• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Oh, I hope that's not the case, then my boi will be single repped YET AGAIN!!!
Normally i would say that Yoshi franchise is ok with only one character.... but having less characters than ROB and Ice Climbers would be a little bad XD
(Where is my second wario ware rep? XD)
Still, reckless safety guy could be an interesting wii fit trainer echo :V

PlasmaDam

Smash Journeyman
I mean they made Dark pit an Echo Dixe will Probaly be a dark pit Situation Where even though they have plenty of moveset they will be an echo forever

lizard1929

Smash Journeyman
Box Theory: created by people (on the internet) looking into a box art image that is not final.
Coro stage: A magazine company publishes that 108 stages are in the game.

1 source is more reliable than the other just saying.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Hey, I want to be wrong. I'll have more to say later.

That said, I think we've developed a grudge of sorts...

Shall we jump in the trash together and forget the whole thing?
Don't take it in a bad way, I'm just having fun. :roll:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Box Theory: created by people (on the internet) looking into a box art image that is not final.
Coro stage: A magazine company publishes that 108 stages are in the game.

1 source is more reliable than the other just saying.
Yeah, but the thing is it isn't one of the other. BOTH could be true

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Different strokes. I personally found FF7's opening to be ideal BECAUSE it's engaging and throws you into the thick of things. You learn just by experimenting. No one I've ever spoken to has had this complaint before, they've mostly agreed that the action-packed start makes the game's age easier to circumvent and immerse you in the experience. If the difficulty was high in the opening, I'd agree with you, but you basically can't lose because the enemies suck, so learning is easy.

I actually think the game holds your hand TOO much and my only gripe with it is that I want it to be more difficult. And I'm not alone because numerous mods exist for just such a purpose.

But I won't judge your opinion needlessly, people are entitled to feel as they'd like :). Quest 64 was one of the worst games I ever played and I thought that game's design was the most asinine I'd ever seen, with the element system being lopsided and the grinding and battles being awful in execution, plus the bland as white bread story. But judging from your profile pic, you're a fan, and that's ok! Agree to disagree and such.

And yes FF8 has a terrible system. Broke an otherwise stellar game.
I died easily to the boss. No, it wasn't that easy. Experimenting is a terrible way to start a game. Trial-and-error gameplay is a flaw in a game's design, nothing worth praising. It didn't make anything even engaging or teach you anything. It was a boring start, which sucks, because the full game is actually pretty good bar the badly designed beginning.

VIII did this correctly. It gave you easy areas to die in too. But it didn't put you in a bad spot from the start. I started with Dragon Quest 1 and even Zelda 1 for some of my first major games. They had very balanced starts by not forcing you to fight right away. There was buildup. You weren't in immediate danger of dying. And no, those enemies weren't hyper easy to the point you can't lose. They weren't challenging either. They were just boring balance-wise. It didn't teach you anything particularly useful. Games should bother to give you a soft start, and an optional tutorial for all rpg's. If you can't at least have a quick set of information on the mechanics, for new players, the start wasn't very good as is. It does not have to be forced either. But neither should being thrown into battle immediately with the risk of a game over. This isn't something like the original Maniac Mansion or similar games where dying was just a regular end screen and super common. It was based severely around trial and error to win. That makes sense. Final Fantasy is a proper rpg that has story. It can do better than trial and error gameplay.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Ok question:

Who here wants Black Shadow because they genuinely like him as a character and not just a mere tool for Falcondorf?

I mean, I wanted Goroh but he’s already deconfirmed.

Last edited:

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Oh, I hope that's not the case, then my boi will be single repped YET AGAIN!!!
Yeah, I used to think that "Oh, maybe just all the nintendo games have _black_ variants... but Yoshi and Wario don't have any which wireds me out. I have no ideal why they would need these variants tbh. I did check and these are the files used for the "other characters from this series" thing...

So yeah, expect some wild stuff. I can't wait for Professor Hector to be in the game

Pakky

Smash Hero
Not to burst anyone's bubble, but wasn't this brought up a few weeks back?

And Wii-Fit, Ice Climbers, ROB and G&W also had this in their files?
So, Trademarks mean more than one character? or no?

Polan

Smash Lord
Guys I think one of my followers found something really interesting...

Guess what file actually exists?

https://www.smashbros.com/assets_v2/img/fighter/logo/f-zero_black_en.png

He's at least in boys
lol this was already brought up. i think there was a reddit thread explaining it as well.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Ok question:

Who here wants Black Shadow because they genuinely want him as a character and not just a mere tool for Falcondorf?
I'm right between. He could play well as the Ganondorf not currently playable in Smash. We have sworddorf now. But we don't have pure punchandkickdorf. I do like the character a bit, but Goroh is cooler.

Potato_

Smash Lord
Ok question:

Who here wants Black Shadow because they genuinely want him as a character and not just a mere tool for Falcondorf?
If they somehow manage to make a new F-Zero out of Black Shadow being in Smash then yes I want him in.

Bonus points if they get some of his cheesy voiceacting from GX.

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
How would you guys react or feel if Black Shadow turned out to be the secret fighter 70 rather then Geno or Dante?
I'd accept it, if and only if he played like Melee Ganondorf.
Black shadow is actually the #70 fighter... and he is a completely original fighter with a moveset inspired in ocarina of time ganondorf.... because they share a similar body build...

Astroworld

Smash Apprentice
Ok question:

Who here wants Black Shadow because they genuinely like him as a character and not just a mere tool for Falcondorf?
me. F Zero has a ton of cool characters and after all these years Falcon is the only OG character to not get another rep from his series

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Yeah, but the thing is it isn't one of the other. BOTH could be true
I definitely get what you mean by that, and hey, you're definitely not wrong.
However, I find it extremely unlikely that one of those stages don't come with a new character of some sort.
Especially since they haven't been shown off yet.

(Also, he's saying one holds more water and validity than the other)

Chrono.

I could've sworn that the Training Stage is only specific to Training Mode, given that's what Sakurai said.
Then again, it could be counted on the site and I just don't actually know.
It likely is, but given that you can probably select any stage for Training Mode, you'd still need it to fill a slot for the specific training stage.

And there's 6 spaces on the current CSS left so it lines up with this possible new info of 5 stages left.

5 new stages + the training mode stage.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I'd accept it, if and only if he played like Melee Ganondorf.
Or a semi-clone because I do have two ideas for his neutral b and down b.

Bull Charge: He charges at players like a bull. The longer you hold b, the more he continues to build up power and longer he charges into players achieving more damage in the process.

Slam Fist: Black Shadow slams his fist to the ground causing a slight tremor and players achieving any damage who are nearby.

LetterO

Smash Lord
If Black Shadow plays like Melee Ganon, then he could very well be a unique fighter. That means we'll get to see a really cool trailer where he hopefully faces off against Falcon

Imagine Captain Falcon racing with Mario, Kirby, Sonic etc. Then suddenly another car rams into them and out comes Black Shadow.

PlasmaDam

Smash Journeyman
Also Rex and Prya over Lora and Jin as much as i love Lora Jin Rex and prya the main protags of the game and deserve to be in over them

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Ok question:

Er, most people.

People don't want another Falcon clone. We want another F-Zero character. Period. Black Shadow is the most likely.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Ok question:

I want Deathborn because he's basically Darth Vader and Black Shadow's boss.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I honestly adore Falcondorf's playstyle and seeing him lose his Smash Attacks has had me clinging onto the hope for Black Shadow to bring back Falcondorf in his Melee state.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Ok question:

I watched the anime enough to know what he is.
I love me a fun villain.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Ok question:

Ganondorf should have gotten a totally new moveset and they should have given his old one to Black Shadow.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I said it before but if Black Shadow is Falcondorf Ganon fans who wanted a reworked move set are gonna be so pissed lmao

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I definitely get what you mean by that, and hey, you're definitely not wrong.
However, I find it extremely unlikely that one of those stages don't come with a new character of some sort.
Especially since they haven't been shown off yet.

(Also, he's saying one holds more water and validity than the other)
Well, yeah. But it's probably Incineroar

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So I believe this is actually a GOOD leak!?

So again, my predicted newcomer list now based two rumors I'm eyeing on(Protonmail and Vergeben) and my own guesses for echoes.

-Incineroar
-Lloyd Irving
-Heihachi
-Waddle Dee
-Geno

-Hilda
-Black Knight
-Black Shadow
-Funky Kong
-Shadow

Last edited:
Status