• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Taco Cruise

Smash Journeyman
If Skull Kid is announced we'd be able to compare his render to the crazy amount of fake ones, maybe one was real all along and can prove a leak real.

FirestormNeos

Smash Lord
NNID
FirestormNeos
To help pass the time, from each of the companies that have third party characters in Smash already, who would you like to see from them?
Sega: Shadow the EDGEhog
Capcom: Dante (Devil May Cry)
Namco: Jun Kazama (Tekken)
Square Enix: 2B (Nier Automata)
Konami: Raiden or Quiet (MGS)

Instead of the usual what character you want question.

Who do you want to be in the next trailer? Personally, i wanna see Rosalina again in one
:ulttoonlink:, :ultjigglypuff:, or :ultwolf:

So, describe your reaction if for some reason there's no Smash newcomer announced in the direct.
"I was worried about my cellphone reception in the mountains for nothing? Very well, then."

Last edited:

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
So, describe your reaction if for some reason there's no Smash newcomer announced in the direct.
That would depend on what we get instead...

Shin Megami Tensei V, Bayonetta 3, Fire Emblem: Three Houses... there's tons of footage that could fill that void of hype, even from just currently announced games.

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
I remember when everybody was predicting 1 newcomer and 2 echoes at most in the august smash direct, and they gave us 2 newcomers and 3 echoes.

I'm also expecting 1 newcomer and 1 echo today, but who knows! maybe they surprise us again!

Gothitelle

Smash Journeyman
To help pass the time, from each of the companies that have third party characters in Smash already, who would you like to see from them?
For me,
Sega: Kazuma Kiryu (Yakuza)
Namco: Dark Souls character (Dark Souls)
Square Einx: 2B (Nier Automata)
Konami: Bill Rizir (Contra)
Sega: Ryo Hazuki (Shenmue)
Capcom: Protoman (Mega Man classic)
Namco: BlackRose (.hack//)
Square Enix: Kaine (Nier)
Konami: MGS2 Raiden (Metal Gear Solid)

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
There's been a couple I was like "huh?" or "what?" for, at least at first, and Pokemon and Fire Emblem characters just don't excite me, but none I've actively disliked. I remember some people were actually angry - ANGRY - at Wii Fit Trainer's reveal! Like, why?

So yeah. I like your attitude, and I'm on the same page.
It's hard to dislike something that has so much effort and attention put into it.

There were obviously characters I preferred less than others but in the end I wasn't against anyone's inclusion.

Sometimes I stumble upon comments on Twitter and on Smashboards with people straight out hating a character for no good reason.

And i'm like... why let all that negativity control your enjoyment of a triple AAA franchise?

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Okay, I was with you up until Shrek.

In a hypothetical world where Shrek actually gets into Smash Bros, I will legitimately flip out in a very negative way until I get banned.
Would Shrek be acceptable if it’s an Orc from World of Warcraft?

Dixie Kong

Smash Ace
Weird how last week I thought Skull Kid would be the most likely reveal, now I don’t even think he will be in the game, (:(:() and Isaac will be revealed.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
On the subject of realistic and cartoony characters.

If Brawl had a realistic style and Smash 4/Ultimate having a cartoony approach again.

What if the next Smash is anime-styled? (Not as in literal anime style but for aesthetic and visual wise.)
:confused:

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Yesterday I felt numb to the hype because we had all been waiting so long for this direct. But now that it's less then two hours away, I'm starting to feel more excitement then usual for the very same reason. It's only been about a week but it feels like we've been waiting for this for an eternity.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Ash is getting an Eevee in the anime. My money is going back to Eevee.
Eevee is already a pokeball.

Anyways, so Hau is finally coming along with potentially his Dartrix. I’m at least hoping/happy that Decidueye might appear in the anime for once.

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
For me,
Sega: Kazuma Kiryu (Yakuza)
Namco: Dark Souls character (Dark Souls)
Square Einx: 2B (Nier Automata)
Konami: Bill Rizir (Contra)
Sega: Tails (Sonic)
Capcom: Jill Valentine (Resident Evil)
Namco: Ivy Valentina or Sophitia Soulcalibur)
Square Enix: Agnes (or any character from Bravely Default)
Konami: Bomberman? hahaha

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
Made it just in time!

Let's get to down to businessssss...

For the the New...

Direct!

Last edited:

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars

If Brawl had a realistic style and Smash 4/Ultimate having a cartoony approach again.

What if the next Smash is anime-styled? (Not as in literal anime style but for aesthetic and visual wise.)
Get ready for Paper Smash Bros y'all

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Whoever the newcomer is, I just want to remind you all to keep an open mind. I'm not Greninja's biggest fan myself - the frog looks weird and its tongue scarf is gross - but I won't lie, they did a really good job at incorporating him into Smash Brothers.

I know there's a lot of people out there who really dislike Incineroar's design for whatever reason. That's fine. But if it is him, try to see what people like about him and try to be respectful about it. The same goes for Isaac - if you go in thinking he'll just be another "anime swordsman" that's what you're going to see.

Throwing a fit over a character you don't like isn't healthy for you and it certainly isn't healthy for the community as a whole. So whatever happens, even if it's Goku or Shrek or whoever else, remember that the game has over 70 other characters to play as and counting and not every one of them is going to realistically appeal to you. But they all have their own fans, so let them have it.
The last couple of directs have legitimately gotten me more excited than a fancy gala, traveling to new work-vacation cities, and filming a new TV show. This game has too much power over me.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Imagine the shock of a Pokeball Pokemon also being a playable character.

I mean it's not like there's only one Eeve in the world of Pokemon. Only certain Pokemon follow that logic.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Too bad Eevee's still just a pokeball item.
I legitimately have never seen that as a disqualifier.
I know I'm unique in this, and that's fine, but when we have characters that go in and out of the background stage element, or double as Bosses and items, I just don't see an issue.

I mean it's not like there's only one Eeve in the world of Pokemon. Only certain Pokemon follow that logic.
Only Arceus, I believe. We have multiple Mewtwos (somehow), and multiples of the mythics.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I legitimately have never seen that as a disqualifier.
I know I'm unique in this, and that's fine, but when we have characters that go in and out of the background stage element, or double as Bosses and items, I just don't see an issue.
It's the same with an AT becoming a fighter.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
It's not confirmed that Ash is getting Eevee. But, this topic is not suited for this thread.
This topic is more on point than this thread tends to be.
It's the same with an AT becoming a fighter.
To me, yes it is. I do not see it as a disqualifier. Again, I'm aware most do see it as such.

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475

They could make AT playable too. Just make the AT version of the character unavailable when the character is being played (?)

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
People: It HAS to be Skull Kid!
Also People: It HAS to be Isaac!
Also People: It HAS to be Incineroar!
Me:

You mean like a comic book approach of katakana/onomatopoeia or just like gundam smash bros ft. goku from dragon ball z

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
They could make AT playable too. Just make the AT version of the character unavailable when the character is being played (?)
Or replace it with a duplicate AT.
Or change the color. Maybe just the outfit.
Or just leave it be. It's no more confusing to see 8 Luigi's battle than it would be to have one battle and one as an Item.

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
I'm waiting for that curveball character like Ayumi Tachibana (Or Phoenix Wright along with a GS7 announcement)

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
Ash is getting an Eevee in the anime. My money is going back to Eevee.
I just don't see how Eevee could make for a good combatant. I love Eevee's design, but her whole combat appeal centers around evolving into various other forms. And unless Smash feels like completely changing how evolution works, that's a one-way trip. She can't become Jolteon, use cool electric attacks, then suddenly change to Vaporeon instead for a water-based moveset.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Side note: I would dig it if the cut-scenes in a potential story mode were like Palutena's reveal trailer. Seems cheaper than 3D CGI, but still look awesome.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I think the issue with making a character both an assist trophy / pokeball and a playable fighter is...why bother with the all the effort of a trophy or ball when they're already represented in a far grander way?

I could potentially see them releasing Waluigi as DLC, but I don't think they'd show off him or Eevee as assists first if they were going to make them playable.

Beatrice

Smash Cadet
I think this would be a good opportunity to reveal a retro character. iirc, one of the talking points for this direct is the online service coming out which gives access to NES titles. It'd be an easy segue to reveal a retro character in smash, which is one of the main selling points of the service.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
I think this would be a good opportunity to reveal a retro character. iirc, one of the talking points for this direct is the online service coming out which gives access to NES titles. It'd be an easy segue to reveal a retro character in smash, which is one of the main selling points of the service.
Super Mario RPG with online co-op.

Geno revealed.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I say if we get a retro it should be Ayumi being Sakurai considered her for Melee.

Though some says Sable Prince might be the one speculating due to not being seen as an assist yet.

Last edited:

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
A shrug.

Regardless of how great Smash ends up being or not being, Nintendo needs to appeal to potential customers who don't care about Smash. Honestly, I'm surprised we got a Smash-only direct so soon after a nearly Smash-only E3.

I think people here are expecting too much from a direct that's supposed to be about all of Nintendo's other games they want to show. I'd be satisfied with only one newcomer, or an info dump of online features for the game.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
If we get two unique newcomers tonight, one of them is #69. I wonder who’ll have the honor of forever being marked with that number.

Not gonna lie, Bandana Dee with a giant 69 next to him would give me a little chuckle.

Airin

Smash Rookie
I just don't see how Eevee could make for a good combatant. I love Eevee's design, but her whole combat appeal centers around evolving into various other forms. And unless Smash feels like completely changing how evolution works, that's a one-way trip. She can't become Jolteon, use cool electric attacks, then suddenly change to Vaporeon instead for a water-based moveset.
Weeeeeeellll.... there's the Manga Eevee from red.
The weird genetic Ditto Eevee that decided to go Espeon i think

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm waiting for that curveball character like Ayumi Tachibana (Or Phoenix Wright along with a GS7 announcement)
I actually want to make a discussion out of this

VS

I mean, they're both with the same gimmick, but which one tops out more than the other in terms of arbitrary likeliness? or is the winner based kyle

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom