• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Doubt this changes your opinions but changed my prediction once more and for the last time now for DLC and what you guys would think of it.

Unique Fighters:
Bandana Dee
Banjo-Kazooie
Isaac
Karate Joe
Rex & Pyra
Spring Man

Echo Fighters:
Black Knight
Felix
Medusa
Octoling

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
That's less being neutral and just straight-up pessimism.
If I may.

One of the chief arguments against the box theory is that the person who made the box wouldn't know the full unannounced character count. But now we readily and easily accept that Corocoro knows the full unannounced stage count?

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
This guy should have considered his "proof" better, unless he just didn't hear about Vergeben.
He's piggybacking off Vergeban

Also doesn't help that Dante for Smash is a common /v/ meme that's been going on before any supposed leak

Shroob

Sup?
And we're back to the Dante theory.
Reminder that numerous people, including some in this very thread, predicted Isabelle would be the next newcomer. In this Direct.
If it wasn't the Dante theory, it'd be Vergeben.

The speculation scene has to have a centerpoint to focus on, or else there's no speculation scene at all.

Potato_

Smash Lord
And we're back to the Dante theory.
Reminder that numerous people, including some in this very thread, predicted Isabelle would be the next newcomer. In this Direct.
This.

Honestly the second Dante guy seems to me like he's piggybacking off of the more legit DMC V leaker and just got lucky with the Isabelle guess.

Although that might just be my Skull Kid bias talking.

Shroob

Sup?
???

Verg isn't wrong if Dante leaker is right. The two coexist right now. Unless I'm getting something wrong...

Then please point me to those posts. Posts that specify that Isabelle is
  • A unique character
  • Will have her own reveal trailer
  • And will be the ONLY character revealed in the Direct.
No, you can't point to GameXplain.
Psycho is saying that Danteleaker is denying the existence of a 2nd Square rep, which I don't think he is at all personally.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Psycho is saying that Danteleaker is denying the existence of a 2nd Square rep, which I don't think he is at all personally.
I didn't say he did.

But he made no implication there even was a Square rep

He didn't say "There is a Square rep but it's not Geno"

He said "Geno's not in"

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord
???

Verg isn't wrong if Dante leaker is right. The two coexist right now. Unless I'm getting something wrong...

Then please point me to those posts. Posts that specify that Isabelle is
  • A unique character
  • Will have her own reveal trailer
  • And will be the ONLY character revealed in the Direct.
No, you can't point to GameXplain.

To be fair, that second point is basically the first, as all unique characters get their own trailer.

But yeah I get your point.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
If I may.

One of the chief arguments against the box theory is that the person who made the box wouldn't know the full unannounced character count. But now we readily and easily accept that Corocoro knows the full unannounced stage count?
I'm against using the box to believe anything in general, but I'll ride that horse.

Assuming this is a journalist report, they'd easily know more about this type of stuff then the artist(s) designing the box with what they're given.

Noipoi

Howdy!
LET'S GIVE IT EVERYTHING WE'VE GOT!
IIIIT'S PREDICTION TIIIME!
Noikuma.png

Forest Maze.
I could see Geno not getting a stage, but if he did it'd be the forest maze. It's like his thing.
I'd prefer star hill but whatever.

Venus Lighthouse.
If Isaac gets in he'd have to have a stage. I mean he doesn't have to but come on. He'll have a stage.

Ultra Space.
Incineroar (or whoever) doesn't need a stage, but Ultra Space would be an awesome addition to the Pokemon stage line-up.
I could see it as a traveling stage through the various ultra wormholes. Perhaps different ultra beasts could be stage hazards.

Rhythm Heaven.
It's simple. Rhythm Heaven fighter, Rhythm Heaven stage. Maybe you could fight in Rhythm Heaven style mini games, like Warioware inc.

Spiral Mountain.
Once again it's simple. If Banjo and Kazooie get in, Banjo and Kazooie get a stage.

Minecraft stage.
If verg is right, Minecraft might get a stage. It could be interesting.

Maybe Xenoblade X could get a stage, but they might just dump Elma on Guar Plains if she gets in.

And yes, I did come up with some predictions just so i could post Noipoikuma

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
He should've also been is PSBAS.

You see, I never viewed Smash as purely Nintendo history. At any time. But I also never thought it was a big deal to begin with. I mean, literally the character I wanted most was Diablos from FFVIII. It's just a part of it. I viewed it as gaming history for ages to come. Coincidentally, that was also Sakurai's bigger focus to begin with. He didn't add Nintendo characters to make it Nintendo-centric, it was just the only way to make the series sell. He was ready to say yes to Snake and Sonic in Melee, with development time making it impossible. He jumped at the chance to make them work for Brawl, too.

That said, we know that Sakurai doesn't care about it, and there's a pretty good chance he never designed the series to be all about "Nintendo history", but that we can't say for sure. Thought his wording right now "I want to make this the best character game in the world." Part of why stuff like Goku doesn't bother me. It's clear having a recognizable and awesome cast is a bit more important than people like to think it is. It's no coincidence they're a system seller, it's literally the reason the series exists(coincidentally, if it weren't for Mario, the series is unlikely to have done as well. Though that's just a nod to the old joke of how Smash wouldn't exist without Mario on some earlier page. They're right, though).

You don't drop a person right into the battle areas with zero time to understand the game mechanics. You put them in an easier spot to get the feel of the game. It was a bad decision and poor game design. It's not about tutorials. It's about putting you in a good spot to help introduce you into the game without pressuring you into a "do well enough or die" situation. It's very easy to lose interest if you never played an rpg before. I thankfully have, but the game quickly lost my interest when it wasn't actually fun. It had no buildup, it was just immediate battle area. I've spoken to this among other people, and it's an issue that isn't very vocal, but very much exists. FFVII has a way better startup, though that game has a very confusing equipment system too. But hey, nothing's perfect.
Different strokes. I personally found FF7's opening to be ideal BECAUSE it's engaging and throws you into the thick of things. You learn just by experimenting. No one I've ever spoken to has had this complaint before, they've mostly agreed that the action-packed start makes the game's age easier to circumvent and immerse you in the experience. If the difficulty was high in the opening, I'd agree with you, but you basically can't lose because the enemies suck, so learning is easy.

I actually think the game holds your hand TOO much and my only gripe with it is that I want it to be more difficult. And I'm not alone because numerous mods exist for just such a purpose.

But I won't judge your opinion needlessly, people are entitled to feel as they'd like :). Quest 64 was one of the worst games I ever played and I thought that game's design was the most asinine I'd ever seen, with the element system being lopsided and the grinding and battles being awful in execution, plus the bland as white bread story. But judging from your profile pic, you're a fan, and that's ok! Agree to disagree and such.

And yes FF8 has a terrible system. Broke an otherwise stellar game.

Last edited:

Exalt4747

Smash Journeyman
Well, I'm off to bed, curious as to if any developments happen in the next several hours...

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I do definitely believe we'll for sure be getting a Minecraft stage since VergeBen said there'd be representation. Perhaps an assist trophy too whether Steve or Creeper. Maybe even both.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
LET'S GIVE IT EVERYTHING WE'VE GOT!
IIIIT'S PREDICTION TIIIME!
View attachment 164592

Forest Maze.
I could see Geno not getting a stage, but if he did it'd be the forest maze. It's like his thing.
I'd prefer star hill but whatever.

Venus Lighthouse.
If Isaac gets in he'd have to have a stage. I mean he doesn't have to but come on. He'll have a stage.

Ultra Space.
Incineroar (or whoever) doesn't need a stage, but Ultra Space would be an awesome addition to the Pokemon stage line-up.
I could see it as a traveling stage through the various ultra wormholes. Perhaps different ultra beasts could be stage hazards.

Rhythm Heaven.
It's simple. Rhythm Heaven fighter, Rhythm Heaven stage. Maybe you could fight in Rhythm Heaven style mini games, like Warioware inc.

Spiral Mountain.
Once again it's simple. If Banjo and Kazooie get in, Banjo and Kazooie get a stage.

Minecraft stage.
If verg is right, Minecraft might get a stage. It could be interesting.

Maybe Xenoblade X could get a stage, but they might just dump Elma on Guar Plains if she gets in.

And yes, I did come up with some predictions just so i could post Noipoikuma
Danganronpa, except it's the Smash Ultimate Discussion thread

Shroob

Sup?
Though, I do agree heartily with Vaanrose on this point.

We're assuming that CoroCoro staff knows 108 stages when the rest of the world is only privy to 103.

But we don't want to assume people that designed the box and put the characters in a certain pattern know the roster number.

One is a speculation of more, which means more, unknown stuff.

While the other is a speculation of less, which means less unknown stuff.

Sounds like people just like to aim high and not think worst case scenario.

Mc.Rad

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0842-4814-1315
Guys I think one of my followers found something really interesting...

Guess what file actually exists?

https://www.smashbros.com/assets_v2/img/fighter/logo/f-zero_black_en.png

He's at least in boys

StormC

Smash Hero
One is stating "here's what is in the game."

Another is a vague graphic that can only be discerned to mean something through guessing and estimating.

It's not comparable.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Not gonna lie, the whole "Minecraft content" tidbit has always confused me.
If they managed to strike a deal with freakin' Microsoft...why would they throw in some MC content, but not a playable character, including Banjo?

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
Is Dixie popular?
Fairly popular, both in DKC and in Smash requests. She was brought back for the new DKC title, after all, and her debut game is one of the most popular in the series. In Smash, she's probably in the top 30 of requests, probably higher.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Guys I think one of my followers found something really interesting...

Guess what file actually exists?

https://www.smashbros.com/assets_v2/img/fighter/logo/f-zero_black_en.png

He's at least in boys
Holy ************** **** Black Shadow!?

YYYYEEEESSSS LET THIS PLEASE BE TRUE!!!!!

Last edited:

Chrono.

5 stages?
  • Training Mode
  • Medium Battlefield
  • PokeFloats but it's just Buzzwole
  • Fire Emblem Fates Continent
  • The Graveyard of Miiverse
In all seriousness I think the Training Stage could be counted here.

StormC

Smash Hero
Not gonna lie, the whole "Minecraft content" tidbit has always confused me.
If they managed to strike a deal with freakin' Microsoft...why would they throw in some MC content, but not a playable character, including Banjo?
How do we know Banjo isn't in the game?

I'd bet top dollar if Banjo is in, he's top secret, much like K. Rool was.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I'll wait and see about the 108 stage count thing, I'll believe it for the moment, since it's in some physical form. The box thing seems a bit more like a placeholder. Though I wouldn't be surprised if we are only getting 1 or 2 characters after this, because we're supposed to have less than we normally get, on account many older characters were brought back, on top of everyone from Smash 4.

Also, does anyone know if any new sick costumes were show in the CoroCoro issue or not? I want to see more of Simon's alts.

Is Dixie popular?
Yeah. Not K.Rool/Ridley popular, but pretty popular.

Last edited:

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
You guys want a game? I'll have you something to do: the Equalitarian Smash Roster. All currently represented franchises MUST have 3 and ONLY characters(when applicable), be them Unique or Echoes.
If a franchise has more than 3, you can only cut until it goes down to 3, if there are less, you need to fill those spots with newcomers.
Additionally, you may add up to three franchises, and all must come with 3 characters.
For example:
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultbowser:
:ultyoshi:(Kamek)(Poochy)
:ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf:
:ultfalcon:(e Black Shadow)(Samurai Goroh)
:ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultridley:
:ultpikachu::ultgreninja::ultpokemontrainer:(gotta love loopholes)
:ultmarth::ultike::ultrobin
:ultness::ultlucas:(Porky)
:ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede:
:ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf:
:ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultpalutena:
:ultvillager:(Isabelle)(Tom Nook)
:ultshulk:(Elma)(Rex & Pyra)
:ultinkling:(e Octoling)(Squid Sisters)
:ultlittlemac:(King Hippo)(Doc Louis)
:ultolimar:(e Alph)(Plasm Wraith)
:ultsonic:(e Shadow)(Tails)
:ultsnake:(Raiden)(Revolver Ocelot)
:ultmegaman:(e Proto Man)(Zero)
:ultpacman:(e Ms.Pac-Man)(The Ghosts)
:ultryu:(e Ken)(Chun-Li)
:ultcloud:(TerraCeles)(Warrior of Light)
:ultbayonetta:(e Jeanne)(I'm sure there's more but I never played Bayonetta so god help me I'm scared)
:ultsimon::ultrichter:(Alucard)

New franchises:
The Wonderful 101: (Wonder-Red)(e Prince Vorkken)(Wonder-Blue)
Etrian Odyssey: (Protector)(Highlander)(Fafnire)
Chrono Trigger: (Crono)(Marle)(Lucca)

Non-applicable
:ultduckhunt::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultrob::ultwiifittrainer:

hopefully I didn't forget anyone
This sort of communist smash is actually something I'd enjoy seeing

:ultmario::ultbowser::ultpeach:
:ultyoshi: (Baby Bowser) (Poochy)
:ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf:
:ultfalcon: (Samurai Goroh) (Black Shadow)
:ultsamus::ultzss::ultridley:
:ultpikachu::ultpokemontrainer::ultmewtwo:
:ultmarth::ultrobin(Lyn)
:ultness::ultlucas:(Porky)
:ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede:
:ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf:
:ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultpalutena:
:ultvillager: (Isabelle) (Tom Nook)
:ultwario: (Ashley) (Captain Syrup)
:ultgnw::ulticeclimbers::ultduckhunt: <-- Under Retro characters
:ultwiifittrainer::ultmiifighters:(Nicky) <-- Under QoL/Social
:ultshulk: (Elma) (Tora & Poppi)
:ultinkling: (Octoling) (DJ Octavio)
:ultlittlemac: (King Hippo) (Doc Loius)
:ultolimar: (Louie) (Alph/Brittany/Charlie)
:ultsonic: (Tails) (Robotnik)
:ultsnake: (Raiden) (FemSnake)
:ultmegaman: (Zero) (Dr. Wily)
:ultpacman: (Ms. Pac-man) (Pooka)
:ultryu: (M. Bison) (Chun-Li)
:ultcloud:(Vivi/Black Mage) (Kefka)
:ultbayonetta: (Rodin) (Jeanne)
:ultsimon: (Alucard) (Sypha)

From Arms:
(Spring Man) (Min Min) (Dr. Coyle)

From Banjo Kazooie:
(Banjo Kazooie) (Mumbo) (Gruntilda)

From Rhythm Heaven:
(Karate Joe) (Rhythm Girl) (Wrestler and Reporter)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom