• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
They outright said that the Music Theory only applies to unique newcomers. Echoes are exempt.
Ah, Sakurai said that, right?
Oh wait, he didn't.
So I really couldn't care less what "they" say.

Because, unfortunately, Echoes break the pattern. Like it or not, they're newcomers too.
Could the Music Theory be true, still? Yeah, but it's very silly to act like Echoes are 100% exempt from this.

Aaron1997

Smash Ace
NNID
Aaron1318
Probably nothing but this happened on twitter

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

Uh oh, you know what this says.

Seeing as NDA's exist.

D

Deleted member

Steve is gonna bring that RoA **** with stage manipulation and you can bet my ass I'll be playing as him.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162

No
****ing
Way

I don't think you guys realize how big this is.

LetterO

Smash Lord

What if he deleted it so he wasn't spammed with people asking if Sora's in smash?

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace

If he signed an NDA I don't think he would slip up so easily. He probably misunderstood the question.

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman

OH OH OH?????

Probably just him saying that'd be awesome, but still cool he acknowledged it!

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
I don't want it to be fake... It's just that the music Theory has so much going for it, That Skull Kid kinda makes this leak fake for me...Zelda Already has a track up. so If Skull Kid were a Character, There probably wouldn't be a track up... I don't know I could be proven wrong but... yeah... I don't know... Also Rayman over Steve?
It's still circumstantial to me. It makes sense to show new characters with new music. Zelda likely has multiple new songs, though it's also possible there's no new Majora's Mask remix to show for Skull Kid.

Rayman is a more expressive and interesting character then Steve, who, if played true to his series, would look very, very boring in action..

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It's still circumstantial to me. It makes sense to show new characters with new music. Zelda likely has multiple new songs, though it's also possible there's no new Majora's Mask remix to show for Skull Kid.

Rayman is a more expressive and interesting character then Steve, who, if played true to his series, would look very, very boring in action..
Yeah. Steve is very blocky and stiff and I don't think that it will translate well into Smash.

TreeBranch

Smash Ace
I don't think we should jump to any conclusions here. If he was under NDA, he would not to say this. He could have deleted it to stop the hype.

Q-Long

Smash Lord

I think he is messing with people lol

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Seems as big as Shantae's developers asking for her in Smash. And we know how that panned out.
What if he deleted it so he wasn't spammed with people asking if Sora's in smash?

Well first... This is Square-Enix.
Not an Indie Developer... While it can be like Banjo-Kazoire and Phil...the difference is that well.

It's Square.
Also they already get spammed for sora4smash like Jesus. Get outside of Smash community and almost everything KH/Square related people beg for Sora in Smash.

Just the fact that he ACKNOWLEDGED it is already big. Especially knowing him.

If he signed an NDA I don't think he would slip up so easily. He probably misunderstood the question.
I don't think we should jump to any conclusions here. If he was under NDA, he would not to say this. He could have deleted it to stop the hype.
Yes and Yes.
That's 100% possible.
However Nothing stop him to do like Phil Spencer and just aknowledge it-
The fact that he Deleted it IS weird.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Not really.
If any developer was asked if they wanted their IP in Smash, name a single person who would say no to the idea.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Well first... This is Square-Enix.
Not an Indie Developer... While it can be like Banjo-Kazoire and Phil...the difference is that well.

It's Square.
Also they already get spammed for sora4smash like Jesus. Get outside of Smash community and almost everything KH/Square related people beg for Sora in Smash.

Yes and Yes.
That's 100% possible.
However Nothing stop him to do like Phil Spencer and just aknowledge it-
The fact that he Deleted it IS weird.
Doesn't really matter who it is. They're both companies who would be under NDA.

People beg for Banjo-Kazooie constantly. Hasn't happened. Probably won't happen, unfortunately.
I fail to see ANY difference beyond bias.

Poopyhead

Smash Cadet
i would squee if steve got in omg the reaction would be so great. i hope it's true just for the memes

Mod Edit: ...Slightly changed your message to make it more appropriate.

Poopyhead Edit: i've been straight choking for 20 minutes p*e is a curse word

Last edited:

AlphaSSB

Bring Back Star Fox
3DS FC
0018-1370-8449
Switch FC
0691-1639-9303
If he was under a non-disclosure agreement, he wouldn't have said anything. I don't think he'd be forgetful about something like that.

My take on it: He saw the image, thought "Yes, Sora in Smash would be cool" and replied to it. Then realized he may have just kicked a hornet hype nest and deleted the tweet.

Captain Fun

Smash Lord
IIRC Ko Takeuchi, the Rhythm Heaven/Wario Ware Illustrator guy once said on twitter that he'd love Ashley in Smash, and promptly deleted the tweet. Sometimes this stuff just happens.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Nope

That would have never made it out to the light

Sakurai even insisted to watch all smash stations like a hawk so nothing gets leak
(The only one to slip the crack so far is Vergeben trying to find his rat)

Besides that could just be fan art and it would have been deleted in milliseconds if real

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Just a small pet peeve of mine, but an NDA is not a one-size-fits-all contract. They're specifically tailored to situation and what the NDA does and does not limit is different every time.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
While extremely unlikely, it’d be amusing if there were a third party deal where part of the deal would be that the third party would break the NDA just to throw everyone off.

Last edited:

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
So you know how whenever someone suggest cuts, they get a lot of flack for it? Well I've been thinking about how I would decide on cuts for a new Smash Bros game and what I would do differently then most people who suggest these lists tend to do. First of all, it'll be a priority list. Characters on the top of the list will be the first to be cut, characters lower on the list will be characters I'd be more hesitant to. I see cutting as more of a necessary evil then a way to "clean" the games roster of characters I don't personally care for as most people who suggest this sort of list seem to.

I'm keeping all echoes and Dr.Mario unless the character they are echoing is cut as well. Cutting them seems unnecessary.

:ultyounglink: - Young Link and Pichu have their fans, but most of them were pretty understanding when they weren't in Brawl. At the end of the day they are just a smaller Link and a smaller Pikachu.
:ultpichu: - See above.
:ultwiifittrainer: - Wii Fit Trainer has her charms in Smash, but her popularity never took off as a joke character the same way Mr.G&W or Duck Hunt did. She was fine as a one off thing, but I don't think many people would miss her.
:ultlucas: - I'd hate to say it, but Lucas's fanbase is pretty niche. Nothing personal against the kid, it's just that the Mother series is already lucky to even have Ness.
:ultroy::ultchrom: - Even if Roy has been decloned a bit, even I won't deny there's an over saturation of FE characters in Smash. It was a toss up between him, Ike and Corrin, but ultimately I decided to cut the one who's least unique in move set and play style. I'd still be really sad to see him go though. Naturally no Roy also means no Chrom, unfortunately.
:ultjigglypuff: - Being a legendary member of the original 12 has given her plot armor so far, but let's be real here; even if she's still fairly popular in Japan she's not exactly necessary in anyway. Pikachu, Pokemon Trainer, and Mewtwo basically have all of gen 1's bases covered, so Jiggs is just frosting on the cake.
:ultpalutena: - Another character who I'd hate to see go but would ultimately consider cutting anyway just because Kid Icarus sadly doesn't seem to have much of a future. I love Uprising to bits but I think that game's representation would still be fine even if it only had Pit.
:ultgreninja: - Greninja is popular, don't get me wrong, but whether it'll stand the test of time like Gen 1 mons or Lucario is still up in the air. I feel like it's the least recognizable of the admittedly strong Pokemon selection we currently have. Pokemon representation is already solid and I wouldn't be bothered too heavily to let one more guy go but of course I'm heavily biased in Ivysaur's favor.
:ultmiifighters: - Now this is one I'd be heavily conflicted on cutting. It's really novel being able to play as Mr.Rodgers, Abraham Lincoln or Star Butterfly, but these guys seem like a little bit of a pain to develop for because they're essentially three different characters. Even if they borrow several moves from other members of the roster, they still more resource heavy then what they're worth. Maybe they'd be more popular if they were allowed online and at tournaments though, so we'll see if more people play in them in Ultimate.
:ultrob: - I really love what a unique character ROB is and what he brings to the table with his playstyle, but just like Wii Fit Trainer, I don't think the fanbase will mourn his loss too heavily. But perhaps I'm just being heartless in suggesting that we kill off the last of a dying race.

If I were the dev, I might give :ultdarksamus: the old Doctor Mario treatment and make a few more tweaks so she's just barely outside of clone status. I don't think she's needs to be a full-fledged unique character but a lot of her fans don't seem fully satisfied with her echo status, so may as well throw them a bone.

Now I know this topic can be touchy, so feel free to start roasting me for suggesting that ROB is more important then Roy and Jiggles.
I feel your list favors good characters a little too much.
I feel pretty much all retros are cutable under your description. Corrin could probably also be added to the list.

Last edited:

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
This seems really petty and childish.
...Okay?

Not sure what you're trying to accomplish here by responding to me with that. If you're looking for a fight, well, that isn't really my thing. I'm not gonna spend hours convincing you that Steve is the bestest best thing in the world. You can have your opinion on him, and I'll have mine. I'm sorry he seems to cause you such distress that you feel the need to make other people feel miserable and not enjoy the game. I guess people aren't allowed to like characters or games anymore.
At this point, I will be excited for any character to be honest. I got my most wanted character (Snake). Everything else is just dessert. I will play Bayonetta vs any character that is suppose to be a joke (jigglypuff/ pichu/ Zelda etc.) or meme and I am very harsh on beginners in Smash to let them know what they're getting themselves into; so I pick Bayonetta. I will weed out people who are better suited for Casual Smash. My entire college is competitive players. There is no point in doing casual play because we destroy any casual that tries to play with us in a casual setting (we're just naturally good sorry). Don't be going on For Glory (and hopefully a ranking mode) and expect any sympathy from me as I will definitely pick top tiers in general. I only taunt vs people who do basic crap like roll spamming / air-dodge spamming and massive camping.

I will play Steve if he was top tier for example; . My loyalty follows the tier list (yes I'm one of these type of people and isn't afraid of admitting it, how about you?)

I currently play :ultcloud::ultbayonetta::ultzss::ultsonic::ultsheik::ultrosalina::ultdiddy::ultcorrin::ultmewtwo::ultmarth:[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:

MainJPW

M.T.A
I'm glad I know some Japanese cause I've tweeted at him and survived

It was on one of his "insect" call out tweets and I said it was funny haha.
I will learn a whole new language just so I don't have to be considered a brainless insect.
Nope

That would have never made it out to the light

Sakurai even insisted to watch all smash stations like a hawk so nothing gets leak
(The only one to slip the crack so far is Vergeben trying to find his rat)

Besides that could just be fan art and it would have been deleted in milliseconds if real
What are you talking about? This isn't about the fanart, it's about Hashimoto acknowledging that tweet.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I will learn a whole new language just so I don't have to be considered a brainless insect.

What are you talking about? This isn't about the fanart, it's about Hashimoto acknowledging that tweet.
Oh I see that means he supports Sora in smash bros

However that Walt Disney roadblock is still too big in my opinion

LetterO

Smash Lord
At this point, I will be excited for any character to be honest. I got my most wanted character (Snake). Everything else is just dessert. I will play Bayonetta vs any character that is suppose to be a joke (jigglypuff/ pichu/ Zelda etc.) or meme and I am very harsh on beginners in Smash to let them know what they're getting themselves into; so I pick Bayonetta. I will weed out people who are better suited for Casual Smash. My entire college is competitive players. There is no point in doing casual play because we destroy any casual that tries to play with us in a casual setting (we're just naturally good sorry). Don't be going on For Glory (and hopefully a ranking mode) and expect any sympathy from me as I will definitely pick top tiers in general. I only taunt vs people who do basic crap like roll spamming / air-dodge spamming and massive camping.

I will play Steve if he was top tier for example; . My loyalty follows the tier list (yes I'm one of these type of people and isn't afraid of admitting it, how about you?)

I currently play :ultcloud::ultbayonetta::ultzss::ultsonic::ultsheik::ultrosalina::ultdiddy::ultcorrin::ultmewtwo::ultmarth:
You realize alot of players may be kids, yes? Kids that are trying to have a good time and not being endlessly destroyed by people to "weed out people who are best suited for Casual Smash".

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So what you're trying to say is

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Minecraft Steve getting in would be the day every Smash-themed website faced a collective meltdown. Oaths would be sworn, blood would run trough the streets, preorders would be cancelled (but not really)... truly, he would be a harbinger of the apocalypse.

And I, for one, would find it all hilarious. I’m not a fan of Minecraft, I think there are a ton of better options, but all in all, I would find it so stupid it would wrap around to being great. I still don’t trust Verge, and I certainly don’t trust this new guy, but I aaaaaaaaalmost want to see this happen. :laugh:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom