• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
Reboot Lara is an origin story, Other M is veteran Samus with completely obliterated characterization. Not the same at all.
You know I REALLY recommend just using the "she's a wuss" argument but, you do you
Geez

I wonder why yoooouuu would prefer the original Lara

Really now
I view escapism as an essential part of the video game experience, and so it pains me to watch old favourites of my childhood be swallowed up by the current obsession with “realism”. What’s next? Will Sonic be brown and fat and get hit by a car in the next Sonic game?

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I view escapism as an essential part of the video game experience, and so it pains me to watch old favourites of my childhood be swallowed up by the current obsession with “realism”. What’s next? Will Sonic be brown and fat and get hit by a car in the next Sonic game?
wouldn't put it past Sonic Team if I'm being honest

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Plus...who wouldn’t want to see Lara Croft (be it the Original, Legends, or Reboot version of her) fight Samus Aran?
She wouldn't be the first third party I'd pick but the more character additions that went on to be in this game instead of Playstation All-Stars, the better!

Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Assuming Incineroar and Geno are the last newcomers announced for the base roster, and that there's going to be DLC, what characters do you think deserve to get in after the game's release?
Name your top 3 picks.
Skull Kid
Shantae
Paper Mario
Banjo-Kazooie
Black Shadow
Medusa

Three of my most current wants.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Reboot Lara is supposed to be the character in her early days, so I wouldn't call her a chump. But I do like the classic version more, basically a James Bond type of attitude and the DJ Jazzy Jeff shades. They do a lot for me.

If Smashdown is any indication of the game's final roster then it might be divisible by 4.
MATH!? In my video games? That's nasty. I want nothin' to do with it.

Last edited:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Assuming Incineroar and Geno are the last newcomers announced for the base roster, and that there's going to be DLC, what characters do you think deserve to get in after the game's release?
Name your top 3 picks.
Skull Kid
Shantae
Paper Mario
1. Heihachi Mishima
Tekken is huge franchise in both Japan and in the west and it is Namco's biggest franchise. Best selling fighting game out there with slightly lower sales than Metal Gear. Heihachi is the poster boy of the franchise so adding him just feels necessary to me.

2. Tails
Sonic has a lot of potential as a franchise. So what better way to expand the series you ask? Add the Luigi of the franchise which is none other than Miles 'Tails' Prower. Very iconic, yes yes.

3. Chun-Li
Another icon in pop-culture as a whole. Chun-Li is up there with Lara Croft and Princess Toadstool as one of the most recognizable female heroines in gaming. So to me that sounds like a well deserved spot on the roster.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
In other news, Isabelle will be subject to the inside of Wario’s mouth like the rest of us and we here at NML News studio aren’t sure the general public is ready to handle that.

More on this at 11.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Seriously how is master chief possible.

There’s no game ever made on Nintendo systems that disqualifies him automatically from one of Sakurai rules they must have a game on any Nintendo system made.
Minecraft skin, it’s very easy to bend these rules but I don’t think he has a shot if banjo isn’t in the base roster

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
In other news, Isabelle will be subject to the inside of Wario’s mouth like the rest of us and we here at NML News studio aren’t sure the general public is ready to handle that.

More on this at 11.
And we still wait for Isabelle Kirby as well.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
We talking characters possible for DLC? I'm guessing expected characters that didn't make it into the base game, "late to the project plan party" candidates like Crash and Springman and Doomguy, as Bethesda confirmed they've talked to Nintendo about Smash Bros.

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
Name your top 3 picks.
Skull Kid
Shantae
Paper Mario

Isaac
Elma
Dixie Kong

please sakurai :(

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I was about to say that. What if instead of getting Skull Kid we get Majora's Mask as an item and it provides some kind of magical attribute of some sort. Just imagine every character wearing the mask :O
Now THAT is an interesting idea. What would it do?
It could briefly make you float and able to shoot magic with the jab button, for one making everyone a magic user briefly, finally.
And I mean, nothing says the Mask's tendrils couldn't be a part of it.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Your reaction if there’s no Xenoblade newcomer for base, but we get both Rex/Pyra AND Elma as DLC?

Myself, I’d be a bit disappointed Elma wasn’t on base. But if DLC characters get the same quality of trailers as base roster characters do now, we can see a dual reveal with first Rex & Pyra and THEN Elma as Uncontrollable kicks in and it would be L I T

Zathura

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyZygarde
3DS FC
0404-6234-5785
Switch FC
SW-0485-3368-5894
I was gonna try and predict DLC characters but after Isabelle I know I’m never gonna predict anything right

T-Hell

Smash Lord
so why are TR fans accepting this ******* reboot version?
Well, in my case I started playing TR with the reboot and I completely fell in love with that Lara. She's so cute, smart, and humble.. She's a woman that if existed in real life I would legit fall in love with her. Reboot Lara is simply amazing.

hazza5557

Smash Journeyman
Is there anyone that actually wants Ken? If Verge didn’t leak him, I bet no one would have him on their wish lists.

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Many thought Isabelle would be an echo and look how that turned out...and most wouldn’t be mad at a gaming icon (who’s definitely more beloved+well known than those whom you named) joining Smash
Lara Croft is literally an icon of video games and one of the most prominent and iconic female characters.
The only characters that you'd mention that would maybe please more people is Sora and Banjo given they may hold similar, if not slightly less, weight.
Like Geno and Isaac are completely dwarfed by her status and are completely unrecognizable to most people unlike her.
Lara Croft is an Icon in the West and that's about it. Japan sees her as more of a fashion model then an adventurer, likely due to seeing her in ads more then playing the games.
She also had a fall from grace like Crash and Spyro and only recently is coming back into the spotlight..but not to anywhere near the degree of popularity she once had. Beyond that, reboot Lara isn't the iconic one, the 90s/00s one is.

However, I mostly meant in regards to fan demand. Fact is there are very few people that actually want Lara Croft in Super Smash Bros. Square Enix has a ton of characters with more fan demand then Lara has, and more popularity if you consider the massive popularity of Dragon Quest in Japan.

Not helping her case is that Sakurai likes to converse with the character's creator or handler, which is why no Western IPs are in as playable characters, and the team behind Lara's games are Western, even if the parent company is Japanese.

Lara may be a popular character and a past Icon, but I do not believe most people would love her inclusion over so many other wanted characters even from just SE alone.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

More on this at 11.
I was already concerned about her being the victim of Wario's farts.

PK Bash

Smash Apprentice
Tails would definitely be a semi-clone at least, unique at most.

He straight up can't be an echo as he doesn't share proportions with Sonic and would need to change a couple moves Sonic does that would be impossible for him (Up-Throw being the most notable.)

Ken could go either way honestly. But I hope he isn't a full blown echo.
Funnily enough, up throw was the main thing I was thinking of when thinking of moves Tails could pull from Sonic the Fighters. In that game he has a move where he just picks the opponent up, flies up high and drops them. Could adapt that into a Kirby- or ROB-style up throw for Smash.

I don't particularly want the guy myself, but I do think there's a lot of cool potential for Tails in Smash with regards to an interesting fighter and a beloved character and I reiterate I said before - having Sonic playable, Knuckles as an AT, but no Tails at all, would be far too weird. You surely should have all three prominent, not just two. Surely?
I think Tails is a very strong candidate for playable, his personality and skillset translates into a playable character for Smash a lot better than that of e.g. Knuckles in my opinion (you'd have to give Knuckles things like gliding for it to be Knuckles, and they dropped that mechanic for a reason...). So yeah, nobody's a lock, but if I was about that life I would bet on Tails at this point.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
Well, in my case I started playing TR with the reboot and I completely fell in love with that Lara. She's so cute, smart, and humble.. She's a woman that if existed in real life I would legit fall in love with her. Reboot Lara is simply amazing.
I can’t and won’t argue with that, but the Lara I know is impossibly sexy and impossibly badass. (Because the two are NOT mutually exclusive)

Chrono.

Your reaction if there’s no Xenoblade newcomer for base, but we get both Rex/Pyra AND Elma as DLC?

Myself, I’d be a bit disappointed Elma wasn’t on base. But if DLC characters get the same quality of trailers as base roster characters do now, we can see a dual reveal with first Rex & Pyra and THEN Elma as Uncontrollable kicks in and it would be L I T
Gotta be honest after playing Golden Country, having Rex/Pyra when Lora/Jin are right there would be deflating lol.
Funnily enough, up throw was the main thing I was thinking of when thinking of moves Tails could pull from Sonic the Fighters. In that game he has a move where he just picks the opponent up, flies up high and drops them. Could adapt that into a Kirby- or ROB-style up throw for Smash.

I don't particularly want the guy myself, but I do think there's a lot of cool potential for Tails in Smash with regards to an interesting fighter and a beloved character and I reiterate I said before - having Sonic playable, Knuckles as an AT, but no Tails at all, would be far too weird. You surely should have all three prominent, not just two. Surely?
I think Tails is a very strong candidate for playable, his personality and skillset translates into a playable character for Smash a lot better than that of e.g. Knuckles in my opinion (you'd have to give Knuckles things like gliding for it to be Knuckles, and they dropped that mechanic for a reason...). So yeah, nobody's a lock, but if I was about that life I would bet on Tails at this point.
I wish I had your confidence. :p But I agree, I do think Tails has more going for him than people are seeing.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
I can’t and won’t argue with that, but the Lara I know is impossibly sexy and impossibly badass. (Because the two are NOT mutually exclusive)
Well, to be fair the reboot is the beginning of her story, and she evolves through the games to what she was in the original games. In the new one that just came out, Shadow of the TR, she's already a badass.

ganondorf_22

Smash Journeyman
Name your top 3 picks.
Skull Kid
Shantae
Paper Mario
Takamaru
Kyle Hyde
Leon Kennedy

Last edited:

Green_Pikmin*

Smash Journeyman
If the Smash Direct is our last batch of info, and 103 is all the stages in the base game, im gonna lower my expectations and expect...

*Late October/Early November Direct
-The direct begins with a Pokemon Newcomer
-Goes over some more character changes
-More New Echo Fighters (Dixie Kong, Shadow, Ken etc.)
-New Spirits Mode run down
-Skull Kid ends up being a Boss and a few others
-Ends off with Geno as the last character
-DLC in works for 2019 (Springman, Rex/Pyra etc.)

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
So video games are more technically advanced now, doesn’t change the artistic intent :p
I mean okay I don't really understand how you can find an almost comically weirdly-shaped and polygonal model sexy over a model that looks almost identical to an actual real woman but...that's your opinion I suppose, again you do you

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
Tails would definitely be a semi-clone at least, unique at most.

He straight up can't be an echo as he doesn't share proportions with Sonic and would need to change a couple moves Sonic does that would be impossible for him (Up-Throw being the most notable.)

Ken could go either way honestly. But I hope he isn't a full blown echo.
Yeah, I was mostly curious about it given most clones in this game were given an Echo Fighter designation like Chrom, given he has just a different Up-Special and trait.
So I just assumed every Echo Fighter would just be a clone introduced in this game.
But if Tails gets in, I feel he would derive a good chunk of his specials, outside of Up obviously, from Sonic. But like you said, a good amount of attacks wouldn't really work with him. So I think he would still be considered unique.
Ken on the other hand, could be like his SFV or SF4 counterpart, with mostly different normals and tilts. However, I wouldn't be surprised if he still gets the designation though.

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
I predict there will be 2 more newcomers and 2 more echo fighters, and people will be disappointed, because they didn't heed Sakurai's warning to not expect too many new challengers.

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
If the Smash Direct is our last batch of info, and 103 is all the stages in the base game, im gonna lower my expectations and expect...

*Late October/Early November Direct
-The direct begins with a Pokemon Newcomer
-Goes over some more character changes
-More New Echo Fighters (Dixie Kong, Shadow etc.)
-New Spirits Mode run down
-Skull Kid ends up being a Boss and a few others
-Ends off with Geno as the last character
-DLC in works for 2019 (Springman, Rex/Pyra)
yeah this is pretty much the closest thing I've seen to a reasonable guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom