• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Just shows how powerful this final smash is

It can even affect people past the screen
They won't replace the poltergust, but I wish they would make the negative zone return with the extra effect that it like... explodes (you fly farther the longer you're trapped in it?) or something at the end so that it stays true to the new direction of the final smashes.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
A character from a series in a genre that's mostly niche outside the most dedicated gamers vs a character from a series thats total sales nearly triple the other series.

The Sonic series probably seems loud because it's more successful and has more fans. No way is dark Sonic less recognisable than red karate man.
Street Fighter fans don’t even need to buy the game.

It’s in arcades.

It’s had multiple movies that actually go to theatres as well as anime ones.

Shadow didn’t even join Sonic when Sonic was popular enough to rival street Fighter. Dreamcast was the last system for a reason. It wasn’t due to Sonic’s success at the time.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
How did it? Not familiar with Bayonetta as a game.

Anyhow, funny, because I recall that Sakurai used Zero Suit Samus as a base to create Bayonetta out of.

And I can't find this article anymore however... It also stated Ike was used as a base for Cloud (quite obvious) and Marth was used as a base for Corrin (less obvious).

It's kind of relevant, because Isabelle was also quite obviously build up from Villager's moveset.
image.jpeg

This pose in front of the moon is a direct reference to Bayonetta.

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
(Unless you're Roy)
You wanna do trash talking about mah boi now? Fite me

I feel ya, much like that Pyrosphere POTD was a Ridley tease all along!
I'm happy those dark times are over

That's why he's #69.
LMAO made my morning :joyful:

That's been my trailer idea for months now lol

Battle Royal as a new stage

Table projectile please.
LET'S GET SOME CHAIRS AND LADDERS INTO THIS!

Can we make this a game? Which characters do you play just so that you can spam a move over and over again?
:GCD:+:GCB: - :4corrinf::4myfriends::4lucario::4lucina::4marth::4palutena::4feroy:
:GCB: - :4peach:

The only logical answer :troll:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Plot twist: The gen 7 Pokemon rep is Oranguru.
...It's still a Pokemon Trainer style fighter, who has 3 Pokemon at its disposal...

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
We've got some great newcomers so far, but can we all agree? Not a one of them is on the sheer level of brilliance of the out there picks Sakurai typically does? Like we don't have a R.O.B., a Wii Fit Trainer, etc.

I really feel like a Smash game isn't complete until we have the character that represents just how much of a genius at creating movesets he is.

Pakky

Smash Hero
We've got some great newcomers so far, but can we all agree? Not a one of them is on the sheer level of brilliance of the out there picks Sakurai typically does? Like we don't have a R.O.B., a Wii Fit Trainer, etc.

I really feel like a Smash game isn't complete until we have the character that represents just how much of a genius at creating movesets he is.
E-shop bag, please!

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710

I am really hoping for Reckless Wiimote Guy...

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
To add to this, Street Fighter II, due to being an arcade game, has made more money on its own than the entire Sonic franchise.

Holy ****. Not even rope ladder = K. Rool is real. Chairs = Incineroar, Ladder = Incineroar.
The Shield 2.0 confirmed

Incineroar, King K Rool, and Wario

Makes perfect sense

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
"Everyone Is Here" proves this is a Catch 22 situation. Characters aren't major or notable unless they get in Smash, but if they do they're retroactively important. Most clones are excellent examples or characters like Roy or Lucas being so popular they were brought back alongside Ryu. I don't think it makes sense to decide no more characters are needed.
If you want portions that are just enough to fill you up, don't go to an All-You-Can-Eat buffet.
That's kind of always been the weird thing and why I've been kind of mixed on the 'Everyone is Here' situation. It kind of leads to an interesting question in regards to much of Melee and Brawl's Roster in particular.

Without Melee and Brawl's roster would anyone actually care about characters like Pichu, Doctor Mario, Ice Climbers, ROB, or Young Link? I mean especially the Ice Climbers, who's game was always kind of considered kind of mediocre even at the time it was originally released. There are some that would still have some demand like I image that Wolf and Ganondorf would.

I will admit to being caught up in the hype train during the original E3 announcement but the more I kind of look back on the situation the more I find myself asking 'why'. I still excited for the game but I can't help but feel like they maybe ham-stringed themselves too much by focusing so heavily on 'Everyone is here'.

osby

Smash Obsessed

I get you. I don't want a random character with a zanny moveset just for ****s and giggles but unique newcomers were pretty basic this time, even if Inklings and Simon are mechanically unique.

Not a big loss, by any means, last time we had a lot of these type of characters but... yeah, I kinda want to see a completely unique character who don't originally fight. Though, Isabelle is mostly enough.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238

I actually like those kinds of characters, but literally every time Sakurai tries to do something creative, people complain about the character and say it was a waste of time.

Just about everyone forgets ROB even exists, and we still can't seem to move on from the WFT hate.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Prediction time! This time, I'll assume that the box theory and Vergeben are correct, which, by using hindsight, seems very likely.

October: Nothing
  • With only two characters left to reveal for the base game, there's no point in having a standalone trailer for either Ken, Incineroar or both, as it would greatly affect the content of a Smash Direct. It would also be too soon for a final pre-release Smash Direct since we'd end up waiting two months until the release with no character left to reveal.
November: Final Smash Direct before launch
  • Starts off with an Incineroar trailer
  • A Pokemon section talking about a new stage (either something based on Gen 7, Poke Floats 2 or perhaps even both?)
  • Transition to more Pokemons, then Assist Trophies and items, potential revealing most, if not all of them
  • If CoroCoro is right about there being 108 stages, we could see them being revealed here
  • Transition into Echo Fighters, namely the reveal of Ken
  • With the whole roster revealed, Sakurai finally talks about the mysterious mode
  • More modes?
  • Then the Direct ends... except not really because we'd get a trailer for the second Square Enix rep, likely Geno, and confirmation that he would be the first DLC and, much like Mewtwo in 4, would be able to be obtained for free once he releases in some way.

Last edited:

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I've seen some people throw around the idea of Incineroar and Ken being revealed in the same trailer

but I don't see that happening.

Yes they are both lit fighters but otherwise Street Fighter and Pokémon have nothing in common.

Lucina/Robin and Richter/Simon at least come from the same franchise.

If Dark samus didn't get revealed with Ridley I don't expect Incineroar and Ken to be together in a trailer.
I totally agree with you, but it's such a missed opportunity. I hope they break conventions and go through with it.

Plus if that reveal happens in October separate from a Smash direct (hoping for that sweet sweet random trailer drop) then it basically destroys the box theory and we are practically guaranteed a couple more uniques and echoes. Everybody wins.

I honestly felt we weren't getting one of these ever since the August direct. There honestly doesn't feel like a place for one. It's a shame for people who appreciate those characters, but I'm definitely more content with covering missing fan favorites.
Prediction time! This time, I'll assume that the box theory and Vergeben are correct, which, by using hindsight, seems very likely.

October: Nothing
  • With only two characters left to reveal for the base game, there's no point in having a standalone trailer for either Ken, Incineroar or both, as it would greatly affect the content of a Smash Direct. It would also be too soon for a final pre-release Smash Direct since we'd end up waiting two months until the release with nothing left to reveal.
November: Final Smash Direct before launch
  • Starts off with an Incineroar trailer
  • A Pokemon section talking about a new stage (either something based on Gen 7, Poke Floats 2 or perhaps even both?)
  • Transition to more Pokemons, then Assist Trophies and items, potential revealing most, if not all of them
  • If CoroCoro is right about there being 108 stages, we could see them being revealed here
  • Transition into Echo Fighters, namely the reveal of Ken
  • With the whole roster revealed, Sakurai finally talks about the mysterious mode
  • More modes?
  • Then the Direct ends... except not really because we'd get a trailer for the second Square Enix rep, likely Geno, and confirmation that he would be the first DLC and, much like Mewtwo in 4, would be able to be obtained for free once he releases in some way.
This is my boring, hype taming prediction. It's not even the character part that ruins me, just the fact that it's very likely we hear nothing new all October. But yea the only three characters I am confident about right now are Ken, Incineroar and Geno (hence being the first 3 in my signature).

Last edited:

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Speaking of

Where are the Ultra beasts in smash?
You know, I could see them revealing a Beast Ball item that summons exclusively one of the Ultra Beasts.

Although it would be weird since there’s only 11, with 4 of those being added just last year. It’d be a small pool, and even then that’s assuming Sakurai adds all of them.

If not then a few will probably be revealed as legendary-level Pokéballs alongside the Incineroar reveal.

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team

I think Pichu coming back is pretty WTF enough

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
This is my boring, hype taming prediction. It's not even the character part that ruins me, just the fact that it's very likely we hear nothing new all October. But yea the only three characters I am confident about right now are Ken, Incineroar and Geno (hence being the first 3 in my signature).
We also got nothing in July, so it wouldn't be the first time the hype train skipped a month.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
When it comes to BOXES,

Although I don’t believe that there are only 1 newcomer and echo left, I do think that it further cements Ken as a playable character.

I feel that they’re planning to reveal the 1 newcomer and 1 echo soon. Maybe it’s Incineroar and Ken in a single trailer, which would be cool, but I think they’ll show them separately.

What pose would Ken get and where would he be on the mural?

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master

If Sakurai comes through with the Chorus Kids this time around, I feel like they could have potential to be one of these characters with a clever (rhythm based?) moveset, while also being somewhat "wtf?" for all those who have no idea about Rhythm Heaven (so, like, everyone outside Japan) and/or the Gematsu leaks.

Last edited:

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
As Greninja got a lot of moves coming for ninjas instead from Pokémon moves, as the log or the water swords, I hope that Incineroar come with wrestler stuff an playing dirty. Some crap like this.
8034.gif

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Because Smash turns 20 next year. What better way to celebrate its history?
If that's the reasoning for doing so I can understand it, even if I don't entirely agree with it. As I said I'm still excited for the game even if I don't agree with every direction the game is taking.

Last edited:

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I really want them to announce the Pokemon already, and I really do hope it's Incineroar. Firstly because I think he's really cool, and secondly, it'd kill the end all be all argument some people have about the inclusion solely being about anime marketing. I don't get how a fire wrestling cat with a ton of personality doesn't appeal to people, but hey, that's just me.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
I hope Incineroar has Darkest Lariat in his moveset, maybe as his Side-B.

I really want to see that move actually animated and not just as a crappy t-pose.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You’re actually kind of wrong.

Street Fighter 2010 was an NES game where you played as Ken in a sci fi dystopia.

And he had an arm cannon...
In the US version of the game it's Ken

"The English localization of Street Fighter 2010 differs from the original Japanese release, changing the main character's identity and backstory in order to imply that he is the same Ken from the original Street Fighter, having retired from his martial arts career after winning the tournament. In the Japanese version, the main character is actually named Kevin Striker "

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
In regards to Ken being in Smash, it always makes sense that he'd be the second SF character since he's pretty much number 2 when it comes to iconic SF characters.

D

Deleted member

But.. Why makes this reference at all, if there's no Isaac in Smash? It wouldn't make sense. Why would he want to kill us on the inside?

Unless he holds a overall grudge against Camelot-created characters, cause Waluigi is one to and he gets this **** all the time. But, with Waluigi it's funny. With Isaac it's straight up pain in the very core of existance.
First there was "Sakurai hates Metroid", then "Sakurai hates western characters" but "Sakurai hates King Arthur and his Knights" is probably the weirdest one, everyone knows Saber is in
Can we make this a game? Which characters do you play just so that you can spam a move over and over again?
:ultcorrin: :GCB::GCR:
There's no other answer
To the defense of this and my own theory; Bayonetta was a very recent game on the Wii U, Golden Sun is anything but recent.. unfortunately.
Stop moving goalposts buddy
Plot twist: The gen 7 Pokemon rep is Oranguru.
...It's still a Pokemon Trainer style fighter, who has 3 Pokemon at its disposal...
One of its Pokemon is another Oranguru in an analogy to real world slavery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom