• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sdpdude9

Smash Apprentice
I'm betting on 3 more unique newcomers. 2 revealed in a final smash direct and 1 more revealed in a general direct. As far as echoes, I'd guess at most 3.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Can we make this a game? Which characters do you play just so that you can spam a move over and over again?
I'm going to indirectly answer this by saying that I really wanted Captain Falcon to have multiple echos so I can have more diverse "Falcon Punch" fights with my goofball friends

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
But.. Why makes this reference at all, if there's no Isaac in Smash? It wouldn't make sense. Why would he want to kill us on the inside?

Unless he holds a overall grudge against Camelot-created characters, cause Waluigi is one to and he gets this **** all the time. But, with Waluigi it's funny. With Isaac it's straight up pain in the very core of existance.
Zero Suit Samus' classic mode ending in 4 referenced Bayonetta long before she was added as DLC. It's not unheard of for him to reference a non-playable series.

D

Deleted member

Can we make this a game? Which characters do you play just so that you can spam a move over and over again?
Whenever I pick Falcon, all I do is Falcon Punch, my Ness play tends to devolve into PK Flash spam at some point, and with Star, I'll spam any special move or taunt.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Tell you guys what:
If Incineroar is included and is ridiculously over the top (like, with furniture as a part of his moveset) then I'm way more okay with it.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
The reason why I think we might get a more hype reveal later is because of well...

An upcoming Smash Direct.

There’s a reason why someone like Isabelle was shown in a Nintendo direct. Not only was it because she can connect to a Animal Crossing 2019 teaser, but she is more well known to the bigger crowd that would be watching the Direct for news other than Smash.

Someone like Geno, Isaac, or even Lloyd and Elma are characters that would most likely be featured in a Smash centric direct because those are the characters that the Smash community would get hyped about since they are popular characters and most likely did well on the ballot, maybe not Elma, but the Xenoblade and Smash communities are very close and there are a lot of fans that are fans of both series. And with it being a Smash Direct that Smash fans would most likely be watching, it makes sense to put someone like them in that specific direct to get the hype going, and to eventually reveal them.

This isn’t like any other Smash hype cycle where we have about 1-2 years to spread out information. We only 5 months to do so, so they’re going to be more mindful about when to reveal characters this time.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I gotta say, I'm liking Isabelle's moveset the more I see it.

I expected that, if she'd be unique, Public Works Projects from New Leaf would be a big gimmick of hers. But so far, only the up smash taps onto that potential, and only because it makes one of those projects appears out of thin air, so they really played it safe with her.

But there's a lot of moves we have yet to see and I wanna try to guess them because I like speculating about movesets.

Jab - Boxing gloves like Villager, but is too afraid to actually hit anyone and just flails around with her eyes closed
Ftilt - Toy Hammer we see in one of the screenshots. Much like in New Leaf, it could have very weak knockback, but be really fast
Down tilt - Just copies Villager's by pulling a weed. Could see it be a different color (brown for fall?) to distinguish it

Fair - Slingshot just like Villager. Maybe a difference could be that she can shoot multiple at once in different angles (like the golden slingshot), but have drastically less range because game balance?
Bair - Either the same as the above or a more creative idea; she could look back and perform this emotion, with the lines acting as hitboxes
Uair and Dair - Red turnips. These would work much like Villager's turnips, but without the randomness, making them consistent. Overall power would be similar to Villager having two turnips, though dair could still meteor

Throws - Copies Villager in all of them

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Zero Suit Samus' classic mode ending in 4 referenced Bayonetta long before she was added as DLC. It's not unheard of for him to reference a non-playable series.
How did it? Not familiar with Bayonetta as a game.

Anyhow, funny, because I recall that Sakurai used Zero Suit Samus as a base to create Bayonetta out of.

And I can't find this article anymore however... It also stated Ike was used as a base for Cloud (quite obvious) and Marth was used as a base for Corrin (less obvious).

It's kind of relevant, because Isabelle was also quite obviously build up from Villager's moveset.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
:4corrinf::GCD::GCB: Works Almost every time....
:sonic::GCDpad: "You're Too Slow"
:ultfalcon::GCB: "Falcon Pawnnch!"
:pit::GCR::GCB: I miss this move so Much...
:ultpikachu::GCD::GCB: "Pika!"

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Tell you guys what:
If Incineroar is included and is ridiculously over the top (like, with furniture as a part of his moveset) then I'm way more okay with it.
Incineroar's trailer shows Young Link summoning Skull Kid's assist, and Incineroar beats them both back with purple and yellow plastic chairs.

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
The aerial version of Ganon's Wizard Foot. Usually I play Ganon for real but sometimes I just want to bounce people on the stage.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I've seen some people throw around the idea of Incineroar and Ken being revealed in the same trailer

but I don't see that happening.

Yes they are both lit fighters but otherwise Street Fighter and Pokémon have nothing in common.

Lucina/Robin and Richter/Simon at least come from the same franchise.

If Dark samus didn't get revealed with Ridley I don't expect Incineroar and Ken to be together in a trailer.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Incineroar's trailer shows Young Link summoning Skull Kid's assist, and Incineroar beats them both back with purple and yellow plastic chairs.
I am 100% okay with that.
If disconfirmation of my characters means we get a ****posty Pokemon then I'm okay with it.
Without the being over the top he's just kind of a... fire cat wrestler. So I imagine they'd have to do something a bit more anyway.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I gotta say, I'm liking Isabelle's moveset the more I see it.

I expected that, if she'd be unique, Public Works Projects from New Leaf would be a big gimmick of hers. But so far, only the up smash taps onto that potential, and only because it makes one of those projects appears out of thin air, so they really played it safe with her.

But there's a lot of moves we have yet to see and I wanna try to guess them because I like speculating about movesets.

Jab - Boxing gloves like Villager, but is too afraid to actually hit anyone and just flails around with her eyes closed
Ftilt - Toy Hammer we see in one of the screenshots. Much like in New Leaf, it could have very weak knockback, but be really fast
Down tilt - Just copies Villager's by pulling a weed. Could see it be a different color (brown for fall?) to distinguish it

Fair - Slingshot just like Villager. Maybe a difference could be that she can shoot multiple at once in different angles (like the golden slingshot), but have drastically less range because game balance?
Bair - Either the same as the above or a more creative idea; she could look back and perform this emotion, with the lines acting as hitboxes
Uair and Dair - Red turnips. These would work much like Villager's turnips, but without the randomness, making them consistent. Overall power would be similar to Villager having two turnips, though dair could still meteor

Throws - Copies Villager in all of them
I really don't think she'll end up being that derivative. In particular I don't see her keeps the boxing gloves and slingshot.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Incineroar and Ken should be in the same trailer for one reason alone.

...You could call it "Pokémon Masters" and have it work for both.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Yes, I do. Hence why I suggested it.

I'm actually surprised Sakurai never weaponized emotions yet.
"I just... I just can't hit her. She's obviously distressed, she needs support right now, not to be hit"
The start of Cloud and Isabelle's friendship

Yeah, I kinda hope it happens now

majora_787

Smash Hero
The only reason I touch Wario is for his motorcycle... which I guess is kind of awkward, since he was the first ever newcomer I wanted back... uhh. 14, 15, 16 years ago? Something like that.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm kinda hoping Isabelle's Fair and Bair will involve her swinging a clipboard out in front of her.

I don't know why, but I just really want to see a clipboard implemented into her moveset. She is a secretary after all.

osby

Smash Obsessed
:4corrinf::GCD::GCB: Works Almost every time....
:sonic::GCDpad: "You're Too Slow"
:ultfalcon::GCB: "Falcon Pawnnch!"
:pit::GCR::GCB: I miss this move so Much...
:ultpikachu::GCD::GCB: "Pika!"
:ultjigglypuff::GCU::GCB: Someday, it will connect...
:ultpalutena::GCU:Smash. It's a laser beam.
:ultwiifittrainer::GCB: "SALUTE THE SUN!" I like that pose in real life, too.
:ultrobinEvery ****ing :GCB:, especially Elwind. Sakurai was smart to give his tomes limited uses.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Here's some speculation theory crafting.

If you takes verges rumours and you take the box hypothesis and you make them have a baby. Add a bit of Smash 4's DLC history with Nintendo trends, here is what you get:

1) Incinaroar and Ken playable.
These bloaks will probably share a trailer, they both fight and use fire.

2) Square Enix rep? Simple it's Geno.
It'll finish off the last smash direct announcing him as DLC. He'll be free if you buy the online service. Similar to Mewtwo in some sense, free but linked to a promotion. Nimtendo is doing exclusive skins for aces like this so maybe Nintendo will continue the trend.

Thats it and the microsoft content is meaningless content like the ubisoft content in smash 4.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Uhh, excuse me. But has Ken ever gotten his own game where he got to use guns? I don't think so. /s (Tell me if I'm wrong though.)
You’re actually kind of wrong.

Street Fighter 2010 was an NES game where you played as Ken in a sci fi dystopia.

And he had an arm cannon...

Koopaul

Smash Champion
The there is no frequency lol. E3 gave us 2. Then 2 months later August direct gave us 5, then a month later the September direct gave us 1. We could get 10 more character or 2 in the final direct and there's honestly no way to predict it
I mean in terms of unique newcomers.

We never get more than 2 unique fighters shown in each anouncement or direct. And given the time we have left, I suspect one unique character to be shown on his or her own like Isabelle. Maybe in October. And then two to be shown at the final Direct before the game comes out. These new unique characters get a lot of build up and their own trailer. The character trailer is shown at the beginning or at the end of the Direct to give it a proper build up.

The Simon and Richter trailer was shown at the beginning because there was a lot to talk about, they had a new stage, boss, music, echo, and more. K. Rool was shown at the end just like Ridley at E3 because they did not get a new stage or anything more than the new character themself.

So this is purely speculation but I suspect that the unique newcomer shown at the start of the final Direct will have a stage to show off and more. While the character shown at the end will not. As for echoes? They have always been shown off somewhere in the middle of a Direct. The amount of echo fighters could be anything since they aren't tied to a special character trailer. He could just show a bunch.

But the trailer is an important part of my speculation process. Sakurai himself said that these trailers are important and he wants them to really sell these characters, and you really can't just show a trailer out of no where or in the middle of a Direct. It HAS to be at the beginning or at the end or else you'd ruin the build up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom