• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meritocracy

Smash Apprentice
Gonna make a bold prediction:
Shadow won't just be an echo. He'll be fighter #69. I think he'll be a wolf style semi clone like Isabelle.

Putting aside my personal disdain for Sonic, if any 3rd party series deserves a second unique fighter it's Sonic. I legitimately believe this is going to happen.
Disagree, if sonic gets another even semi-unique charecters, I firmly believe it will be Tails, shadow may be a full fighter... After Tails is.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Again, if the Box Theory turns out correct, I feel...very confused as to the absence of Shadow, and Geno as well.
Those 2 just confound me if Shadow indeed isn't returning as an AT.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Again, if the Box Theory turns out correct, I feel...very confused as to the absence of Shadow, and Geno as well.
Persoanlly, i think they are stage 1 dlc. Hype up people spending more money. Who else but shadow and geno in a 20 dollar dlc pack.

But it would be nice to finally get the puppet and end the trilogy of never ever.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
*walks into the smashboards bar* Hey gang. It's ya Boi.

I just finished my music crusade into figuring out the (roughly) 800 music tracks Sakurai stated in 8.8 Smash Direct.

Special thanks to ColietheGoalie for some assistance on their part! (Many thanks)

First and for most https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRPV9w39J0E&t=1s Gamexplain's 183 track video helped with noticing a pattern and getting the music identified. Out of the 183 tracks, 84 of them are original to Ultimate (Remixes, CastleV and Splatoon) which means, 99 were from the past games.

So with this in mind, I looked at Sm4sh's tracks and did a mock up (to say the least) of what the potential numbers are so far.

Sm4sh's total tracks is 480 WITHOUT menus, special games, etc.

Combine those with Gamexplain's findings you get 564 tracks SO FAR to Ultimate. However, in the Smash Direct we get a glimpse of the music select/listen screen. Now lets compare a thing or two. In Sm4sh Kirby had 26 tracks for his stages. In Ultimate, he has 39 tracks. We know of one track on the official Smash Site, but there is still more to account for. Street Fighter had 6 tracks in Sm4sh and now has a whopping 36 tracks!

Now with this in mind and combining things to 'work' the number I had was 678 music tracks in Ultimate so far. Now add the 12 weeks with updated music the total is 690.

Now, I am not saying this is definite or not, but considering if all the music from Sm4sh never got replaced (And yes, music from Melee and Brawl are included in Sm4sh).

However, there are stages that came back from Brawl and others we have not seen in ages. (Shadow Moses Island, Hanenbow) So there music needs to be considered as well.

--Long story short...maybe its time to keep expectations down. I really hate to be that guy. I love being optimistic, but looking through and comparing where tracks are and not going, its hit me like a ton of bricks.

Am I upset? Not at all. This game is going to be an amazing experience (Especially listening to all that music, Nostalgia overload)

All I ever wanted was the truth...and I have found it.
So wait...what did you find that’s significant? And how is it significant?
Brain not be connection making.

Q-Long

Smash Lord
*walks into the smashboards bar* Hey gang. It's ya Boi.

I just finished my music crusade into figuring out the (roughly) 800 music tracks Sakurai stated in 8.8 Smash Direct.

Special thanks to ColietheGoalie However, there are stages that came back from Brawl and others we have not seen in ages. (Shadow Moses Island, Hanenbow) So there music needs to be considered as well.

--Long story short...maybe its time to keep expectations down. I really hate to be that guy. I love being optimistic, but looking through and comparing where tracks are and not going, its hit me like a ton of bricks.

Am I upset? Not at all. This game is going to be an amazing experience (Especially listening to all that music, Nostalgia overload)

All I ever wanted was the truth...and I have found it.
Apparently CoroCoro confirmed there is more music coming too. Its not just 800.

Though I'm excited for non SFII Street Fighter songs (I love SFII, but the other games have great osts too)

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I mean I'd love for that to happen, buuuuut... I myself have gotten my hopes down a little bit.

:( it's weird when someone who isn't big on Sonic is more confident on someone, than someone who likes it.
Bias can actually make you believe in a character less. Maybe you're less confident because you don't want to get your hopes up. That's a good mindset to have because then you won't be disappointed. But looking at it objectively, I think this is the most likely scenario.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
It happened to Isaac in the past, although Shadow's place as second most popular character will likely end up getting him to DLC, or maybe base game if the Box theory is in fact false.

Or maybe he's just gone, who knows.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Imagine if 1000 songs though

We’ll definitely at least achieve that via DLC

Exalt4747

Smash Journeyman
Persoanlly, i think they are stage 1 dlc. Hype up people spending more money. Who else but shadow and geno in a 20 dollar dlc pack.

But it would be nice to finally get the puppet and end the trilogy of never ever.
20 bucks for two characters?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
It happened to Isaac in the past, although Shadow's place as second most popular character will likely end up getting him to DLC, or maybe base game if the Box theory is in fact false.

Or maybe he's just gone, who knows.
It did, though I feel more surprised simply due to how logical Shadow and Geno appearing would be. Isaac is also pretty damn confusing.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Wait, so we've still got over 100 potential new songs from new series?
I don't think many expected more or less. There obviously won't be more than, say, 2 or 3 new franchises if any.
Heh that is optimistic. We have to consider what new remixes are there for the music team to pull from that number.

This is only if all of Sm4sh's music never left and are being built on. I would hope that can happen, but again its uncertain.

Exalt4747

Smash Journeyman
Bias can actually make you believe in a character less. Maybe you're less confident because you don't want to get your hopes up. That's a good mindset to have because then you won't be disappointed. But looking at it objectively, I think this is the most likely scenario.
Some people who don't like Incineroar were much more confident that he'd be in than I was until well, you know.

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
Especially since he's the only 3rd party character that's been an assist trophy for multiple Smash games (if I recall correctly).

I never thought I would ever expect Geno to be a newcomer, but at this point if there is a new Square rep, I would be shocked if it wasn't Geno.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I've been listening to Katamari Damacy's soundtrack recently after seeing the remaster announcement, and after hearing songs like this...:

...I now want the Prince as a playable character just so he can bring this amazing soundtrack with him. Also, the idea of rolling everyone in Smash into a giant ball is amusing to me.
Katamari on the Rocks has always been a staple of my modpacks for both Brawl and Smash 4. I'd be more than okay with the Prince.
I know, right. It would be great to simply have a stage where all the stuff gets clumped into a Katamari the prince is rolling, and you fight on top of it.

D

Deleted member

You have no idea how happy I was to see Katamari make a comeback on the Switch.
After Namco did all of those weird touch only Katamari games for phones and Vita, they completely abandoned the IP. It felt like there was no hope for Katamari to return.
With Katamari coming to Switch, I don't feel as obligated to pull out my PS2 now. Katamari Damacy is now on the same system as Smash, and that still blows my mind.
I just want to see a Katamari song appear on Electroplankton. That's the perfect stage for Katamari music.
I was pretty happy to see it as well, easily one of the hypest announcements of the Direct for me.

Funny enough though, I haven't tried the games yet! I was going to pretty soon because it was a series I recently took an interest in after watching some Let's Plays, but me being busy with other things and then seeing the Katamari Reroll trademark made me go "Hmm...maybe I'll wait a bit and see what happens."

Then it got announced for a remaster and that it was coming to Switch. I absolutely love that my first full playthrough of the game is gonna be on my favorite console. I can't wait! It comes out at the perfect time, too: November 30th! It will be an awesome game to play over the week while I wait for Smash. :)

AugustusB

Smash Champion
So wait...what did you find that’s significant? And how is it significant?
Brain not be connection making.
Mainly its how the Music Team for Ultimate wants to remix for the other existing franchises. Example: Mario had 70 tracks in Sm4sh, where we do not know how much Mario actually has. He could have the 3 we know, he could get 20.
Hopefully that answers your question buddy.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Geno would be 6-8 for his music, stage and Geno.
Shadow would be 3. Then there is the nintendo tax.
I doubt they would even make Geno a DLC character, not to mention putting alot for SMRPG.

He’s more of a base character in my humble opinion.

Last edited:

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
It could be possible that Shadow is an AT still and he just hasn't been shown yet. There are quite a few missing ATs. But yeah, it is an odd omission given how seemingly obvious of an echo he is.

Then again, once we learned about clones last game, everyone expected Dixie to show up. I think it's even more surprising that she's still not here.

As for Geno, I don't think he's the Square character Vergeben is talking about. I feel it's either Lara Croft (Tomb Raider is legendary in gaming) or Agnes (so many parallels with Bayonetta), with Erdrick (DQ is a big deal in Japan) as the dark horse candidate. Chrono and Geno are niche picks that I wouldn't bet on, but they would be cool.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Shadow won't just be an echo. He'll be fighter #69. I think he'll be a wolf style semi clone like Isabelle.
Please no

I'd be legitimately angry Shadow was picked as a semi-clone before Tails.

Even if Shadow got in as just an echo and Tails didn't get in at least I could say Sakurai just doesn't want to spend too much time on giving a 3rd party franchise two reps.

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Mainly its how the Music Team for Ultimate wants to remix for the other existing franchises. Example: Mario had 70 tracks in Sm4sh, where we do not know how much Mario actually has. He could have the 3 we know, he could get 20.
Hopefully that answers your question buddy.
Nope. I mean maybe, but I’m not sure what you’re trying to figure out.
Are you solely focused on what music may be present in Ultimate? And that’s your goal?
Because that makes sense.
What are you trying to derive from this info?

AugustusB

Smash Champion

Though I'm excited for non SFII Street Fighter songs (I love SFII, but the other games have great osts too)
Could you link please!? That would be most wonderful!

Astroworld

Smash Apprentice
As controversial as this might sound, I think I'd be able to swallow Steve better than Bayo. His design is ugly, no disagreements there, but Steve has (or more specifically, Minecraft has) proven to be extremely iconic in the world of gaming. I feel like his inclusion would be justified, just not liked. Bayo though. She's comparatively niche to the rest of the third-parties, and her smexy raunchy personality just doesn't blend into Smash well at all. Not saying we can't go with more mature characters like Snake and Cloud, but Bayo is really pushing the limits. In a bad way.
She’s not really third party

out of the 3 games there are, Nintendo published 2 of them. The franchise would be dead without them since Sega had no interest in publishing a sequel. She’s second party at most

GaroMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Wesley
3DS FC
2895-7114-8104
I was pretty happy to see it as well, easily one of the hypest announcements of the Direct for me.

Funny enough though, I haven't tried the games yet! I was going to pretty soon because it was a series I recently took an interest in after watching some Let's Plays, but me being busy with other things and then seeing the Katamari Reroll trademark made me go "Hmm...maybe I'll wait a bit and see what happens."

Then it got announced for a remaster and that it was coming to Switch. I absolutely love that my first full playthrough of the game is gonna be on my favorite console. I can't wait! It comes out at the perfect time, too: November 30th! It will be an awesome game to play over the week while I wait for Smash. :)
Actually, it comes out on December 7th, the same day as Ultimate.
I don't think it'll get lost in the shuffle, though. Katamari has its own audience. I'm getting it physically, but I'm seriously considering going digital for it since it is the PERFECT portable game.
EDIT: Never mind. The physical version comes out on December 7th. The digital version comes out on November 30th. My bad.

Last edited:

**Gilgamesh**

Smash Ace
SORA will not be in the base game. He will be 7.99 DLC along with his stage being 3.99 DLC + TAX along with being banned from streams .

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
It could be possible that Shadow is an AT still and he just hasn't been shown yet. There are quite a few missing ATs. But yeah, it is an odd omission given how seemingly obvious of an echo he is.

Then again, once we learned about clones last game, everyone expected Dixie to show up. I think it's even more surprising that she's still not here.

As for Geno, I don't think he's the Square character Vergeben is talking about. I feel it's either Lara Croft (Tomb Raider is legendary in gaming) or Agnes (so many parallels with Bayonetta), with Erdrick (DQ is a big deal in Japan) as the dark horse candidate. Chrono and Geno are niche picks that I wouldn't bet on, but they would be cool.
TBH I disagree. I would agree in any other case, but Sakurai's shown-though I hate comparing first and third parties-he's willing to dig up the more niche titles and characters for this one as he did with K. Rool.
I don't think it'd be wrong to say Geno rivals K. Rool in popularity with the Smash fandom. Granted, K. Rool almost surely wins.

I understand Tomb Raider is legendary in gaming but it just...doesn't feel right to me. No real evidence to say otherwise though.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Nope. I mean maybe, but I’m not sure what you’re trying to figure out.
Are you solely focused on what music may be present in Ultimate? And that’s your goal?
Because that makes sense.
What are you trying to derive from this info?
You got it! Just trying to figure out how to get to 800 music tracks with what remixes we know, what music from Ultimate we know and the possibility that ALL of Sm4sh's music is in Ultimate.

Last edited:

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
On the topic of Tails and Shadow, if either got in, in an Isabelle situation. It'd be cool for either of them to have a trailer. Like this

The opening segment of this fight in Generations, being for Shadow, have some extra flare. Which is of course based on SA2, so do some bonus SA2 with it as well.

For Tails, have some epic battle in Spirits mode, showing Sonic facing down Robotnik/Eggman, and then after he beats him, he dives down, and...

Tails saves him, and then goes off with him after they high five and jump out.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130

Didn't Sakurai himself say in his Famitsu column that the number of tracks he gave during the direct isn't the final amount in the game?

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
You got it! Just trying to figure out how to get to 800 music tracks with what remixes we know, what music from Ultimate we know.
Okay, I was just reading too much into it.
I thought you were trying to find music that would lend credibility to a franchise getting a new character or something.

Example: Castlevania got a lot. Also got a new chapter.
Ken might be getting in. Street Fighter got a lot more music.

I was about to hop on the train and pull out my monocle and ****. Lol.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.

Really?

Hot damn, what else does this magazine know?

CyberHyperPhoenix

"Download Complete."

Putting aside my personal disdain for Sonic, if any 3rd party series deserves a second unique fighter it's Sonic. I legitimately believe this is going to happen.
It won't happen, but I really want it to, Shadow could make a really fun Semi-Clone.

ganondorf_22

Smash Journeyman
To get back on topic though, try to think of one additional difference you would give each echo fighter. You can only give one.
:ultdarkpit::ultlucina::ultdaisy::ultrichter::ultchrom::ultdarksamus:
:ultdarkpit: Delete.
:ultlucina: Delete.
:ultdaisy: Make her default outfit her Mario Strikers outfit. Have her represent the Mario sports games in her moves.
:ultrichter: Delete.
:ultchrom: Make his up taunt be the default dance from the fortnite game.
:ultdarksamus: Make her unplayable due to psychological trauma causing her (it?) to run and jump around everywhere and fire erratically.

D

Deleted member

Actually, it comes out on December 7th, the same day as Ultimate.
I don't think it'll get lost in the shuffle, though. Katamari has its own audience. I'm getting it physically, but I'm seriously considering going digital for it since it is the PERFECT portable game.
If you're interested in the digital release, I read that it's coming Nov. 30th, while the physical version is launching a week later: Link

On the topic of Square reps, while Geno would be cool, I like the idea of Lara Croft quite a bit. I haven't played any Tomb Raider games and probably never will, but she is legendary in gaming history. Seeing her besides characters like Mario, Link, Cloud, Pac Man, and all the other big names in gaming would be very cool and satisfying.

EDIT: LOL, I left in something about Geno at the top of the post for some reason. Edited it out. :p
DOUBLE EDIT: Saw that GaroMaster edited his post, so I'll just go ahead and cross out the Katamari stuff since he already knows.

Last edited by a moderator:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Okay, I was just reading too much into it.
I thought you were trying to find music that would lend credibility to a franchise getting a new character or something.

Example: Castlevania got a lot. Also got a new chapter.
Ken might be getting in. Street Fighter got a lot more music.

I was about to hop on the train and pull out my monocle and ****. Lol.
*Hands over a monocle*
ALL ABOARD!

I mean it COULD be possible to have maybe 1 new franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom