• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Originality

Smash Journeyman
Wait can someone explain what happened with loz, see people saying they lied but iirc the last thing he said about this direct was lower your expectations

Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Obviously my punching bag will be Bowser Jr. Oh how much I hate that little brat. Can't wait to beat him up with Ridley and K. Rool. :demon:

The_Killah29

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ta1nted_4ngel29
Switch FC
SW-6336-0165-8517
If Isabelle is your punching bag of choice for this installment of Smash, I just wanted to let you know that I am silently judging you at all times.
I'm the opposite. I'm gonna be raising hell as best pupper secretary ever, just for the salt. :3

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
Wait can someone explain what happened with loz, see people saying they lied but iirc the last thing he said about this direct was lower your expectations
He basically put all of his chips on Skull Kid being announced, from what I know.

Then after the direct he deleted his Twitter and left the discord he was in.

Originality

Smash Journeyman
For punching bags, I usually just put in on random, don't really have any character I hate enough to consistently want to punch

Iridium

Smash Hero
To everyone - Which character reveal trailers is your favourite and least favourite so far for Smash Ultimate?
:ultsimon::ultrichter:>:ultchrom:/:ultdarksamus:>:ultridley:>:ultkrool:>>>>>>:ultinkling::ultdaisy:.

At least for me.

Edit: Isabelle would but put after Ridley, before King K. Rool.

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord
To everyone - Which character reveal trailers is your favourite and least favourite so far for Smash Ultimate?
It goes :ultridley: (possibly the most hyped I've ever been)--------------> :ultinkling: -> :ultsimon:/:ultrichter: ------->:ultkrool: --------> Isabelle (she doesn't have an icon yet okay)

Inkling gets extra points though for revealing the game in their trailer.

For echoes it's EASILY :ultchrom: ---------------------------> :ultdarksamus: ------------------------------->:ultdaisy:

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
In all fairness Isabelle doesn't have seniority over the also iconic K.K.Slider nor Tom Nook but still made it in due to popularity. I think Shadow is still far more likely as an echo then Metal Sonic.

And as I keep repeating, I can't see Tails being an echo at all.
In re to this since I forgot to bring it up...

I think a lot of it has to do with the fanbases again. While Isabelle has become the face of her franchise and become more recognizable than Nook/KK to the outer world, she's also taken over the AC fanbase a bit too. Someone may need to back me up here since I don't know the AC fanbase, but I thought that Isabelle's AC fanbase was also pretty big comparable to the other two. In that case, both AC fans and general fans get a popular character.

It is also the fact that Isabelle staged a coup and ousted the other two. You barely see them anymore, while Tails is still just as prevalent in the Sonicverse as before.
Imagine Sonic & Tails vs Mario & Luigi. That would be an awesome matchup.
Yes. Yes! A THOUSAND TIMES YES!

True, it'd be fun to recreate the EGM hoax (I'd love it to be one of Tails' pics on the site since we have the stage and all characters.

But I can't imagine Tails without :ultmario::ultluigi: vs. :ultsonic::ulttails:. That shot alone would be hype for so many people.

SonicMario

Smash Master
I’m okay with that, and I don’t understand why anyone wouldn’t be.
Let's just say there's probably a decent amount of rabid Shadow fans that see the Shadow the Hedgehog game or even freaking Sonic 06 as an underrated masterpiece (At least story-wise or something) and thus would like to see all that represented in his moveset in Smash.

The only thing I could take if Shadow was more unique is if it was all Sonic Battle based. I did like Sonic Battle alot. Shadow was fine in SA2, Heroes (Where it was even implied it wasn't the same Shadow from SA2), and Sonic Battle for me personally. Everywhere else though?... eh...

But still, Tails is a priority for me first.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
I feel like some of salt comes from people letting hype rise too much. The last three reveals were freaking bombshells to a lot people here, and I think to some people here Isabelle is kinda meh to them. I also think that sitting through one of the most boring Directs yet also didn't help
I think with quality analysis like that you’ve got nothing to worry about :)
It’s a heck of a lot more useful than me whining about Samus or making Farfetch’d LEEK jokes ;)

D

Deleted member

My Ranking of the Trailers:
"Lost My Damn Mind"::ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter: "Everyone Is Here!" :ultinkling:

"Was pleasantly surprised": :ultdarksamus::ultkrool:

"Well, that could've been better": Isabelle (Has her stock icon beet added yet?)

"Oh..."::ultdaisy::ultchrom:

Last edited by a moderator:

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
Let's just say there's probably a decent amount of rabid Shadow fans that see the Shadow the Hedgehog game or even freaking Sonic 06 as an underrated masterpiece (At least story-wise or something) and thus would like to see all that represented in his moveset in Smash.

The only thing I could take if Shadow was more unique is if it was all Sonic Battle based. I did like Sonic Battle alot. Shadow was fine in SA2, Heroes (Where it was even implied it wasn't the same Shadow from SA2), and Sonic Battle for me personally. Everywhere else though?... eh...

But still, Tails is a priority for me first.
Sonic 06 DID have some awesome and important character development not just for Shadow, but for Team Dark as a whole. That, Mephiles and the soundtrack were 06’s only redeeming features.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
but why do we seem to hate him, what did he lie about? I remember him just saying he thought Skull Kid had a chance
It sounds like people hate him because they want to spam him with "you were wrong" posts and now they can't.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
So I was debating on wether or not I should say this, but being pretty honest I'm a bit nervous here being on Smashboards. I've always got this fear in the back of my mind that the content I want to discuss would waste everyone's time. I hope that's not been the case so far with those that I've talked about :(
Is it better than any of the following?:
  • Will Shadow be an echo?
  • Who would be our Pokemon newcomer
  • Generic "leak" presented without context #34745
  • ****posting
  • "My character is definitely going to be in" followed by "your character is definitely not going to be in"
  • The sexuality of fictional video game characters
  • I'll add more as they come
If yes, then it's not a waste of our time. If no, then still throw it out because we'll likely discuss it anyways.
>"I wouldn't get my hopes up."
>predicts Erdrick
You laugh, but Dragon Quest is a massive series in Japan, and is more popular here than Metroid is in Japan. It's the most-selling Japanese series not represented in Smash. A Dragon Quest rep is certainly more likely than Shantae.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
The cinnamon roll is innocent and precious. There is not an evil bone in her body.
...not according to my headcanon.

Let's just say she makes Assistant Mayor Bellweather look tame. The villain team thought they could get dirt on her and run her out of town. They stopped trying. Nobody knows why...

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
I don't think Isabelle's inclusion is going to shaft anybody. We have DLC, which, if it's like Smash 4, will allow plenty of chances for more highly requested fighters.
I feel like some of salt comes from people letting hype rise too much. The last three reveals were freaking bombshells to a lot people here, and I think to some people here Isabelle is kinda meh to them. I also think that sitting through one of the most boring Directs yet also didn't help
I guess what I mean is if Isabelle was revealed during Smash 4's period it would be like ok/neat/whatever there's still more. Opposed to this ticking clock of reveals.

Like I don't remember anyone being upset or caring about the Smash 4 reveals, until the final roster was shown obviously. Just an observation though!

Iridium

Smash Hero
To get to the point, I will quote the post.

"From GE's Direct video, he:
Called Kirby's Epic Yarn 3DS, a then unknown title.

Mentioned ALL the PS1 FFs EXCEPT 8, coming to the Switch, which is happening.

Gave the idea of Isabelle being a unique when the others thought she'd be a clone.

And in the past, he said Daisy at E3 'as a joke', and called various other games like Captain Toad on the 3DS.

There's 'getting lucky', and then there's "I have an inside source".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCIFo23ANX4 Even the other GE guys are shocked at how accurate his 'predictions' were."

Do you guys think this at least a little concerning?

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Isn't Dragon Quest literally their official national game? Like if a video game could be its nation's anthem or on its currency, that'd be DQ for Japan?

Last edited:

The_Killah29

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ta1nted_4ngel29
Switch FC
SW-6336-0165-8517
Losing my mind:
"Everyone is Here!"

Sweet:
Literally everything after that.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
but why do we seem to hate him, what did he lie about? I remember him just saying he thought Skull Kid had a chance
Were you following loz at all? Dude was a prominent leaker following E3 where he got multiple aspects about the game's reveal. He went off the deep end, deleted his GameFAQs and began borderline ****posting. Finally, he put all of his leaker chips into Skull Kid being revealed, and when he wasn't he deleted his Twitter and left the Discord chat he's been in.

Pretty much, dude pretended to be a serious leaker, and ran when he was exposed.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Sonic 06 DID have some awesome and important character development not just for Shadow, but for Team Dark as a whole. That, Mephiles and the soundtrack were 06’s only redeeming features.
Which even if that's the case. Kiiiiiinda goes straight down the toilet considering the ending retcons the whole game aside from maybe a brief glance Sonic and Elise have at the final cutscene.

Shroob

Sup?
It sounds like people hate him because they want to spam him with "you were wrong" posts and now they can't.
Because he was an asshole, simple as that.

He jerked people around with "OH, I HAVE INFO!!!!!!!!" and **** on Discord and was just unpleasant as **** to deal with.

He told a lie, got caught, and ran away.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
The argument you made was that they would have pleased more people.
Lara Croft would objectively please more people given she's such a bigger character than them. I mean after all, this is the same community that was bewildered with Daisy's and Isabelle's inclusion. Yet, the majority of Nintendo fans and the general audience are happy that they are both in the game.
In no way would I use the Smash community as a basis for popularity.
Regardless of Lara's status in Japan, which even there, she's still highly recognizable compared to someone like Isaac or Geno.
Also something to note, those characters may be popular in Smash speculation but it doesn't actually equate to worldwide popularity. I mean even Super Mario RPG didn't even release in Europe and not to mention, Geno is just a side character on top of that.
After all, they're only tossed around in terms of Smash speculation, not in terms of popular characters or in terms of third parties or Nintendo franchises.

While, yes, I see more people name someone like Neku or Tifa over her. She still has undeniable popularity and iconography, no matter what incarnation she's in.
It's like arguing that Red in Smash isn't iconic due to him not appearing as his RBY appearance as opposed to his FRLG one.
Lara Croft is just undeniably more popular and recognizable.
Was. She was more popular. Her iconicness is for the PSone era primarily now, when she was on top..and even then a lot of it happened due to people being taken by her provocative design. I seen just as many talk about that as her games, if not more.

As for her reboot design, while I like it, it's pretty generic (sorry, only word I could think of), nothing about it could be seen as only her's, many girls could look like her on accident.

I simply don't know how many people who started gaming after the 90s or 00s would even know Lara or consider her a gaming icon. So, even broadening out to all gamers, no, I don't think most or even a lot of people would be overjoyed with Lara. As far as I see, her time has passed.
Wait...Lara and the Tomb Raider series never fell from grace like Crash and Spyro, hell she stayed having well received games other than Angel of Darkness

And I don’t think :ultsnake::ultbayonetta: maybe :ultsimon: and especially :ultrichter: were highly demanded 3rd party characters to debut in Smash
Yeah it did. Her popularity plummeted after the 00s era..there's a reason they did a reboot. Like Crash, her games were no longer bought in huge numbers nor critically acclaimed. They were good and well reviewed, but that was about it.

Snake wasn't, though Metal Gear is insanely popular, but he was added because Kojima asked Sakurai to put him in. Oddly enough, Bayonetta was highly requested and even expected. Many saw her as likely to appear in the base game.
People have wanted Castlevania for a while, even offering Simon as a replacement for Snake..it simply wasn't talked about as much due to no one thinking Sakurai would work with Konami again.

Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
So, to now ask the question that's on everyone's minds: which new character is going to be the coveted #69?:wario: That poor fanbase is going to get rekt'd by memes when it's revealed.
Still predicting Incineroar from a Pokemon Direct in October.

Then the final which is 70 will be Geno who is revealed last after many echos (Predicting Dixie, Ken, Impa or Octolng, and Shadow) in the Final Smash Direct in November.

Last edited:

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Because he was an *******, simple as that.

He jerked people around with "OH, I HAVE INFO!!!!!!!!" and **** on Discord and was just unpleasant as **** to deal with.

He told a lie, got caught, and ran away.
Okay. That's valid.

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
To get to the point, I will quote the post.

"From GE's Direct video, he:
Called Kirby's Epic Yarn 3DS, a then unknown title.

Mentioned ALL the PS1 FFs EXCEPT 8, coming to the Switch, which is happening.

Gave the idea of Isabelle being a unique when the others thought she'd be a clone.

And in the past, he said Daisy at E3 'as a joke', and called various other games like Captain Toad on the 3DS.

There's 'getting lucky', and then there's "I have an inside source".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCIFo23ANX4 Even the other GE guys are shocked at how accurate his 'predictions' were."

Do you guys think this at least a little concerning?
I think the common consensus is that he does have insider information but sprinkles in bits of falsities to make it seem like he's predicting stuff.

I'd definitely keep an eye on him and his claims in the future.

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
Sora isn't owned by Square.

Also Dragon Quest is popular in Japan but so is Monster Hunter and we're still waiting on that playable character. This Smash has a focus on globally popular franchises so far. Splatoon, Metroid, Castlevania, DKC, and Animal Crossing are popular around the world. DQ is niche outside of Japan and lacks an obvious "face" for the franchise in a crossover fighter like Final Fantasy has Cloud.

I could definitely see an AT or boss like Monster Hunter, but playable? Eh. Certainly nothing in its favor like Geno at this time.
Yeah but Sora comes from Square Enix made games... making him a Square rep

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
For Namco Bandai new guest I think and I believe Heihachi is the right choice as second representative because of first of this picture and also because he is a more active figure of Namco Bandai fighting games that is Tekken.
RyuVSHeihachi.png

Meritocracy

Smash Apprentice
Tails, as far as I can tell, is very popular* with the younger more intellectual** portion of the Sonic fanbase, the people around my age who can look at a new sonic game and hope, yet still tear it apart when it's inevitably trash. This is because Tails connects to them on a personal level.
On the flip side, Shadow is more popular with the people who remember him before SEGA screwed him over.
This is just an observation, make of it what you will, but the way I divided it makes Shadow the more popular one.
*INTERMISSION*
(I had to eat dinner, my schedule is whatever my parents tell me)
*Generally
**I'm not saying the younger generation is smarter, I'm talking about the division of society around my age and the sub-division of that group that is smarter

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
He deleted his Twitter.
So I guess we won't be hearing from him anymore!

If anything! The only credible leaker is Vergeben!

So I guess the last characters left are Ken, The New Pokemon, And A Square Enix Character!

What a shame! Was hoping for other characters other than the ones Verg mentioned! \

Oh well! I guess there's always DLC (Hopefully Verg doesn't give away all the DLC newcomers)!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom