• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Majora's Visage

Smash Journeyman
I wonder how close to release our last reveal will be. Shulk was revealed two months nefore Smash 3DS's release but there were still two more newcomers unrevealed(Duck Hunt and Bowser Jr.) as secret unlockables. This time, we don't have sevret fighters, all will be revealed prior to release so will we know everything about the game in November already(or hell, maybe even October to make double sure nothing leaks) or will Sakurai play it risky and save something for as long as he can(as in, before review copies are sent out)?
I think early November will probably be it. A month before the release seems good to reveal the entire roster and evetything

Chrono.

I want to play Richter because I get a Subzero vibe from him if you consider Simon to be Scorpion. As such, Simon is my least anticipated char to play (down there with Ridley).
K Rool looks fun, Daisy is who I play in every party game she's playable in so I'm excited to use her, and Chrom & Dark Samus are in the "alright" category.
Kinda funny cause story-wise Richter is more of a Scorpion while Simon is Sub-zero. :p

Not that it matters here anyways just felt like pointing it out.

domriver

Smash Lord
So are we pretty much on the same page regarding the next smash dedicated direct will be the last? If thats the case then regarding this direct I think we will see 1 newcomer 2 echos, 2 newcomers 1 echo or (unlikely but possible) 2 newcomers and 2 echos. For the Final direct I think we will get the final newcomers (obviously) that will be either 2 or 3 and some more echos. The mysterious icon will be explained and revealed. Last of the Assist Trophies more music more stages. Trophy show casing and im not sure what else anything else that Ultimate has to offer. What you guys think?

Last edited:

Raspberry

Smash Journeyman
Would you prefer having a newcomer revealed tomorrow and that's it for a month or having nothing revealed tomorrow, but having a Smash-focused Direct in two weeks with much more material, yet announced only the day before its broadcast?

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
A bit of a reach to assume that much, but if we only get one newcomer I do think it makes Geno a somewhat unlikely reveal for tomorrow, as I don't think their original plan was to reveal two Mario songs in a row, I have a hard time seeing why they'd upload the Fortress boss song so close to his reveal if they also want to upload a SMRPG track along with him. Of course if another newcomer is revealed on top of him, like a Pokémon, then that becomes a total non-issue as it could just take up the music spot instead, but I'm personally only expecting one reveal, and either way I expect Geno as one of the very last reveals anyways.
I'm expecting a Pokémon newcomer for two reasons. One, because we haven't gotten any remixes yet, and that makes me think we'll get a Sun/Moon remix to tie in with a Gen VII newcomer. Two, because I don't think a Pokémon newcomer is a reveal Sakurai would want to wait much longer on. They're exciting, yes, but usually not a character who most people actively want. Pokemon are divisive to say the least.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm excited for all the newcomers so far. The one with the least investment to me is Chrom but I'm happy for his fans.

My picks for the ballot were Krystal and Dixie Kong along with spreading the good word about Shantae and one of those didn't work out, let's see how the other two do.

D

Deleted member

*Sees Direct announcement*

Still thinking Pokemon for Smash stuff. As for non Smash stuff, I wouldn't be surprised to see another 3DS remaster get announced.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
So the Direct is still 35 minutes like they said it was last time. So that means it will largely be unchanged!

I was worried for nothing.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Would you prefer having a newcomer revealed tomorrow and that's it for a month or having nothing revealed tomorrow, but having a Smash-focused Direct in two weeks with much more material, yet announced only the day before its broadcast?
I really don't want to see what will become of this thread if there's no reveal tomorrow. Might as well lock it to prevent the insanity if that was the case.

monadoboy

Smash Lord
Newcomers?
:ultchrom:: I love it. So far, Chrom making it in is what cements this game as truly Ultimate/Special for me. Not only is the Awakening trio complete, but he gets his chance, making the Robin/Lucina trailer even better.
:ultrichter::ultsimon:: They look interesting, and Castlevania is iconic and closely related to Nintendo, so they don't look out of place like Cloud (I love Cloud and he's my favorite third party, but there's barely anything connecting him to Nintendo/Smash).
:ultridley:: It's awesome he's in, but nothing about him makes me want to play him for more than Classic/etc. and a few matches.
:ultinkling:: The least surprising thing ever. They bring new stuff to the game, so I'll play them occasionally, maybe. Also their drop kick aerial looks fun.
:ultdarksamus:: She looks cool, I guess. I'm not a fan of the Primes at all, but she makes a lot of sense and gives Metroid a fair number of characters
:ultkrool::ultdaisy:: Happy for their fans, but not that interested. I guess I'd play K.rool for a few "For Fun" matches and Classic/etc. but no more than that.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
The fact that the Pikmin song got pulled ahead to this week makes me think that the new character to be revealed tomorrow is from a franchise that doesn't already have playable characters.
Is that with that whole numbers in the website code thing?
Can someone fill me in on that?

domriver

Smash Lord
A full packed smash direct with lots of character reveals. NO! We must receive these precious reveals at a safe pace. 2 is enough. Anymore Nintendo can cause heart attacks/ faints all over the world if they do ALOT. Lots of keyboards will have to be replaced. lol

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Newcomer reactions:

:ultinkling: - Glad to have a new franchise represented, and they're definitely noteworthy, but not really my type of game/character
:ultdaisy: - Seems like a waste of a spot/needless padding
:ultridley: - Hype levels through the roof!!! (although the realistic design took some getting used to)
:ultsimon: - Excited! Another cool new franchise added.
:ultrichter: - No idea who this was, and seems like another bit of needless padding, but I don't hate him
:ultchrom: - Happy to see him "get his chance", even if he's another FE clone
:ultdarksamus: - Hyped! A tiny bit of squandered move potential, but they did a great job with what they could and I'm pumped to have the two biggest Metroid villains in one go!
:ultkrool: - YES! Wasn't sure it would happen, but I'm very excited to have him!

Overall this is probably one of the best crops of newcomers in a Smash game for my tastes

AndreaAC

Ridley's Propaganda Artist
Let's play that game from a few pages ago:

I'm excited about :ultkrool::ultsimon::ultdaisy::ultridley:
I find nice to see :ultdarksamus::ultinkling::ultrichter:
I couldn't care less about :ultchrom:
Oohh, let me try:

HOLY **** IT FINALLY HAPPENED, I'M ALL OVER JUPITER WHILE SHEDING TEARS OF JOY AND SQUEALING::ultridley: (Obviously :p)

I find nice to see: :ultdaisy::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultdarksamus: (Because friends of mine wanted them)

Nice they made it in, but not interested: :ultkrool::ultinkling: (I have no attachment to the DKC series, therefore not to K.Rool, never played Splatoon, but I like Marina's design)

Couldn't care less: :ultchrom: (I like Ike)

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Excited for: :ultrichter::ultsimon::ultinkling::ultchrom:
Neutral towards: :ultridley::ultkrool::ultdarksamus:
No thanks, I'm good: :ultdaisy:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
My reactions to the newcomers
:ultinkling: Oh wow literally nobody expected that
:ultdaisy: NOOOOOOOOOOOOO
:ultridley: FJJJXSHGDSBGTEJ *cackles like a maniac before nearly fainting, caused noise complaints from neighbours*
:ultsimon: Yoooooooo he looks sick
:ultrichter: GodDAMN is he hot
:ultchrom: He looks off but wow!
:ultdarksamus: Nooooo I wanted her to be unique! Animations are cool as hell though
:ultkrool: Huh he made it in after all

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm expecting a Pokémon newcomer for two reasons. One, because we haven't gotten any remixes yet, and that makes me think we'll get a Sun/Moon remix to tie in with a Gen VII newcomer. Two, because I don't think a Pokémon newcomer is a reveal Sakurai would want to wait much longer on. They're exciting, yes, but usually not a character who most people actively want. Pokemon are divisive to say the least.
Agreed, at the same time a General Direct is a great place to announce a Pokémon newcomer due to the wide appeal of the series, when we're talking guys like Geno and Isaac they feel a bit more relevant in Smash specific presentations, because they're almost exclusively talked about in relation to that these days. I also think it's time for us to get a newer character, aside from Chrom the last Smash Direct was basically nostalgia fuel throughout, and I think Sakurai cares a lot about trying to appeal to old and young audiences alike, so he doesn't want the younger fans to be let hanging for too much longer.

I'm pretty sure we'll get the Pokémon tomorrow, there are quite a few things that make it feel like the most likely thing to happen.

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I don't think I could ever feel that kind of misery because it is an incredible non-issue to me (sorry), and there's not much Soccerguy could do to make me groan or anything at this point so I'm just along for the ride.
I liked other m. The story was bad, but overall i really enjoyed it. Could have tweaked it a bit and made a better product, but for what it was, i liked it.

As for 3rd parties, stilk holding for goemon.

DutchPichu

Smash Journeyman
Agreed, at the same time a General Direct is a great place to announce a Pokémon newcomer due to the wide appeal of the series, when we're talking guys like Geno and Isaac they feel a bit more relevant in Smash specific presentations, because they're almost exclusively talked about in relation to that these days. I also think it's time for us to get a newer character, aside from Chrom the last Smash Direct was basically nostalgia fuel throughout, and I think Sakurai cares a lot about trying to appeal to old and young audiences alike, so he doesn't want the younger fans to be let hanging for too much longer.

I'm pretty sure we'll get the Pokémon tomorrow, there are quite a few things that make it feel like the most likely thing to happen.
Oh man please let that Pokémon be Decidueye or Lycanroc so Vergeben gets deconfirmed (pleeeasee)

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
The fact that the Pikmin song got pulled ahead to this week makes me think that the new character to be revealed tomorrow is from a franchise that doesn't already have playable characters.
Oh i got the same feeling! Golden Sun o Xenoblade or both please

D

Deleted member

Wow, a Direct for things that were already revealed, i'm so excited
Nothing leaked except Civ, though...

As for my newcomer reactions...:

HYPE:
:ultinkling: *Screams in Woomy*
:ultkrool: *Won't stop playing Finest Hour and making DK64 jokes*
:ultdarksamus: "Finally, a eldritch jellyfish abomination in a suit. Just what I've always wanted! :D"

Oh, cool!:
:ultridley: "I wanted more Metroid, he's from Metroid. Acceptable."
:ultdaisy: "It ain't Waluigi, but it'll do."
:ultsimon::ultrichter: "Didn't want it at first, but that trailer convinced me. Maybe I'll try some of their games sometime..."

Meh...:
:ultchrom: "EVERY MARTH IS HERE!"

y tho:

None yet, but Incineroar or Ken would probably go here if they happen.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
:ultinkling:
Expected, deserved

:ultdarksamus:
Really wanted it, but srsly? Should not have been a lazy clone

:ultkrool:
The greatest oversight has been rectified

:ultridley:
Erm...I'm happier the Ridley fussing is over, I honestly think he's uninteresting as a villain and way too overused in Metroid. Fine with his inclusion.

:ultchrom:
Too little too late, I've moved on

:ultsimon:
Didn't think I cared, but I came around and I'm happy with his inclusion and his transition into SSBU

:ultrichter:
I never played any Castlevania game with him, so I have little interest in him, and I just see "blue Simon" as a result. Maybe if I got to know him in his games...

:ultdaisy:
Couldn't give a s&#%...

:ultkrool: and :ultsimon: are the ones I'm happiest with
:ultridley: and :ultinkling: I'm positive on
:ultdarksamus: is in a weird spot; DS and K. Rool were huge wants for me, but DS feels disappointing
:ultrichter: and :ultchrom: I feel indifferent towards
:ultdaisy: Is filler...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Oh man please let that Pokémon be Decidueye or Lycanroc so Vergeben gets deconfirmed (pleeeasee)
Why just those two?

It can be any of the 800+ other ones besides Incinaroar to disprove it.

Silvally could still surprise us.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I'm not sure where the idea that we're gonna get a new mode (spirits) shown off tomorrow comes from..

Not to be negative but moreso realistic.. it's a Nintendo direct, focused around all games. Not a Smash focused direct. I can genuinely see them going over most titles that are scheduled to come out, plus the Nintendo online that everyone is waiting to hear about.

It seems most reasonable to presume they're going to leave Smash for the end of the direct, with a character/newcomer trailer. Not everyone watching the direct is going to be a Smash fan - yes a huge percentage will, but it makes more sense to get into the nitty gritty of Smash when ONLY a Smash audience is watching.
What's the point of showing off Spirits or a completely new game mode to an audience that doesn't even intend on buying Smash? This seems like a mode they would show off for the fans that are specifically tuning into the Smash directs.

Much like how there was a Splatoon Direct, Xenoblade Direct, Pokemon Direct, Fire Emblem direct.. etc..... In these directs, they go more in-depth about modes and certain details in each specific game.
And presuming that at least 2 more Smash directs await us prior to release, I don't see them showing off anything more than a newcomer here.

Just my personal take.
I legitimately cannot see us getting *any* info on Spirit/the blurred mode.
I suspect some characters. That's about it. The focus of this direct is nearly guaranteed to be online mode, and we are getting Smash info to make sure we subscribe to the online.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I think I've done this before, but whatever.

Super-excited: :ultridley::ultkrool: - along with Snake coming back, they were my most-wanted characters by a LARGE margin.

Interested: :ultinkling::ultrichter::ultdarksamus: - Inkling was expected, but great to see in action. I enjoyed Symphony of the Night (both the Alucard and Richter playthroughs) way more than the classic Castlevania games, so if I focused on one Castlevania character, it would be Richter. Ridley was already a great surprise, and Dark Samus is an added bonus; I felt that Metroid had been neglected in Smash Bros., so it was great to see that turning around.

No strong feelings one way or the other: :ultsimon::ultchrom: - 90% of my familiarity with Fire Emblem comes from Awakening, but Chrom was the least interesting of the main characters to me. I associate Simon's games with frustration rather than anything positive, though the historical significance makes his inclusion worthwhile.

Mild annoyance: :ultdaisy: - HI I'M DAISY! She will be forever associated with that Mario Kart Double Dash clip in my mind.

TheKnight

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3539-9322-9633
Switch FC
SW-2614-3733-6607
Why just those two?

It can be any of the 800+ other ones besides Incinaroar to disprove it.

Silvally could still surprise us.
I don’t like that people have settled on Incineroar, Decidueye, or Lycanroc. There are so many other options, even within gen 7.

TumblrFamous

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW-8429-6803-3691
My rankings:

1.:ultdaisy:: I love Daisy already, and I'm already a Peach main, so I'll definitely play her the most.
2.:ultkrool:: Obvious want
3.:ultrichter:: I liked Simon, but I like Richter more cuz he's cuter
4.:ultridley:: Another obvious want
5.:ultdarksamus:: This was my first thought when I heard about echoes for the first time. She seemed perfect.
6.:ultsimon:: Simon is solid, I loved Castlevania.
7.:ultinkling:: Obvious, I didn't hype for them as much, but their gameplay is solid.
8.:ultchrom:: I like Chrom, but I'm just not as hyped. Happy for his fans though.

I'm pretty satisfied with the newcomer list so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom