• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Well is the final Smash NOT referencing this scene?
Just because it's referencing it means it has to be 100% exact to what it's referencing, less they be smitten by Sakurai himself.

Chrono.

...I somehow never realized it until now. Huh. That's a mistake on my part.

But the point still stands for the other characters, especially with Shadow and Skull Kid. The Moon and Knuckles appearing as ATs with no sign of them so far is very suspicious...
As much I'd like Shadow, we gotta agree that sometimes ATs just come and go. Look at Ray and Isaac.

Elec Man is missing too, does that mean it's gonna be playable? Maybe, maybe not or maybe he's just replaced and nothing else.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
See this? This bothers me.

Banjo & Kazooie don't play anything like Duck Hunt. Anyone's who's played the games would know that.

To think people actually have the gall to suggest they'd be a Duck Hunt echo.
I love the Banjo-Kazooie games. Played the crap out of them. I was just equating their partnership because they’re like a well-oiled fighting machine. Just like the dynamic duo.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Just because it's referencing it means it has to be 100% exact to what it's referencing, less they be smitten by Sakurai himself.
So the man wouldn't reference his own work 100% to the letter without a good reason?

Eh, this seems suspect to me.

Last edited:

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
So just as soon as I'm about to throw in the towel on stages, Corocoro comes in and gives me hope that there are five more? This speculation period truly is a roller coaster of emotions.

Jokes aside, that's an interesting development. As mentioned before, it would fit with speculation over the matter since it would explain why nothing is centered and that there's enough space for five stages + the probable DLC button. So putting my tin foil hat on, it could be that they just didn't want to talk about those five and hid them for the time being and then in the final blowout they'll give them out with the last bits of information and conclude with that until release.

The question is what those stages are as we do have the box theory to consider. You could argue one is going to Pokémon as that was always speculated to be the one pre-existing franchise to get one if there were more, but the other four are up in the air. Maybe one's Minecraft as Vergeban suggested?

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Yesterday it was "did the box just leak the character count?"
Today it was "did Corocoro just leak the stage count"?

What can we expect to be arguing about tomorrow? The assist trophy count?
*looks in the mirror*
*we're all smash*
Well, you aren't wrong. :ultmiifighters:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm inclined to believe the 108 stages. There's six spaces so five of those could easily be filled in by those and the sixth could be the selection for DLC stages.

Camc10

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Cam10_84
3DS FC
3625-9535-8650
Google translate is telling me the Japanese characters before 71 say "currently" so it's not saying that's the final roster size, but rather that's the number of total characters revealed so far (I'm not even sure the math checks out, maybe counting pk trnr as 3 characters?).
My Google Translate had "exceeding" 71

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Here's what i think those 5 stages are:
1. Gangplank Galleon
2. A Xenoblade X Stage
3. Rhythm Heaven
4. A Gen VIII Stage
5. SE Rep Stage

Shroob

Sup?
I think the biggest thing here is the hypocrisy.

"Why would the team that's tasked in making this box and even sort characters in groups of 9 know the roster? That makes no sense!"

"What? A magazine that's reporting on the 8.8 Direct says there's 5 more stages we don't know about? Sign me the **** up!"

pholtos

Smash Journeyman
108 would make sense, them hiding it for newcomers makes sense.
103 was never outright stated to be the final total. All mentions of the total stagecount in directs used present tenses to describe the stage count.
So it could be 103, or it could be 103+.
I'm of the opinion it's more than 103, and they naturally are hiding the additional new stages due to needing to keep them under wraps given they go with more newcomers.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
It's also possible there IS 108 stages but the magazine still made a typo because they didn't know

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Here's what i think those 5 stages are:
1. Gangplank Galleon
2. A Xenoblade X Stage
3. Rhythm Heaven
4. A Gen VIII Stage
5. SE Rep Stage
If they had a Gangplank Galleon stage they would have almost certainly shown it off during K.Rool's reveal. I think we can rule a DK trilogy stage out.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Yesterday it was "did the box just leak the character count?"
Today it was "did Corocoro just leak the stage count"?

What can we expect to be arguing about tomorrow? The assist trophy count?
The back of the Super Smash Bros Ultimate cereal box told me we were only getting three assist trophies. All the ones we've seen so far have been lies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'm thinking.

Bowser's Castle (Like come on how has this not happened yet!?)
Rhythm Heaven stage
Minecraft stage
Poke Floats 2
Super Mario RPG stage (Forest Maze or Star Road)

Last edited:

Chrono.

If there's one area I'd like to see as a stage, it's Ultra Space from the og S/M.

wzLlTRF.jpg

Looks eerie and all the Nihilegos in the background glitching out and disappearing would make for a cool visual.

Never gonna happen though, on top of that the current batch of music would never fit this stage lol. Metroid music of all things would fit this stage better.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
If there's one area I'd like to see as a stage, it's Ultra Space from the og S/M.

View attachment 164611

Looks eerie and all the Nihilegos in the background glitching out and disappearing would make for a cool visual.

Never gonna happen though, on top of that the current batch of music would never fit this stage lol. Metroid music of all things would fit this stage better.
Is there a way to confirm all of the music?

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
If they had a Gangplank Galleon stage they would have almost certainly shown it off during K.Rool's reveal. I think we can rule a DK trilogy stage out.
Sadly you maybe right. Quite a shame. That'd be a fun stage really with the ship tilting back and fourth and cannonballs falling from the sky at times as hazards. It'd be lot of fun.

CosmicQuark

Smash Master

"Why would the team that's tasked in making this box and even sort characters in groups of 9 know the roster? That makes no sense!"

"What? A magazine that's reporting on the 8.8 Direct says there's 5 more stages we don't know about? Sign me the **** up!"
I don't think it's hypocritical. Placeholder art happens a lot more than big mistakes in magazines (and we know it's a placeholder, because of the negative space, and lacking Isabelle). In both cases, placeholder art and magazines have accidentally leaked information before. They're comparable, but there's more reasons why the box art could be misleading, where as the only reason CoroCoro would be wrong is a misprint. Though, we should all check our biases and ask ourselves which one would we "wish" was true--and for that one, be extra skeptical. I would want the CoroCoro leak to be true, so I consider all the reasons why it might not be true (e.g., magazines misprint, Sakurai's seemingly definitive statement, the rest of the characters could be from returning series without needing more stages, etc.).

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

Beauty in the Chaos
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Welcome to Smash Bros. Speculation, home to confirmation bias and many other logical fallacies made by fans to justify their character’s inclusion.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
I don't think it's hypocritical. Placeholder art happens a lot more than big mistakes in magazines (and we know it's a placeholder, because of the negative space, and lacking Isabelle). In both cases, placeholder art and magazines have accidentally leaked information before. They're comparable, but there's more reasons why the box art could be misleading, where as the only reason CoroCoro would be wrong is a misprint. Though, we should all check our biases and ask ourselves which one would we "wish" was true--and for that one, be extra skeptical. I would want to CoroCoro leak to be true, so I consider all the reasons why it might not be true (e.g., magazines misprint, Sakurai's seemingly definitive statement, the rest of the characters could be from returning series without needing more stages, etc.).
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is a lesson in the well established scientific method of managing bias.

Chrono.

Is there a way to confirm all of the music?
No.

That's why I said current batch of music. All we know is we're getting a remix of the Alolan trainer battle theme and probably all the songs from last Smash games.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I don't think it's hypocritical. Placeholder art happens a lot more than big mistakes in magazines (and we know it's a placeholder, because of the negative space, and lacking Isabelle). In both cases, placeholder art and magazines have accidentally leaked information before. They're comparable, but there's more reasons why the box art could be misleading, where as the only reason CoroCoro would be wrong is a misprint. Though, we should all check our biases and ask ourselves which one would we "wish" was true--and for that one, be extra skeptical. I would want to CoroCoro leak to be true, so I consider all the reasons why it might not be true (e.g., magazines misprint, Sakurai's seemingly definitive statement, the rest of the characters could be from returning series without needing more stages, etc.).
Or, hear me out here:

People don't like the idea of things coming to an end/ending disappointingly, so they hype themselves up, only to burn out in the end.

Brawl and Smash 4's speculation scene ended with a whimper and, "Third time's a charm", am I right?

92MilesPrower

Smash Ace
As much I'd like Shadow, we gotta agree that sometimes ATs just come and go. Look at Ray and Isaac.

Elec Man is missing too, does that mean it's gonna be playable? Maybe, maybe not or maybe he's just replaced and nothing else.
The thing is, Shadow is notably a hugely popular character, and I doubt that he's not going to make an appearance in some way, whether he's still an AT, playable, or as a boss or stage hazard or something else, especially after being an AT twice. If he just disappears, then there's gonna be plenty of outcry from confused and upset fans wondering why he wasn't at least an AT again.

Elecman getting replaced completely by Zero wouldn't really be a big shocker or anything, as Zero is an extremely popular Mega Man character, with Elecman's popularity likely paling in comparison. But who's to say we won't have both?

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I'll recount the stages again. I'll count this Tuesday's Music Update since it's very likely what series it'll be from.

Alright so there are 11 weeks left for music(after September 18th).

The remaining series yet to have a sample:

Star Fox
Pokemon
Earthbound
Ice Climbers
Game & Watch
Kid Icarus
Wario
Sonic
R.O.B
Wii Fit
Punch Out
Miis
Xenoblade
Duck Hunt
Final Fantasy
Bayonetta

16 left. However Final Fantasy and Bayonnetta probably aren't getting a sample based on song count, group the retros together, and the fact that Snipperclips might be used in Wii Fit Studios or a Mii Stage. And I don't think Punch Out will get a sample. Then there are around 9 current series left to get a sample leaving 2 new possible IPs before release.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Why do you think the mystery mode is called spirits? I'm the main character because rstupid theories killed me
Woah. Guess that avatar of yours makes sense too since Bi-Han is ****ing dead, but his brother's still alive and kicking.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
-Doesn't believe the box theory, because they believe Nintendo wouldn't let the number of characters leak.

-Is ok with believing Nintendo let the number of stages leak.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
The back of the Super Smash Bros Ultimate cereal box told me we were only getting three assist trophies. All the ones we've seen so far have been lies.
So what you're saying is that Waluigi still has a chance-
EXCEPT Waluigi
...Oh.

Ahem.
So what you're saying is that Klaptrap, Burrowing Snagret and Nikki from Swapnote all still have a chance?

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
.....the day....the muuuusic died.

Bye bye, Miss American Pie!
Drove my Chevy to the levy but the levy was dry.

....hello?

I wonder if Simon says anything about Richter and how odd their meeting is.....centuries apart.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom