• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Skull Kid is iconic, though, for being the one who wears the mask.

He's even the special figure Nintendo released with Majora's Mask 3D, and there's no personality without Skull Kid.
IMO this is definitely a subjective matter but I do stand by my point.
The costume is not Skull Kid.
It's Majora's Mask.

Despite who wields it, the Mask was the customization chosen. Not a Skull Kid costume.
Also; he is still the main antagonist of the game. Seems obvious that they'd release his figure with the status he has.
That doesn't mean he equals Majora's Mask.

Zathura

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyZygarde
3DS FC
0404-6234-5785
Switch FC
SW-0485-3368-5894
I think a lot of people are sleeping on a Rhythm Heaven character for Ultimate. After all, the Ice Climbers were practically playable before getting scrapped. And the datamine and other aspects leads credence to the idea that they were almost implemented.
Also, Bowser Jr. was lucky to make it on the roster for Smash 4. But I'm willing to bet if he didn't make it in that time, he definitely would've been a newcomer for Ultimate.

I mean after all, they are largely using the framework and data from 4 for Ultimate. I don't think it's out of the question for them to implement them in this game.

As for other newcomers, I'm leaning on Elma, Ken, and maybe Tails. Not to mention a possible SE rep and Pokémon like Verge said, but those are too vague to accurately denote in my opinion.
The question I have for the Ken and Tails is if they're going to be considered echoes or unique characters roster wise?
Like I thought Isabelle would fit under the Echo description given all clones seemed to be noted as that, but that's not really the case anymore.
I wish more people thought like you

AugustusB

Smash Champion
So something has occurred to me as I have been thinking... Incineroar seems to me like how Chrom was speculated in Smash 4.
Not that I don't think he is in (but I mean...NVM) but with the lack of concrete evidence to support him, I feel we could witnessing another Chrom in the making.

If I remember correctly, back during Smash 4 speculation, people seemed convinced Chrom was a lock even the 'leaker' said so. Maybe I am remembering it wrong, but what does everyone think?

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
It's Majora's Mask.

Despite who wields it, the Mask was the customization chosen. Not a Skull Kid costume.
Also; he is still the main antagonist of the game. Seems obvious that they'd release his figure with the status he has.
To be fair, that’s kind of like saying Rathalos armor is not Rathalos himself. We’re splitting hairs. Thick hairs, but still hairs.
I do agree it’s predominantly a subjective matter, though.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
To be fair, that’s kind of like saying Rathalos armor is not Rathalos himself. We’re splitting hairs. Thick hairs, but still hairs.
I do agree it’s predominantly a subjective matter, though.
I don't really think that's a fair comparison?
Rathalos is obviously Rathalos.
Majora is very much its own entity. It is not Skull Kid.
But again, this is just me picking at one specific reason for Skull Kid I don't feel should be used when arguing its inclusion.

ErenJager

Smash Champion
yeah but that doesn't change anything lol, still a mii costume and definitely a full character AT that is still missing.
Well it's a bit of a nitpick for sure, but Isabelle and Skull Kid aren't in the exact same situation... Although very similar.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
So something has occurred to me as I have been thinking... Incineroar seems to me like how Chrom was speculated in Smash 4.
Not that I don't think he is in (but I mean...NVM) but with the lack of concrete evidence to support him, I feel we could witnessing another Chrom in the making.

If I remember correctly, back during Smash 4 speculation, people seemed convinced Chrom was a lock even the 'leaker' said so. Maybe I am remembering it wrong, but what does everyone think?
Another Chrom in the making? So whose Final Smash will Incineroar be part of?:troll:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
If they put that mask in with the intention of making it a Skull Kid costume, they would have included an actual Skull Kid costume like they did with everyone else. Instead they just opted for the mask on its own for some reason.

That said, you could argue that they would want Skull Kid in Ultimate just as a way to make the mask playable, but the costume in Sm4sh was clearly not meant to be for Skull Kid himself.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Lara Croft is literally an icon of video games and one of the most prominent and iconic female characters.
The only characters that you'd mention that would maybe please more people is Sora and Banjo given they may hold similar, if not slightly less, weight.
Like Geno and Isaac are completely dwarfed by her status and are completely unrecognizable to most people unlike her.
Plus...who wouldn’t want to see Lara Croft (be it the Original, Legends, or Reboot version of her) fight Samus Aran?

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I’ll comment more on this later, but I really, really think that anybody expecting over 72 unique characters in this game is setting themselves up for salt. I’m not even kidding.

We’re at 68 unique characters currently, and if Verge holds true (which I believe he will), we’ll at least get Incineroar as another unique character. I believe at the very least that we will get a solid 70. Combined, with echoes, we already have 74 different characters.

Now, i’d totally love it if we ended up with 80 characters on the base roster. But I simply don’t know that it’s likely to see more characters in the next two months than we’ve seen in the last two. I DO think DLC will be a thing, and we’ll get more characters.

However, when I see folks putting 76 unique characters on base roster WITH 5 more echoes? No way. That’s not happening on base roster, and you’re setting yourselves up for massive disappointment.

I’m not trying to be pessimistic, as I would really love to get a ton more. But i’d start hoping for a particular group of characters to be in.

All those Smashboards heavy hitters...well, not all of them will be in the base roster. I can tell you that much.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
It's Majora's Mask.

True; I was just thinking they could've just as easily released the Mask itself, on some sort-of fancy stand.

Though, still, the mask itself has no real personality; it just boosts the bad side of who's wearing it, so Skull Kid supplies it with character.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Anyone who thinks SKull Kid is comparable to a goomba is deluded.

There is only 1 Zelda game with more than 1 skull kid and it's only got a couple. None of them can be killed. The main skull kid in that game is the same one in all the rest of the games as well.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
I don't really think that's a fair comparison?
Rathalos is obviously Rathalos.
Majora is very much its own entity. It is not Skull Kid.
But again, this is just me picking at one specific reason for Skull Kid I don't feel should be used when arguing its inclusion.
See, that’s subjective.
Pieces of Rathalos are only ever used by Monster Hunter. I wouldn’t consider a set of his scales to be equal to him.
Majora’s Mask is only ever used by Skull Kid.
I wouldn’t consider the mask to be equal on it’s own, until the tendrils and such emerge.

They are different, no doubt. But again, we do agree it’s subjective.

Rathalos is Rathalos, but you don’t look at armor crafted from Rathalos and call it Rathalos.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I’ll comment more on this later, but I really, really think that anybody expecting over 72 unique characters in this game is setting themselves up for salt. I’m not even kidding.

We’re at 68 unique characters currently, and if Verge holds true (which I believe he will), we’ll at least get Incineroar as another unique character. I believe at the very least that we will get a solid 70. Combined, with echoes, we already have 74 different characters.

Now, i’d totally love it if we ended up with 80 characters on the base roster. But I simply don’t know that it’s likely to see more characters in the next two months than we’ve seen in the last two. I DO think DLC will be a thing, and we’ll get more characters.

However, when I see folks putting 76 unique characters on base roster WITH 5 more echoes? No way. That’s not happening on base roster, and you’re setting yourselves up for massive disappointment.

I’m not trying to be pessimistic, as I would really love to get a ton more. But i’d start hoping for a particular group of characters to be in.

All those Smashboards heavy hitters...well, not all of them will be in the base roster. I can tell you that much.
Would 72 complete Verge's thing about at least 6 more characters? It would right??
I feel it's important to point out that he said AT LEAST, though.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Please not the reboot version, she’s dull as dishwater ;)
True, but she’s got the looks and an accent...sure no pointy boobs and all that bad***ery the go and Legends versions have, but the accent

Chrono.

As for other newcomers, I'm leaning on Elma, Ken, and maybe Tails. Not to mention a possible SE rep and Pokémon like Verge said, but those are too vague to accurately denote in my opinion.
The question I have for the Ken and Tails is if they're going to be considered echoes or unique characters roster wise?
Like I thought Isabelle would fit under the Echo description given all clones seemed to be noted as that, but that's not really the case anymore.
Tails would definitely be a semi-clone at least, unique at most.

He straight up can't be an echo as he doesn't share proportions with Sonic and would need to change a couple moves Sonic does that would be impossible for him (Up-Throw being the most notable.)

Ken could go either way honestly. But I hope he isn't a full blown echo.

Last edited:

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
I'd say her Tomb Raider: Anniversary look would be the best.
Say that to my face ;)
True, but she’s got the looks and an accent...sure no pointy boobs and all that bad***ery the go and Legends versions have, but the accent
The reboot Lara is a total pansy. Metroid fans didn’t accept Other M, so why are TR fans accepting this lameass reboot version? Same thing, all wimpy and “realistic”.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Anyone who thinks SKull Kid is comparable to a goomba is deluded.

There is only 1 Zelda game with more than 1 skull kid and it's only got a couple. None of them can be killed. The main skull kid in that game is the same one in all the rest of the games as well.
my dude literally nobody seriously thinks that

it's okay
deep breaths

LoboRundas

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LoboRundas
3DS FC
4098-3496-0921
Switch FC
SW 6696 1795 2392
The reboot Lara is a total pansy. Metroid fans didn’t accept Other M, so why are TR fans accepting this ******* reboot version? Same thing, all wimpy and “realistic”.
Reboot Lara is an origin story, Other M is veteran Samus with completely obliterated characterization. Not the same at all.

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
Assuming Incineroar and Geno are the last newcomers announced for the base roster, and that there's going to be DLC, what characters do you think deserve to get in after the game's release?
Name your top 3 picks.
Skull Kid
Shantae
Paper Mario

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Plus...who wouldn’t want to see Lara Croft (be it the Original, Legends, or Reboot version of her) fight Samus Aran?
I think she would be a mix of both The original and the modern one... She would have her original outfit (Just More E10ed) and dual pistols, but with the design of the reboot Lara.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Assuming Incineroar and Geno are the last newcomers announced for the base roster, and that there's going to be DLC, what characters do you think deserve to get in after the game's release?
Name your top 3 picks.
Skull Kid
Shantae
Paper Mario
Any Rhythm Hevean Rep
Elma
Bandanna Waddle Dee

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Name your top 3 picks.
- Dovahkiin
- Tails
- Urbosa. Fine, Skull Kid, but I like Urbosa better.

Autobot N

Smash Apprentice

I would expect 3 more newcomers at most (given Verg's post-E3 prediction of "half a dozen or so" newcomers). And if there are only 3 newcomers left, then I would expect Incineroar, Geno, and either Isaac, Shantae, or Elma (Isaac seems the most likely, though). As for echoes, I think we'll get Shadow and Ken.

As for DLC, my predictions for the first three would be any combination of Elma, Shantae (assuming Isaac gets in over them), and an ARMS rep.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I wouldn't call reboot Lara "wimpy" considering the **** she goes through.
She takes falling onto a spike and having to remove it from her torso really well all things considered.
And that was just in the first reboot game right at the start.

Q-Long

Smash Lord
I wouldn't call reboot Lara "wimpy" considering the **** she goes through.
She takes falling onto a spike and having to remove it from her torso really well all things considered.
And that was just in the first reboot game right at the start.

Hey, a Majima avatar.

MAJIMA FOR SMASH!

KIRBY-CHAN!!!!~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom