• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Quick game:
If you had to add characters originating from the major consoles not represented in Smash (original Xbox, PS2, XBO, PS4), who would they be?
Well... Skyrim is best known from the XB1, PS4, and PC, but it was orignally for X360 and PS3. Heck, it had unique functionality for Kinect, and it's now been ported to Alexa.

Let's add Dovahkiin to represent literally every console ever.

When are we getting the Xbox classic?

It's minified, so it's the size of the Xbox 360
Oh man, bringing back memories here. I still have that huge clunky thing. Problem was that I had a US console in Europe, so I always had to run it off a transformer, which meant that every time I set it up I had to reset the clock.

I loved the menu styles though. That green futuristic-y thing...

And of course, Morrowind on Xbox. My first character was a Khajiit since I liked tigers as a kid, but I did play a lot of an Argonian too. The one with the blue face and the three spikes in a mohawk. Damn, Morrowind was fun...just wish it had proper combat.

Elder Scrolls needs to be in Smash... Give us Dovahkiin, and then the main themes of Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim as music for the stage. And a trophy of Vivec or Crassius Curio (creeper) lol.

Does bring an interesting idea - are there any games you played as a kid that you loved but really are totally obscure? I remember playing Azurik: Rise of Perathia. The music was gorgeous (and I only recently found out it was Jeremy Soule, who composes for Elder Scrolls), and I loved the world. Also an interesting fighting style since he had a staff that was bladed at both ends, which he could charge with the powers of the elements (fire, water, etc). I should go dig that game back up and play it again...

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
But here’s the real problem with the Sora tweet

The creator of Wario did the exact same thing outright said supports Ashley for smash but the tweet got deleted still not playable

Don’t fall for the same trap guys

D

Deleted member

Well... Skyrim is best known from the XB1, PS4, and PC, but it was orignally for X360 and PS3. Heck, it had unique functionality for Kinect, and it's now been ported to Alexa.

Let's add Dovahkiin to represent literally every console ever.
Doomguy would do the same thing considering how many ports of DOOM (official and unofficial) exist.

:4pacman:

Sorry, I don't mean to crush your dreams...

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I feel your list favors good characters a little too much.
I feel pretty much all retros are cutable under your description. Corrin could probably also be added to the list.
A lot of that is popularity. I considered adding Shiek and Zero Suit Samus to the list since we already have Zelda/Samus, but they're just far too popular for that, even if that popularity came from being good. My overall thought process behind the list was "which cuts would upset the least amount of people?" Albeit Roy is also really popular himself, so I maybe I should have included him.

Mr.Game&Watch and Duck Hunt are retros I don't see being cut. G&W is suppose gets a lot of it from Melee seniority, but the Duck Hunt dog has always been an icon. Ice Climbers also have Melee seniority but also have an extremely unique gimmick on top of that. Anyway I didn't want to cut all retro characters, but I think they should be lower priority overall.

Corrin has a lot of haters, but from my experience, Corrin is actually pretty popular overall.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
You realize alot of players may be kids, yes? Kids that are trying to have a good time and not being endlessly destroyed by people to "weed out people who are best suited for Casual Smash".
Since when is doing 1v1s on For Glory or a future ranked mode suppose to be easy or fun from a beginner / casual perspective. I got my ass kicked hard in DBZF in my first few matches which then prompted me to go into training mode to practice combos and mechanics. If you want FUN go on the mode called FOR FUN!. You have to fight for your glory and fun sir.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

At this point, I will be excited for any character to be honest. I got my most wanted character (Snake). Everything else is just dessert. I will play Bayonetta vs any character that is suppose to be a joke (jigglypuff/ pichu/ Zelda etc.) or meme and I am very harsh on beginners in Smash to let them know what they're getting themselves into; so I pick Bayonetta. I will weed out people who are better suited for Casual Smash. My entire college is competitive players. There is no point in doing casual play because we destroy any casual that tries to play with us in a casual setting (we're just naturally good sorry). Don't be going on For Glory (and hopefully a ranking mode) and expect any sympathy from me as I will definitely pick top tiers in general. I only taunt vs people who do basic crap like roll spamming / air-dodge spamming and massive camping.
Nothing says "Welcome to this community! We'll do our best to help teach you and make sure you have a good time" than treating Smash as some kind of exclusive club that has to "weed" out those inferior.

I know people take the game seriously and like to be competitive, but I'm sorry to say your mentality is kinda snobby and rude. People play Smash to have a good time, purposely trying to make them feel miserable is a really crummy thing to do IMO. Instead of making them feel like they suck, how about, I dunno, help them learn? Be patient and respectful to people, and maybe you'll both have a good time? Seriously, what good does it do you to behave that way? I see no reason to ruin someone's experience just because they don't meet whatever your "standards" for Smash are. Just some food for thought.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I graduated from grad school almost three years ago and I'm STILL trying to catch up on all the games I put aside from 2011-2015. Smash didn't exactly help either...
I must be some kind of medium, because I think I've seen a ghost!

Haven't seen you in forever, Fats. How's life?

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
Nothing says "Welcome to this community! We'll do our best to help teach you and make sure you have a good time" than treating Smash as some kind of exclusive club that has to "weed" out those inferior.

I know people take the game seriously and like to be competitive, but I'm sorry to say your mentality is kinda snobby and rude. People play Smash to have a good time, purposely trying to make them feel miserable is a really crummy thing to do IMO. Instead of making them feel like they suck, how about, I dunno, help them learn? Be patient and respectful to people, and maybe you'll both have a good time? Seriously, what good does it do you to behave that way? I see no reason to ruin someone's experience just because they don't meet whatever your "standards" for Smash are. Just some food for thought.
No; you mistake me. I only weed out those who are trying to play Smash in a way that isn't meant for them to play. I only help with the process of making them realize this is the wrong path for them. Casual Smash vs Competitive Smash is almost an entirely different spectrum of looking at the game. Many people who play Smash are not suited for the competitive side. I make them realize this sooner to what a competitive game can be. You will face people who play nothing but Top Tiers and play relentlessly. I am not the exception; I simply expose this side to them.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
Sorry for posting a meme, but this is something relating to my most wanted newcomer that made me laugh.

SmartSelect_20180921-112637_Instagram.jpg

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
Another thing to point out:

He says here jobs are on the line if SE character was leaked. Now, this is probably obvious for any character leak, but do you think the fact he mentioned it means it's a larger more protected character (FF, KH, or DQ)? Specifically, Sora since it'd have 3 companies corresponding for a single fighter.
Orrrrrrr is this nothing?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
No; you mistake me. I only weed out those who are trying to play Smash in a way that isn't meant for them to play. I only help with the process of making them realize this is the wrong path for them. Casual Smash vs Competitive Smash is almost an entirely different spectrum of looking at the game.
It sounds more like you're trying to scare them out of even giving competitive Smash a real chance. No one starts out good, and a lot of competitive Smash fans started out as casuals.

There's a reason there's a huge stigma against competitive Smash.

Last edited:

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
Another thing to point out:

He says here jobs are on the line if SE character was leaked. Now, this is probably obvious for any character leak, but do you think the fact he mentioned it means it's a larger more protected character (FF, KH, or DQ)? Specifically, Sora since it'd have 3 companies corresponding for a single fighter.
Orrrrrrr is this nothing?
He's being vague on purpose, that way any SE character can get in and he can take credit. Leaks do this all the time, he might as well say "btw theres gonna be a pokemon in the game!"

D

Deleted member

No; you mistake me. I only weed out those who are trying to play Smash in a way that isn't meant for them to play. I only help with the process of making them realize this is the wrong path for them. Casual Smash vs Competitive Smash is almost an entirely different spectrum of looking at the game.
1515834780969.jpg

I can't believe you actually typed all of that out

Makai Wars

Smash Ace
No; you mistake me. I only weed out those who are trying to play Smash in a way that isn't meant for them to play. I only help with the process of making them realize this is the wrong path for them. Casual Smash vs Competitive Smash is almost an entirely different spectrum of looking at the game. Many people who play Smash are not suited for the competitive side. I make them realize this sooner to what a competitive game can be. You will face people who play nothing but Top Tiers and play relentlessly. I am not the exception; I simply expose this side to them.
Is this like, bait? Are you joking right now?

D

Deleted member

Um...okay, so what it seems like you're trying to say is "I purposely make people feel horrible if they're not good at competitive Smash to ensure they have zero motivation to stay in the community and get better"? Many people when they first start out aren't very good, and y'know what can kill any desire to get better? A community that's first instinct is to troll them and try to make them feel like they are less by taunting them, cussing them out through whatever exploitable methods they can, and overall ruining someone's day. That kind of mentality mixed with lag was what ruined any desire on my part to try and play Smash Wii U online.

Seriously, just let people play the way they want. There's no reason for you to try and force or tell people how they can or can not play the game. All doing that does is make yourself look like an elitist.

This is all I will say on the matter, as I can easily see this turning into a big fight. Let's just all drop it now and move on to something else.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
While seeing people discuss Steve, I haven’t seen anyone mention this:

Sakurai loves staying true to characters’ original games, down to their movements. Megaman and Simon both have their exact same walking animations. Steve would likely follow suit, having his goofy-ass Minecraft run where just his arms and legs are moving like a lego man. While attacking he would just kind of move his right arm forward a little bit. Jumping would literally just be his model moving up vertically. While being knocked back he’d be flying through the air standing perfectly vertically with arms and legs just swinging. When falling down he’d still be perfectly vertical like he’s doing a pencil dive.

Just watching Steve move around the battle would be the single funniest thing in Smash history.

And last week I thought being beaten by Isabelle would be the biggest disrespect, but being beaten by the ****ing Minecraft Man awkwardly running around the stage is on a whole new level.

I’d honestly love Steve. It’d be beyond hilarious and would never get old. We’ve gotten used to Game & Watch, R.O.B., and Wii Fit Trainer, but Steve would forever look beyond out of place.

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566

Sakurai loves staying true to characters’ original games, down to their movements. Megaman and Simon both have their exact same walking animations. Steve would likely follow suit, having his goofy-*** Minecraft run where just his arms and legs are moving like a lego man. While attacking he would just kind of move his right arm forward a little bit. Jumping would literally just be his model moving up vertically. While being knocked back he’d be flying through the air standing perfectly vertically with arms and legs just swinging. When falling down he’d still be perfectly vertical like he’s doing a pencil dive.

Just watching Steve move around the battle would be the single funniest thing in Smash history.

And last week I thought being beaten by Isabelle would be the biggest disrespect, but being beaten by the ****ing Minecraft moving awkwardly running around the stage is on a whole new level.

I’d honestly love Steve. It’d be beyond hilarious and would never get old. We’ve gotten used to Game & Watch, R.O.B., and Wii Fit Trainer, but Steve would forever look beyond out of place.
Steve vs Game & Watch would be a sight.

Untouch

Smash Master

Sakurai loves staying true to characters’ original games, down to their movements. Megaman and Simon both have their exact same walking animations. Steve would likely follow suit, having his goofy-*** Minecraft run where just his arms and legs are moving like a lego man. While attacking he would just kind of move his right arm forward a little bit. Jumping would literally just be his model moving up vertically. While being knocked back he’d be flying through the air standing perfectly vertically with arms and legs just swinging. When falling down he’d still be perfectly vertical like he’s doing a pencil dive.

And last week I thought being beaten by Isabelle would be the biggest disrespect, but being beaten by the ****ing Minecraft moving awkwardly running around the stage is on a whole new level.

I don't think he's in for this reason alone, but I gotta say if he would end up OP and EVO finals would be Steve vs Steve the community would never recover and it'd be hilarious.

D

Deleted member

I still think they would do what Minecraft Story Mode did because animations need to be distinct. Sure Mega Man and Simon move like in their original games but their attack animations still tell what move is being used. I still see him having his awkward walking and dashing as Simon has his but as far as attacks go, I'm pretty sure those will be clear and concise

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
It sounds more like you're trying to scare them out of even giving competitive Smash a real chance. No one starts out good, and a lot of competitive Smash fans started out as casuals.

There's a reason there's a huge stigma against competitive Smash.
Look; I'm not going to waste my time and effort trying to help someone who is just going to quit (never come back) a week after trying competitive Smash. Might as well test to see if they quit right away. Just like on job applications where they immediately trash certain applications if they fit a criteria. I will give advice even when going all out on them if they're interested....

I even explained to a guy what Rage was in Smash 4 and ledge canceling : D

I would try Steve in smash anyway.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Surprised it took so long to get to Pikachu of all characters. They've talked about every member of the Pikachu line before covering Pikachu itself.
I think they only held off this long because Pikachu's memory post is #151.

I feel like that's literally it.

aarchak

Smash Ace

Can you imagine the salt if he looked that ridiculous? People would complain for days. We'd be buried in a mine. It would be amazing.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Smash is a game that can be played both casually and competitively. It's not just stuck to one genre. It's unfair to treat those who prefer one way to play by being told "this is the wrong way to play". Online is even separated by casual and competitive, so it's not like your dream of being Smash Batman is going to happen ever.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Sakurai should pay Green Day for the rights to Viva La Vida so he can use that Minecraft parody by CaptainSparklez.

Same for DJ’s Got Us Fallin In Love.

Volodya

Smash Apprentice
I'm gunna go ahead and make peace with the Steve idea. If it doesn't happen, great. It'd definitely be easier if Minecraft didn't look ugly as sin.

Dcas

Smash Journeyman
Smash is a game that can be played both casually and competitively. It's not just stuck to one genre. It's unfair to treat those who prefer one way to play by being told "this is the wrong way to play". Online is even separated by casual and competitive, so it's not like your dream of being Smash Batman is going to happen ever.
Hmm not really, theres no way to play smash. First and foremost, its a party game according to its creator. So obviously everyone has their own way of playing it, if you dont like the way a certain group expresses it doesnt give you any authority on "how people should treat" the others.

People will always label the "right" and the "wrong" way, deal with it.

D

Deleted member

A Minecraft stage would be really cool. I imagine literally ALL the terrain would be destructible, which would make for a pretty fun stage for casual matches. 8-player Smashes especially would be pretty crazy!

Ooh, and imagine the music! Minecraft has a stellar soundtrack, I would love to see what Smash's composers would do with it!

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
I have no problem with people playing Smaah Casually; I certainly wouldn't question their way of playing just as how I hope they wouldn't question the way we play.

However, we play Smash like a fighting game which is a niche genre. Inherently, I already know a lot of casuals who "may" be interested in how we play will inevitably not retain the interest after a week. Therefore I even gives them a heads up that you most likely will be thrashed by the people here. I do not taunt in person and especially against casuals. I do that vs people online who purposely abuse the nature of Online Smash (and because I get irritated by it but that's just me).

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Look; I'm not going to waste my time and effort trying to help someone who is just going to quit (never come back) a week after trying competitive Smash. Might as well test to see if they quit right away. Just like on job applications where they immediately trash certain applications if they fit a criteria. I will give advice even when going all out on them if they're interested....

I even explained to a guy what Rage was in Smash 4 and ledge canceling : D

I would try Steve in smash anyway.
I actually don't hold back on new guys either. I use my main, the admittedly mediocre Charizard, on them and will juggle and edge guard them to the end of the earth and still would even if he was top tier. But the mentality that you have to "weed out" players who "aren't suited" for it come off a little elitist. Same with taunting on people with bad habits. I used to be a roll spammer myself once, and it wasn't the people who taunted on me who made me want to improve. It was the people who were to the point about it and punished my bad habits with reads, not the ones who mocked me in game, that made me want to improve and fix my habits.

Edit:
I do not taunt in person and especially against casuals. I do that vs people online who purposely abuse the nature of Online Smash (and because I get irritated by it but that's just me).
Alright, that's a bit better I guess. But not all roll spammers are lag abusers. I personally wasn't.

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

And last week I thought being beaten by Isabelle would be the biggest disrespect, but being beaten by the ****ing Minecraft Man awkwardly running around the stage is on a whole new level.

I want this to happen so much right now.

I think they only held off this long because Pikachu's memory post is #151.

I feel like that's literally it.
Pikachu confirmed to be the newest Mythical Pokémon.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Hmm not really, theres no way to play smash. First and foremost, its a party game according to its creator. So obviously everyone has their own way of playing it, if you dont like the way a certain group expresses it doesnt give you any authority on "how people should treat" the others.
Any game can be played competitively. Speedrunning is competitive. Fighting games are competitive. Stuff like that. I couldn't imagine any Nintendo game where the motto isn't "be nice to others" or some moralistic stuff, because they're targeted towards families and small children as an audience. It's common sense how you're expected to treat others, whether you follow that invisible hand or not.

People will always label the "right" and the "wrong" way, deal with it.
Yes sir, my opinion is now disallowed from existing. :yeahboi: Thank you for this new light of realization.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
At this point, I will be excited for any character to be honest. I got my most wanted character (Snake). Everything else is just dessert. I will play Bayonetta vs any character that is suppose to be a joke (jigglypuff/ pichu/ Zelda etc.) or meme and I am very harsh on beginners in Smash to let them know what they're getting themselves into; so I pick Bayonetta. I will weed out people who are better suited for Casual Smash. My entire college is competitive players. There is no point in doing casual play because we destroy any casual that tries to play with us in a casual setting (we're just naturally good sorry). Don't be going on For Glory (and hopefully a ranking mode) and expect any sympathy from me as I will definitely pick top tiers in general. I only taunt vs people who do basic crap like roll spamming / air-dodge spamming and massive camping.

I will play Steve if he was top tier for example; . My loyalty follows the tier list (yes I'm one of these type of people and isn't afraid of admitting it, how about you?)

I currently play :ultcloud::ultbayonetta::ultzss::ultsonic::ultsheik::ultrosalina::ultdiddy::ultcorrin::ultmewtwo::ultmarth:
Lol I could probably beat you with Bowser

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Sakurai should pay Green Day for the rights to Viva La Vida so he can use that Minecraft parody by CaptainSparklez.

Same for DJ’s Got Us Fallin In Love.
If Steve gets in I expect this song to be in the game:

But here’s the real problem with the Sora tweet

The creator of Wario did the exact same thing outright said supports Ashley for smash but the tweet got deleted still not playable

Don’t fall for the same trap guys
What's this about a Sora tweet?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom