• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Not sure if this has been talked about. Possible this could come alongside a n64 vc with a popular n64 character reveal. Banjo?
It does get me wondering if Nintendo would be able to get 15 or 20 major titles without Rare involved, given that third party support for the N64 was quite low. Smash, Mario 64, the two Zeldas, and Star Fox 64 are obvious, but without Rare, what other major games could they include?

Other games that come to mind are DK64, Kirby 64, F-Zero X, and one of the Mario Parties, likely 2 or 3.

Last edited:

Exalt4747

Smash Journeyman
I mean, they're not wrong though I have a hard time seeing her getting in. It's orobably because I'm biased towards RPGs and that's what I think of when Sqaure is the subject, and I'd much rather have a classic FF character(be it Black Mage, Cecil or Celes) or my boy Crono.
This. My mind really does not register Lara as a "Square Enix character" and I'd much rather more jrpg rep.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
It does get me wondering if Nintendo would be able to get 15 or 20 major titles without Rare involved, given that third party support for the N64 was quite low. Smash, Mario 64, the two Zeldas, and Star Fox 64 are obvious, but without Rare, what other major games could they include?
Don't forget Nintendo's right hand man Ubisoft.

Pakky

Smash Hero

A little :ultbayonetta:/:ultzelda: and a dab of :ultlink:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Because countless people in this thread have been insisting Lara Croft is a gaming icon and I'd probably be shot if she wasn't on this list due to this threads recent obsession with her.
Why do you not think Tomb Raider is a gaming icon?

Genuine question because all the evidence puts it up there with Zelda and Final Fantasy.

D

Deleted member

F-Zero X, perhaps? DK 64 also seems possible seeing as how they re-released in on Wii U VC. But dang, trying to come up with a good 15 games without Rare is hard. Superman 64 should be in easy.

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
And I weird or do people not actually play competitively to have fun? Casual and competitive are just two different ways to have fun, are they not?

View attachment 165808
Yes, but from a beginner perspective, getting rekt constantly may not be fun to many. You have to get rekt or lose to improve and many doesn't have that mentality. It's when you reach certain understanding of the game fundamentals along with acquiring knowledge on self improvement when it becomes fun as you can understand options. Other Fighting games; this should already be expected by beginners or even casuals that they will get rekt and must self-improve or practice to get better. Smash is different; smash has a much wider audience that comes with many not knowing the expectations that comes with fighting games (niche genre again). So yes, competitive is fun; losing is not fun (to most) but there is always knowledge to be learned as to why you loss and how to improve. Beginners has to first learn the fundamentals and basics to even begin to improve. This has always been the biggest barrier of entry. Yes, Smash is simplistic in terms of buttons, but you will still get rekt just as easily if your a beginner like in other fighters.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Lemme piece together what it seems each Square Enix rep in the running has going for them.

Mii Costume in Smash 4, almost certainly due to fan demand. Even his song came along for the trailer. Received a Splash Screen.
Sakurai has discussed his own want for Geno in Smash.
Indisputably a king of the fandom, has been for a long, long time. The Big 3 don't really exist, I've learned, but if there were a big 5 overall? Geno's in there.
Likely much easier to negotiate to include in the game due to Squenix's disinterest in him
Huge Nintendo relevance as he's only appeared in Mario games

Huge icon of gaming
Decently requested. Not a frontrunner by any means until recent months, but requested.
Popular character in America and Japan.
Some Nintendo relevance as a good few of his games have been on consoles.

Long-time famous character
Nintendo relevance, her older games were on Nintendo consoles
Again, very iconic and popular (at least in the West; unsure of Japan)

Dragon Quest is a very popular and long-running, relevant franchise
Nintendo relevance; a lot of DQ games are on Nintendo consoles.
Likely a great deal of moveset potential

I also see Neku and Crono around.
Neku has Nintendo relevance and good moveset potential.
Crono also has great Nintendo relevance and is a pretty iconic character of gaming history.

But yea. I see those as the main 4 contenders, and I wanted to bring Neku and Crono too.

Apologies if any of this is ignorant. Only pieced together what my knowledge of each reps' virtues are.

Let me know how you guys feel. Who's in?

(Important to note: Sora's status as a Squenix rep is debatable.)

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Why do you not think Tomb Raider is a gaming icon?

Genuine question because all the evidence puts it up there with Zelda and Final Fantasy.
I likely sounded dismissive. I fully agree that Tomb Raider is a gaming icon.
My point was that her prominence here was very sudden and out of nowhere, that's all.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Did you miss how we all unanimously said this was nothing?
This ain't a yikes. This is a zoinks from me.
>asks if Sora is in Smash
>"yes"
>tweet is then deleted
>this doesn't mean anything
*takes out camera*
Okay, hold still for just a brief moment...

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I saw a leak on fireden with buck bumble earlier but didn’t think it was worth sharing, it was 99% of the samey safe bets stuff

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Let’s all try and support Lara Croft for Smash
Because there's no way any of those people could be lying. It all must be real. And Isaac still doesn't have a damn beard.
Believable enough for me...just needs Lara Croft

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
1. Super Mario 64
2. Zelda: Ocarina of Time
3. Zelda: Majora's Mask
4. StarFox 64
5. Kirby and the Crystal Shards
6. Pokemon Stadium
7. F-Zero X
8. Wave Racer 64
9. 1080 Snowboard Racing
10. Donkey Kong 64
11. Dr. Mario 64 (underrated classic imo)
12. Pokemon Snap
13. Mario Party 2
14. Bomberman 64
15. unironically buck bumble **** you

Well that was easy @Tougon

>asks if Sora is in Smash
>"yes"
>tweet is then deleted
>this doesn't mean anything
*takes out camera*
Okay, hold still for just a brief moment...
>forgetting NDA
hold on fam, let me get this mirror for you.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Geno:
Huge Nintendo relevance as he's only appeared in Mario games
I'm not sure how a character from a single SNES game in the 90s and a minor, totally optional, cameo in the 2000s has "huge Nintendo relevance".

The way I see the order is: Lara > Agnes = Sora = Erdrick > FF character > Neku > Chrono > Geno

Last edited:

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Any """"""""""leak"""""""""" that is taken with an ancient camera running on a potato battery and also with the worst angle one could possibly take a picture at should be immediately disregarded.
That was one of the reasons people thought the ESRB leak was fake, tho.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I'm not sure how a character from a single SNES game in the 90s and a minor, totally optional, cameo in the 2000s has "huge Nintendo relevance".

The way I see the order is: Lara > Agnes = Sora = Erdrick > FF character > Neku > Chrono > Geno
Because he's literally only appeared in games published by Nintendo on Nintendo consoles.
I'm not sure how you can get more Nintendo relevant than that.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

1. Super Mario 64
4. StarFox 64
6. Pokemon Stadium
7. F-Zero X
8. Wave Racer 64
9. 1080 Snowboard Racing
10. Donkey Kong 64
12. Pokemon Snap
13. Mario Party 2
14. Bomberman 64

>forgetting NDA
Holy **** how did I forget Mario Party, Pokemon Stadium, and Kirby?

Also we're both forgetting Mario Kart 64, which seems like a no-brainer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So...Sora accidentally confirmed or what?
Nope, this thing has happened before and people refuse to learn.

Holy **** how did I forget Mario Party, Pokemon Stadium, and Kirby?

Also we're both forgetting Mario Kart 64, which seems like a no-brainer.
I'm concerned about how many games we would get in an N64 classic period, and how much it would cost. Ninty prices n64 games higher than before.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047

At least with Geno, we have direct quotes from Sakurai saying that he's wanted to include the character since Brawl.

https://www.eventhubs.com/news/2016...ans-one-most-requested-smash-bros-characters/

That's more than what we have to go on for most characters.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
1. Super Mario 64
4. StarFox 64
6. Pokemon Stadium
7. F-Zero X
8. Wave Racer 64
9. 1080 Snowboard Racing
10. Donkey Kong 64
12. Pokemon Snap
13. Mario Party 2
14. Bomberman 64

>forgetting NDA
Impressed that you didn’t add Smash 64, Paper Mario, or Mario Kart

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
It makes me laugh that they tried to convince us that we were getting a New Vegas stage.

That's less likely than Vault Boy being playable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom