• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
The character I wish to make into the game, of course minus Isabelle since she was revealed earlier today. For Pokemon since I don't know this franchise I decided to leave it with a question mark.

Now feel free to ask me why those choice ^^

Character wishes Roster.png

PlugMeister

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PlugMeistr
Switch FC
SW-7021-0200-5077
If Isabelle is your punching bag of choice for this installment of Smash, I just wanted to let you know that I am silently judging you at all times.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I was debating numbers and not style is the thing.
The wild Corrin DID appear, which kinda kills this argument in some ways. It shows Sakurai isn't THAT picky about the style if he's willing to just throw in Corrin.
No. If you count out dlc, there was a style and a character count to match it.

TMNTSSB4

Pranked!
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Only weirdos will stack echoes.
I would rather see :ultpit: and :ultzss: next to each other than to see :ultdarkpit: ****block :ultpit:
Lol, get bent loz18!

Why?
The character I wish to make into the game, of course minus Isabelle since she was revealed earlier today. For Pokemon since I don't know this franchise I decided to leave it with a question mark.

View attachment 164268
You got Viridi, Shadow, Shantae, Lara Croft, Banjo-Kazooie, Crash, Rayman, Dixie, Funky, Phosphora, Skull Kid, Imma, Tetra, Captain Toad and Magnus as characters you wanna see in Smash...I don’t need to question such smartness

D

Deleted member

So I was debating on wether or not I should say this, but being pretty honest I'm a bit nervous here being on Smashboards. I've always got this fear in the back of my mind that the content I want to discuss would waste everyone's time. I hope that's not been the case so far with those that I've talked about :(

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
Shadow was no doubt the highest voted sonic character in the ballot. Adding him as an echo would please the majority of Sonic fans.

To me it sounds like a logical thing to do.

Because y'know...

they are very vocal about it
Plus Shadow is literally a Sonic echo in like 90% of the games he’s been playable, including his very debut! It’s really not some kind of blasphemy to him to make him an echo, and I say that as a Team Dark fanatic! Was so happy to see Rouge is playable in that new sonic racing game during the direct, I hope Omega is too. :)

PK Bash

Smash Apprentice
So the Tails vs Shadow wars have begun anew have they?

I think both are good choices personally as a second Sonic person for different reasons.

Imagine this, what if Tails gets the Isabelle treatment while Shadow is an Echo but with the Mewtwo recovery/teleport effects and whatever other flare

Or even the other way around. Both have quite a bit of evidence for inclusion at this point, that is very hard to refute.
(I think I replied to the wrong post of yours but never mind, you'll figure it out I'm sure)
Nah I don't see why one or the other being in would be a roadblock to the other being in tbh. Anyone who says hoping for Shadow is "moot" because Tails is "more likely" is clearly not engaging their brain and uninformed ramblings riding on confirmation bias at most aren't worth losing sleep about.

Don't read too deep into my Tails thoughts - at the end of the day, they're just some more uninformed ramblings to add to the mix. (For the record though they're not that new - I've had these thoughts since Knuckles was first shown, back in Sonic's 20-second clip.) I only bothered to voice them because the topic came up and I haven't seen anyone touch upon those lines of thinking yet.
It would be cool to see him (and Shadow for that matter) in Smash, but honestly? I don't care that much if he's in or not. He just seems right to me though, for those reasons I've already explored within the last hour. I'd like to think that they're better arguments than chairs!

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607

View attachment 164268
I have no questions. Seems pretty open and shut to me. You like em. Lots of people like them.

Characters I strongly agree with:
Banjo-Kazooie
Shadow
Heihachi
Ray
Rayman
Deathborn
Magalor
Geno
Kamek
Skull Kid
Isaac
Lloyd
Prince Sable

In no particular order.

SonicMario

Smash Master
Shadow was no doubt the highest voted sonic character in the ballot. Adding him as an echo would please the majority of Sonic fans.

To me it sounds like a logical thing to do.

Because y'know...

they are very vocal about it
I think having Tails and Shadow both eventually in would at least do a decent job at trying to please both sides of the rather... rabid Sonic fanbase.

The Classic fans of Sonic Adventure 1 and older get Tails as an Isabelle-style clone.
The more modern fans of Adventure 2 and onwards get Shadow as an echo (Even if some of those wouldn't be satisfied becuase of "WTF NO CHAOS POWERS AND/OR GUNS?!?!?!")

Being the Sonic fanbase of course there would still be complainers. Like those who'd prefer Knuckles, Eggman, Metal Sonic, Blaze, etc.

But Tails and/or Shadow make the most sense right now.

P.S. Do you know the odd thing about the split I made though? SA2 on the Gamecube was my first Sonic game and it was what hooked me to Sonic in the first place. By all means I should be more of a Shadow fan. But somehow Tails still ended up being my favorite. It's weird. Not to mention I suck at the classic sonic games. So it's not because of the Classic games that I like Tails so much either.

Last edited:

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
It could mean nothing because Alfonzo but Tails is still running in the background of Green Hill. Knuckles and Silver seems removed but he's still there.

D

Deleted member

If Isabelle is your punching bag of choice for this installment of Smash, I just wanted to let you know that I am silently judging you at all times.
Nah man. Isabelle won't be my punching bag. I've got Robin and Corrin for that.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
So I was debating on wether or not I should say this, but being pretty honest I'm a bit nervous here being on Smashboards. I've always got this fear in the back of my mind that the content I want to discuss would waste everyone's time. I hope that's not been the case so far with those that I've talked about :(
Nah, don't worry about it, there's nothing to do except waste time. That's why we're stuck in a perpetual cycle of ****posting and arguing over if *insert character here* would make sense as an echo fighter.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Don't worry about it! From what I've seen, you're one of the users around here that seems to like discussing the game itself along with the leaks instead of being all leaks all the time, which is a nice change of pace IMO. Leak talk can be fun, but it honestly always reaches a point where it's just draining and devolves into arguing. Varied content is good, so please continue doing what you're doing. :)

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Don't worry.

Technically, everything we do here is already a huge waste of time.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Isabelle will be my character of choice to practice playing as Ridley ;)

I love that Isabelle is in the game btw, it's amazing that I can play as a horrific space dragon and fight a cartoon puppy secretary.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Which is not the point I was arguing. I am a Tails fan. Have been for years. I understand he is not obscure. The point I am making is that an Assist Trophy missing can be seen as a bigger deal then a Mii Costume.
I don't think it'd look weird at all, seeing as Tails could just remain in the background of Green Hill Zone.
I really see this as the competition of two fanbases - the Sonic fanbase, and a general one. Shadow is huge in the Sonic fanbase, but he's not well known as anything more than "edgy black Sonic" outside of the fanbase. They are more familiar with the fox that was player 2 when they had to play with their siblings, and haven't been with the franchise since things went 3d.

It's almost like what's happening now with Isabelle. Yes, Isabelle has her fans, but we've got Smash speculation forums all salty that 'nobody asked for her! Geno's more popular!' Among Smash fans, maybe. But the larger group of non-superfans likes her, and definitely thinks she's more recognizable than him.

Shadow also benefits from the fact that he'd be an easy clone, and that he had an assist before. Tails has also been seen in the back of GHZ, but we don't know if that was a port since Knux is still back there (of if Knux is in two places in the final game). Put all of that together, and it seems like Shadow would be the most obvious next character a Sonic fan would add. But Tails was the one who got a Mii costume, not Shadow, and Tails is the more well-known character to non-fans. Also, Ashley was considered an absolute lock since she had a massive Japanese fanbase, and her assist hadn't been seen and she had a Mii costume, and thus a lot of fans were disappointed in the August direct. I'd offer that a missing Assist doesn't mean anything until we get the confirmation we've seen them all, then we can argue cut vs. promoted.

But all in all, it just feels wrong for Sonic's #2 to be stuck in the loop while Shadow and Knux are promoted around him. Yes, we can consider that Sonic : Tails : Shadow :: Mario : Luigi : Wario, but in this case Wario is as popular as Mario himself. Still, a poll asking "Which is your favorite?" isn't asking "Which is your least favorite?" so we can't say that Tails is the most hated of the bunch...just like that not many people would put Luigi as their most favorite Mario character, but few have a problem with him. It would just feel wrong for Wario to get in and leave Luigi as a background character.

Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Well decided to change my prediction once more.

October: Incineroar(69) - Pokemon Direct
November: Dixie Kong(36e), Ken(60e), Geno(70), Impa(16e) or Octoling(64e), Shadow(38e) - Final Smash Direct

Last edited:

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
And I feel it would still "match" because if this were the case we'd have gotten Medusa before Dark Pit, going by your seniority argument.
Okay, that's a fair point. However it's still a flawed one.
He was just going to be a costume and decided to help pad out the roster with him alongside Lucina and Doctor Mario. And regardless of that fact, a character with seniority was still put before him:
Palutena.
Dark Pit would have never been a character on the roster if it wasn't for that decision to help pad it out.
Echo Fighters this time around are actually based off of fan demand, and were likely included in the project plan. So therefore, Sakurai actually decided on what characters to include this time around.
Shadow only has the AT and just popularity surrounding him, and that definitely does help his case.
However, Tails is Sonic's Player 2 character. He's the more iconic and recognizable character to mass amounts of people and theoretically would please more of the masses as opposed to Shadow.
If anything, I think we could get both, but I just believe Tails is more likely. Especially considering the fact that he got a Mii costume over him, given they were based off of popular characters, and if you subscribe to that theory.
In all fairness Isabelle doesn't have seniority over the also iconic K.K.Slider nor Tom Nook but still made it in due to popularity. I think Shadow is still far more likely as an echo then Metal Sonic.

And as I keep repeating, I can't see Tails being an echo at all.
I mean Tails could be under the designation, it's really up to how they want to order the roster. Like they could just change an Up-Special and his up throw, and call it a day.
I think he'd be more like Isabelle, but it's really up to the Dev team.
Isabelle, I feel is slightly different in this case. After all, she became the face of the franchise over those characters. So I think at that point, it kind of superceded them.
While Shadow is nowhere near the status of Sonic and the classic characters.
Even then, Sakurai still cares about seniority. Like despite most of Simon's moveset deriving from Richter, he's still considered the unique character of the franchise. While Richter is still considered the echo.
Tails has more seniority and more of an iconic status than Shadow does.
It's just objectively true.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I really see this as the competition of two fanbases - the Sonic fanbase, and a general one. Shadow is huge in the Sonic fanbase, but he's not well known as anything more than "edgy black Sonic" outside of the fanbase. They are more familiar with the fox that was player 2 when they had to play with their siblings, and haven't been with the franchise since things went 3d.

It's almost like what's happening now with Isabelle. Yes, Isabelle has her fans, but we've got Smash speculation forums all salty that 'nobody asked for her! Geno's more popular!' Among Smash fans, maybe. But the larger group of non-superfans likes her, and definitely thinks she's more recognizable than him.

Shadow also benefits from the fact that he'd be an easy clone, and that he had an assist before. Tails has also been seen in the back of GHZ, but we don't know if that was a port since Knux is still back there (of if Knux is in two places in the final game). Put all of that together, and it seems like Shadow would be the most obvious next character a Sonic fan would add. But Tails was the one who got a Mii costume, not Shadow, and Tails is the more well-known character to non-fans. Also, Ashley was considered an absolute lock since she had a massive Japanese fanbase, and her assist hadn't been seen and she had a Mii costume, and thus a lot of fans were disappointed in the August direct. I'd offer that a missing Assist doesn't mean anything until we get the confirmation we've seen them all, then we can argue cut vs. promoted.

But all in all, it just feels wrong for Sonic's #2 to be stuck in the loop while Shadow and Knux are promoted around him. Yes, we can consider that Sonic : Tails : Shadow :: Mario : Luigi : Wario, but in this case Wario is as popular as Mario himself. Still, a poll asking "Which is your favorite?" isn't asking "Which is your least favorite?" so we can't say that Tails is the most hated of the bunch...just like that not many people would put Luigi as their most favorite Mario character, but few have a problem with him. It would just feel wrong for Wario to get in and leave Luigi as a background character.
Imagine Sonic & Tails vs Mario & Luigi. That would be an awesome matchup.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Pranked!
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
It could mean nothing because Alfonzo but Tails is still running in the background of Green Hill. Knuckles and Silver seems removed but he's still there.
I think Knuckles was spotted in GHZ still, could be a minor error...
I think having Tails and Shadow both eventually in would at least do a decent job at trying to please both sides of the rather... rabid Sonic fanbase.

The Classic fans of Sonic Adventure 1 and older get Tails as an Isabelle-style clone.
The more modern fans of Adventure 2 and onwards get Shadow as an echo (Even if some of those wouldn't be satisfied becuase of "WTF NO CHAOS POWERS AND/OR GUNS?!?!?!")

Being the Sonic fanbase of course there would still be complainers. Like those who'd prefer Knuckles, Eggman, Metal Sonic, Blaze, etc.

P.S. Do you know the odd thing about the split I made though? SA2 on the Gamecube was my first Sonic game and it was what hooked me to Sonic in the first place. By all means I should be more of a Shadow fan. But somehow Tails still ended up being my favorite. It's weird. Not to mention I suck at the classic sonic games. So it's not because of the Classic games that I like Tails so much either.
better idea...Custom Avater Hero confirmed for Smash just to cause all Sonic fans to freak out (port your hero into Smash)
To everyone - Which character reveal trailers is your favourite and least favourite so far for Smash Ultimate?
:ultkrool:/:ultridley:/:ultinkling: for the best, then :ultsimon: and Isabelle for middle...but :ultrichter: for worst

Echoes without a normal trailer reveal- :ultdaisy: then :ultdarksamus: and finally :ultchrom:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

ZephyrZ ZephyrZ Idon Idon Thanks. I probably should't worry about it, but living with anxiety for...9 or so years of your life will do that to you unfortunately. But thanks nonetheless!

@Mr. Wario Yeah, I don't particuarly care about leaks, as more often than not they're just a bunch of hot air. I'd much rather discuss the game itself. And what newcomers could be added.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace

Honestly the games where Shadow deviates from Sonic’s playstyle tend to be the bad ones. In most of the best games that Shadow’s been in, he is very much a moveset clone of Sonic. I’m okay with that, and I don’t understand why anyone wouldn’t be. It even serves the narrative by emphasising his nature as Sonic’s foil/rival. If Shadow is in Smash as Sonic’s echo, that is right and proper in my eyes.

Imadethistoseealeak

Smash Champion
Hm...I feel like some of the salt with Isabelle comes with how the reveals are different this time. We will know all the characters by the games release.

And so unless Sakurai breaks the normal of character reveals (which he has to an extent) we only have a finite amount of time left. There is no "Maybe they'll be a secert character". We have less than three months and many of us are suspecting limited reveals. This is a new was of speculation as we get closer and closer to release.

D

Deleted member

To everyone - Which character reveal trailers is your favourite and least favourite so far?
Everything's been pretty good for me so far:

Trailer rankings:

Hype!: :ultinkling::ultkrool:

I liked it: :ultridley::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultisabelle:

I don't really dislike any of the trailers, TBH.

My reactions to the characters themselves:
aasfhlsfghlghdkjs YES YES I'M SO HAPPY: :ultinkling::ultisabelle::ultkrool::ultdarksamus:

Cool beans::ultridley::ultdaisy::ultsimon::ultrichter:

Meh::ultchrom:

EDIT: I misread your post and thought this was ranking the characters, not the trailers, lol. My bad, I'll edit that in too!

Last edited by a moderator:

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
Anything happen over the past 12 hours?

All I heard was that Verge doubled down on some claims.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Hm...I feel like some of the salt with Isabelle comes with how the reveals are different this time. We will know all the characters by the games release.

And so unless Sakurai breaks the normal of character reveals (which he has to an extent) we only have a finite amount of time left. There is no "Maybe they'll be a secert character". We have less than three months and many of us are suspecting limited reveals. This is a new was of speculation as we get closer and closer to release.
I don't think Isabelle's inclusion is going to shaft anybody. We have DLC, which, if it's like Smash 4, will allow plenty of chances for more highly requested fighters.

D

Deleted member

I feel like some of salt comes from people letting hype rise too much. The last three reveals were freaking bombshells to a lot people here, and I think to some people here Isabelle is kinda meh to them. I also think that sitting through one of the most boring Directs yet also didn't help

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
On the topic of punching bags. I usually use Mario or Bowser, depending on if I'm in the mood for practicing with a big target or a small one. Those two just seem the most fit for the job.
ZephyrZ ZephyrZ ZephyrZ ZephyrZ Idon Idon Idon Idon Thanks. I probably should't worry about it, but living with anxiety for...9 or so years of your life will do that to you unfortunately. But thanks nonetheless!
Oh believe me, i know that feeling all too well. I actually have some pretty bad social anxiety myself. But once you get used to posting here, that anxiety starts to fade away.

Last edited:

Potato_

Smash Lord

I love both of them, so either way I'm going to be slightly sad if one gets in over the other. I'm hoping if one has to miss out then the other one gets in as potential DLC.

Tails could easily be replaced by so many characters on the background of Green Hill, I see that as a nonissue. They could easily pull an Alfonzo situation.

The Ashley thing is important too, we've got a few Assist Trophies left and they could easily deconfirm a lot of big names, just because we haven't seen the character in question (Isaac, Shadow, SK) doesn't mean they aren't one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom