• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StormC

Smash Hero
So CoroCoro just happened to have a typo that correlates with the exact number of spots left for stages?

One that was missed in huge big text?

Not really buying this one.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Incineroar is a cat, there are no playable cats.

HOLY ****.

I swear to god if any of you mention Mewtwo
Excuse me sir, would you please give a moment to talk about our lord and savior, Super-Mutant Fetus-Cat?

Noipoi

Howdy!

The October Edition of CoroCoro only has 8/8 Direct Screens/Info.

The only new thing is the 108 Stage Count.

It could be a mistake.
Here we go again...

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Alright, smart guy. Explain to me what Poochy does that makes him unique from the other dog on the roster.

See, the fallacy of your argument is that Isaac's actually shown utilizing non-natural abilities in his series, whereas Poochy has been shown to do... dog things.

If ever there was a character suited for an assist trophy role, Poochy's it.
Put some respect on my boy Nether's name

Poochy could use some of Yoshi's attacks and spawn his own Poochy Pups as a neat gimmick for his own moves. He could even partner up with a Ukiki (a Yoshi character who he teamed up with in the past) and I do actually have an extensive moveset of those two lying around.

D

Deleted member

Alright, smart guy. Explain to me what Poochy does that makes him unique from the other dog on the roster.

See, the fallacy of your argument is that Isaac's actually shown utilizing non-natural abilities in his series, whereas Poochy has been shown to do... dog things.

Poochy's made of yarn, just give him what everyone wanted Yarn Kirby and Yarn Yoshi to do.

It could be a mistake.
Well, there you have it
Kamek is definitely a Yoshi character. He did not exist till the first game in the series. He's literally designed for it. He didn't even properly show up otherwise till the RPG's later on as Baby Bowser's caretaker. That's who is meant for. Baby Bowser is a Yoshi character too. Shy Guy is the only one who started as a Mario character, but became more associated with Yoshi instead.

Anyway, Yoshi was currently having his own games when he got his logo. That's all it was, the right timing when actually becoming a character. Wario would have had the Mario logo if it was during Melee, as he only had a few Mario spin-offs at the time. He didn't really separate himself till WarioWare to any major degree. Wario Land is great, but it's a very clear derivative of Mario's games, due to the transformation gimmick being very similar to Mario's power-ups. He also was officially labeled a Mario character in the trophies at the time, which is part of why I believe it'll be like this. Plus, Yoshi's Story, unlike Yoshi's Island, was pretty much pure Yoshi, having little to do with Mario himself. The actual characters still mostly existed, but it also had its own full assets and atmosphere. Yoshi's Island still was basically a design similar to Super Mario World.

He's ****ing invincible!

You can't kill that pupper!
Isn't that Isabelle's thing tho?

Potato_

Smash Lord

It could be a mistake.

Well then I guess we're waiting for either CoroCoro or Nintendo themselves to comment on the situation then.

Chrono.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Looks like it fits pretty nicely.
I think the DLC/Next page button could fit on the bottom left side of the screen under the stage preview.

Reason being that the final slot /should/ go to the Training Stage when selecting a stage in Training Mode, rendering the slot empty in regular Smash modes.
Potentially 108 stages? We have a "SPIRITS" mode? I know a certain character made up of 108 spirits...

Spiritomb confirmed!!!!!!!
************ gonna have me digging holes again.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Yoshi has his own series of games. Starting out with Yoshi's Island, then into Yoshi's Story.

Therefore, he was treated as such in Smash, receiving his own unique franchise icon.

Having games of his own is really all I need to know to be convinced of that.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722

I found this post by King Sonnn DeDeDoo King Sonnn DeDeDoo in the Poochy Support Thread:

Made a moveset for Poochy

Poochy Moveset

Attributes: Since Yoshi uses poochy as a mount he would have to be heavier than yoshi, maybe around Samus' weight. also I imagine he would have better ground mobility than the air, since he's seen on the ground running rather than jumping around like yoshi.

B- Lick:
This move is taken directly from one of Yoshi's custom moves in Smash 4, Poochy lunges forward and gives the opponent a big ol' lick. Altered slightly so the tongue goes in an upward motion to allow the move's hitbox to guard against aerial attacks.

Side B- Charge:
Poochy charges forward at high speeds, going into a charge that deals moderate knockback and damage when colliding with an enemy. While charging poochy receives both knockback and damage resistance (a nod toward Poochy resilience, seriously the dog can withstand acid and lava!). Lastly, after a short animation, Poochy can change directions during the charge. Performing this move in the air puts Poochy in special fall.

Up B- Bubble:
After a bit of start up, Poochy becomes encased inside a bubble (like the ones Baby mario and the rest of the mario crew in 3D world use) and starts floating in a direction of your choice. You can speed up or slow down the direction the bubble moves in, and even go a different direction if you counteract the initial momentum of the move. After the duration of the move or if the move is ended early by pressing B, the bubble will pop dealing damage and knockback to enemies in a small radius around poochy.

Down B- Poochy-Pups:
These little woolly pups function somewhere in between :ultolimar:'s Pikmin and :ultrosalina:'s Lumas. You can call them out one by one with your Down special maxing out at 3 at a time. These little guys will follow behind Poochy and try their best to mimic big poochy's actions, preforming weak versions of his attacks. If Poochy preforms a smash attack or Special move, they will perform their weak version of the attack one after the other. If the pups are knocked away, they won't mimic your attacks until they can reach you again. Unfortunately, Poochy pups only have a set amount of HP before they unravel and you have to wait for them to recharge. You can see how many Pups you have available to call in during play by little pup icons on top of your damage indicator. Using bubble will cause the pups to get encased in a bubble and automatically float towards poochy.
You might disagree with it for sure, but it's something.

Also the point about Assist Trophies was something I brought up in my comment you were initially responding to. The fact that my boi didn't even get THAT is worrisome...

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
This begs the question though. If Sakurai wanted to have all starting characters to have separate logos, why not extend that to Luigi and Jigglypuff? It's just two characters. I think people like to go for that conclusion because they don't think Sakurai treats my boi as a star of his own series...
That's because he doesn't.

Reminder: Yoshi was shoved in the middle of the Mario cast's section of the CSS in SSB4.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607

Explain to me when Donkey Kong whirled around and floated through the air.

Explain to me when Duck Hunt became the banjo to the Duck’s kazooie?

When did Luigi learn Shoryuken?

I’m sorry for sounding mean. Sarcasm is a trade, but I mean no actual disrespect.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Black Shadow is...one stone cold ************. My lord.
How can you not love this sick, wicked, boy. Great clip!!
I mean, you should see the **** he survived.
Yeah he lived through that and showed up like 4 episodes later back to business like nothing even happened.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
It's honestly not out of the question for there to be at least five more stages on the select screen. After all, six slots are still empty, when the stage selection screen was even centered for the demo. Even during the direct, it said the final stage total is turning out to be 103.
That could just be worded differently from the initial Japanese statement, but it's still there.
After all, it'd allow another slot for a DLC page, or even a custom stage page if that comes back.
We don't even know the rest of the "minor" content included for this game, so it's a very real possibility.

It could very well be a mistake in the print, however there's no denying the fact that it does line up with a couple observations.
We'll see.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
You guys celebrated too openly about the Box being killed.

Now karma has brought it back with a vengeance.

Kaeltor

Smash Apprentice
Someone mentioned this a while back in this thread but a cool character (or characters) concept is a baby Mario & Luigi that play like ice climbers (ie as a pair, one "character") their moves coming from the rpg spinoffs. I still think it's a neat idea, not going to happen, but neat nonetheless.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Now that...THAT'S a strong lad right there.
First invincible Smash character except for when Falcon Punched pls??
The Falcon Punch didn't kill Black Shadow, that knocked him back into the exploding Dark Matter Reactor that was busy self-destructing with similar kinds of energy that it was using to pull back the expansion of the universe and make a new big bang.

It's complicated but his end goal was just to **** the universe up and make it evil. No reason why, he just wanted to.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
That is Magikoopa, not Kamek. A generic enemy. Kamek's first proper appearance, as in the actual character, is not till Yoshi's Island. Just like the version of Toad we all know and love didn't literally debut till Super Mario Bros. 2 USA. So no, wrong character.

That's because he doesn't.

Reminder: Yoshi was shoved in the middle of the Mario cast's section of the CSS in SSB4.
Yep, because he debuted before Bowser Jr. and Rosalina. He does have ties to Mario, and it's quite arguable that wasn't a good position to put him either. But he was always close to the original set of Mario characters, the ones he debuted with(Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser).

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
The Falcon Punch didn't kill Black Shadow, that knocked him back into the exploding Dark Matter Reactor that was busy self-destructing with similar kinds of energy that it was using to pull back the expansion of the universe and make a new big bang.

It's complicated but his end goal was just to **** the universe up
Oh...oh damn
So...unless he's Falcon Punched into an exploding Smash Ball Cross item that also has numerous Destruct Bombs within?
...damn the F-Zero anime is actually lit

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
Someone mentioned this a while back in this thread but a cool character (or characters) concept is a baby Mario & Luigi that play like ice climbers (ie as a pair, one "character") their moves coming from the rpg spinoffs. I still think it's a neat idea, not going to happen, but neat nonetheless.
C'mon. We all know there's only one baby that will be in this game.

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord

It's complicated but his end goal was just to **** the universe up and make it evil. No reason why, he just wanted to.
I love that this is a thing. This was a plot someone came up with for F-Zero.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Why I don't buy the 108 thing being a typo.

1. It fills in the slots nicely with a DLC button, just like Smash 3DS
2. Corocoro has leaked several stuff from Smash and Pokemon before.
3. 108 is an important number for Japan. It's suppose to be for the new year or something. And the release falls near the end of the year. And next year is Smash's 20th Anniversary.

Chrono.

So on one hand, I could write this off as Corocoro simply misprinting because... Well, it's happened before. With them specifically too.

But...
So CoroCoro just happened to have a typo that correlates with the exact number of spots left for stages?

One that was missed in huge big text?
This is significant.

It lines up too well with the information we already got.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
That is Magikoopa, not Kamek. A generic enemy. Kamek's first proper appearance, as in the actual character, is not till Yoshi's Island. Just like the version of Toad we all know and love didn't literally debut till Super Mario Bros. 2 USA. So no, wrong character.
Is Kamek the Bandanda Waddle Dee of Mario?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I think its important to see if CoroCoro regularly makes these kinds of mistakes.

PushDustIn PushDustIn

Do they?

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
This is significant.

It lines up too well with the information we already got.
Call me the devil's advocate but would it be out of thought to say that they likely thought of the same proportions and said it was 108 based off of what was left? I mean, we don't even have it fully translated yet.

Noipoi

Howdy!
I don't think it's a typo, the HUGE LETTERS would be pretty hard to miss. Then again I don't work at corocoro, I dunno what goes down there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom