Trigger in Japan?
And it’s sad considering how much work goes into the op in keeping up to date with info but some saw it as a leak discussion thread

One thread archives and discusses about leaks. Other about general Smash info.
https://smashboards.com/threads/sma...possible-spoilers-leaks.434391/#post-21066188

Not sure about CT. It probably has a following of some sort but none I am aware of.

Last edited:

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824

Why not this guy?

For leak discussion.

Not general discussion. Hopefully people can know this difference. People wanted a Leak thread. And no it’s here. And then people say how dead this thread is since people not treat the leak thread as a general discussion thread.
Having Crono in Smash would be like having Goku pretty much.

Which isn't a bad thing

Last edited:

Meritocracy

Smash Apprentice
After a off-topic and comedic series of events I wish not to disclose left me unable to post here I am again.
Yes, Steve is the main charecter of a Mojang licensed book, written by the author of world war z
I have not read it, which Is why I didn't elaborate, but I hadn't seen anyone bring it up, so I thought I would

?????????????

Smash Master
I don’t think I’ve mentioned it AS much on here, but my most wanted new SE character is Erdrick from Dragon Quest.

Or any Hero really.

Untouch

Smash Master

Why not this guy?

For leak discussion.

He'd be awesome, but based on how the PC port was handled I'm going to say that Square would like to forget that the Chrono series was ever made.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You know, with all the people related to Smash speculation that have been dying or are dead this time, having the quote in my sig doesn't seem so fun anymore, so I'll remove it if a Direct happens on October.

This is a great idea!

Mine goes:

Ooh, my turn.

S: Shantae, Rayman, Shovel Knight, Earthworm Jim, Klonoa, Blaze the Cat, Crash & Coco Bandicoot
A: Bomberman, Ms. Pac-Man, Duke Nukem, Goemon, Spyro, Morrigan, Bonk
B: Dr. Eggman, Tails, Axel Stone, Blaze Fielding, Marco/Peregrine Falcons/Ikari Warriors, Banjo-Kazooie, Master Higgins
C: Quote/Curly, Dr. Wily, anyone from Dragon Quest, Rash, Conker, Amy Rose
D: Rules of Nat--er, Raiden, Dr. Neo Cortex, Arthur, Sparkster
F: Most other big third parties, any interesting indie character that's too recent or still hasn't had their game out yet.
Z: Steve

Id love to see Mario Party, Mario Kart, and Mario Sports become series' in their own right, outside of the Mario logo.
I don't know how it could happen though, except over many iterations. Changing branding is very difficult.

EDIT: The lack of love Lara Croft gets is astounding. I'd much rather have a known third party character that is not associated with Nintendo, then a dead third party character just because it is slightly associated with Nintendo.
On the bright side, she'll get more attention once the current biggest wants get in (in theory, at least).

Last edited:

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
So maybe here’s something to talk about:

What top 10 content do you want to see included except roster additions like “I want Banjo”. However, you can include “If we get Banjo, I want ____ music.” You can include content what would come with the roster addition.

1. I want One Wing Angel for FF7 music.
2. In addition, Sephiroth as an Assist.
3. If we get Scorpion, his neutral special has to be his “come over here” spear attack and Kirby has to mimic Scorpion.
4. More trophies to represent the previous DLC 3rd party franchises ie Street fighter and Final Fantasy
5. Customized gear that actually serves a purpose and visually changes the character ie Mario’s Flying Cap which greatly enhances his jumps or possibly Smash-unique gear like a eye visor headgear for Zamus that reduces projectile damage.
6. Roster characters can appear as Assist Trophies (and maybe vice versa).
7. If we get Banjo, Gruntilda rhyme codecs.
8. A Museum mode where we can unlock various replicas like what we saw at E3. The Monado Blade. Ryu’s Gi. Link’s Megaton Hammer. Daisy’s Cruise Ship.
9. Fortnite stage. I think we would hate it but it could work.
10. Interview videos of each characters creator/director and his/her thoughts when designing said character, the future they envisioned for them, and what they thinking about that character fighting in Smash.

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Holy crap how did I just find out Samurai Showdown is getting a reboot?!? That was my jam back in the day!

Nakoruru and/or Jubei Yagyu for Smash!

Now only if SNK revives Fatal Fury, Art of Fighting, Garou, Last Blade, and World Heroes - then we will be in business!

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble

What top 10 content do you want to see included except roster additions like “I want Banjo”. However, you can include “If we get Banjo, I want ____ music.” You can include content what would come with the roster addition.

3. If we get Scorpion, his neutral special has to be his “come over here” spear attack and Kirby has to mimic Scorpion.
4. More trophies to represent the previous DLC 3rd party franchises ie Street fighter and Final Fantasy
5. Customized gear that actually serves a purpose and visually changes the character ie Mario’s Flying Cap which greatly enhances his jumps or possibly Smash-unique gear like a eye visor headgear for Zamus that reduces projectile damage.
8. A Museum mode where we can unlock various replicas like what we saw at E3. The Monado Blade. Ryu’s Gi. Link’s Megaton Hammer. Daisy’s Cruise Ship.
10. Interview videos of each characters creator/director and his/her thoughts when designing said character, the future they envisioned for them, and what they thinking about that character fighting in Smash.
1: Coin Launcher
2: More alt costumes for everyone
3: What I'm Made Of
4: More modern Kirby boss themes
5: Dark Samus' theme
6: More bosses
7: A single player mode where you fight a bunch of mooks from every franchise like Smash Run
8: More third party assist trophies
9: Custom soundtrack that plays music from your sd card
10: Codecs returning

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

1. Pokémon Mystery Dungeon and Conquest music.
2. Dream Palace (Star Allies) as a stage.
3. Marx to appear in any form, preferably one that doesn't kill his DLC chances.
4. Black Shadow and Dark Matter as ATs, purely to remove any chance at playability.
5. I would like Dark Matter's Planet Robobot theme though.
6. Salmon Run (Splatoon 2) as a stage.
7. Wigglytuff's Guild (PMD2) as a stage.
8. You know, everything I've made for the Stage contest would be cool to see.
9. Cross Series Echoes
10. Lucas getting Ness's PK Fire

Retroator

Smash Rookie

1: FF7 REMIXES PLZ SAKURAI
2: If we get Eggman, E.G.G.M.A.N from SA2 plz Or a stage based on Mania (Titanic Monarch anyone?)
3: A new Kirby stage based on Star Allies
4: Custom moves unlocked from the start or ditch em altogether
5: MASKED DEDEDE ALT PLZ.
6: Minigames for Classic mode.
7: Ranked online matchmaking.
8: Palutena Guidance for everyone. I would love snakes codec and Palutenas Guidance to Cross over
9: Events with Melees creativity and wii U s difficulty
10: ANIMAL BUDDIES AS ASSIST TROPHIES.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion

1) If we get Banjo, I too want the Gruntilda rhyme codecs.
2) I would love more Final Fantasy music in general.
3) If Skull Kid is in, I would love a Majora's Mask Battle Medley.
4) Some Behind the Scenes footage would be a treat.
5) If we get Geno, I would love to see a little reunion between the SMRPG cast.
6) I hope for a boss rush mode, that would give us character unlocks (Skull Kid being a boss. Clear on Normal, unlock boss character)
7) Board the Platforms make a return.
8) Event matches for 4 Co-Op.
9) Have an Assist trophy battle. Choose Assist to fight an Assist. Power them up for a battle and wage coins to see who wins.
10) If Geno is in, Give us a Mallow Assist Trophy.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
What top 10 content do you want to see included except roster additions
1.- the return of Taboo
2.- along with Taboo, i want to see SSE once again
3.- seasonal events a la Team Fortress 2 or Overwatch
4.- more Sonic music, that franchise deserves it
5.- if we get Shantae, i would like her to have a moveset based on The Pirate's Curse
6.- I want Rhythm Heaven representation in Smash, be it with a character or with a stage
7.- Geno + Forest Maze orchestal cover
That's pretty much it, i can't think of anything that this game doesn't already have

Last edited:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion

1-If we get a single player adventure mode with random enemy mooks, i want Castlevania's skeletons, medusa heads, crows, fleamans and axe armors on it.
2-If said mode had thematic levels... a Castlevania thematic level would be dope
3-A stage editor that blows out of the water previous stage editiors (at this point i'm kinda doubting we get a stage editor at all :S)
4-more gameplay options for said editor, like being able to choose item spanws areas, respawn areas and 8 player stages.
5-Individual designed Break the targets (tons of work!)
6-the editor powerful enough that the melee like break the targets were done on said editor, and have an extra mode when you can use the editor to create "Melee" like break teh targets stages (and share them online)
7-More alternate costumes, Richter's symphony of the night costume, Simon's Redhead Lords of shadows Costume, Samus Dark and Light suits, Fire emblem Class promotion costumes, etc...
8-Extra colors for alternate costumes, A black tuxedo mario, or a golden meta ridley with green skin...
9-Spirits mode to have ton of replay value, hoping it to be a fun metroidvania style adventure.
10-Dark Souls content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom