• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Their jobs aren't on the line for leaking Steve?
I think it's probably due to the Square Enix character only talked about internally, so that means there's less people that actually know about that information within the company. Therefore leading to Nintendo being able to deal with whoever gave the information.
After all, I think Verge's source said that representatives from SE showed up, correct me on that if I'm wrong.

Now, Steve, or any Minecraft content, was probably known throughout a good chunk of people working there. Meaning it's a bit harder to track down who let it out.

But this is just me throwing out an explanation and could be complete bull****.

Potato_

Smash Lord
Sora is Disney through and through

The non geno ones that would be large is factual enough to hide them are Erdrick, Crono and possibiliy even Sephiroth (Assuming the smash direct intentionally hid one winged angel because **** off adding him and not that tune).

Dunno where this insistence on Lara comes from, again, I have to list teemo as an example of famous game =/= smash material

Uhh... Nintendo you trying to tell us something?

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The fact according to them that Nintendo is being so secretive about the SE rep leads me to believe Nintendo thinks this is a major get.

Which either makes me think it's Geno to please the fans and they don't want that getting out.

Or it's another of their big gaming icons like Lara or Sora.
If it were really them keeping it so secretive that no one knew anything more than yeah, it's Square, then I'm more than inclined to agree that it's most likely Lara over Geno. Lara is globally iconic not just from games but film as well.

I don't think it's them being incredibly secretive though. I just think it's a rumor that spread that "Oh, I heard they had talks with Square about a new character". I think it's real but I dunno if I'm 100% on board with it being base. I could see it as DLC too.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
The fact according to them that Nintendo is being so secretive about the SE rep leads me to believe Nintendo thinks this is a major get.

Which either makes me think it's Geno to please the fans and they don't want that getting out.

Boy I sure hope it's the one with the guns. No seriously, Lara would be pretty cool, and I got a family member who really wants her or Phoenix Wright in the game.

Geno would be cool too, but I mostly want that to happen for other people than for my own hype.

Sora would be a similar deal, but I'm pretty meh on him in general. (though his games are fun despite the garbage fire of a plot.)

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
yea her design is quite nice

Woah

Suddenly I want Katalina for Smash.
Card suites are part of my preferred aesthetic.

Say what you want about my reasons.

I really hope it's Geno.
I really, really hope it's Geno.
You could even say...

I wish it'll be Geno!

i'm here all week
I don't doubt Geno will eventually be in Smash Ultimate. :4pacman:

Noipoi

Howdy!
*trailer begins; includes Mario, Peach, and Bowser*

Geno
Grants a Wish!

*proceed with gameplay, includes Mallow assist trophy*

*last seconds of CGI trailer*
When Mallow is summoned, he cries.
Like the crybaby he is.

Or maybe he makes thunderstorms or something, I dunno.

Darkraid

Smash Champion

If jobs are on the line, it might be sora

D

Deleted member

Oh my Jesus god if this guy is telling the truth and is backed by Vergey a.

A Granblue character.

I...what
I'll bet my account we're not getting Granblue in the roster. Every character has appeared on a console and in some way or another. I can see music and assist trophies making the cut for these mobile games, but for a full-on character in the roster? In that case, go for a Kantai Collection character, too. Let's add in browser games. Sky's the limit, right?

Untouch

Smash Master
What is this about a potential Granblue Fantasy character? This thread moves way too fast.
  • Someone straight up said that Steve is playable.
  • Vergeben said that the leaker might be correct and that they aren't just a fake leaker.
  • Said leaker also suggested that a Granblue character is in the game, with INCREDIBLY sketchy details and immediately backpedaled.

Originality

Smash Journeyman
If you add Katalina you might as well add Teemo from league of legends as a playable character. I mean, popular game right? And nintendo has done stuff with tencent, who own riot games, teemo is an easy choice for P R O M O T I O N, I'm, pretty sure a while back verge hinted that a league of legends fighting game was in development, so it fits with verge theory too, teemo's a lock trust me.

I really don't like the degrading of standards of what consistutes a 3rd party, even Steve minecraft has earned his salt enough to be a respectable 3rd party, even if it's gonna be obnoxious looking at the reactions, gacha is the same type of scum as lootboxes and i dunno how these guys get away with it in the same way that EA doesn't.
Alright but if we're adding League characters my vote is for Poppy.

Katalina is a very weird choice. I've seen it said that it's Japan only, do we know if Granblue is coming to the west at all?

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Man as a almost purely Nintendo fan the fact that the speculation today is over 3 new third party characters is pretty sad :( so much Nintendo still to rep.

Obviously the ...Granbull? Character is the odd one out. Is she even the main character of that series...is there a main character? Looking into it.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I'll bet my account we're not getting Granblue in the roster. Every character has appeared on a console and in some way or another. I can see music and assist trophies making the cut for these mobile games, but for a full-on character in the roster? In that case, go for a Kantai Collection character, too. Let's add in browser games. Sky's the limit, right?
But Nintendo suddenly is very much pushing their mobile department. This could be a gateway to show how supportive they are of mobile games.

Aerospherology

Smash Lord
If Steve is in, then he will be announced at Minecon. It's next weekend. Maybe Banjo too. His latest appearance on a Nintendo console is a Minecraft skin. (correct me if I'm wrong)

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I'm torn.

I want Geno for his fans and my roommate who has been obsessed with the idea of him in Smash since before I moved in with him.

But I want Lara Croft as well because I'm a selfish gay who wants more dual pistol queens in the game.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Sora is Disney through and through
We got Full 100% confirmation that he was Disney back in March in a youtube Video- Until then we all were in a gray light between "SE have the design, Disney the concept" etc...

For someone out of all that licencing ****, Sora could be Heavily seen as a Square Rep, which is probably why people are still link him with that to this days. Heck, if I was a leaker and wanted to leak him without killing myself and not getting traced, what would pass better?
"Hey dude a Square Character is in" which leave multiple possibilities, meaning there is less chance to get traced back. Or.
"Hey dude there a Disney character" where there is one possibilities and there problable like 5 people in the confidence meaning I get traced back?

Not saying that Sora is Out, or being overly protective of Sora, but dismissing Sora because "he's disney" legally, but forgetting it's Square Roots is like saying that Geno isn't a Mario characters because he's a Square property, forgetting it's nintendo's roots.

But, I'm still leaning toward a DQ rep personally, like 60% between Erdrick/Eight 25%Geno (Chance down each day with the Music theory) 15%Sora

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I doubt Steve is getting in...

Minecraft is in a similar situation to Monster Hunter, in which the series is better represented by something like a Stage or an assist trophy... but not so much as a character.

Mimique made that same distinction, which is why he predicted Monster Hunter would get something like Rathalos as a boss or assist. The Monster Hunter series was synonymous with Nintendo, having it’s recent and most successful games on Nintendo consoles at the time. So when it comes to getting content from that series, what better place to start off with than non other than Rathalos, (although I do wish we did get a Monster Hunter character). Minecraft has the same thing, except with the Creeper. Let’s face it, the Creeper is everywhere: merchandise, most popular mob, even in the series logo. So if Minecraft does get something, what other place to start off with than non other than the Creeper itself.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
If jobs are on the line, it might be sora
If it was Sora, the mere instance of saying "Another SE character" would force them to be teleported into the Disney Hell pits. Where one is forced to wear a Goofy suit while in a Sauna for days on end, yet the suffering doesn't stop.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
yea her design is quite nice

You know, I really wouldn't mind her at this point... I'd already be happy with Steve and Incineroar... Besides, I like the Obscure Pick Characters. They make speculation more fun.., I'd definitely be up for her...
Note: Someone Better Make A Character Icon For Her...

Last edited:

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If Steve is in, then he will be announced at Minecon. It's next weekend, too. Maybe Banjo too. His latest appearance on a Nintendo console is a Minecraft skin. (correct me if I'm wrong)
Minecon Earth

gosh, I like Minecraft, but they talk like everyone watching is a toddler, despite the game being for all ages and their fanbase varying in age greatly, and them saying some stuff that doesn't match what their voice seems to intend. I dunno why they suddenly changed marketing direction like this last year.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Man as a almost purely Nintendo fan the fact that the speculation today is over 3 new third party characters is pretty sad :( so much Nintendo still to rep.

Obviously the ...Granbull? Character is the odd one out. Is she even the main character of that series...is there a main character? Looking into it.
She's not, but she's your first party member.

My only guess is they wouldn't want to make the MC due to them being literal blank slates.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Eh what the heck. I'm gonna throw Elma into my prediction list too for the base. I mean I wouldn't be surprised if she and Rex & Pyra both gets in being how much Sakurai loves XenoBlade.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
I could see Steve being the first DLC character to make it to Smash. Heck, I could see Steve being announced at Game of the Year Awards according to Leaky's leak. Microsoft is known for their greed and why not show it by making Steve as DLC.

SE character (Probably Geno) could be a base character alongside Incineroar and Ken.

It fits well to the Smash Direct as it includes a relevant character, a fan favorite, and an echo like thr Smash Direct prior.

I could see them in the base roster:
* SE (Possibly Geno due to fan favorite)
* Incineroar (Pokemon and relevancy)
* Ken (OG Clone)

And then the DLC will be Steve.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I doubt Steve is getting in...

Minecraft is in a similar situation to Monster Hunter, in which the series is better represented by something like a Stage and an assist trophy... but not so much as a character.
The funny thing is Monster Hunter isn't better represented by the stage and assist trophy. That series has playable character all over it too.

Neither series is this weak ''You can't make a moveset out of that!~~" that everyone seems to think.

Untouch

Smash Master
Wouldn't Microsoft want to stay away from promoting the default skin? They sell skin packs in Minecraft.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
God man.

What is. What is happening.

Okay let me get this straight.

Vergeben's backing the guy who said a Granblue and Minecraft rep are in, and they both are unsure of the Square rep.

This is.
Uh.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
If Steve is in, then he will be announced at Minecon. It's next weekend. Maybe Banjo too. His latest appearance on a Nintendo console is a Minecraft skin. (correct me if I'm wrong)
I think Smash would be better for a Nintendo Direct. People at Minecon probably wouldn't care as much as people do watching Directs.

D

Deleted member

But Nintendo suddenly is very much pushing their mobile department. This could be a gateway to show how supportive they are of mobile games.
Music and assist trophies can work just as well. Appearances at Apple's keynotes and individual directs are the most I can see Nintendo pushing it.

But then we have to talk about legality and copyright stuff, which I assume it'd probably be just as a nightmare as getting a Dragon Quest character in.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Music and assist trophies can work just as well. Appearances at Apple's keynotes and individual directs are the most I can see Nintendo pushing it.

But then we have to talk about legality and copyright stuff, which I assume it'd probably be just as a nightmare as getting a Dragon Quest character in.
Personally? And selfishly? I hope it's a nightmare to get a DQ character in. God I want Geno...

Noipoi

Howdy!
I still think it's funny how when I didn't care about Geno he was a lock in our eyes, but now that i'm chilling on Star Road all these other Square characters show up out of no where :laugh:.

D

Deleted member

The SE character is in an interesting predicament right now.

If it's a legit source and Nintendo and SE have it locked down so tight that no one can safely say who it is without getting sued to heck and back, then that honestly makes me think that this character is gonna be the final reveal and they're banking on it being BIG.

Another scenario is that this piece of info is the obligatory false info that all legit leaks tend to have and it amounts to nothing. The way I see it, if you're someone who's at least willing to entertain Verge because of his current 100% track record with this game, the characters we got in the running for speculation right now are:

Incineroar (Pretty much viewed as a lock by most at this point)

Ken (Was viewed as a lock before Verge said anything, and Verge saying something only helped him)

Steve (Two leakers with a known track record backing each other up and saying it's looking very possible but still need to hear a little more before being 100% on it)

The SE character is the odd one out here. Now, assuming Verge is 100% legit in the end and we don't get Gematsu 2.0 here, I'd say the SE character is the most likely piece of info to end up outdated or misinformation. The fact that he seems very unsure about it while he is willing to comment on Steve tells me this is what he is the least confident in right now. We'll have to wait and see how this all plays out. One thing's for sure, though: This game has one heck of a speculation period compared to Wii U's. :p

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Who is this queen!?
Someone who is suddenly on my wishlist.

God man.

What is. What is happening.

Okay let me get this straight.

Vergeben's backing the guy who said a Granblue and Minecraft rep are in, and they both are unsure of the Square rep.

This is.
Uh.
It's okay. Take deep breaths.
We don't actually know much until the next direct. I think it'll be fine.

And who knows? Maybe the direct isn't really that far off.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Dunno where this insistence on Lara comes from, again, I have to list teemo as an example of famous game =/= smash material
Honest question because I don't feel like looking it up on my phone and I genuinely don't know.

Has there ever been a Tomb Raider game released on a Nintendo console? Any trashy Gameboy attempts or a Gamecube multiplat I don't know about?

Because I'm racking my brain and can't think of one.

Shroob

Sup?
Here's an idea.

Why don't we just 'ask' Verg is he agrees with Katalina?

Because from what we saw, he literally only backed up Minecraft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom