• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Untouch

Smash Master
I was thinking in regards to Dragon Quest...
People have been saying that Toriyama and Armour Project would be too much of a roadblock, but would they? Does Toriyama own the rights to the character designs, or is it something like King K Rool? Either way, he was involved with DBFZ which was produced by Namco Bandai who are also developing this game (supposedly? I don't think there's confirmation outside of educated guesses) so I think they have a good relationship.

I still think the only problem would be Sugiyama, but he has directly worked with Nintendo before and there's been a Mario x Dragon quest spinoff before. I don't think he was involved in that though, Wikipedia doesn't say who the composer was.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
So sadly I skimmed a bit of the 183 music tracks that were identified. I made a guesstimate and I think I over shot (also hurrying to get ready for work)

So later today I will be going into overtime with the music of smash to get a definitive track number count.

Happy Speculating!

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
In regards to Ken being in Smash, it always makes sense that he'd be the second SF character since he's pretty much number 2 when it comes to iconic SF characters.
To be honest

If the concept of Echo fighters wouldn't have been introduced I could've seen Chun-Li make it in before Ken.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
I don't get how a fire wrestling cat with a ton of personality doesn't appeal to people, but hey, that's just me.
'Cause pro-wrestling is lame and a giant bipedal cat is just about the most uninspired Pokemon design you could possibly have? :p

Honestly though, I'm sure most people (myself included) will warm up to him if he ends up being on the roster. Especially since the game seems intent on emphasizing personalities in the fighter animations even more than past games.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Street Fighter fans don’t even need to buy the game.

It’s in arcades.

It’s had multiple movies that actually go to theatres as well as anime ones.

Shadow didn’t even join Sonic when Sonic was popular enough to rival street Fighter. Dreamcast was the last system for a reason. It wasn’t due to Sonic’s success at the time.
The reasons for the Dreamcast's demise are numerous, but Sonic's popularity was not one of them.

osby

Smash Obsessed
'Cause pro-wrestling is lame and a giant bipedal cat is just about the most uninspired Pokemon design you could possibly have? :p

Honestly though, I'm sure most people (myself included) will warm up to him if he ends up being on the roster. Especially since the game seems intent on emphasizing personalities in the fighter animations even more than past games.
Most uninspired? You really want to go down that road?

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I hope Incineroar has Darkest Lariat in his moveset, maybe as his Side-B.

I really want to see that move actually animated and not just as a crappy t-pose.
Half of me wants a animated version of this to see how it's supposed to look. And the other half wants Incineroar to be such a meme that they keep the move completely intact.

Also, can we talk about that bit of the concept art with Ash...

...are they...making tea? On his crotch?

Last edited:

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
That's kind of always been the weird thing and why I've been kind of mixed on the 'Everyone is Here' situation. It kind of leads to an interesting question in regards to much of Melee and Brawl's Roster in particular.

Without Melee and Brawl's roster would anyone actually care about characters like Pichu, Doctor Mario, Ice Climbers, ROB, or Young Link? I mean especially the Ice Climbers, who's game was always kind of considered kind of mediocre even at the time it was originally released. There are some that would still have some demand like I image that Wolf and Ganondorf would.

I will admit to being caught up in the hype train during the original E3 announcement but the more I kind of look back on the situation the more I find myself asking 'why'. I still excited for the game but I can't help but feel like they maybe ham-stringed themselves too much by focusing so heavily on 'Everyone is here'.
It all comes down to opinion. Personally, if I was going to choose between new characters and everyone back, I'd pick the latter. Not just because of the cut veterans from 4, but we likely would've seen some of the 4 inclusions removed.

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
The reasons for the Dreamcast's demise are numerous, but Sonic's popularity was not one of them.
It wasn't enough to save it either. Then again, Mario didn't save the dead on arrival that was the Wii U so.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion

I don't even like wrestling and I think his whole shtick and design are phenomenal. Plus we don't have any cats on the roster so those who want diversity clearly should support his inclusion :nifty:

this is a joke don't take it too seriously pls

Last edited:

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
We're getting Echo Stages now.
I know this post was made in jest, but I'd be cool with it.

So many stages with platforms have funky-ass platform layouts and hazards just to be different. Honestly, just make small variations on the Battlefield base stage with backgrounds drawn from other games for nostalgia's sake, and bam. More games represented.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
You wanna do trash talking about mah boi now? Fite me
I'm probably one of the most passionate fans of Roy out there, but I can't dispute him being currently inferior to Marth at the moment. Not trying to be that daft about his current standing, you know...

Ultimate's gonna do good sum on him though, I believe. Chrom is another can of worms though if we gonna talk about the potence between with him and Roy. :ohwell:

KMDP

Smash Legend
Hmm... I've just been thinking about what they've done so far for Smash Ultimate. I know it's been discussed before, but I think it's worth bringing up again.
March 8th 2018 (General Direct) - Inkling, Mario, Link; Initial Game Announcement​
April - Nothing​
May - Nothing​
June 12th 2018 (E3) - All Veterans, Daisy [ε], Ridley
July - Nothing​
August 8th 2018 (Smash Direct) - Simon, Richter [ε], Chrom [ε], Dark Samus [ε], K. Rool
September 6th 13th 2018 (General Direct) - Isabelle
October - TBA​
November - TBA​
December 7th 2018 - Game Release​
Compare this to the Smash 4 Announcement.
June 11th 2013 (E3) - Villager, Mega Man, Wii Fit Trainer
July 2013 - Nothing
August 7th 2013 (General Direct) - Luigi (for the Year of Luigi)
September 2013 - Nothing
October 1st 2013 (General Direct) - Sonic
December 18th 2013 (General Direct) - Rosalina
January 2014 - Nothing
February 13th 2014 (General Direct) - Little Mac
March 2014 - Nothing
April 8th 2014 (Smash Direct) - Zero Suit Samus (solo), Sheik (solo), Yoshi, Charizard (solo), Greninja
May - Nothing
June 10th 2014 (E3) - Mii Fighter, Palutena, Dark Pit [ε], PAC-MAN
July 14th 2014 (Livestream) - Lucina [ε], Captain Falcon, Robin
August 29th 2014 (Miiverse Post) - Shulk
September 13th 2014 - Sm4sh 3DS JPN Release
October 23rd 2014 (50-Fact Extravaganza) - Bowser Jr., Jigglypuff, Mewtwo (DLC)
November 5th 2014 (Nintendo Direct) - Duck Hunt
November 21st 2014 - Sm4sh Wii U US Release

The reveals got more frequent as Smash 4 got closer to release, we have reason to assume that the same will hold true for Ultimate (I mean, it's already happening). However, the only times they had big blow-outs of character reveals were E3 and Smash Directs, the same seems to be true of Smash Ultimate.

We only have two and a half months (specifically, 81 days) left until release. I'll leave people to come to their own conclusions about what'll happen in the next two months.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
So sadly I skimmed a bit of the 183 music tracks that were identified. I made a guesstimate and I think I over shot (also hurrying to get ready for work)

So later today I will be going into overtime with the music of smash to get a definitive track number count.

Happy Speculating!
By my calculations (spreadsheet I've been keeping up to date), every track in the series' history combined with the confirmed new songs sits at 654 currently.
So there's at least ~150 new songs to see yet.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I don't mind Ken but I my preference on Ryu-based character in Smash is still on Sakura... I mean I guess she'd end up a semi-clone than anything, but Ken I feel kind of indifferent on in geenral, even if know he's gonna be there.

Perhaps it's the slight obviousness of it that makes it little to talk about aside from how he could bring in his potency from SFIV. :drohmy:

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
Question:

Team Box?

Or

Team CoroCoro?
Team Wah.

But between those two, CoroCoro, as I don't think Nintendo would be careless enough to reveal the number of remaining characters with the box picture, and I guess CoroCoro makes sense because I doubt Sakurai gave us the total stage count (103) this early. But really, I don't believe anything until I see proof.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
It wasn't enough to save it either. Then again, Mario didn't save the dead on arrival that was the Wii U so.
That's the thing. Neither of them could. The Dreamcast was underpowered compared to the impending PS2, relied on gimmicks like the VMU, and lacked key features like a DVD drive; the Wii U was underpowered compared to the impending PS4, relied on gimmicks like the gamepad and lacked key features like... games not made by Nintendo.

The Dreamcast had, at the time, the largest console launch in history, due in very large part to Sonic Adventure being a launch title. Likewise, the Saturn failed due in no small part to no true Sonic game being released for the console. Sega ultimately pulled out of the console race due to a ton of poor decisions, from hardware design to alienating SoA to just being way too prideful in general.

If memory serves correct (I don't feel like looking it up on my phone) Sonic Adventure 2 was released after they announced they would be discontinuing the Dreamcast, so it's not like the console's swan song could have saved it anyway.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Is there a slight chance we might see Incineroar during a Pokémon direct?

I feel a character like Incineroar might appeal more to Pokémon fans than Smash fans in general

and a Pokémon direct seems like the best time and place to reveal him

The closest thing to this possibility was Shulk's reveal in a japanese only direct

Or i'm just on to nothing

Aeon Lupin

Survival of the fittest
Frankly, if Incineroar does get in, we'd most likely get a new Pokemon stage from his gen. Battle Royale I believe was suggested. If it were the case, that alone gives credence to 108 stages from CoroCoro not being a typo like some believe.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
It's not exactly diverse to have two Pokemon gens in a row be represented by starters, and three represented by anthros.
It suffers from the Fire Emblem problem.

They only want to put in characters casual fans are guaranteed to know.

KMDP

Smash Legend
Question:

Team Box?

Or

Team CoroCoro?
I lean more towards Team CoroCoro.

Mostly because five stages makes it more likely that I'll get what I want.

Either way, I think both of them are dubious at best, which is why I haven't said much on either since they started.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Most uninspired? You really want to go down that road?
I gave myself the qualifier "just about", so yeah, I'm willing to stand by my statement.
I get that there are literal trash Pokemon, but an anthropomorphic cat who thinks he's a bad-ass is just... overdone?

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Is there a slight chance we might see Incineroar during a Pokémon direct?

I feel a character like Incineroar might appeal more to Pokémon fans than Smash fans in general

and a Pokémon direct seems like the best time and place to reveal him

The closest thing to this possibility was Shulk's reveal in a japanese only direct

Or i'm just on to nothing
A Pokemon direct about what though? Let's Go games are releasing soon, and there doesn't seem like enough to warrant a direct solely on that game.

Plus the reveal can't be any worse than Isabelle's. Possibly the most unhype reveal of all time.

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Question:

Team Box?

Or

Team CoroCoro?
Corocoro, though I’m with a few others in saying 5 more stages =/= 5 more newcomers.

I have no reason to distrust Corocoro considering their recent track record with Pokemon. The box is......just a box. It isn’t solid evidence for anything.

Exalt4747

Smash Journeyman
Prediction time! This time, I'll assume that the box theory and Vergeben are correct, which, by using hindsight, seems very likely.

October: Nothing
  • With only two characters left to reveal for the base game, there's no point in having a standalone trailer for either Ken, Incineroar or both, as it would greatly affect the content of a Smash Direct. It would also be too soon for a final pre-release Smash Direct since we'd end up waiting two months until the release with no character left to reveal.
November: Final Smash Direct before launch
  • Starts off with an Incineroar trailer
  • A Pokemon section talking about a new stage (either something based on Gen 7, Poke Floats 2 or perhaps even both?)
  • Transition to more Pokemons, then Assist Trophies and items, potential revealing most, if not all of them
  • If CoroCoro is right about there being 108 stages, we could see them being revealed here
  • Transition into Echo Fighters, namely the reveal of Ken
  • With the whole roster revealed, Sakurai finally talks about the mysterious mode
  • More modes?
  • Then the Direct ends... except not really because we'd get a trailer for the second Square Enix rep, likely Geno, and confirmation that he would be the first DLC and, much like Mewtwo in 4, would be able to be obtained for free once he releases in some way.
The direct part sounds fine, but boy would I rather we get it sooner than that.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Question:

Team Box?

Or

Team CoroCoro?
The reality of it is though there is no "team" either side because likely both may be in conjunction with one another if they both at all have real information. There's no plausible reason to say the box confirms there isn't 108 stages but there's also nothing in the CoroCoro issue that says there's more then two characters left. It's literally just the 8/8 Direct info with the only quote-on-quote "new" information is the 108 stages. And we don't know if that was an error on the writer's part or not.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Hmm... I've just been thinking about what they've done so far for Smash Ultimate. I know it's been discussed before, but I think it's worth bringing up again.
March 8th 2018 (General Direct) - Inkling, Mario, Link; Initial Game Announcement​
April - Nothing​
May - Nothing​
June 12th 2018 (E3) - All Veterans, Daisy [ε], Ridley
July - Nothing​
August 8th 2018 (Smash Direct) - Simon, Richter [ε], Chrom [ε], Dark Samus [ε], K. Rool
September 6th 13th 2018 (General Direct) - Isabelle
October - TBA​
November - TBA​
December 7th 2018 - Game Release​
Compare this to the Smash 4 Announcement.
June 11th 2013 (E3) - Villager, Mega Man, Wii Fit Trainer
July 2013 - Nothing
August 7th 2013 (General Direct) - Luigi (for the Year of Luigi)
September 2013 - Nothing
October 1st 2013 (General Direct) - Sonic
December 18th 2013 (General Direct) - Rosalina
January 2014 - Nothing
February 13th 2014 (General Direct) - Little Mac
March 2014 - Nothing
April 8th 2014 (Smash Direct) - Zero Suit Samus (solo), Sheik (solo), Yoshi, Charizard (solo), Greninja
May - Nothing
June 10th 2014 (E3) - Mii Fighter, Palutena, Dark Pit [ε], PAC-MAN
July 14th 2014 (Livestream) - Lucina [ε], Captain Falcon, Robin
August 29th 2014 (Miiverse Post) - Shulk
September 13th 2014 - Sm4sh 3DS JPN Release
October 23rd 2014 (50-Fact Extravaganza) - Bowser Jr., Jigglypuff, Mewtwo (DLC)
November 5th 2014 (Nintendo Direct) - Duck Hunt
November 21st 2014 - Sm4sh Wii U US Release

The reveals got more frequent as Smash 4 got closer to release, we have reason to assume that the same will hold true for Ultimate (I mean, it's already happening). However, the only times they had big blow-outs of character reveals were E3 and Smash Directs, the same seems to be true of Smash Ultimate.

We only have two and a half months (specifically, 81 days) left until release. I'll leave people to come to their own conclusions about what'll happen in the next two months.
Both the August and September were in the earlier parts of the month, or at least the September one was supposed to be, and the release date is of course also early on in December. If we get any news next month I wonder if it'll also be early on, feels like it'd be a short wait, but of course we were always going to have to wait a week less after the Direct got delayed, and I doubt it has changed their plans. I also wonder when we'll get our last news in November, I feel like it's almost guaranteed we'll get something early that month as they won't risk scheduling too close to release, but at the same time a month's wait with no news might not be the best strategy

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
A Pokemon direct about what though? Let's Go games are releasing soon, and there doesn't seem like enough to warrant a direct solely on that game.

Plus the reveal can't be any worse than Isabelle's. Possibly the most unhype reveal of all time.
Well..

I don't know

I-uh..

Let's go Meowth announcement?

nvm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom