• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
On the subject of realistic and cartoony characters.

If Brawl had a realistic style and Smash 4/Ultimate having a cartoony approach again.

What if the next Smash is anime-styled? (Not as in literal anime style but for aesthetic and visual wise.)
:confused:
That would be hilarious in terms of arguments.

>oh look, another anime swords--
>everyone IS anime, you ******!

Either that, or they'd go "Anime Ja Nai (This is not anime!)".

Last edited:

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
Instead of the usual what character you want question.

Who do you want to be in the next trailer? Personally, i wanna see Rosalina again in one
Sonic! The poor guy hasn't been in a CGI clip since he faced Tabuu, meanwhile Mega Man's been included in the CGI in like half of the trailers for the past four years!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I just don't see how Eevee could make for a good combatant. I love Eevee's design, but her whole combat appeal centers around evolving into various other forms. And unless Smash feels like completely changing how evolution works, that's a one-way trip. She can't become Jolteon, use cool electric attacks, then suddenly change to Vaporeon instead for a water-based moveset.
1- I never would recommend letting your imagination limit what you believe is possible. In Smash or in life.
2- I think the evolution 'gimmick' would make Eevee stand out. I've written about it a few times, but ultimatelt, let it evolve either once per life or once per game. The evolutions would just strengthen characteristics of Eevee while mostly sharing the same moves, retooled to the element. In fact, make it really unique, and only have certain evolutions available per stage/ style of play. Perhaps Glaceon is only available in courses with some sort of cold element. Perhaps Umbreon is only available if the course is in night mode. I think it would be a fantastic way to add variety to Smash.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
My hopes are pretty much:

1 newcomer that I’m at least mildly interested in

1 new 1st party game announcement that I can look forward too (Animal Crossing, Pikmin, Zelda, Mario Maker 2, a remake of anything really)

I don’t think that’s unrealistic.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
1- I never would recommend letting your imagination limit what you believe is possible. In Smash or in life.
Thank you for the life lesson, but I prefer to let cold hard logic dictate my actions.

Flynn__

Smash Journeyman
I'm so excited and nervous at the same time. Whoever is the character that gets announced don't be mad, I'm sure Sakurai knows what he's doing.

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
I actually want to make a discussion out of this

VS

I mean, they're both with the same gimmick, but which one tops out more than the other in terms of arbitrary likeliness? or is the winner based kyle
Well in all honesty, it's a hard choice imo. On the one hand Phoenix has 6 mainline games and then a bunch of spinoffs in his favor. Not to mention MvC3 showing his potential. His problem is he would be another Capcom rep when it's being speculated that Ken will be the 3rd and there are just other Capcom reps to compete against anyway.

Ayumi doesn't have the amount of games, popularity(as far as I know), but she would fit perfectly for a retro rep which seems to be a pattern and was considered before. If forced to answer I'd say Ayumi is more likely given I can't imagine Phoenix being picked over all of the other Capcom choices sadly.

Kyle Hyde is the true champion though.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Did you even read the time zone accompanied with the time?
Do you even know your own time zone?
Okay, I've been out of the loop today. I thought it would be earlier, but didn't pay attention to the time. That's why I thought I would miss it.

Edit: Eastern for me.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Who in the cast eats hotdogs?

And who of them prefer burger?

Burger: :ultbowser::ultbowserjr::ultfalcon::ultcloud::ultmewtwo::ultgnw::ultsimon::ultkingdedede::ultkrool::ultmario::ultluigi::ultyoshi::ultyounglink::ultzss::ultrob::ultrosalina::ultlucas::ultlittlemac:

Hotdog: :ultsonic::ultbayonetta::ultrichter::ultsnake::ultzelda::ultpikachu::ultpichu::ultpichu::ultganondorf::ultfox::ultfalco::ultduckhunt::ultwolf::ultmetaknight::ultvillager::ultness:

Haha,No: :ultwiifittrainer:

Last edited:

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
I'm so excited and nervous at the same time. Whoever is the character that gets announced don't be mad, I'm sure Sakurai knows what he's doing.
There's always going to be some people happy, some would be angry, some would be sad. They cant please everybody

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

As excited as I am for the character reveal, I'm also really excited to see what new Switch and 3DS games they have in store for us.

Nintendo's been on a roll since last year, I'd love to see them keep it up.

FantasyBlade

Smash Apprentice
I'm feeling like Incineroar or another Pokemon is most likely to be revealed, mostly because a Pokemon newcomer doesn't typically generate as much hype as most other newcomers, so it's more fitting for a general Nintendo Direct reveal. That being said, Skull Kid would totally not surprise me either after the not-so-subtle teasing in the Smash direct. And I feel like Isaac and Geno are still in the mix, too.

This is definitely gonna be an exciting direct, to say the least. And that's not even touching on games besides Smash.

Last edited:

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
I actually want to make a discussion out of this

VS

I mean, they're both with the same gimmick, but which one tops out more than the other in terms of arbitrary likeliness? or is the winner based kyle
As far as I can tell Phoenix is by far the more popular/iconic choice, and he's also been shown to have a pretty interesting moveset potential in UMVC3.

Thing is his series can be pretty silly/cartoony, ridiculousness fits his tone.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think the issue with making a character both an assist trophy / pokeball and a playable fighter is...why bother with the all the effort of a trophy or ball when they're already represented in a far grander way?

I could potentially see them releasing Waluigi as DLC, but I don't think they'd show off him or Eevee as assists first if they were going to make them playable.
Because it is Smash Ultimate, and some people will only know the character from previous Smash games.
Or perhaps for the reveal of the character.
I can postulate on 'why' for a long time, but it is ultimately conjecture.

Graizen

Smash Champion
HEY PEOPLE!
My last post here before the Direct!
So GOOD LUCK to everyone! I hope for the best for you all!

digimon-adventure-big-plush-agumon-434567.3.jpg

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
If we get two unique newcomers tonight, one of them is #69. I wonder who’ll have the honor of forever being marked with that number.

Not gonna lie, Bandana Dee with a giant 69 next to him would give me a little chuckle.
Bellsprout, a giant sucking Pokemon. Which evolves into none other than Victreebel.
I've never been able to see that as coincidence. Not as a gay boy and not as a gay man.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I always expect the worst when watching literally anything, so I do feel better when it doesn't go like that. That's how I feel about this for now.

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Almost an hour to go, in the meantime I'll go play some WarioWare Gold. See ya after the mayhem!

D

Deleted member

About an hour left. I think I'll go play some Starbound or something while I wait.

It's crazy to think we're getting closer to the final roster with each big Direct. I'm leaning towards there being two characters left after this one. As for when they'll be revealed...I'm still thinking late October. Pushing too late into November just doesn't sit right with me given preload data mining is gonna leak everything, but who knows?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Isn't it actually the opposite and that's why anime studios insert random CGI?
I wonder if making the entire series CGI is tougher, like with Bubuki Buranki.

As excited as I am for the character reveal, I'm also really excited to see what new Switch and 3DS games they have in store for us.

Nintendo's been on a roll since last year, I'd love to see them keep it up.
Still waitin' for a Super Mario 3D World port over here.

Hidan

Smash Apprentice
I predict that there will only be one character revealed, no echo fighter.

As for the character revealed? I'm anticipating someone first party since it's a Nintendo Direct and I assume we'll get third party characters from Smash Directs, so I'd honestly go with Skull Kid or a Pokemon Rep (Hoping for Decidueye, but it's likely to be Incineroar).

But if we aren't going with super overdone picks I'd really want someone out there like Chibi Robo.

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
Best case scenario would be a character unveiled at the start, an echo in the middle, and another character at the end.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom