• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
Imagine if a particular Pokémon did extremely well on the Ballot compared to most others, but Pokémon Company went and said "no use this one we want him to be popular."

Of course, there were over 700 or so at the time (and now over 800), so they may as well go with the marketing option once again :shrug:

edit: personally, Incineroar seems cool so I wouldn't really care, though I'd really like Gengar or Gardevoir. We already have my favorite, Pikachu.

Last edited:

LetterO

Smash Lord
As someone who really likes Incineroar and am hyped he's most likely in, it sucks seeing a bunch of people online (not here) hating on him. Feeling much more sympathetic towards Isabelle fans now than I was before.

Last edited:

MargnetMan23

Smash Lord
It's what we in the business call "A loaded question."

"So do you support the LGBT movement or are you a disgusting homophobe?"
*raises finger
Eh... carry on.

Any ways, I can't say any of my favorite Pokemon have made it into the roster, but I at least like most of them to some extent. Besides, I don't think anyone else would want the Pokemon roster I'd pick.

tumblr_nm1ljz5Fei1rh0naxo1_500.gif

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
God him and the Yiga were such a disappointment. Built up so much, they seemed SO damn interesting, and then... nothing really happens with them.

In regards to Smash, I want to see someone come up with a unique Impa moveset that doesn't use Hyrule Warriors' design. They basically made her from scratch from that game, and they did a damn good job of it. I can't see a unique moveset for her being better than that.
Every boss was kinda lame.

Your options were 5 different flavors of Ganon or a bunch of reused ogres/golems.

Noipoi

Howdy!
As someone who really likes Incineroar and am hyped he's most likely in, it sucks seeing a bunch of people online (not here) hating on him. Feeling much more sympathetic towards Isabelle fans now than I was before.
Yeah it sucks, but think of it this way. When Incineroar was leaked before his official reveal everyone hated him, but when they saw him in action they warmed up to him, it'll probably be the same here! His strong personality and hilarious movements are sure to win at least a couple haters over!

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
If the final roster is capped off with Ken, Incineroar and Geno. My hopes for DLC if added:
  1. Issac
  2. Shadow
  3. Rex + Pyra&Mythra
  4. Dixie Kong
  5. Rayman
  6. Travis Touchdown
  7. Banjo & Kazooie
I only picked 7 because Smash Wii U had 7 DLC additions.
Who knows, if Smash Ultimate does do DLC there might be less, might be more.

Last edited:

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Imagine if a particular Pokémon did extremely well on the Ballot compared to most others, but Pokémon Company went and said "no use this one we want him to be popular."

Of course, there were over 700 or so at the time (and now over 800), so they may as well go with the marketing option once again :shrug:
I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if that actually happened.
After all, ORAS was out and heavily promoted around the time of the ballot, so a Hoenn Pokémon like Blaziken, Sceptile, or even Deoxys could've garnered quite a lot of popularity and attention in terms of votes.

But given Sun and Moon are Pokémon's 20th anniversary games, I could see TPCI and Game Freak trying to dissuade Sakurai from a ballot pick and have him choose a candidate from Sun and Moon.
So therefore leaving that Pokémon scrapped or ineligible due to the companies saying no.

That's actually pretty crappy if you consider how likely and possible that situation is.

HeroOfClocktown

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HeroOfClocktown
Anyone think it's possible instead of one new Pokémon rep, we get another trainer ?

Everybody is thinking Incineroar.. what about an echo/new trainer, with Popplio, Torracat, & Decidueye?

If we do end up getting a new Pokémon rep, personally I would love it to be Rhydon. I've wanted him to be in Smash for years now, as he is by far my favourite Pokémon. I can see a similar moveset to Bowser.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
So incredibly glad BoTW got content for Smash Ultimate. Just finished it again tonight, by far my favorite Zelda game.

I think this also marks the first original eight to get a major redesign. Hero of the Wild Link isn't even wearing the classic green garb by default or in any promotional material.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Anyone think it's possible instead of one new Pokémon rep, we get another trainer ?

Everybody is thinking Incineroar.. what about an echo/new trainer, with Popplio, Torracat, & Decidueye?
I dunno, I kinda think Pokemon Trainer will be the only character with their mechanic. For the sake of being unique.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend

What if we got Jessie & James to promote Let's Go? It seems they may have more of a presence than in Yellow.

Meowth could have his usual voice actor.

Last edited:

Chrono.

God him and the Yiga were such a disappointment. Built up so much, they seemed SO damn interesting, and then... nothing really happens with them.

In regards to Smash, I want to see someone come up with a unique Impa moveset that doesn't use Hyrule Warriors' design. They basically made her from scratch from that game, and they did a damn good job of it. I can't see a unique moveset for her being better than that.
Knowing how Zelda works, they'll probably show up in a later game.

But yeah, they were pretty underused. One sidequest I did like was of the Sheikah guy who used to be part of the Yiga clan and his wife was murdered as a punishment, was pretty chilling stuff. Would've liked to see that side of them more.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I only picked 7 because Smash Wii U had 7 DLC additions.
Who knows, if Smash Ultimate does do DLC there might be less, might be more.
I hope Smash Ultimate has at least 8 DLC characters if there are any. The fact that the Wii U version supported 8-player smash but only had 7 DLC characters bugged me.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
So incredibly glad BoTW got content for Smash Ultimate. Just finished it again tonight, by far my favorite Zelda game.

I think this also marks the first original eight to get a major redesign. Hero of the Wild Link isn't even wearing the classic green garb by default or in any promotional material.
Samus got a visual upgrade if that counts. Yoshi got updated moveset wise.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm still baffled Sakurai never considered Meowth for a playable character. He does feel like he could had been one since Melee or among the original 12 replacing Jigglypuff (Which is understandable due to her popularity at the time and modeling her off after Kirby).

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Right... buuuuuuuuuuut Maz Koshia was pretty cool imo

Edit: Buuuuuuuut he wasn't in the base game ...
DUDE, I COMPLETELY FORGOT.

Yeah, Maz Koshia's the best boss in that game by FAR and in fact, one of the best bosses in Zelda period. He's challenging, asks you to use all your tools, has a great soundtrack, and is the perfect sendoff to a game like Zelda.

Or you could cheese him by just eating atk up +10000 and infinite stamina for a spin2win heavy.

Jdaster64

Smash Ace
NNID
Jdaster64
3DS FC
4141-3026-8303
Switch FC
SW 7540 0069 7907
I have the unfortunate situation where I love pokemon...but don't really like any of the ones we've gotten.
In more or less the same boat, especially pre-Ultimate, as the cut three (Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Pichu in order) are honestly the three I enjoyed playing as the most, and none of the playable Pokémon crack my top fifty or so favorites design-wise. I will say that Incineroar's design isn't personally unappealing by any stretch, though, and that I think there's definitely interesting moveset potential (even if it'll probably not end up gelling with my personal playstyle).

The bigger shame for me is that Pokkén has Braixen playable, one of my two favorites overall, but there's pretty much no reason to expect Smash to double-dip from Gen VI at this point.

Last edited:

Noipoi

Howdy!
I'm still baffled Sakurai never considered Meowth for a playable character. He does feel like he could had been one since Melee or among the original 12 replacing Jigglypuff (Which is understandable due to her popularity at the time and modeling her off after Kirby).
Jigglypuff was chosen in 64 because of two reasons.
1. It's popularity in the anime.
2. She could reuse Kirby's model.

I'm quite sure if it wasn't for reason number two we might have gotten Meowth, and that makes me sad because Meowth is the best.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Jigglypuff was chosen in 64 because of two reasons.
1. It's popularity in the anime.
2. She could reuse Kirby's model.

I'm quite sure if it wasn't for reason number two we might have gotten Meowth, and that makes me sad because Meowth is the best.
Which is why I said.

(Which is understandable due to her popularity at the time and modeling her off after Kirby)

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I never really cared for Meowth. Which is odd because I love cats. Now Espurr tho? That's my baby.

Roberk

Smash Champion
Thoughts for XC2 Torna characters as DLC?

If Torna proves to be popular and successful, then I don't see why not. It's not like the characters are one-offs since Mythra and Jin are extremely prevalent in the main story of XC2 and Addam/Lora have significance as well. The real problem is Rex because while Lora is a central protagonist of her own standalone title, any character from XC2 overall is sure to raise a few eyebrows. Hopefully, these guys have a shot.

HeroOfClocktown

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HeroOfClocktown

Yeah, Maz Koshia's the best boss in that game by FAR and in fact, one of the best bosses in Zelda period. He's challenging, asks you to use all your tools, has a great soundtrack, and is the perfect sendoff to a game like Zelda.

Or you could cheese him by just eating atk up +10000 and infinite stamina for a spin2win heavy.
Battling against him in Master Mode was by far one of the most thrilling Zelda boss battles ever. Even though by that point in the game I was buffed up, I didn't expect a lot of the moves he threw at me. It took a good 10-15 minutes to finish the battle because he healed so rapidly. The music was epic. It really was a great send off to BotW, makes me wish there was a heavier story element and more at risk - as it would have made the battle even better.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Which is why I said.
I know, I was agreeing with you.
I never really cared for Meowth. Which is odd because I love cats. Now Espurr tho? That's my baby.
Espurr should be a Pokeball Pokemon. It would stand around, staring into space. But if you attack it, Espurr opens it's ears and lets out a wicked psychic attack with crazy knock-back.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master
I hope Smash Ultimate has at least 8 DLC characters if there are any. The fact that the Wii U version supported 8-player smash but only had 7 DLC characters bugged me.
My personal hope that's probably too pie-in-the-sky is that Smash Ultimate becomes a games-as-a-service. Prior to E3, I was hoping for a port of 4, but just wish they had a game of every Smash character and just kept supporting it with DLC and porting it. E3 blew me away, because it's so... close to what I would want. And if Nintendo wants a new Smash after Ultimate, which may be likely, I kinda secretly hope it's a completely new franchise with the Smash name, but in a different direction, coinciding with Ultimate.

Let me dream...

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion

If Torna proves to be popular and successful, then I don't see why not. It's not like the characters are one-offs since Mythra and Jin are extremely prevalent in the main story of XC2 and Addam/Lora have significance as well. The real problem is Rex because while Lora is a central protagonist of her own standalone title, any character from XC2 overall is sure to raise a few eyebrows. Hopefully, these guys have a shot.
Man, there's several XC2 characters I'd lobby for Smash. Rex and Pyra seem like the safest bet for DLC, but man, Addam is great, and Lora and Jin would be good too. Also Nia and Dromarch. Dammit, too many good characters.

Chrono.

I'm advocating for Lora now, honestly.

Feels like a more natural fit for the game than Rex, and that's coming from someone who actually likes Rex.

Exalt4747

Smash Journeyman

I wish Rex wasn't such a roadblock.

Fire Emblem seems to kind of have this issue with lords...

Or troll him with bananas, a nice nod to the Yiga clan (adds to the lore, hinting that they have common history with the ancient Sheikah).

lol

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I'm advocating for Lora now, honestly.

Feels like a more natural fit for the game than Rex, and that's coming from someone who actually likes Rex.
I don't mind Rex, but after Torna you've got several other legitimate options. I think Addam and Mythra honestly would be fantastic. Addam is a great personality along with Mythra and he looks less bland than Rex.

Exalt4747

Smash Journeyman
I don't mind Rex, but after Torna you've got several other legitimate options. I think Addam and Mythra honestly would be fantastic. Addam is a great personality along with Mythra and he looks less bland than Rex.
Rex looks really generic to me but a lot of the other cast looks pretty good.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Yeah it sucks, but think of it this way. When Incineroar was leaked before his official reveal everyone hated him, but when they saw him in action they warmed up to him, it'll probably be the same here! His strong personality and hilarious movements are sure to win at least a couple haters over!
I was a hater, now a celebrater.

HeroOfClocktown

Smash Apprentice
NNID
HeroOfClocktown
Or troll him with bananas, a nice nod to the Yiga clan (adds to the lore, hinting that they have common history with the ancient Sheikah).

lol
It could be that it adds to the lore.. but from what Nintendo usually does with Zelda, it's most likely a case of "YIGA GET DISTRACT BY BANANA SO SHIEKAH MONK GET DISTRACT BY BANANA TOO"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom