• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
Just thought of somerhing. Kirby epic yarn did not have a bandana dee mode. It had king dedede and meta knight, but not him.guess nintendo still does not see him as important.

Zathura

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyZygarde
3DS FC
0404-6234-5785
Switch FC
SW-0485-3368-5894
Is there anyone that actually wants Ken? If Verge didn’t leak him, I bet no one would have him on their wish lists.
Yeah I love street fighter and the more buff men in smash the better, I want him for sure

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
I mean okay I don't really understand how you can find an almost comically weirdly-shaped and polygonal model sexy over a model that looks almost identical to an actual real woman but...that's your opinion I suppose, again you do you
It hasn’t aged well, but it was convincing enough back in the day. Obviously when I look back at those old ones now it’s more about the principle. Besides, what about the Legends “trilogy”?

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
It hasn’t aged well, but it was convincing enough back in the day. Obviously when I look back at those old ones now it’s more about the principle. Besides, what about the Legends “trilogy”?
I'm not a Lara Croft fan pal I don't really care about the Legends trilogy nor am aware of what it is, but again, I won't try to forcibly change your mind

Just thought of somerhing. Kirby epic yarn did not have a bandana dee mode. It had king dedede and meta knight, but not him.guess nintendo still does not see him as important.
To be fair, those have been the big 3 longer then Bandana Dee's been a thing really for a long time.

Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
At this point I'm thinking 2 newcomers and 4 echos which including echos rounds out to 80 characters. If I have to predict.

Uniques:
Geno
Incineroar

Echo Fighters:
Dixie Kong
Ken
Octoling
Shadow

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Japan sees her as more of a fashion model then an adventurer, likely due to seeing her in ads more then playing the games.
You know, now that you mention Lara's Japanese popularity, there is a point that I wanted to mentioned in regards to the icon arguments people use to support the idea of certain third-parties being likely. Namely that the arguments for certain third-parties don't take into account Japanese perceptions of characters that would be regarded as big time video game icons over there. I think this is actually a legitimate point to bring up since Sakurai's perception of video game icon status could naturally be heavily coloured by what's big in Japan, possibly meaning that the icon argument people use for the likes of Master Chief and Spyro wouldn't likely be a relevant reasoning for their hypothetical inclusion given how small a presence they have over in Japan.

Granted, it's not as if being an iconic is an actual rule for third-parties. This whole argument is more so to question whether or not a lot of third-party characters argued as icons would even be perceived as such by Sakurai. It's definitely something interesting worth discussing.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Smash Bros Ultimate truly is the best game.
These newcomers are incredible.

Skull Goomba.png

Look at my signature and say that again
Don't worry. People will always have the "if the leaker didn't say it the support wouldn't exist" mindset. I remember Ken talk from before Verg said anything. Lol.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Is there anyone that actually wants Ken? If Verge didn’t leak him, I bet no one would have him on their wish lists.
Don't confuse wish-list with prediction-list. I don't really need Ken in the game, but I trust Vergeben and considering he essentially said he was in, I'm always putting him in my predictions. I assume that's what most people do too.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
So the Tails vs Shadow wars have begun anew have they?

I think both are good choices personally as a second Sonic person for different reasons.

Imagine this, what if Tails gets the Isabelle treatment while Shadow is an Echo but with the Mewtwo recovery/teleport effects and whatever other flare

Or even the other way around. Both have quite a bit of evidence for inclusion at this point, that is very hard to refute.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Assuming Incineroar and Geno are the last newcomers announced for the base roster, and that there's going to be DLC, what characters do you think deserve to get in after the game's release?
Name your top 3 picks.
Skull Kid
Shantae
Paper Mario
Ryu Hayabusa
Shadow

Uh, not sure about the last choice. 4-way tie (Daroach, Skull Kid, Decidueye and I guess Vincent.)

StormC

Smash Hero
Ken has been heavily speculated since before Verge's leak, thanks to Richter confirming third party echoes are a thing.

I like him more than Ryu so it would be cool to have him.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero

I think both are good choices personally as a second Sonic person for different reasons.

Imagine this, what if Tails gets the Isabelle treatment while Shadow is an Echo but with the Mewtwo recovery/teleport effects and whatever other flare

Or even the other way around. Both have quite a bit of evidence for inclusion at this point, that is very hard to refute.
Not sure I'm aware of the evidence for Tails beyond a Mii costume?
I'd love to see him in, though.

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Not sure I'm aware of the evidence for Tails beyond a Mii costume?
I'd love to see him in, though.
Well his supporters seem to think he has a lot all of a sudden thanks to Isabelle so I’m just going off that tbh.

I’ve been told already by some fellow Sonic people that hoping for Shadow is moot now.

I’m just taking some frustration out with that x.x

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
I'm not a Lara Croft fan pal I don't really care about the Legends trilogy nor am aware of what it is, but again, I won't try to forcibly change your mind

To be fair, those have been the big 3 longer then Bandana Dee's been a thing really for a long time.
Then maybe don’t be stealth-judgemental towards people on topics you neither know nor care about? :p

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Well his supporters seem to think he has a lot all of a sudden thanks to Isabelle so I’m just going off that tbh.

I’ve been told already by some fellow Sonic people that hoping for Shadow is moot now.

I’m just taking some frustration out with that x.x
You should hope for Shadow even more now...what kind of logic is that? He's very likely. Keep your hopes up, as I am.

Then maybe don’t be stealth-judgemental towards people on topics you neither know nor care about? :p
I've been saying you do you for like 2 posts now man. Be yourself and have your own opinions, I just wanted to debate a little about it. No harm intended.

Last edited:

SonicMario

Smash Master

I'm not so sure about "wars" as that implies arguments of only one can get in over the other. Both could very well get in at one point or another even if one has to wait for DLC. With as you said, Shadow the echo and Tails the Isabelle-style clone.

If Isabelle means anything for Shadow like some have thought in Shadow's thread, the same can be said for Tails. And it's arguably more in Tails favor since Isabelle and Tails were both Mii costumes.

KingIceSonic

Smash Journeyman
Smash Bros Ultimate truly is the best game.
These newcomers are incredible.

View attachment 164263

Don't worry. People will always have the "if the leaker didn't say it the support wouldn't exist" mindset. I remember Ken talk from before Verg said anything. Lol.
Its not just because of leakers, info and hints play a role too. As soon as they announced echo fighters characters like Shadow and Ken got boosted and people started mentioning them more and more.

Noipoi

Howdy!
Since a certain crocodile with an eye infection joined the fray, I recently decided to play the first Donkey Kong Country, and I have a few notes.

-I hate Zingers. With the passion of a thousand suns.
-Also Necky. Screw Necky.
-And the Orangutans.
-The graphics are not nearly as good as they would have looked 20 years ago, but they have a retro charm to them.
-The game is hard and it makes me cry.
-Stop Go station makes me incredibly uncomfortable.
-I. HATE. MINECART LEVELS.
-K Rool's boss fight is so annoying. I keep trying to listen to his banger of a boss theme but then he starts summoning cannon balls like the fat prick he is.
-Cranky is hilarious.

All in all, I had a pretty good time with Donkey Kong Country. I'm currently playing Mario rpg (I adore Geno now) and after that I might play Super Metroid.

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
Imagine if they had a lone character reveal in Late September/Early to Mid October that also reveals the date of the next info dump, which will be a big pre release info blowout that'll come out sometime in November with not 1, not 2, but 3 reveal newcomer trailers with the reveals of the remaining echo fighters, and a teaser for a hidden unrevealed newcomer.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I'm not so sure about "wars" as that implies arguments of only one can get in over the other. Both could very well get in at one point or another even if one has to wait for DLC. With as you said, Shadow the echo and Tails the Isabelle-style clone.

If Isabelle means anything for Shadow like some have thought in Shadow's thread, the same can be said for Tails. And it's arguably more in Tails favor since Isabelle and Tails were both Mii costumes.
And Shadow was a full-out Assist Trophy. Don't get why it's tipping towards Tails.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
it will be cool if they give us a Smash Direct on october AND november :happysheep::halfsheep::emptysheep:
I mean it could happen… last year there was a focused direct on AC and Xenoblade on october and november… unless there is another big game aside of Smash this year, Smash could get reveals on both months. I don't know if something like LGPE could get a focused direct on october tho… who knows

Jedisupersonic

NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
You should hope for Shadow even more now...what kind of logic is that? He's very likely. Keep your hopes up, as I am.

I've been saying you do you for like 2 posts now man.
I do hope for Paper Mario too btw I see you supporting him all the time and PM64 and TTYD are two of my favorite Mario games, don’t think I ever said that for ya.

Yeah I’ll keep my hopes for Shadow up, it’s just weird all this Tails stuff coming up and trying to get me to jump on their bandwagon (not related to this thread).

Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
DLC then I expect were characters that didn't make the cut in base. I expect five uniques and five echos each which rounds out to 90 characters in total then.

Uniques:
Bandana Dee
Banjo-Kazooie or Rayman
Isaac
Rex & Pyra or Rhythm Heaven rep
Spring Man

Echo Fighters:
Black Knight
Felix
Impa
Medusa (Convinced Sakurai will throw in some form of bias)
Ribbon Girl

Sadly at this point I we may see Skull Kid as a boss apparently.

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I do hope for Paper Mario too btw I see you supporting him all the time and PM64 and TTYD are two of my favorite Mario games, don’t think I ever said that for ya.

Yeah I’ll keep my hopes for Shadow up, it’s just weird all this Tails stuff coming up and trying to get me to jump on their bandwagon (not related to this thread).
Means a lot my friend. I try to keep the PM dream alive. I'm very happy it's paying off even a little bit. PM64 and TTYD are 2 of my favorite games, well, ever! You have great taste.

Tails has recently come back out of the woodworks but I feel it's silly to place him over Shadow for Smash by any means.

The_Naraotor

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-1669-2956-1774
I would prefer more Metal Sonic as an Sonic Echo fighter than Shadow, though I think Shadow is more popular and also maybe we can have another Sonic level with Stardust Speedway from Sonic Mania +, and Metal Sonic can show up as boss hazard.

For the Lara Croft debate we can have a mix of the three Lara Design, Classic, Legends and Reboot.

Door Key Pig

Smash Lord
Sonic plus Tails as a semiclone and Shadow as an echo would make for a nice representation for the Sonic franchise with Knux as an assist and if Eggman's a boss, do ya think?

TeenGirlSquad

Smash Master
I feel like each of the three eras exemplifies the mindset behind female characters at the time. The original is obviously sexualized to high heaven, but is also depicted as more secure, experienced, and knowledgeable than the more recent incarnations, being similar to 90s "smart, strong, sex bombs" of the day, and taking more inspiration from classic heroes like Indiana Jones. I mean she has those round glasses to show you that she's smart or whatever. I would also say she comes off as the oldest of the three, if not by much.

The Legends version takes more inspiration from Angelina Jolie's sexpot incarnation, and is basically rendered as a bimbo who happens to raid tombs. Perfect representation of the PS3/Xbox 360 era of gaming.

And then the most recent one looks like she came out of a Naughty Dog game because I guess that's what we're doing now.

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace

I've been saying you do you for like 2 posts now man. Be yourself and have your own opinions, I just wanted to debate a little about it. No harm intended.
The tougue out was meant to imply an air of jest. I apologise for not being more explicit about it :)

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I doubt they'd choose reboot Lara. I mean, look what Pac-Man they chose.
:4pacman: This ain't no Ghostly Adventures :4pacman:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom