• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Here are my predictions for remaining non-DLC newcomers.

38ᵋ Shadow
60ᵋ Ken
69 Incineroar
70 Skull Kid
71 Geno

While I'm not so confident in the order of Incineroar and Skull Kid, I'm very confident Geno will be the final reveal.
Note that I'm totally fine with being wrong.
Would be very happy with that roster and I agree with it except I don't think Skull Kid will make it in for whatever reason. I hope I'm wrong.

D

Deleted member

Wait what Box Theory is dead already?

What.

What did I miss? LOL, I was NOT expecting something to end it this early.

DaybreakHorizon

Beauty in the Chaos
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Interesting-ish thing about the Corocoro "leak," it's posted here to a Japanese forum, where it was posted at 3:04 JST. That's yesterday for us Westerners, unless I'm interpreting it incorrectly.

Lends a bit more of credence to it than it being posted by a provisional GameFAQs account 30-ish minutes ago.

Exalt4747

Smash Journeyman
108 stages meant possible newcomers can be added to Smash with their own respected stages
I'm a little confused...this is an assumption, on top of something people on gamefaqs say corocoro says, yes?

EDIT: Okay, it ACTUALLY says 108. But it still seems a reach.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Untitled (1).png

I mean, I was the person who made this image to prove that "5 more stages is completely possible"

I'm just not one to get my hopes up.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Let me tell you a fun story about Cloud and FFVII for me.

I tried to play FFVII. I was thrown into a battle with no options for a tutorial. I vastly disliked it. I also only knew mostly about the emo Cloud thing, and never really liked the character. I did like Sephiroth and Aerith quite a bit, but mostly due to their designs.

That means I should by all rights hate his inclusion in Smash, right?

No. I loved it. I felt he deserved it for what he brought to the rpg genre. I felt he was the perfect FF representative, as he was not just the most iconic, but most popular, and VII had the most impact at the time. FF1 was great, but DQ1 had a bigger impact by introducing the NES to full out rpg's. FF1 definitely improved on it, but in a different way. It didn't introduce much differences beyond party members at the time. The bigger change up was II with the new battle system, then it was gauge otherwise. The limits is the big new change VII brought to the table, while also creating the divide between Square and Nintendo. It had a huge impact with the game's release and what it helped inspire for ages to come. Of course, each FF did an amazing thing too, but I'd argue it has the most influence.
And this is why spirited discussions here are great. You and I have vastly different opinions on the same character for, really, the same reasons? I agree with everything you said-- and yet, in my mind, it makes him less suitable for a celebration of Nintendo's history. It's like how world history and a country's history aren't always celebrated at the same time.

In my opinion, he should've been in Playstation All-Stars, not Smash. (Really, so should Snake, but you can fudge him into Smash with the GCN exclusive and NES games.) And Smash's FF representative, should there be one, would be better off drawing from the SNES classics. But he has tons of fans in the Smash community, so good for them. I can hold my opinion without trying to convince them their character doesn't "deserve" to be in.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Something doesn't add up.

Corocoro releases on the 15th of every month, or earlier if the 15th is on a weekend.

The 15th was yesterday in Japan...

So how is this a leak of it and not just the street print?

Q-Long

Smash Lord
With Snake and Simon in the game, I think it's only appropriate there is a Contra assist trophy.

Also I would love to see the Metal Slug appear as an assist trophy.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
According to Gamefaqs, Corocoro says there will be 108 stages total.

https://imgur.com/a/Y24VaBn
This just got interesting.

So we have more stages? And possibly a DLC button which fills up the remaining six slots. In any case, I think A) We may have a new franchise and third party not yet revealed, and B) Some franchises may get a new stage.

In any case I’m predicting:

1. Xenoblade X Stage
2. Altar of Sunne/Moone (S/M Stage)
3. Golden Sun Stage
4. Rhythm Heaven Stage
5. Third Party Stage (Going for Tales of)

I’m confident about the first three, less so on the last since the third party could be for anyone and even Geno, and we may not even get a Rhythm Heaven Character.

Kinda wished we got more, but hopefully DLC can give more stages that aren’t related to newcomers, like Gangplank Galleon, and Bowser’s Castle.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
I'm a little confused...this is an assumption, on top of something people on gamefaqs say corocoro says, yes?

EDIT: Okay, it ACTUALLY says 108. But it still seems a reach.
An optimistic hope I assume. Corocoro are known to leak new Pokemons and they are rather accurate..although it could be a typo..

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Has anyone ever checked if Kamiya and Sakurai are Kojima-levels of besties?
Kamiya and Sakurai's releationship doesn't matter in relation to Dante from the Devil May Cry Series.

You're going to be looking for Itsuno instead.

PlasmaDam

Smash Journeyman
Maybe The box theory is a mistake people are Over thinking things like with The chairs during the smash direct and everyone thought Skull kid would be in

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Something doesn't add up.

Corocoro releases on the 15th of every month, or earlier if the 15th is on a weekend.

The 15th was yesterday in Japan...

So how is this a leak of it and not just the street print?
Perhaps it was delayed a day or two due to the two natural disasters this month?

Just an idea. I have no idea.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Let me tell you a fun story about Cloud and FFVII for me.

I tried to play FFVII. I was thrown into a battle with no options for a tutorial. I vastly disliked it. I also only knew mostly about the emo Cloud thing, and never really liked the character. I did like Sephiroth and Aerith quite a bit, but mostly due to their designs.

That means I should by all rights hate his inclusion in Smash, right?

No. I loved it. I felt he deserved it for what he brought to the rpg genre. I felt he was the perfect FF representative, as he was not just the most iconic, but most popular, and VII had the most impact at the time. FF1 was great, but DQ1 had a bigger impact by introducing the NES to full out rpg's. FF1 definitely improved on it, but in a different way. It didn't introduce much differences beyond party members at the time. The bigger change up was II with the new battle system, then it was gauge otherwise. The limits is the big new change VII brought to the table, while also creating the divide between Square and Nintendo. It had a huge impact with the game's release and what it helped inspire for ages to come. Of course, each FF did an amazing thing too, but I'd argue it has the most influence.
To be fair, you don't need a tutorial in early FF7. Nearly every normal enemy dies in 1-2 hits and deals single digit damage for the first couple hours lol. By the time the game has any real challenge, you've gone through all the tutorials.

Last edited:

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
I don't know if the 108 stage thing is true, but if it is, I'm shilling for Phendrana Drifts again. I don't care how long it's been let's gooooo. Not to metion, IF Isaac makes it, he could have a stage of his own. Also Bowser's Castle and/or That final Area from DKC2 I guess.

Nomura's interpretation of Cloud makes me emo. I miss Real Cloud.
Yeah. His version of Cloud acts fairly different from the OG version, and it's worse that it became the de-facto version that people are familiar with.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Even if there is more stages, it could just be for existing franchises.

Like we just got a new Bowser theme and a new Mario 3 castle theme. We could very well get a Bowser's Castle level

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Nomura's interpretation of Cloud makes me emo. I miss Real Cloud.
There's a joke/reference here about the "real" Cloud from FF7's plot.

Also, to stay on-topic, yeah, emo Cloud is not the original PS1 FF7 character. I have no idea why emo Cloud became the norm. That horrible Advent Children? Kingdom Hearts??

vaanrose

Let's Mosey
NNID
vaanrose
3DS FC
1762-2697-1591
Switch FC
SW-4679-3965-5961
I too, miss Zack Fair.
There are Three Clouds in FFVII.

False Memory Zack Fair Cloud, Emo I-Can't-Believe-My-Memories-Aren't-My-Own Cloud, and Got Over It and Says "Let's Mosey" before Going to Save the World Cloud.

That third Cloud is my favorite, lol.

Q-Long

Smash Lord
It's been a long while since f zero or star fox received a new stage. Maybe one of them will.

Also a non lava / darkness metroid stage maybe

Course, I think atleast 4 out of 5 of these stages are tied to newcomers

Shroob

Sup?
I still feel like an Alola Stage is just going to happen.

Both Zelda and Mario got one, I can't imagine Nintendo's golden goose not getting one as well, especially since 'Vergeben'.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Also wanting to call Swamp Sensei Swamp Sensei if the box theory is dead.

here's a friendly
:127:get ****in rekt bruv:214:
no harm no foul tho

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
But people on the internet told me the box theory was legitimate and I should stop getting my hopes up!

I don't actually know if I buy into this fully, but it's clear how easily people here are swayed, lol. Just last night it was all doomsday over a boxart.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Did everyone around Cloud know that he wasn't Zack and just not tell him or something?

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
There are Three Clouds in FFVII.

False Memory Zack Fair Cloud, Emo I-Can't-Believe-My-Memories-Aren't-My-Own Cloud, and Got Over It and Says "Let's Mosey" before Going to Save the World Cloud.

That third Cloud is my favorite, lol.
LMAO! I literally read your last post ("I miss real Cloud") and was about to post "Yeah, Let's Mosey Cloud." Dammit you beat me to it.

Noipoi

Howdy!
So five stages, I can't see them being places like "Chemical Plant Zone" or "Bowser's Bathroom".
I think each stage will relate to a new character, characters like Incineroar and Geno could be put on one of the many Pokemon and Mario stages.
Perhaps a Xenoblade stage for Elma, or a Golden sun stage for Isaac, or a Rhythm Heaven stage, or Spiral Mountain.
Then again we could get an Alola stage and Forest Maze, which I wouldn't object to.

Last edited:

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I never for a second thought we'd stop at 103 stages, (its still not 100% confirmed), and I hope one of these extra stages is Melee's Mute City and that insane cinematic Orbital Star Fox stage from 4.

And can we have a good Sonic stage?! I've an idea! Something from Sonic Mania, since that game actually is awesome!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom