• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

praline

the white witch
Switch FC
6178 82674988
Because Smash is a celebration of Nintendo's characters. And Cloud is not a Nintendo-related character. Putting him in opened the floodgates of people wanting everyone on these forums, and I preferred it when it was Nintendo-only.

Plus I'm just not very fun with these cameo characters, I guess. I still don't get why Noctis and the dude from The Walking Dead are in Tekken 7.
What about Snake, Sonic, Megaman, Pac-Man and Ryu? Last I checked they’re not Nintendo characters either.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
If the amiibos do auto unlock the characters I might just have to open my Daisy amiibo
Makes me wonder what the value is for each amiibo. Who’s gonna be mad if they buy an amiibo for an early unlock and find out they could unlock that character in the first 10 minutes? That would be over a dollar per minute bought. I make $3 per every ten minutes. I can’t financially justify buying an amiibo unless the character takes at least 45 minutes to unlock. But the fact remains I worked 45 minutes to save myself 45 minutes playing a game I love playing. I will play that amount of time anyways.

But I’m not a fan of amiibos without some sort of functionality. That’s probably not the most popular of opinions.

Pakky

Smash Hero
Eggman will not be a boss.

There a definite with not initial backing.

Now come at me so I can defend my point.

D

Deleted member

As you said, it flamed out. Layton has been a pretty well-loved and successful series for a long long time. I don't ever see him in Smash tho.
But also who the hell put Layton over Phoenix Wright
My main concern about the Layton vs. Jibanyan argument is when was this roster considered? If it was shortly after the Final Presentation, the odds could have easily swayed to Jibanyan, but had the Level 5 rep been considered after that, it would have gone back to Layton.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Because Smash is a celebration of Nintendo's characters. And Cloud is not a Nintendo-related character. Putting him in opened the floodgates of people wanting everyone on these forums, and I preferred it when it was Nintendo-only.

Plus I'm just not very fun with these cameo characters, I guess. I still don't get why Noctis and the dude from The Walking Dead are in Tekken 7.
That's fair.

Final Fantasy 7 is my favorite game so Clouds reveal was incredible for me. My parents were at war intensely at the time, and my little brothers were very uncomfortable at home. But when we watched that trailer together it was all smiles, all the trouble disappeared, and I couldn't control my hype. One of my most memorable Smash moments.

Different strokes for different folks.
He also afraids of things. Halo doesn’t afraid of anything.
Anythign.* Show Halo some repsect.

Last edited:

monadoboy

Smash Lord
I'm surprised Leon doesn't have a bigger fanbase here, what with RE4's immense popularity and RE2's remake coming in just a few months.
I'd actually support him, but I'm not sure about realistic weapons in Smash, and Leon without a handgun and a shotgun doesn't sound as appealing. Although I'd love to see this in Smash:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
My main concern about the Layton vs. Jibanyan argument is when was this roster considered? If it was shortly after the Final Presentation, the odds could have easily swayed to Jibanyan, but had the Level 5 rep been considered after that, it would have gone back to Layton.
In all honesty I doubt either will appear at all. So, I wouldn't worry about it.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Speaking of bosses. There's rumors Marx from Kirby may be a boss. Fine I suppose but would had preferred Dyna Blade or Kracko as the Kirby boss.

Last edited:

Untouch

Smash Master
Er..
Another thing...
The ASIN (amazon ID) for the box is identical across the Canadian and American amazon pages, but the game has different IDs across the pages...
The controller shares the same IDs too.. but the product page doesn't say that there's a controller listing up on Canadian amazon yet...

It IS possible to put up fake listings.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I'd actually support him, but I'm not sure about realistic weapons in Smash, and Leon without a handgun and a shotgun doesn't sound as appealing. Although I'd love to see this in Smash:
His final Smash is a chainsaw wielding vaguely European spanish speaking maniac slicing off the opponent's heads.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
So how was that not already violated by Sonic's presence?
Sonic, Snake, Pac-Man, Ryu and Bayonetta had all starred in games made for Nintendo consoles. Ryu's games were synonymous with the SNES back in the day; Snake began his home console career on the NES; Bayonetta is currently exclusive to Nintendo consoles; Sonic's history with Nintendo before his many Nintendo-exclusive games (Secret Rings, Black Knight, Advance 1-3, Lost World, Sonic Boom) justified him as well. Cloud was a side character in a Kingdom Hearts spinoff portable game.

This is only my opinion, of course, but I'm using it as an example of how people's opinions here really have nothing at all to do with the final roster choices.

What about Snake, Sonic, Megaman, Pac-Man and Ryu? Last I checked they’re not Nintendo characters either.
Answered the other guy already. Lol.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This doesn't have to mean that. The final characters could very well just not be on the packaging, even if they are revealed.
I just think it'd be odd to release a game using the "Everyone is Here!" tagline and then omitting 2/3 characters in a boxart that last far longer than some reveals. Especially when this game doesn't have any secret characters and Sakurai is being completely upfront about revealing them all before release.
This is interesting...

Although, I see Nintendo always shipping out stuff even though it’s “incomplete”.

Honestly, I think Nintendo will just ship it out in the current state it is when they release it. They probably have some reveals they have planned for October/November in order to move the hype along a consistent pace.
Do you have any examples of unfinished/incomplete Nintendo stuff being released?

BlueMagician

Smash Journeyman
Incidentally, the person that PushDustIn couldn't identify in that one NicoNico appearance is Yukawa Senmu of the Dreamcast advertisements, which is why he was mentioned alongside Segata Sanshiro. (I had to find a repost of the video)

CHAMPIONX9

Smash Journeyman
Sakurai reaction to these character requests. :shiro:

Sakurai: But, you know I get requests like, “Please put Goku in”
Sugita: GOKU!?
Sakurai: “Please put Spongebob”
Sugita: SPONGEBOB?!
Sakurai: That’s impossible.
Sugita: Spongebob’s games are only sold abroad!
Sakurai: That’s right
Sugita: The really energetic, yellow square right?
Sakurai: Yes.
Sugita: Even Spongebob…
Sakurai: Well, those kinds of requests are pretty common.
Sugita: What about Yukawasen*, or Segata Sanshiro?
Sakurai: (laughs)
Sugita: …well I’m glad Sonic’s in.
Sakurai: That’s the point of Mii Fighters
https://sourcegaming.info/2015/03/22/mewtwo-dlc-takamaru-and-sakurais-nico-nico-appearance/
10/10, would play Segata Sanshiro

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Honestly, I'm super bummed that we got Cloud instead of Terra or Onion Knight.

Last edited:

Exalt4747

Smash Journeyman
Sonic, Snake, Pac-Man, Ryu and Bayonetta had all starred in games made for Nintendo consoles. Ryu's games were synonymous with the SNES back in the day; Snake began his home console career on the NES; Bayonetta is currently exclusive to Nintendo consoles; Sonic's history with Nintendo before his many Nintendo-exclusive games (Secret Rings, Black Knight, Advance 1-3, Lost World, Sonic Boom) justified him as well. Cloud was a side character in a Kingdom Hearts spinoff portable game.

This is only my opinion, of course, but I'm using it as an example of how people's opinions here really have nothing at all to do with the final roster choices.
Final Fantasy VII was intended to release on the N64, but it wouldn't run it. So he was "made for" a Nintendo system.

D

Deleted member

I'm just thankful we can avoid speculating on movie characters. Can you imagine them trying to push Alice in Smash Bros?

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Er..
Another thing...
The ASIN (amazon ID) for the box is identical across the Canadian and American amazon pages, but the game has different IDs across the pages...
The controller shares the same IDs too.. but the product page doesn't say that there's a controller listing up on Canadian amazon yet...

It IS possible to put up fake listings.
How would we go about figuring that out? That would be a paramount breakthrough right now.

Untouch

Smash Master
How would we go about figuring that out? That would be a paramount breakthrough right now.
There really isn't any way unless Amazon takes it down, I don't think it's possible to confirm. If Nintendo creates another listing and doesn't link to it it may be a fake listing but who knows how long that'll take.

D

Deleted member

I'm just thankful we can avoid speculating on movie characters. Can you imagine them trying to push Alice in Smash Bros?
Alice would be more broken than Brawl Meta Knight if we're going to be accurate to the movies.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
If the amiibos do auto unlock the characters I might just have to open my Daisy amiibo
On one hand, I do kinda want to unlock characters by the normal methods.

But on the other hand, if I really can just use amiibo, then I can unlock 22 characters right off the bat.

Tough choices.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
For me I'm only unlocking a select few if again true about the amiibos. That way I can still have fun unlocking characters properly but more fun already getting to play some I want such as K. Rool and Ridley.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I'm really hoping for Ayumi to be in this, even though I know it's highly unlikely. She'd be the Ultimate WTF pick, without a shadow of a doubt.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Cloud put me over the moon, but having Terra or a black mage or something would be cool.
If we get any new FF character, it needs to be Terra.

FF6 is the big popular FF game and the most Nintendo associated one. She fits like a glove. I know FF has that whole multiple protagonists thing but she's very clearly the one that is supposed to be in the spotlight.

FF is honestly big enough it can have two characters too.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Final Fantasy VII was intended to release on the N64, but it wouldn't run it. So he was "made for" a Nintendo system.
Not really relevant considering the final product is all we see. The N64 version was merely a test demo using polygons to test whether the additional cost for cartridges was worth it. All of the meaningful development was made for Playstation, and this was especially significant as it moved Final Fantasy from a distinctly Nintendo-sold franchise to a Playstation one. Which, again, is why I don't like Cloud being included.

But-- and I feel like people skip this part when I say it-- this is my opinion. I wish Cloud had been dropped in favor of a character with more significant relations to Nintendo, because the result was people clamoring for all kinds of characters who had very little to do with Nintendo at all. Cloud set the precedent.

Darkraid

Smash Champion
So.....you guys want to talk about Tekken? Heihachi was considered for a brief period, and had of Mii costume in the game too. Jin's also the other posterboy for the series too. And he also offers some sick moves like his Grandpa. There's even a bit of presence on the Nintendo systems given Tekken Advance, Tekken 3D Prime and Tekken Tag 2. Not to mention the Project X Zone games.

View attachment 164563

Nah, but seriously, a Tekken character in Smash would be great. There's also Yoshimitsu as a dark horse choice, since he's got both Tekken and Soul Calibur to pull moves and costumes from.
If Heihachi makes it, i want it to be a continuation of what happen in t7.

Trailer starts with him falling, and into final destination

"Is this hell?"

KMDP

Smash Legend
Snake began his home console career on the NES;
Um...

*looks it up*

The MSX2 was a home computer system, albeit one that a lot of Games Companies made games for before the arrival of the Famicom...

I'm... not sure whether you're right or wrong on that point... huh...

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Pride makes me want to unlock them all the hard way, but my immense excitement for Squirtle and Ivysaur makes me want to use my Charizard amiibo to unlock them. I'm probably just going to unlock just the trainer and then earn everyone else the hard way.

Chrono.

I honestly think Cloud's reveal was the most important addition in the series' history.
Him, Sonic and Snake are kinda tied the way I see it.

Snake is an icon in his own right and was the very first 3rd party added which is a huge milestone, Sonic was by far the most requested character and Mario's legendary rival for much of the 90s, while Cloud represents one of the most influential games of all time, also being the face of the Playstation's golden age. On top of being from a franchise that had been Nintendo console-exclusive up until that point.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom