• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

majora_787

Smash Hero
I personally feel like the music theory is kind of more of a curiosity. Unlike the character video posts which is taking an estimate at the maximum size of the roster based off an existing and more coherent pattern, the music theory really just feels more like using weird coincidences and one weird decision to say what series will and won't be getting newcomers.

I'm not discounting it, it's a lot more interesting than all of the box nonsense. But at the same time it doesn't really do it for me as speculation.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Unrelated, but for the music theory are we counting on AC music being revealed this week? Would it disprove it if it weren't? There's a lot of reason to expect it will be since the Pikmin song was pulled from a week in advance.
If we don't get AC this week, I'd ignore the music theory and move on.

However, if we do get AC, it'll be pretty hard to deny it having some truth to it, and I'd say it'd be a safe bet that we won't get a Pokemon remix till the Gen VII rep gets revealed.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Personally, I'm Team "I Couldn't Care Less" because I'm quite satisfied with the game. HOWEVER, I don't think you can believe all the rumors that are going around and say they compliment each other. Verge, Box Theory, and CoroCoro can all exist together, they can, it's possible, but it's highly, HIGHLY unlikely in my opinion. I kinda wanted to get an idea of where people stood on each side of the fence but, uh, I didn't really get that. Most people either said both or CoroCoro. So, CoroCoro?

D

Deleted member

Why would they show off every returning stage but those three then? What's so special about them to warrant hiding them? I'm of the belief that those stages didn't make it because they were either too similar to other stages, are a ***** to fight on, or don't work at all with Stage Morph.

I feel like if you're on team both, you have to accept the fact that all 3 of those possible stages would be a mixture of a SF stage, Smash originals (which begs the question of WHY they wouldn't show it, unless it's related to Spirits) and a stage for a series with no characters.
Nothing’s special about them, I’m just throwing out names. Mute City and Rainbow Road do, however, require modeling out the entire race track. Also, why would Ken need his own stage? He’s going to be an echo, so a new SF stage isn’t required.

I’m on Team Don’t Care, and have been since E3. Roster is perfect, almost all the stages I like are in, and anything new is welcome. I just want to play the game.

Potato_

Smash Lord
So if you're interested, there's a few more Verge posts that are interesting.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77011618?jumpto=9#9

"The Castlevania games that I know of two separate things.
One is a collection of past titles with Symphony of the Night as 'the selling point' lead game.
The other is a brand new Castlevania game.
I don't know when or where they're going to be announced at. The Smash Direct was its own thing, so if you are implying the games not being announced during that debunked them, please your brain. It was a SMASH DIRECT. As in that is all it was about.

As for denying that I know things about this game, that is getting real old.
When it comes to pass that Incineroar and Ken are on Super Smash Bros Ultimate, you will be yet another person calling it a lucky guess I am sure. rofl

Also I have no timeline on when the Minecraft content being announced will be. Only that there will be something. Stage, assist trophy, "possibly" a character. All I know is that there will be Minecraft content that will be part of the game. "

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77011728?jumpto=69#69

" Because I sign on here and have notifications I have gotten to the point where I don't even bother checking most tags anymore because I get tagged at least 30 times a day asking me things that I either have already answered, can't answer, or ask if their favorite or most wanted character is in like somehow I can will that into existence or the knowledge of it if I haven't heard anything on my end about them yet for or against whatever character it is.
After too long you have to realize how annoying and stupid that would be.

I will put it in the most simple way that I can that I already have before but will say it again because it seems like I have to.
If I know something, I will say say it unless I am instructed not to say it "

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77011728?jumpto=73#73

"Absence of evidence is not always evidence of absence.
I can't personally confirm or deny if Incineroar and Ken are all that's left for the launch roster, only that they will be in the game.

Me knowing about a Square Enix character and Minecraft content that could "possibly" be a character and not just a stage/assist trophy either deconfirms the box theory or supports it and means DLC.
I currently can't say for sure because if I don't know, I can't exactly claim that now can I?

Whether or not it relates to those things, I did hear the game will be supported after launch."

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
This is a small detail I found in Ultimate. It took two games, but he finally now smiles when losing. Why did they make such strange change for Brawl and Smash 4? It might have been to cater for competitive gamers, but why such strange change?
Screenshot_454.png

TheSmasher916

Smash Journeyman
See, I know that previous Smash games have had pretty tame, possibly underwhelming final newcomer reveals, so it wouldn't be too surprising this time around... But at the same time I honestly cannot see them only having one new character and one echo left with three months until release.

Like they seemingly front loaded the **** out of these reveals.. Ridley and K. Rool two months in alone is crazy, and we've already had two blowout Smash presentations, one of which revealed five characters. This makes zero sense from a marketing perspective and would absolutely decimate hype if all we had left character wise, for the next three months until launch, is just Incineroar and Ken. Plus we're getting every character before launch, so I'm sure that they're treating every reveal as a big deal (as opposed to how they released Jr.'s and DH's trailers over a month after release).

I don't know I just can't imagine us having just those two before release. I fully believe in Verge's claims at this point, so I'm not doubting those characters, but to think thats it just seems a little ridiculous to me at this point.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Music Theory will effectively be disproven if the song this week is not from Animal Crossing.
What an anticlimactic way for that to go. Not by having a Kirby, Mario or Zelda character revealed, but by just not having a new Animal Crossing song lol.

Was there any new music that could be used from pocket camp? I honestly don't remember from when I used to play.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
A possible stage list that supports box theory:
- Royale Avenue
- Swapnote
- Tetris
- Minecraft
- Monster Hunter stage

The Alola stage gets revealed with Incineroar and the other 4 are minor, miscellaneous stages without characters in the vein of Pictochat or Tomodachi Life so they haven't been necessary to show off yet.

majora_787

Smash Hero
My only question about the music theory is: If music is posted every wednesday, that implies we'd be looking at. What. Twelve more music posts? Something like that? I'm not sure what the odds are of absolutely none of those posts being from series that already saw music posts. I mean, I GUESS we could get a dozen more without going back to Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, or Kirby ever again? But I'm just not sure.

Untouch

Smash Master
I still think we're getting a R.O.B stage, maybe somehow tied into SSE.
R.O.B still has a stage icon found in the sprites file on the site (though this could be a placeholder, it's odd that they'd even bother since it is a new file.)

uebo7

Smash Apprentice
Sigh.

Verge.

Did.

Not.

Back.

The.

Stupid.

Box.

Theory.

He said he's looking into it and nothing more. He's team neutral on it essentially.

Please team box. I know you want to really be right about this, but please stop bending Verge's words and leaks to fit this box theory agenda going on.
Obviously he didn't confirm it. He's walking on eggshells as it is, but his words definitely give more credence to it. Is it a coincidence that the only 2 base-roster characters he knows fit perfectly on the box? That the only echo he leaks is one that can be fit in the 9-character set that pushed Corrin away? Yeah, there's always a chance things are wildly different than they appear, but it's all so incredibly reasonable that assuming anything else to be MORE likely is when you'd be stretching.

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I’m really split on CoroCoro.

On one hand, it seems really weird they would let that skip by. Plus, the whole page is about the 8.8 direct, which states 103 stages, and everything has been saying 103 stages in ways that make it seem like it’s the final count.

On the other hand, it’s right there! It says 108 stages, and as far as I know, it’s very rare for a magazine to have typo like that, especially one so prominently on the page.

I personally believe in the box theory, so if there are 5 more stages, they wouldn’t be tied to newcomers. Knowing this, I’m pretty confident they’d follow NDC, GP Tower, and Moray Towers, in that they’re from new successful games.

If I had to guess the remaining 5 stages, I’d probably say:
1. Ultra Space, or another Alolan stage
2. Rhythm Heaven
3. Tropical Freeze stage (to replace the cut DKCR stage from Wii U)
4. Crafted World (to replace the cut Wooly World from Wii U)
5. NLA or a Xenoblade 2 stage

Another option is a new Kirby stage, I’d say either Jambastion or a Planet Robobot stage.

EDIT: Forgot MC. If there’s more stages, I definitley see Vergeben being right about a stage and not just a Creeper assist trophy.

Think about it. They wanted to represent Monster Hunter through a non-playable way.
MH is known for its bosses, so adding a boss made for better representation than having a generic Hunter as an assist trophy or something.

Likewise, if they wanted to represent Minecraft is a non-playable way, they’d probably add a stage, as MC is best known for its randomly generated blocky worlds.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
What games do we expect to get a stage treatment but not a character treatment? I could see maybe Rythm Heaven but even then there's characters from there that I consider likely.
Just responding to this part.

ARMS
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Minecraft
Ace Attorney
Rabbids

ARMS and XCX suffer from poor timing as far as character inclusion, but have tons of inspiration to draw from for stages and music. The other three are all third parties that could be included more properly in a stage than in a fighter. All five would be held from the initial reveal so as to not generate speculation of those series getting a newcomer.

Just an example of how the box theory and CoroCoro could work together.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Has this whole box theory thing completely killed anyone else’s hype for the game?
Now that we probably know everything (except for DLC, and we’re gonna have to wait even longer for that anyways), it’s like what’s the point? I don’t think even Spirits will get me hype for this game now. This combined with Nintendo’s online service has drained me.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
My only question about the music theory is: If music is posted every wednesday, that implies we'd be looking at. What. Twelve more music posts? Something like that? I'm not sure what the odds are of absolutely none of those posts being from series that already saw music posts. I mean, I GUESS we could get a dozen more without going back to Mario, Donkey Kong, Zelda, or Kirby ever again? But I'm just not sure.
We still have quite a few franchises that haven't gotten a remix yet. Some of the more notable ones include:

:ultfox::ultpikachu::ultness::ultpit::ultwario::ultsonic::ultvillager::ultshulk:

Every franchise getting a single track seems very likely at this point. Not impossible to double-dip, but we'd probably have to exclude one of the remaining franchises if we wanted to do that.

Last edited:

majora_787

Smash Hero
We still have quite a few franchises that haven't gotten a remix yet. Some of the more notable ones include:

:ultfox::ultpikachu::ultness::ultpit::ultwario::ultsonic::ultvillager::ultshulk:

Every franchise getting a single track seems very likely at this point. Not impossible to double-dip, but we'd probably have to exclude one of the remaining franchises if we wanted to do that.
Well, fair enough. I guess we'll see. (If it ends up checking out I'll feel a little bummed out Skull Kid, but oh well).

Gives me some hope for Elma, at least.

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Personally, I'm Team "I Couldn't Care Less" because I'm quite satisfied with the game. HOWEVER, I don't think you can believe all the rumors that are going around and say they compliment each other. Verge, Box Theory, and CoroCoro can all exist together, they can, it's possible, but it's highly, HIGHLY unlikely in my opinion. I kinda wanted to get an idea of where people stood on each side of the fence but, uh, I didn't really get that. Most people either said both or CoroCoro. So, CoroCoro?
CoroCoro is the one more people want to believe because it can result in up to five new characters, while the box theory results in two. One of which is almost certainly Ken.

That's a pretty easy question to answer.

ThatOneAnon

Smash Ace
Also on another topic: Hooray, my favorite still has a chance!
...as paid DLC
...which I’ll have to likely wait an exceedingly long time for
...and probably won’t be worth it anyways since there’s a chance that character will be OP and thus everyone will hate them, making you regret they ever got added in the first place

Potato_

Smash Lord
About 30 pages late... Can someone give cliffs on "Team Box" & "Team CoroCoro" ?
Team Box: A new promotional image for the Smash Special Edition came out, and the box seems to suggest that Ken and Incineroar are the only characters left. On the side of the box shows all of the characters so far, with two slots left, one for Isabelle and one for someone we're missing. At the very least it flat out confirms an echo for either Palutena, Ryu, Pac-Man, or a few other characters, based on the positioning they used on the box breaking the pattern it established (Every character is grouped in groups of 9 except for that group which is grouped in 8). It has some evidence going for it, but also has some stuff going against it, mainly the fact that it is a promotional image and things could change. The fact that they intentionally used this pattern however is noteworthy. Vergeben has said he's unsure whether or not Ken an Incineroar are the last two characters, and that he will ask his sources about it to confirm. Regardless, we're waiting for new info to confirm or deny this theory.

Team CoroCoro: CoroCoro is a Japanese gaming magazine that has gotten exclusive info in the past, mostly on Pokemon. Their issue for October repeated info already known about from the 8.8 Smash Direct, except for one huge difference. They claim that there are 108 stages in the game, as opposed to the 103 mentioned in that direct. Currently we're waiting to hear if it's a typo or not, but if it isn't and they genuinely revealed this info it could mean we're getting new characters from other franchises, which would dent the Box Theory. It is entirely possible that we get only new stages from series already represented though, which is why you see some people going for Team Both.

The_Intruder

Smash Apprentice
Just responding to this part.

ARMS
Xenoblade Chronicles X
Minecraft
Ace Attorney
Rabbids

ARMS and XCX suffer from poor timing as far as character inclusion, but have tons of inspiration to draw from for stages and music. The other three are all third parties that could be included more properly in a stage than in a fighter. All five would be held from the initial reveal so as to not generate speculation of those series getting a newcomer.

Just an example of how the box theory and CoroCoro could work together.
That's Xenoblade 2 not X , Xenoblade X was released end of april 2015 in japan and december 2015 in the west.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Also on another topic: Hooray, my favorite still has a chance!
...as paid DLC
...which I’ll have to likely wait an exceedingly long time for
...and probably won’t be worth it anyways since there’s a chance that character will be OP and thus everyone will hate them, making you regret they ever got added in the first place
*looks at Bayonetta*

...worth it.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
That's Xenoblade 2 not X.
No, XCX also suffered from poor timing, just in the opposite direction. It was released after Ultimate's character roster was decided by Sakurai, so the likelihood of them retroactively adding, say, Elma, was unlikely.

XC2 released so much later that it probably won't get anything at all, unless in DLC.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Hot take: Both CoroCoro and Box theories are wrong.

CoroCoro misreported the stage number, however unlikely that seems. They may have based it off the remaining number of spaces.

Box is a placeholder and just filled out with the current number of characters. The final box may not even have the remaining characters to avoid leaks.

There's more than 2 left and possibly more stages.

The_Intruder

Smash Apprentice
No, XCX also suffered from poor timing, just in the opposite direction. It was released after Ultimate's character roster was decided by Sakurai, so the likelihood of them retroactively adding, say, Elma, was unlikely.

XC2 released so much later that it probably won't get anything at all, unless in DLC.
So end of april 2015 is after , now ? ok.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
I genuinely believe Bayo 3 is going to get **** on massively by Sm4sh players because it’s a Bayonetta game.
It wouldn’t be the dumbest thing this community has done.
Bayo 3 content is going to be in smash I'd bet my waifu figure collection on it.

dezeray112

Smash Hero

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77011618?jumpto=9#9

One is a collection of past titles with Symphony of the Night as 'the selling point' lead game.
I don't know when or where they're going to be announced at. The Smash Direct was its own thing, so if you are implying the games not being announced during that debunked them, please your brain. It was a SMASH DIRECT. As in that is all it was about.

When it comes to pass that Incineroar and Ken are on Super Smash Bros Ultimate, you will be yet another person calling it a lucky guess I am sure. rofl

Also I have no timeline on when the Minecraft content being announced will be. Only that there will be something. Stage, assist trophy, "possibly" a character. All I know is that there will be Minecraft content that will be part of the game. "

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77011728?jumpto=69#69

" Because I sign on here and have notifications I have gotten to the point where I don't even bother checking most tags anymore because I get tagged at least 30 times a day asking me things that I either have already answered, can't answer, or ask if their favorite or most wanted character is in like somehow I can will that into existence or the knowledge of it if I haven't heard anything on my end about them yet for or against whatever character it is.

I will put it in the most simple way that I can that I already have before but will say it again because it seems like I have to.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/77011728?jumpto=73#73

I can't personally confirm or deny if Incineroar and Ken are all that's left for the launch roster, only that they will be in the game.

Me knowing about a Square Enix character and Minecraft content that could "possibly" be a character and not just a stage/assist trophy either deconfirms the box theory or supports it and means DLC.
I currently can't say for sure because if I don't know, I can't exactly claim that now can I?

Whether or not it relates to those things, I did hear the game will be supported after launch."
Hmm.....looks like GameFAQs users are being rather toxic as usual.

D

Deleted member

Hot take: Both CoroCoro and Box theories are wrong.

CoroCoro misreported the stage number, however unlikely that seems. They may have based it off the remaining number of spaces.

Box is a placeholder and just filled out with the current number of characters. The final box may not even have the remaining characters to avoid leaks.

Turns out there's 5 characters and 2 stages, and the empty slots on the box are for the stages.

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman

Part of me kinda feels bad for Vergeban, he's constantly getting bothered about stuff he doesn't know about. On the other hand, this is what he signed up for when he became a prominent leaker. The fact anyone still doubts him at this point is mind-boggling too.

uebo7

Smash Apprentice

Why do you think they moved Corrin to the right side then?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom