• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ganondorf_22

Smash Journeyman
You guys want a game? I'll have you something to do: the Equalitarian Smash Roster. All currently represented franchises MUST have 3 and ONLY characters(when applicable), be them Unique or Echoes.
If a franchise has more than 3, you can only cut until it goes down to 3, if there are less, you need to fill those spots with newcomers.
Additionally, you may add up to three franchises, and all must come with 3 characters.
For example:
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultbowser:
:ultyoshi:(Kamek)(Poochy)
:ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf:
:ultfalcon:(e Black Shadow)(Samurai Goroh)
:ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultridley:
:ultpikachu::ultgreninja::ultpokemontrainer:(gotta love loopholes)
:ultmarth::ultike::ultrobin
:ultness::ultlucas:(Porky)
:ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede:
:ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf:
:ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultpalutena:
:ultvillager:(Isabelle)(Tom Nook)
:ultshulk:(Elma)(Rex & Pyra)
:ultinkling:(e Octoling)(Squid Sisters)
:ultlittlemac:(King Hippo)(Doc Louis)
:ultolimar:(e Alph)(Plasm Wraith)
:ultsonic:(e Shadow)(Tails)
:ultsnake:(Raiden)(Revolver Ocelot)
:ultmegaman:(e Proto Man)(Zero)
:ultpacman:(e Ms.Pac-Man)(The Ghosts)
:ultryu:(e Ken)(Chun-Li)
:ultcloud:(TerraCeles)(Warrior of Light)
:ultbayonetta:(e Jeanne)(I'm sure there's more but I never played Bayonetta so god help me I'm scared)
:ultsimon::ultrichter:(Alucard)

New franchises:
The Wonderful 101: (Wonder-Red)(e Prince Vorkken)(Wonder-Blue)
Etrian Odyssey: (Protector)(Highlander)(Fafnire)
Chrono Trigger: (Crono)(Marle)(Lucca)

Non-applicable
:ultduckhunt::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultrob::ultwiifittrainer:

hopefully I didn't forget anyone
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultbowser:
:ultyoshi: (Baby Mario) (Baby Luigi)
:ultdk: (Dixie Kong) :ultkrool:
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf:
:ultfalcon: (F-Zero car) (A racetrack)
:ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultridley:
:ultpikachu::ultjigglypuff::ultpichu:
:ultchrom::ultmarth::ultrobin
:ultness: (Giygas) (Mr. Saturn)
:ultkirby::ultkingdedede:(The painter from Kirby 64)
:ultfox::ultfalco: (Krystal)
:ultpit::ultpalutena: (Medusa)
:ultvillager: (Mr. Resetti) (Tom Nook)
(Guy on the cover on Xenogears) :ultshulk: (Rex? Is that his name? *shrug*)
:ultinkling: (Marina) (The jellyfish that sells you weapons)
(Main character from Super Punch Out) (Doc Louis) :ultlittlemac:
:ultolimar: (Red and beige thing that eats the pikmin) (Nature)
(Knuckles) (Dr. Robotnik) (Metal Sonic)
:ultsnake: (Revolver Ocelot) (Grey Ninja Fox, whatever his name is)
:ultmegaman: (Roll) (Zero)
:ultpacman: (The dog from Pac-Man 2) (Ms. Pac-Man)
:ultryu: (Ken) (Akuma)
(Cecil) (The main woman from FFX and X-2) :ultcloud:
:ultbayonetta: (Ronin) (Rosa)
:ultsimon::ultrichter: (Alucard)

New franchises:
The Mysterious Mansamuse Castle: (Takamaru) (a big beige field) (a generic disposable ninja enemy)
Hotel Dusk: (Kyle Hyde) (the mute woman) (the hotel owner)
Frogger: (Frogger) (a truck) (a moving log)

Non-applicable, I guess : P
:ultduckhunt::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultrob::ultwiifittrainer:

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord
Alright if the 108 stages thing isn't a mistake then here's my guess for what we get:

1. Minecraft
2. New PokeFloats
3. Venus Lighthouse (if Isaac is in) or a new SF stage if he isn't (hoping for Air Force Base or Temple Hideout from SF2)
4. Forest Maze (if Geno is in) or Bowser's Castle if he isn't.
5. Whatever third party character they pick's stage.

Basically the OR part is if Box theory is true.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Well, yeah. Attack it while its tail is up, you're gonna have a bad time.
Moreso that a puzzle boss shouldn't be thrown at you without more buildup to give you an idea they can exist. The game could easily present the starting stuff way better so you have an idea of the mechanics and so you get an idea of what might work. Small tips are good. As bad as Zelda I is about this, it sometimes gives decent advice. As do others. And that's good. Then again, it gives pretty decent tips considering the bad translations. Enough to keep you going well without compromising the nature of the gameplay or hand-holding.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
If there are indeed 5 more stages, I'd assume there's a reason they haven't been revealed yet.
I doubt any of them are returning stages. I'd assume they're from unrevealed characters' series or something like that.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
If Black Shadow does get in, you just know someone's going to make an in-game recreation of THAT one scene.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
Today we got another image leak! It seems to be an image for Geno, one of the main party member of the SMRPG. It's sources has been currently claimed to be unknown though this image was found by a youtuber named WiiUGamer12. For me, the image looks rather professional. Here is the image and the youtube link:
Screenshot_20180916-014604_YouTube.jpg

Last edited:

KMDP

Smash Legend
I died easily to the boss. No, it wasn't that easy. Experimenting is a terrible way to start a game. Trial-and-error gameplay is a flaw in a game's design, nothing worth praising. It didn't make anything even engaging or teach you anything. It was a boring start, which sucks, because the full game is actually pretty good bar the badly designed beginning.

VIII did this correctly. It gave you easy areas to die in too. But it didn't put you in a bad spot from the start. I started with Dragon Quest 1 and even Zelda 1 for some of my first major games. They had very balanced starts by not forcing you to fight right away. There was buildup. You weren't in immediate danger of dying. And no, those enemies weren't hyper easy to the point you can't lose. They weren't challenging either. They were just boring balance-wise. It didn't teach you anything particularly useful. Games should bother to give you a soft start, and an optional tutorial for all rpg's. If you can't at least have a quick set of information on the mechanics, for new players, the start wasn't very good as is. It does not have to be forced either. But neither should being thrown into battle immediately with the risk of a game over. This isn't something like the original Maniac Mansion or similar games where dying was just a regular end screen and super common. It was based severely around trial and error to win. That makes sense. Final Fantasy is a proper rpg that has story. It can do better than trial and error gameplay.
Final Fantasy VII's beginning doesn't help that the first boss (the Scorpion Robot who's actual name I'm blanking on) has a glaring translation error (it tells you to attack while it's tail is up, when that's the opposite of what you should do).
Well, yeah. Attack it while its tail is up, you're gonna have a bad time.
:ultgreninja:'d by vaanrose.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
So much emotion expressed in those few seconds.
IT WILL NOT DIE!!!

And that's what made me want Black Shadow.
I'm more in it for what he does. He's completely responsible for all of the plot holes in the show.

zoda i made you and sent you to the past to kill-not-kill ryu so he can come to the future
what why
because i can
wouldnt it be easier to just let ryu die of nautral causes
yeah but i wanna kick his ass

I mean it gets even dumber to where Black Shadow is literally both head of the F-Zero Committee and the CEO of the Grand Prix industry itself.
It's just dumb and I love it

SonicMario

Smash Master
It seems weird CoroCoro would know there's 108 stages though I don't think it completely destroys all of the box theory yet and should indeed be talked about together rather then try to say one entirely discounts the other. At least not the "no echoes of numbered characters before Palutena" unless there's two different directs where only the October reveals would be on the special edition and the November reveals are purposefully left off as a surprise. The only one more unique/semi-clone newcomer might of just been an interpretation. And there's indeed at least a few more put on the bottom, top, or even the back

Watch the only October reveals indeed end up being just Ken and Incineroar and this place goes mad for weeks but then there's another thing in November where there's a final blowout like the 8/8 direct in the base roster.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Today we got another image leak! It seems to be an image for Geno, one of the main party of the SMRPG. It's sources has been currently claimed to be unknown though this image was found by a youtuber named WiiUGamer12. For me, the image looks rather professional. Here is the image and the youtube link:
View attachment 164605
Isn't this guy pretty notorious as the "I will report on literally anything and call it a leak" guy?

Chrono.

Today we got another image leak! It seems to be an image for Geno, one of the main party of the SMRPG. It's sources has been currently claimed to be unknown though this image was found by a youtuber named WiiUGamer12. For me, the image looks rather professional. Here is the image and the youtube link:
View attachment 164605
So it was found by him and nobody else?

That's a tiny bit suspect.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
Moreso that a puzzle boss shouldn't be thrown at you without more buildup to give you an idea they can exist. The game could easily present the starting stuff way better so you have an idea of the mechanics and so you get an idea of what might work. Small tips are good. As bad as Zelda I is about this, it sometimes gives decent advice. As do others. And that's good. Then again, it gives pretty decent tips considering the bad translations. Enough to keep you going well without compromising the nature of the gameplay or hand-holding.
Lol, the first boss in FFVII has a counterattack gimmick. It raises its tail, and if you attack when its tail is up, it does massive damage in response. So what happens is, the boss raises its tail, then a text box will appear that says "Attack it when its tail is up." So players will immediately attack it. But then the next text box appears that says "and it will counter-attack."

It's hilarious to me because it (unintentionally) causes so many first time players to get hit by the counter attack.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Today we got another image leak! It seems to be an image for Geno, one of the main party member of the SMRPG. It's sources has been currently claimed to be unknown though this image was found by a youtuber named WiiUGamer12. For me, the image looks rather professional. Here is the image and the youtube link:
View attachment 164605
That's a fake. I know the person that made that

They made it to troll WiiUGamer12

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I'm more in it for what he does. He's completely responsible for all of the plot holes in the show.

zoda i made you and sent you to the past to kill-not-kill ryu so he can come to the future
what why
because i can
wouldnt it be easier to just let ryu die of nautral causes
yeah but i wanna kick his ***

I mean it gets even dumber to where Black Shadow is literally both head of the F-Zero Committee and the CEO of the Grand Prix industry itself.
It's just dumb and I love it
He seems like such a genuinely bombastic, fun character. The kind we need in Smash.

Potato_

Smash Lord
It seems weird CoroCoro would know there's 108 stages though I don't think it completely destroys all of the box theory yet and should indeed be talked about together rather then try to say one entirely discounts the other. At least not the "no echoes of numbered characters before Palutena" unless there's two different directs where only the October reveals would be on the special edition and the November reveals are purposefully left off as a surprise. The only one more unique/semi-clone newcomer might of just been an interpretation. And there's indeed at least a few more put on the bottom, top, or even the back

Watch the only October reveals indeed end up being just Ken and Incineroar and this place goes mad for weeks but then there's another thing in November where there's a final blowout like the 8/8 direct in the base roster.
Well if a direct happens in October with just Ken and Incineroar and Sakurai doesn't say anything then we know there's something up, cause I HIGHLY doubt they would just drop all the characters without telling us that was all of them.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
But if that Black Shadow thing ends up being true, it will leave my boi being the only Smash 64 franchise to have ONE character. ALSO the only one with no items and/or assist trophies. ****!!!
By all means, feel free to give me a legitimate character suggestion of a recurring Yoshi character with proper moveset potential.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Lol, the first boss in FFVII has a counterattack gimmick. It raises its tail, and if you attack when its tail is up, it does massive damage in response. So what happens is, the boss raises its tail, then a text box will appear that says "Attack it when its tail is up." So players will immediately attack it. But then the next text box appears that says "and it will counter-attack."

It's hilarious to me because it (unintentionally) causes so many first time players to get hit by the counter attack.
Yeah, you got ninja'd by the explanation earlier.

So ironically Zelda 1's bad translations still are more accurate(just harder to interpret, but not giving wrong information necessarily).

Keep in mind I haven't played it in ten years, but yeah, welp.

Anyway, we do have a remake coming. Maybe they'll do a better translation job. I wonder if this got fixed in the PC port?

SonicMario

Smash Master
Well if a direct happens in October with just Ken and Incineroar and Sakurai doesn't say anything then we know there's something up, cause I HIGHLY doubt they would just drop all the characters without telling us that was all of them.
Yeah I do think Sakurai will say beforehand when the final character in the base game is being revealed just like before he revealed Bayonetta in the Final Smash 4 direct.

This place will still go crazy regardless but the knowledge of Sakurai not saying Ken and Incineroar being the final characters would at least now make it comforting enough that there's still hope for more after all.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Okay, I'm a bit slow on the uptake if this is 'true' who is getting more characters?

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
By all means, feel free to give me a legitimate character suggestion of a recurring Yoshi character with proper moveset potential.
If you discount my most wanted, Boshi, due to the complications of which series he reps, Kamek and Poochy. Both can have moveset potential if you get creative...

D

Deleted member

I mean, FF games aren't really known for explaining ****, FFVI starts the game with a gimmick that is only used two other times during the entire game(one of which is optional) and has a counter-attack boss as its first one too but it also can't be hit by lightning.

Union of Darkness

Smash Ace
View attachment 164605
Please don't give this guy attention. Everything he does is hyper clickbait.

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
View attachment 164605
GOD PLEASE BE REAL
Edit; Nevermind....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom