• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
That's..... pretty edgy....
Yup, that's a yikes from mel
Yeah. ''Edgy"

To understand that words are ultimately just that....words.

Anyone who has known me long enough can attest to the fact that I swear in a natural conversation.

Swearing doesn't mean I'm edgy or less edgy or any of that ****. Because they're just trivial words. It doesn't make meless nice or any more rude or mean because I swear.

I'm also not gonna let people be all ''Roger was mean and he swore so therefore anything said to him that was rude doesn't matter."

I'm tired of being attacked and then made the bad guy when I fight back. It's happened to me since I came to this website and I'm just frankly sick of it.

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Shadow is definitely not a shoo-in.
Well yea but it’s still like 90%

Knuckles assist to take his place kapp’n took Isabelle’s place and probably the same for skull kid with the moon

Is a high fan request for smash

Can echo sonic easily as a matter of fact I think Sonics dash attack was changed for a reason

The ballot is a factor but not all characters

Does that sound like shadows is not in

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
You are insanely pessimistic dude.

Nintendo isn't going to reveal how many characters they have left through a display case. They know keeping a tight lid on that is key to hype.
Funny thing I was told the same about Nintendo not going to reveal the final stage count before all characters and implicitly deconfirming characters from unrepresented franchises.

The reason I'm confident about this hypothesis is because the 9 character pattern and the fact Echoes are right after their respective originals suggests whoever designed this knows the whole roster due to the suggested Echo of someone numeroted between 54 and 61. I also feel like people who want to argue against it are saying that the designer(s) didn't know about the whole roster and did whatever they wanted, and I don't buy into that. It's more believable to me that the final design is already done and this box is edited from the final boxart to remove Isabelle and the final original newcomer (with the editor not anticipating that Isabelle would already have been revealed by the time this design would go public) in order to make it as similar to the final design as possible, rather than made from scratch by people not knowing the final design. I'm not saying I'm certain of it, but I have a high degree of confidence about 90%.

For this reason I've largely tempered my expectations for the base game and until the hypothesis is proven wrong I'm now mostly focused on speculating about the Spirit mode and what DLC could look like, as well as who is that last original newcomer.

Anyone needs to feel free to believe in this box hypothesis or not, but for the time being the evidence looks solid to me and it will prevent future disappointment.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Oh rly lol

Go back to your ivory tower

I'll enjoy your salty tears when Sakurai tells us "that's all folks"

Btw if u think that is rude, please don't out into the real world. You'd run back home to momma in a sec

PEACE
See.

This.

This isn't even words. This is a bunch of childish immature gibberish.

Like you honestly think that ''salty tears" and a box art theory are important and going to break me or something.

Yet I'm the rude mean one out of touch with the real world.

Sure, Jan. Sure.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
You say 72 is the number right uh you guys already made a fatal mistake

https://www.ssbwiki.com/Super_Smash_Bros._Ultimate

We are at 72

And plus shadow the hedgehog is practically shoe in level at this point and Vergeben saids there’s going t9 be a SE rep and this is from the same source as simon Belmont

The box art is not final the could shrink the character boxes they could rearrange differently there can be characters on the back of the box no way to figure out who’s on the other side of the box no way to predict from

Besides

October will probably have the Lucina/Robin trailer for characters heck maybe incineroar and ken since they both involve fighting and fire

Then November will probably be 50 facts extravaganza ultimate edition

Does that sound like two more newcomers I don’t think so
We’ve covered that already.

Mii Fighters are one icon on the box. Pokémon Trainer is one icon on the box. Instead of 6 characters, it’s now two. That puts it as 70.

Once you get Ken and Incineroar, it’s 72.

I posted the mock-up on the previous page. Take a look at it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

There's a difference between ending prerelease with a character that's not considered hype for some and deliberately slowing the oace of reveals down. It could be anyone other than Incineroar and Ken and it would still be incredibly odd.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Side note, it kinda bums me out that they're treating Pokemon trainer's Pokemon as less than characters what with the icon just being him/her

D

Deleted member

You say 72 is the number right uh you guys already made a fatal mistake

https://www.ssbwiki.com/Super_Smash_Bros._Ultimate

We are at 72
Actually wait. I never really looked at this part. Okay, so what does the slots even mean then? Honestly, trying to figure out how many characters or "slots" there are this time in Ultimate has been a ****ing mess. Oh no, there's 68 classified characters, but in actuality there's 72 playable fighters. People from Source Gaming and GameXplain say that there'd be one more newcomer and an echo to round out 72 fighters, but we already have 72 fighters???

WHAT IS EVEN GOING ON ANYMORE.

...what the **** did I just read.png

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Yeah. ''Edgy"

To understand that words are ultimately just that....words.

Anyone who has known me long enough can attest to the fact that I swear in a natural conversation.

Swearing doesn't mean I'm edgy or less edgy or any of that ****. Because they're just trivial words. It doesn't make less nice or any more rude or mean because I swear.

I'm also not gonna let people be all ''Roger was mean and he swore so therefore anything said to him that was rude doesn't matter."

I'm tired of being attacked and then made the bad guy when I fight back. It's happened to me since i came to this website and I'm just frankly sick of it.
While I agree with your point to an extent, there ARE words that are given power through the history of the word/language they originate from.

Luckily, you aren’t and to my knowledge haven’t used those particular words, so that’s good.

Though, I will say in general that there is an (hopefully) awareness of the internet that a very large aspect of communication (body language) is missing, so intent/tone can be misconstrued quite easily.

Sorry, just thought i’d throw my two cents in. Not saying you’re a bad person for swearing, quite the opposite actually. Lol

Darkraid

Smash Champion
Ok... Let's clear the air.

You DO NOT need to do any resizing to add Ryu. Bear in mind that in Ryu's group, it is 8 instead of 9. Ken is pretty much in as an echo, unless its Zack Fair lol

D

Deleted member

Also, you guys are giving Fisher too much ****. Dude got as much of this for thinking Cloud and Bayo were possibilities before their reveal. I'm leaning more towards the Box theory being right but don't come complaining if he gets to tell you all "I told you so" for being right because he'd more than have the right to.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
If we cling to the theory and also assume that Vergeben is right, I could see a scenario where Incineroar is the last newcomer on the base roster, but somehow Vergeben's sources have gotten a sniff of Geno, or whoever the SE rep is, being set to be announced as the first DLC character, and maybe already being in development.
That makes sense, but at the same time, it doesn't?

I don't know. If this rumor is true, then I have even more reason to doubt Verge. I just don't see how his sources could know about potential DLC characters coming no sooner than December, but not know about three Echoes and one highly requested character who were all revealed in August.

Honestly, there's no room for mistakes with either of these things. If we get more than one Echo, the boxart theory is wrong. If the next unique newcomer isn't a Pokemon or SE rep, Verge would be wrong unless DLC saves him.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
While I agree with your point to an extent, there ARE words that are given power through the history of the word/language they originate from.

Luckily, you aren’t and to my knowledge haven’t used those particular words, so that’s good.

Though, I will say in general that there is an (hopefully) awareness of the internet that a very large aspect of communication (body language) is missing, so intent/tone can be misconstrued quite easily.

Sorry, just thought i’d throw my two cents in. Not saying you’re a bad person for swearing, quite the opposite actually. Lol
Oh. I know which words you speak of and totally agree. There are words that have a power even without having to have a particular tone or whatever applied to them.

And because of the type of person I am? I'd never use any of them.

But that's a serious subject and I'm not even about to crack open that egg. I'd rather go back to the Box Art Theory. Lol.

D

Deleted member

Necrozma would certainly be interesting, but from my perspective, it suffers a similar problem to Lycanroc. It only rose to fame in the Ultra release, even more so for Necrozma. I believe if we get a Pokemon, it will be one with significance from the beginning.

I'm thinking Tapu Koko because it's been significant from the moment it was revealed. You meet in game before your starter and you end your story with a battle after the credits.

The most astonishing thing to me though, is how little people talk about the Pokemon. It's really high up there with just how prominent it is.
Yeah, I know; that's why it saddens me that he probably won't make it in. I figured he may be a Pokeball, but then I realized that no Ultra Beast has been seen yet. I find it hard to believe that the Ultra Beasts wouldn't be seen in at least some capacity with how both games did revolve around their existence (to the point of the 'evil team' leader being Possessed by one in another dimension). As much as I'd love for Necrozma, his chances are lower than Koko and the two Ultra beasts he fought against (depending on your version lol) Pheramosa/Buzzwole. If, however, Sakurai was informed of the role they would play for the 2nd version, though...who knows. In all likelihood, the chances are, from highest to lowest: Incineroar, Decidueye, Tapo Koko, Buzzwole, Pheramosa, Necrozma, Lycanroc.

Last edited by a moderator:

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
mmmm...while it doesn't necesarily contradict the 72 characters theory. i don't get why they decided to "mostly" respect the character numeration excluding exceptions. the numeration starts with character 9 luigi, which means in teh other side we have a full row of six, but are left with 3 leftovers (considering Dark Samus) and then when getting to Zelda, she is outright jumped by. 9 characters... and stuff...

Well, I really wanted to see they getting to at leas 70 uniques. but seems there is a good chance we are getting a pokemon and an echo.

Still, if i was allowed to chose the other 2 characters I would go with Lycanrock/Elma and Isaac.

Is a strange tie, between Lycanrock and elma but i feel that both of them offer unique and fresh things to the roster, while Isaac would be the last "community" legacy character, and would close the roster in a high hype note for many.

Still, no impa and shadow echoes seems like a wasted opportunity ...

Well, im happy with the roster, and I braced from day one to "only 6" newcomers. Would be more than happy though if the box get changed and verge info or dante leak show us a couple more newcomers (SE second, Dante) which could mean more echoes... and im certainly that Impa, shadow and maybe dixie would help BIG time to fleshing the roster.

EDIT: Oh, im a dum dum, i just realized that Mii fighters share the same portrait, and very likely pokemon trainer would too.. does this means that there are space for 6 more portraits? instead of 2?

Last edited:

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Side note, it kinda bums me out that they're treating Pokemon trainer's Pokemon as less than characters what with the icon just being him/her
......I must admit, I find it kinda of satisfying.

All that time hogging the spotlight, now poor Charizard has to share with Squirtle and Ivysaur under the shadow of the trainer again.

Oh what's that? You want a little salt in your wound? Well Greninja still gets to roam wild and FREE

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA
ahem sorry

NextChannelGames

Smash Journeyman
Oh yea there was the rumor of Minecraft rep... Sadly it seems like we aren’t getting any new stages but maybe for DLC. Would be pretty sweet to fight in the Minecraft world

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Also, you guys are giving Fisher too much ****. Dude got as much of this for thinking Cloud and Bayo were possibilities before their reveal. I'm leaning more towards the Box theory being right but don't come complaining if he gets to tell you all "I told you so" for being right because he'd more than have the right to.
I have like 3 or 4 things I've been right about at this point. Like seriously.

I could throw a god damn ''I was right!" parade if I really wanted to, even if the Box Art Theory is right and I have to change my name to Princess Pinkybottom.

Last edited:

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Actually wait. I never really looked at this part. Okay, so what does the slots even mean then? Honestly, trying to figure out how many characters or "slots" there are this time in Ultimate has been a ****ing mess. Oh no, there's 68 classified characters, but in actuality there's 72 playable fighters. People from Source Gaming and GameXplain say that there'd be one more newcomer and an echo to round out 72 fighters, but we already have 72 fighters???

WHAT IS EVEN GOING ON ANYMORE.

View attachment 164430
>my head after reading this

I'm tired of being attacked
See.

This.

This isn't even words. This is a bunch of childish gibberish.

Like you honestly think that ''salty tears" and a box art theory are important and going to break me or something.

Yet I'm the rude mean one out of touch with the real world.

Sure, Jan. Sure.
He's just gonna keep making fun of you for taking stuff personally
If you feel like you're being attacked then idk turn off the PC/phone or walk away from the screen idk
Take it from who it is coming from and move on

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904

All that time hogging the spotlight, now poor Charizard has to share with Squirtle and Ivysaur under the shadow of the trainer again.

Oh what's that? You want a little salt in your wound? Well Greninja still gets to roam wild and FREE

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA
ahem sorry
Just because you write sorry in tiny text doesn't make it ok.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Not to be that guy, but based on some of the initial reactions I may do the same if this all turns out to be true in terms of the box.

Although to be honest i’m a non-confrontational person. I might not and just observe the salt should it happen. Just kinda...walk away and observe from a distance I guess. Idk.

Darkraid

Smash Champion

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA
ahem sorry
That really suck as a charizard fan

Oh wells...

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Shadow is really the odd one here that makes me doubt the box art.

Shadow being a highly requested character that's easy to implement as echo just seems such an obvious choice to include in the base roster.

But the box art makes too much sense... argh

I'm in a conflict

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
He can make fun of me all he wants. It doesn't make him any less in the wrong or me wrong for protecting myself.

At the end of the day. He's actually showing more that the words of some silly stranger on the internet matter to him.

I mean for god sakes the dude wants to drink my salty tears. Like can you get any more out of touch with reality?

And that's that on that.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Quick question:

Which would you guys prefer:

1) a large starting roster (4-8 more characters) with a reduced dlc roster (5) that ends in one year
2) a reduced starting roster (1-2 more) with a large dlc roster (6-12) spanning several years

While keeping in mind that resources and time are required for each

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
This thread is moving too fast for some people to understand the 72, as well as groups of 9 in the box art theory.

However do the majority of people agree that an echo of someone between Palutena and Cloud is very likely? Otherwise why would they mess up the order like that?

There could totally be more characters on the back or whatever, I can't say there isn't. However I see little reason to not think we are getting an echo between Palutena and Cloud. (Unfortunately I could care less for Ken :/ really hoping for Medusa instead).

Last edited:

Darkraid

Smash Champion
He can make fun of me all he wants. It doesn't make him any less in the wrong or me wrong for protecting myself.

At the end of the day. He's actually showing more that the words of some silly stranger on the internet matter to him.

I mean for god sakes the dude wants to drink my salty tears. Like can you get any more out of touch with reality?

And that's that on that.
Don't worry, i'm not that much of an ***hole.

I don't like to attack people either.

I really hope u are right.

But i learn to lower my expectations after being disappointed by the previous games.

Besides, i got my ridley and rool. I couldnt give a damn anymore

ChocolatGelgato

Smash Journeyman

Shadow being a highly requested character that's easy to implement as echo just seems such an obvious choice to include in the base roster.

I'm in a conflict
Yea people are like "no character is a lock lmao" but Shadow is the only potential character that would really baffle me if he wasn't in. They took the effort to swap shadow out for knuckles, loads of people like shadow (more 12 year olds who stumbled onto the ballot would vote Shadow than Minecraft Steve, sorry but if you're a kid and play smash i can guarantee you are also a sonic kid lmao). And he like ticks every possible box for what a echo fighter should be. I know everyone's gonna be like just dont expect then 4head but like, shadow was on a silver platter for them to take.

Dandelionel

Smash Apprentice

I'm in a conflict
Was he really requested prior to the echo fighters reveal? I saw Daisy, Chrom and Dark Samus' names constantly but not Shadow's. In fact I would argue that Tails was more popular than him. Sorry if this offends anyone but I feel like he was more a badwagon choice after people realized that he could be in the game, unlike the 4 new echoes that we have already (bar Richter and he is a special case)

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Quick question:

Which would you guys prefer:

1) a large starting roster (4-8 more characters) with a reduced dlc roster (5) that ends in one year
2) a reduced starting roster (1-2 more) with a large dlc roster (6-12) spanning several years

While keeping in mind that resources and time are required for each
Which ever one gives me more characters in the end.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Was he really requested prior to the echo fighters reveal? I saw Daisy, Chrom and Dark Samus' names constantly but not Shadow's. In fact I would argue that Tails was more popular than him. Sorry if this offends anyone but I feel like he was more a badwagon choice after people realized that he could be in the game, unlike the 4 new echoes that we have already (bar Richter and he is a special case)
Ah

It seems you are unfamiliar with the majority of the Sonic fanbase

Shadow in smash is no doubt every 12 year olds wet dream

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I honestly find it silly that people really think something as amateurish and obvious as a boxart count would be allowed to be seen, given how easy those are to draw from.

And I've seen plenty of games pull the whole placeholder image deal.

We're likely getting more than just 2 newcomers left. Mark my words.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Going to say it again real quick. Isaac was not an AT in Smash4. Was completely missing. He did not show up as a character. Shadow can be the same. Just because he is missing does not mean anything.

Shadow could be missing for any reason, not just because he would be a character.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Yeah this thread moves really fast. I considered making a thread to compile all the information, and I could always do that later.

In the meantime, why are people being rude? C’mon guys, I disagree with people sometimes myself but it’s not right to start throwing insults. It doesn’t matter who started it. We should always strive to try listening to each other and keeping it civil.

“Seek to understand, then to be understood”.

I love Smash a ton. I do. But I don’t have it in me to truly be a **** about it to a stranger when really all we mostly want is to play the damn game.

Just be kind to each other. Oy.

lizard1929

Smash Journeyman

BAHAHAHAHAHAHA
ahem sorry
Greninja is going to die in ultimate if Incineroar is in. As they both got in for similar reasons.
Greninja will probably be seen with a nerf with ult mechanics.
Sorry zard fans.
I will still enjoy greninja's gameplay over brawler incineroars but hey not much I can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom