• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
40 minutes to actual hype! Can not wait for this server to crash or screw up due to mass posting. But I'm happy at the peoples hyped!
Oh and 4chan is getting so crazy over this too!

Last edited:

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Remember in dark souls when you’re staring at a new fog wall....and you just aren’t sure if it’s a new area or a boss and you don’t have many flasks left?
You’re just standing there weighing your options because you don’t wanna lose your souls, but you also haven’t found a shortcut and you aren’t sure you remember the way back.
Good luck to everyone hoping for any character.
I’ll see you on the other side of the wall.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Not to rub it in anyone's faces, but it still feels weird going into a Direct without hoping for Ridley, and now there's not even K. Rool either. It really feels wide open, and I'm pretty much perfectly fine with anything.
It does feel really strange.... K. Rool was always that thought in the back of my head during ANY Nintendo Direct or Smash Bros video. To not have to worry anymore still feels jarring to say the least... I love it though. The rest of this beautiful game is simply icing on the cake, especially after you get what you've always wanted.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
So, I wonder if this thread would blow up if we got nothing. Just thinking about something, not guaranteed.

Taco Cruise

Smash Journeyman
Even if your most wanted doesn't get in this direct, there will be tons of people whose favorite video game character will be immortalized in Smash - for them I will be happy, as Ridley and K. Rool happened for me (1 and 2 of all time respectively)

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
It most likely will blow up! I can guarateen you this :)

Anyways, last call for your hopes and for what the chairs in the August Smash Direct is for!
Gardevoir (& Gothitelle)
Roll
Shantae
Hilda
Yarn Yoshi
Birdo
Tsareena
Type:Null/Silvally
Salazzle
Geno

May as well go nuts.

Last edited:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
To pass the time, I'm going to ask you all a question. Who's a character from a game you don't enjoy that you still would like to see in Smash Brothers?

For me it'd be Isaac. I gave Golden Sun a try before on Virtual Console but I just couldn't get into it. The cutscenes were slow, the combat didn't strike me as particularly interesting, they had a cool female character as a part of your starting party who gets transformed into a damsel in distress right off the bat, and the story just never got me that invested.

That said, I actually like swordsman archetypes from a gameplay and a design archetype and I know that Isaac will have enough of a twist on his moveset that he won't play like just another generic swordsy. I see him being more like Corrin in that he has some sword moves but also a lot of more unique ones that change the way he plays. Dare I say it, I think he'd be more unique then Cloud. I'm not all the familiar with Golden Sun music, characters from previously unrepresented franchises tend to bring at least a handful of tracks with them so I'd have that to look forward to as well.

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
I feel like my problem is that I like too many video games. Therefore, I will always be wanting more characters to appear in Smash. Not to say I will never be satisfied or anything like that, but when you like so many characters, you are always bound to have some slip through the cracks.

Conversely though, almost every newcomer reveal is an exciting endeavor for me, because most of the characters that get revealed are either characters I wanted or someone else close to me wanted. For example, my active newcomer wishlist for Smash 4 included Bowser Jr., Mega Man, Little Mac, Palutena, and Shulk. It probably would have included Greninja too if I had thought a Gen 6 Pokémon was in the cards. As a result, Smash 4’s roster was amazing for a guy like me! Pros and cons for everything, I guess.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
While we're all here, the poll :
Who is everyone expecting?

1st place (16 votes): Skull Kid
2nd place (12 votes): Isaac
3rd place (6 votes): Incineroar
4th place (3 votes): Elma, Bandana Dee
6th place (2 votes): Karate Joe, "Gen 7 Rep"
8th place (1 vote club): Banjo-Kazooie, Decidueye, Geno, Golisopod, KOS-MOS, Rayman, Shantae, Sora, Wonder-Red, Yarn Kirby

Will the popular vote make it in?
Will a lucky person in the 1 vote club make it in?

Or will Sakurai throw everyone a curveball?

We'll see in about half an hour.

Good luck, everyone!

Man, it feels like a poor man's lottery

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I'm gonna be straightforward. There's a few characters I'd be excited for, but there's also a few who would really disappoint me. I'll be happy if you get a character you like, but obviously I'm hoping whoever gets revealed is someone I wanted too. If not, I'll might be a little underwhelmed, but I'll just have to remind myself that I've been pretty spoiled so far with getting characters I wanted.

I don't think I or anyone else should feel obligated to act like they love a newcomer just as much as everyone else. You can voice your dissatisfaction. Just try to be polite about it if there are other users who actually wanted the newcomer.

D

Deleted member

HOOOO Baby the time is almost upon us!
The Youtube chat keeps repeating JoyconBoyz lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces

8th place (1 vote club): Banjo-Kazooie, Decidueye, Geno, Golisopod, KOS-MOS, Rayman, Shantae, Sora, Wonder-Red, Yarn Kirby

Good luck, everyone!

I don’t believe I voted in this poll, but just for the record, I’m throwing it out there that my newcomer prediction is Incineroar.

Iridium

Smash Hero

Good luck, everyone!

Can you still hold me accountable for that bet I tagged you for yesterday? I thought you would be very reliable.

KMDP

Smash Legend
To pass the time, I'm going to ask you all a question. Who's a character from a game you don't enjoy that you still would like to see in Smash Brothers?

For me it'd be Isaac. I gave Golden Sun a try before on Virtual Console but I just couldn't get into it. The cutscenes were slow, the combat didn't strike me as particularly interesting, they had a cool female character as a part of your starting party who gets transformed into a damsel in distress right off the bat, and the story just never got me that invested.

That said, I actually like swordsman archetypes from a gameplay and a design archetype and I know that Isaac will have enough of a twist on his moveset that he won't play like just another generic swordsy. I see him being more like Corrin in that he has some sword moves but also a lot of more unique ones that change the way he plays. Dare I say it, I think he'd be more unique then Cloud. I'm not all the familiar with Golden Sun music, characters from previously unrepresented franchises tend to bring at least a handful of tracks with them so I'd have that to look forward to as well.
The "cool female character who gets turned into a damsel in distress", Jenna, is part of the main of the main party of the sequel, which starts where the second game ends, you can transfer data from the first Golden Sun into the sequel (Lost Age), which is required for 100% completion.

Regardless, if you couldn't get into it, that's understandable, the plot of the first game is pretty... simple (though it is intricately worked out, there are things that happen in the first game which don't pay off until the end of Lost Age) and the class system doesn't start getting good until a little bit into the game (when you get enough Djinn to experiment with them).
---
Anyway, just half an hour to go! Wishing everyone luck for their favourites to get in! :grin:

Last edited:

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
I don't wanna come across as a downer, but IMHO, those who expect more than one fully unique newcomer are setting themselves up for disappointment. This isn't like E3 where Smash was THE game that was obviously meant to make the event, or the August Direct, which was Smash-only. The point I'm trying to make is Nintendo has been acting rather light when it comes to news that aren't Smash Ultimate updates (But hey, we most definitely aren't complaining about that!) in the past months, so they're probably want to focus on their Online and the remaining game of their fall-winter 2018 lineup they have yet to show (hoping for a Metroid Prime Trilogy remaster btw, just wanted to slip it somewhere) So yeah, I'm not banking on any more than a non-echo newcomer, and maaaaaaaaaybe an echo shoehorned in somewhere.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Can you still hold me accountable for that bet I tagged you for yesterday? I thought you would be very reliable.
Oof, I think I may have missed or forgotten that (I'm actively tracking Hurricane Florence on the side so my attention was a bit divided yesterday). But if you remind me then I'll be glad to.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

This place will probably turn into Crash Boards soon, so I'm gonna go ahead and hop off. I'll be back later for fun discussion stuff, so have fun with the Direct, everyone! I hope a character people like gets in. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom