• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Exalt4747

Smash Journeyman
Not really relevant considering the final product is all we see. The N64 version was merely a test demo using polygons to test whether the additional cost for cartridges was worth it. All of the meaningful development was made for Playstation, and this was especially significant as it moved Final Fantasy from a distinctly Nintendo-sold franchise to a Playstation one. Which, again, is why I don't like Cloud being included.

But-- and I feel like people skip this part when I say it-- this is my opinion. I wish Cloud had been dropped in favor of a character with more significant relations to Nintendo, because the result was people clamoring for all kinds of characters who had very little to do with Nintendo at all. Cloud set the precedent.
I guess this is where we're irreconciliable, because to me, it's unfair to not count an intended Nintendo relationship, but to allow Sonic and Bayonetta ones that were acquired later- and Sonic is still multi-plat. If Cloud got some Nintendo games, would he be suddenly fine?

And I get that that's your opinion. But Goku started years before Cloud, and Shrek and what not would have happened anyway.

StormC

Smash Hero
Not really relevant considering the final product is all we see. The N64 version was merely a test demo using polygons to test whether the additional cost for cartridges was worth it. All of the meaningful development was made for Playstation, and this was especially significant as it moved Final Fantasy from a distinctly Nintendo-sold franchise to a Playstation one. Which, again, is why I don't like Cloud being included.

But-- and I feel like people skip this part when I say it-- this is my opinion. I wish Cloud had been dropped in favor of a character with more significant relations to Nintendo, because the result was people clamoring for all kinds of characters who had very little to do with Nintendo at all. Cloud set the precedent.
Eh... Cloud isn't that far removed compared to Snake to be honest. All of Snake's famous, world-renowned games are from Sony systems.

Snake has the benefit of having a couple of remakes, a non-canon NES sequel nobody remembers, and a surprisingly good Game Boy Color game.

Exalt4747

Smash Journeyman
Isabelle audits King K Rool and finds out that he's guilty of embezzlement.
In DK64, he attempts to starve the Kongs and then decimate them with a giant laser.

If the legal system got ahold of him, there'd be way more to worry about.

Vycoul

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Vycoul
To bring up an interesting game.
Do you have any Smash related amiibo? If yes do you plan on doing some early character unlocks or are you going to do them the old fashioned way?
I don't own any amiibo.
I wish the K. Rool amiibo released before Ultimate did. I'd love to use K. Rool for my first match in Ultimate. As it is right now, I'll be using DK.

Incidentally, the K. Rool amiibo's release date is still unannounced right? Nintendo didn't sneak a release date by me did they?

D

Deleted member

You guys want a game? I'll have you something to do: the Equalitarian Smash Roster. All currently represented franchises MUST have 3 and ONLY characters(when applicable), be them Unique or Echoes.
If a franchise has more than 3, you can only cut until it goes down to 3, if there are less, you need to fill those spots with newcomers.
Additionally, you may add up to three franchises, and all must come with 3 characters.
For example:
:ultmario::ultluigi::ultbowser:
:ultyoshi:(Kamek)(Poochy)
:ultdk::ultdiddy::ultkrool:
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf:
:ultfalcon:(e Black Shadow)(Samurai Goroh)
:ultsamus::ultdarksamus::ultridley:
:ultpikachu::ultgreninja::ultpokemontrainer:(gotta love loopholes)
:ultmarth::ultike::ultrobin
:ultness::ultlucas:(Porky)
:ultkirby::ultmetaknight::ultkingdedede:
:ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf:
:ultpit::ultdarkpit::ultpalutena:
:ultvillager:(Isabelle)(Tom Nook)
:ultshulk:(Elma)(Rex & Pyra)
:ultinkling:(e Octoling)(Squid Sisters)
:ultlittlemac:(King Hippo)(Doc Louis)
:ultolimar:(e Alph)(Plasm Wraith)
:ultsonic:(e Shadow)(Tails)
:ultsnake:(Raiden)(Revolver Ocelot)
:ultmegaman:(e Proto Man)(Zero)
:ultpacman:(e Ms.Pac-Man)(The Ghosts)
:ultryu:(e Ken)(Chun-Li)
:ultcloud:(TerraCeles)(Warrior of Light)
:ultbayonetta:(e Jeanne)(I'm sure there's more but I never played Bayonetta so god help me I'm scared)
:ultsimon::ultrichter:(Alucard)

New franchises:
The Wonderful 101: (Wonder-Red)(e Prince Vorkken)(Wonder-Blue)
Etrian Odyssey: (Protector)(Highlander)(Fafnire)
Chrono Trigger: (Crono)(Marle)(Lucca)

Non-applicable
:ultduckhunt::ulticeclimbers::ultgnw::ultrob::ultwiifittrainer:

hopefully I didn't forget anyone

Murlough

Euphoria
NNID
Murl0ugh
3DS FC
4828-8253-7746
Yeah, they're...definitely underdogs. I've come to respect them in a weird way.
Makes total sense. I know from experience people putting down your character choices over and over again can really suck. So, I try to give all a fair chance if they really support their choice.

Dang dude, you seem a bit pessimistic about this thread...can't blame you though.
I'm not being pessimistic though. Literally every discussion has at least a few people who are sick of it. Maybe Geno and Isaac discussions? If so its probably because they don't hardly ever happen.

But yeah, I can name 10 things this thread doesn't want to discuss easily and I'm struggling to think of something anyone for sure does. Everyone is quick to say "ugh I'm sick of this discussion!" but I'm not seeing anybody offer any other ones up! Like wtf am I supposed to do with that man? XD

Lets just sit here and twiddle our thumbs I guess. *shrugs*

Edit: I'm not complaining. It's just an observation.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Um...

*looks it up*

The MSX2 was a home computer system, albeit one that a lot of Games Companies made games for before the arrival of the Famicom...

I'm... not sure whether you're right or wrong on that point... huh...
That's why debates are awesome. :)

I liken it to how Tomb Raider actually released on Sega Saturn first, but no one really remembers or cares about that. The NES game, to my knowledge, is just the same game as the MSX version, only way more people played it. Then that spawned a sequel. MG2: Solid Snake, also for NES. But this all becomes murky and comes down to personal opinion.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Eh... Cloud isn't that far removed compared to Snake to be honest. All of Snake's famous, world-renowned games are from Sony systems.

Snake has the benefit of having a couple of remakes, a non-canon NES sequel nobody remembers, and a surprisingly good Game Boy Color game.
MGS: Twin Snakes on the Gamecube was my first MGS game, so I admit there could be bias there (even though I never finished it and I'm not really a fan of the MGS franchise). But there's still evidence to draw from. Four games on Nintendo consoles where he was the star versus Cloud's zero. That's what I consider to be the difference.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
If Heihachi makes it, i want it to be a continuation of what happen in t7.

Trailer starts with him falling, and into final destination

"Is this hell?"
I was thinking the volcano would erupt and he'd land near some of the cast on Battlefield.

Or there's a reference to the "EMBU's" that were in a few Tekken games(namely T3, TTT, and T4). And he or Jin show up at the end.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
01. Mario
02. Donkey Kong
03. Link
04. Samus
04e. Dark Samus
05. Yoshi
06. Kirby
07. Fox
08. Pikachu
09. Luigi
10. Ness
11. Captain Falcon
12. Jigglypuff
13. Peach
13e. Daisy
14. Bowser
15. Ice Climbers
16. Sheik
16e. Impa
17. Zelda
18. Dr. Mario
19. Pichu
20. Falco
21. Marth
21e. Lucina
22. Young Link
23. Ganondorf
24. Mewtwo
25. Roy
25e. Chrom
26. Mr. Game & Watch
27. Meta Knight
28. Pit
28e. Dark Pit
29. Zero Suit Samus
30. Wario
31. Snake
32. Ike
33-35. Pokemon Trainer (Squirtle, Ivysaur, Charizard)
36. Diddy Kong
36e. Dixie Kong
37. Lucas
38. Sonic
38e. Shadow
39. King Dedede
40. Olimar
41. Lucario
42. R.O.B.
43. Toon Link
44. Wolf
45. Villager
46. Mega Man
47. Wii Fit Trainer
48. Rosalina & Luma
49. Little Mac
50. Greninja
51-53. Mii Brawler, Mii Swordfighter, Mii Gunner
54. Palutena
55. Pac-Man
56. Robin
57. Shulk
58. Bowser Jr.
59. Duck Hunt
60. Ryu
60e. Ken
61. Cloud
62. Corrin
63. Bayonetta
64. Inkling
65. Ridley
66. Simon
66e. Richter
67. King K. Rool
68. Isabelle
69. Incineroar
70. Geno

How would you guys feel if this was the base roster?

This is also my prediction of how I think it will turn out.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You know what's funny?

This can actually happen now.

PlasmaDam

Smash Journeyman
Hey for those people who were mad about isabelle Reveal why where you guys or gals mad isabelle deverse to be in smash Animal Crossing deserves another rep even though i dont play animal crossing im happy that she got In Dont **** on Isabelle or her fans by saying no wants her Chracther what if somebody said it about your favourite Chracther if they got in all im saying is be Kind

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

According to Gamefaqs, Corocoro says there will be 108 stages total.

https://imgur.com/a/Y24VaBn
Could be a misprint(I know it sounds weird but it is a 3 being confused with an 8 which look similar enough, I've seen my mother's name being written as an U instead of IJ in OFFICIAL documents) but if it's not, 5 new stages is way more than I'd expect. Definitely not all new franchises but they could be tied to unrevealed fighters(Golden Sun stage, Alola stage, Nario RPG stage, etc.)

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Hey for those people who were mad about isabelle Reveal why where you guys or gals mad isabelle deverse to be in smash Animal Crossing deserves another rep even though i dont play animal crossing im happy that she got In Dont **** on Isabelle or her fans by saying no wants Chracther what if somebody said it about your favourite Chracther if they got in all im saying is be Kind
Are you okay

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
If there are five more stages I predict:

Square Enix stage
Tropical Freeze stage
Pokémon stage
Xenoblade stage
Minecraft stage

Possibly swap a Banjo stage instead, but that could be saved for dlc.

staindgrey

Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
I guess this is where we're irreconciliable, because to me, it's unfair to not count an intended Nintendo relationship, but to allow Sonic and Bayonetta ones that were acquired later- and Sonic is still multi-plat. If Cloud got some Nintendo games, would he be suddenly fine?

And I get that that's your opinion. But Goku started years before Cloud, and Shrek and what not would have happened anyway.
And being irreconcilable is fine. I know that my opinion is a minority opinion. But I don't hold any malice towards the character. I just don't like the precedent. All of the other 3rd party characters have significant Nintendo history, so we have that as a condition to keep in mind when we talk about possible rosters and whatnot. Cloud blows that up because he has virtually none whatsoever.

For all the people that complain about how Goku is considered a legitimate contender in these forums, remember: Cloud started it.

PlasmaDam

Smash Journeyman
I am fine i have just been seeing a lot of isabelle hate on Twitter and Other social media platforms

Paperchampion23

Smash Champion
If I had to be super casual or realistic about predictions, and basing it only on Vergeben, I'd say:

Ken (Ryu echo)
69. Incineroar (or any Gen 7 if it's not confirmed)
70. Geno (if the SE Rep Verg's rumor is the character Sakurai has wanted for years.)
71. Banjo (if Vergeben is right about Minecraft presence, Nintendo and Microsoft are talking, and Banjo is one of the few characters with Nintendo history, seemingly possible)

Ken and Incineroar could possibly be shown before the final direct and Geno and Banjo could be our final "secret" newcomers unvieled at a the final direct. This would align with "Boxgate" and have the last 2 hidden in the packaging somewhere that's not the sides of it.

Just keeping it pretty level headed with expectations. I'm sure there are more echoes, but if I'm basing it off of Verg, these are possible.

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero

I liken it to how Tomb Raider actually released on Sega Saturn first, but no one really remembers or cares about that. The NES game, to my knowledge, is just the same game as the MSX version, only way more people played it. Then that spawned a sequel. MG2: Solid Snake, also for NES. But this all becomes murky and comes down to personal opinion.
The NES game is pretty different from the original MSX game. Plus MG2 was not on the NES; before MG2 came Snake's Revenge for the NES, but when Kojima learned of this game made without his supervision, he decided to make MG2: Solid Snake for the MSX. That's arguably the game that was really the genesis of the MG series as we know it today, in terms of gameplay and story. MGS for the PS1 borrows heavily from MG2, to the point where you could almost consider it a sort of spiritual remake for it.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Hey for those people who were mad about isabelle Reveal why where you guys or gals mad isabelle deverse to be in smash Animal Crossing deserves another rep even though i dont play animal crossing im happy that she got In Dont **** on Isabelle or her fans by saying no wants her Chracther what if somebody said it about your favourite Chracther if they got in all im saying is be Kind
I agree with your point but you've kinda berated numerous choices in the past such as Boshi.

KMDP

Smash Legend

The MSX and NES versions of Metal Gear are... well... the original is easily the better of the two :laugh:

The primary, but not only, reason is because you actually fight Metal Gear in the MSX one, while you fight... a super-computer in the NES one.

The NES Final Boss has a plot problem: you're destroying the computer that remotely controls Metal Gear or something, but Outer Heaven can just, you know, rebuild the computer or use a different one; the problem isn't actually solved. In the MSX version, you're actually physically destroying Metal Gear, which is much more difficult to rebuild and can't be replaced.

I can't remember all the specifics about each and every difference the NES and MSX Metal Gears have, but they exist.

As for Metal Gear 2, it came out on the MSX2. The NES Metal Gear 2, "Snake's Revenge", is non-canon (Kojima didn't even know it was being made until either it was near completion or already on sale).

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

Beauty in the Chaos
Premium
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I'd like for everyone to keep in mind that until the magazine officially releases, we can't believe any "leaks" that come out from it. Corocoro scans have been faked in the past.

Like this:
maxresdefault (1).jpg

Last edited:

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
Aand there we go! New franchises don't need to be thrown aside because "103 is the final count! They wont get home stages"! Golden Sun and Rhythm Heaven have a slightly bigger chance now! Rejoice!
I’m shocked there’s isn’t a Rythym Heaven stage already, like what the heck Nintendo?!!

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
According to Gamefaqs, Corocoro says there will be 108 stages total.

https://imgur.com/a/Y24VaBn
Calling Shroob Shroob for nuclear meltdown. :090: The sacred number is broken, everything is in shambles, theories crumble.
i mean nothings backing it up but i just like it when i remember people say something and swearing an oath that it's so and then the opposite happens

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I am fine i have just been seeing a lot of isabelle hate on Twitter and Other social media platforms
Not new. Ashley had been given the same treatment when she got disconfirmed. :facepalm:

King K. Rool was without a doubt my most wanted alongside Ridley but I was really disgusted with what those K. Rool fans and supporters were doing. Absolutely childish and immature.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom