• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
And this is why spirited discussions here are great. You and I have vastly different opinions on the same character for, really, the same reasons? I agree with everything you said-- and yet, in my mind, it makes him less suitable for a celebration of Nintendo's history. It's like how world history and a country's history aren't always celebrated at the same time.

In my opinion, he should've been in Playstation All-Stars, not Smash. (Really, so should Snake, but you can fudge him into Smash with the GCN exclusive and NES games.) And Smash's FF representative, should there be one, would be better off drawing from the SNES classics. But he has tons of fans in the Smash community, so good for them. I can hold my opinion without trying to convince them their character doesn't "deserve" to be in.
He should've also been is PSBAS.

You see, I never viewed Smash as purely Nintendo history. At any time. But I also never thought it was a big deal to begin with. I mean, literally the character I wanted most was Diablos from FFVIII. It's just a part of it. I viewed it as gaming history for ages to come. Coincidentally, that was also Sakurai's bigger focus to begin with. He didn't add Nintendo characters to make it Nintendo-centric, it was just the only way to make the series sell. He was ready to say yes to Snake and Sonic in Melee, with development time making it impossible. He jumped at the chance to make them work for Brawl, too.

That said, we know that Sakurai doesn't care about it, and there's a pretty good chance he never designed the series to be all about "Nintendo history", but that we can't say for sure. Thought his wording right now "I want to make this the best character game in the world." Part of why stuff like Goku doesn't bother me. It's clear having a recognizable and awesome cast is a bit more important than people like to think it is. It's no coincidence they're a system seller, it's literally the reason the series exists(coincidentally, if it weren't for Mario, the series is unlikely to have done as well. Though that's just a nod to the old joke of how Smash wouldn't exist without Mario on some earlier page. They're right, though).

To be fair, you don't need a tutorial in early FF7. Nearly every normal enemy dies in 1-2 hits and deals single digit damage for the first couple hours lol. By the time the game has any real challenge, you've gone through all the tutorials.
You don't drop a person right into the battle areas with zero time to understand the game mechanics. You put them in an easier spot to get the feel of the game. It was a bad decision and poor game design. It's not about tutorials. It's about putting you in a good spot to help introduce you into the game without pressuring you into a "do well enough or die" situation. It's very easy to lose interest if you never played an rpg before. I thankfully have, but the game quickly lost my interest when it wasn't actually fun. It had no buildup, it was just immediate battle area. I've spoken to this among other people, and it's an issue that isn't very vocal, but very much exists. FFVII has a way better startup, though that game has a very confusing equipment system too. But hey, nothing's perfect.

LetterO

Smash Lord
By the way, CoroCoro has made mistakes and so some of the Japanese are being cautious (like, the 3 could have been mistaken for an 8). It looks like a normal CoroCoro page, though. Mainly because of that FamiSta stuff on the other page.
Excuse me, but how do you mistake a 3 for an 8?

D

Deleted member

Why does CoroCoro usually know about new Pokemon ahead of literally anyone else though? There isn't always a reason.
But that's exclusive info they are given and are supposed to reveal themselves. It just seems odd to me 108 stages is literally the only thing that's not directly from the Smash Direct, esoecially when it's clear they are not supposed to reveal that.

The fact 108 fits perfectly in the current SSS is a strong point in its favor but still, I'm gonna keep my expectations in check.

I'll wait on Push updates, if it's a misprint, it likely refers to 103 in other sections. If not... well then...

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
If we're getting 108 stages, there's no room for it unless the're no DLC button.

They could expand to another row, of course, and not do the 2nd tab for DLC.
Training stage would just be in training mode anyways.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I mentioned the 2nd SE stage being one of the five.

HOWEVER, Dante theory says Geno is NOT in and it's another SE rep.

We can't confirm or deny it until November, frustratingly enough.
I'm not going to believe a random post on /v/ that had a 1/3 shot of guessing the newcomer based on Verg's picks and just replacing the Square rep with Dante.

There were probably a MILLION posts about incineroar being the one revealed, and there were probably tons of other posts saying Isabelle was going to be revealed.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
I’m just soo happy we won’t be hearing any more “only 103” stages anymore. That was sooo annoying and lacked reasoning.

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I'm gonna say it's a misprint cause Corocoro have been known to screw up before.

...Well, magazines in general do.
It frustrates me that this was more or less my first thought, that I can't even trust that the info's not just wrong. I'd be curious to see if the issue has any other new info in it, because it would be weird to me if they only knew one new thing. If there's anything else that's completely new, then I'd say it's trustworthy.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Wait why does this specifically line up with the Dante theory?
That's what I'd like to know. Mostly because I wanna know if I should actually have hope for Dante.

DaybreakHorizon

Beauty in the Chaos
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
The fact that this lines up with Dante theory is kinda gut wrenching.

You all know it in your heart of hearts to be true:

Dante will be in Smash Brothers.

Also I'm telling you all our second Square Enix rep if we get one is going to be Erdrick or Hero from Dragon Quest 11. Dragon Quest is the highest selling Japanese series not represented in Smash, Nintendo has published multiple games in the series personally, and it's more popular in the west than Metroid is in the east.

Our last stages will likely be:
  • Golden Sun/Rhythm Heaven
  • Battle Royale Stage/Mt. Kunikala/Alola Pokemon League
  • Minecraft
  • Dragon Quest
  • Devil May Cry
If this is true, holy **** that'd be hype.

Imagine if we get Dante, Erdrick, and Banjo in the final Smash Direct alongside Shadow and Ken as echoes?

That'd be so ****ing hype.

Last edited:

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Well as soon as things were getting good, it's time to turn in for the night.

Happy Speculating and Good Morning, Good Evening and Good Night.

KMDP

Smash Legend
108 stages, very very interesting. I wonder what they'll be.

108... Guys I've got it, Suikoden confirmed! (108 Stars)
The number 108 is a common thing in Buddhist Mythology (also Hinduism, but Buddhism is more relevant to Japan).

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Aight Shish, I see your game.

Mario: :ultmario::ultluigi::ultbowser:
Yoshi: :ultyoshi:/Kamek/Poochy
Zelda: :ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf:
F-Zero: :ultfalcon:/Black Shadow/Samurai Goroh
Metroid: :ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultridley:
Pokemon: :ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultpokemontrainer:
MOTHER: :ultness::ultlucas:/Porky
Star Fox: :ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf:
Kid Icarus: :ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultpalutena:
Animal Crossing: :ultvillager:/Isabelle/K.K. Slider
Xenoblade: :ultshulk:/Elma/Lora & Jin
Splatoon: :ultinkling:/Octoling/Sisters
Punch-Out!!: :ultlittlemac:/Glass Joe/King Hippo
Pikmin::ultolimar:/Louie/Alph
Fire Emblem: :ultmarth::ultrobin:ultike:
Sonic: :ultsonic:/Tails/Eggman or Shadow (can't choose but leaning Shadow)
Metal Gear::ultsnake: /Raiden/Liquid
Mega Man: :ultmegaman:/Zero/Bass.exe
PAC-MAN::ultpacman:/Ms Pac Man/ ????? The ghosts I guess
Street Fighter: :ultryu:/Ken/Chun-li
Final Fantasy::ultcloud:/Black Mage/Noctis
Bayonetta: :ultbayonetta:/Jeanne/Rodin
Castlevania: :ultsimon:/Alucard/Soma Cruz

New franchises:
King of Fighters: Kyo Kusanagi/Iori Yagami/Terry Bogard
Tales of: Lloyd Irving/Yuri Lowell/Dhaos
Shin Megami Tensei: Nanashi/Joker/Jack Bros
My Turn

Mario: :ultmario::ultluigi::ultbowser:(R.I.P Peach and Rosa though)
Zelda: :ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf:(Zelda and Ganon can stay the same but Link is now TP Link)
Metroid: :ultsamus::ultdarksamus:(Semi-Clone/Wolf Style character):ultridley:
Star Fox: :ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf:(EZ)
Pokemon: :ultpikachu::ultmewtwo::ultgreninja:
Kirby: :ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede:(EZ)
Wario: :ultwario:(Captain Syrup) (Mona?)
DK: :ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:(EZ)
Kid Icarus: :ultpit::ultdarkpit:(See Dark Samus):ultpalutena:
Animal Crossing: :ultvillager: :ultisabelle:, Tom Nook
Pikmin: :ultolimar:, Alph, Louie
F-Zero: :ultfalcon:, Black Shadow, Samurai Goroh
Punch-Out!!: :ultlittlemac:, Doc Louis, King Hippo
FE: :ultike::ultmarth::ultrobin(EZ)
Xenoblade: :ultshulk:, Fiora, Elma
Earthbound: :ultness::ultlucas:, Ninten
Yoshi: :ultyoshi:, Poochy, **** it....Raphael the Raven
Splatoon: :ultinkling:, Octoling, DJ Octavio
Mega Man: :ultmegaman:, Mega Man X, Zero(MMZ style) (EZ, though I had to resist adding Mega Man EXE instead of Zero)
Street Fighter: :ultryu:, Chun-Li, Akuma
Sonic: :ultsonic:, Tails, Knuckles (EZ)
Bayonetta: :ultbayonetta:, Jeanne, Rodin
Metal Gear: :ultsnake:, Raiden, Gray Fox
Castlevania: :ultsimon::ultrichter:, Alucard
Pac-Man: :ultpacman:, Ms. Pac Man, The ghosts, working as a team
Final Fantasy: :ultcloud:, Terra, Black Mage
Wii Fit: Male, Female, A ****ing Balance Board

New franchises
ARMS: Spring Man, Dr. Coyle, Barq and Byte
Tekken: Heihachi, Jin(Semi-Clone) Nina
Fatal Fury: Terry, Mai, Geese
Golden Sun: Issac, Mia, Ivan
Final Fight: Mike Haggar, Cody, Guy(EZ)

8/10 game, made me actually think.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I forget, what's the Dante Theory?
The Dante theory is basically just Verg's characters except replace the Square Enix rep with Dante.

It had Isabelle, Ken, Incineroar, and Dante

The reason it's believed is because the person said "As proof Isabelle will be revealed in the direct"

D

Deleted member

You guys really need to keep your expectations in check, there's really no harm in being skeptic about this, I'm getting tired of these "lol stop being such a pessimist" posts when it's this exact thought process that prevents disappointment.
But it would still have to be selectable somehow in training mode, right?
Is it possible it would either be a different selection for it or replace the random button though?

Shroob

Sup?
The Dante theory is basically just Verg's characters except replace the Square Enix rep with Dante.

It had Isabelle, Ken, Incineroar, and Dante

The reason it's believed is because the person said "As proof Isabelle will be revealed in the direct"
*Replace

No, Dante is Capcom, not SE.

He said the SE rep WOULDN'T be Geno.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
*Replace

No, Dante is Capcom, not SE.

He didn't say there would be a Square Rep at all

Nothing in the post indicates there will be a Square rep

Last edited:

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
Well **** me, that's a bummer. Something tells me it ain't gonna be something else I care about either, like Terra Branford or Lara Croft or hell even Gex
Though Geno for DLC would be hype as hell

Exalt4747

Smash Journeyman
This guy should have considered his "proof" better, unless he just didn't hear about Vergeben.

Hydrualic Hydra

Smash Ace
I try to bid fond farewells and this crazy **** happens

I won't get my hopes up until we have all the information from CoroCoro (whether it's consistently 108 for the whole article, whether they have any other new information, whether there's some kind of statement on it), but I will be lurking in the shadows for clarification.

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
Don't forget that there's two Dante leaks. One with actual chances via DMCV leaks and one that just claims it with what is probably a lucky guess.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
And we're back to the Dante theory.
Reminder that numerous people, including some in this very thread, predicted Isabelle would be the next newcomer. In this Direct.

DaybreakHorizon

Beauty in the Chaos
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Fair enough, but if Dante leaker is right, then Verg is wrong, so consider that.
???

Verg isn't wrong if Dante leaker is right. The two coexist right now. Unless I'm getting something wrong...
And we're back to the Dante theory.
Reminder that numerous people, including some in this very thread, predicted Isabelle would be the next newcomer. In this Direct.
Then please point me to those posts. Posts that specify that Isabelle is
  • A unique character
  • Will have her own reveal trailer
  • And will be the ONLY character revealed in the Direct.
No, you can't point to GameXplain.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom