• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Majora's Visage

Smash Journeyman
I'll stand by it until proven wrong. Anyone who can call K.Rool when he was never guaranteed/obvious seems fishy to me. Like they knew it already. K. Rool was in every leak under the sun, but he was also in quite a few in Smash 4 and didn't happen.

We'll see where this goes. I hope he is right. Skull Kid is my #1 now that Rool has miraculously arrived.
Agreed people who say Ridley and King K. Rool were "safe" choices are full of it and are pulling the old "they were always likely" card when talking about hindsight

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
Oh, also, very personally, I'd like to see something about Luigi's Mansion 3. It's been sorta teased? during Simon reveal, and I want to know what it's all about.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Isabelle Echo confirmed!
That's part of my thought process, but also I have less confidence in that.
It would be a good time for that though:
Time to reiterate my prediction that Animal Crossing will be revealed tomorrow followed by Isabelle as a fighter followed by [Smash Information Segment] followed by "but wait here's a unique fighter"

Considering my track record of approximately predicting things, one of those things will be kinda wrong. Which one is it, I wonder.

D

Deleted member

I finished Isaac earlier this week so here is Geno.
Geno
Geno lends a hand!

Tagline: Star-sent Savior

Geno is a doll possessed by a warrior from Star Road to fight Smithy and his gang. It aids Mario and the rest in liberating Bowser’s Keep and restoring Star Road.

Why Geno?: Like Isaac, Geno has enjoyed tremendous support throughout the years. Not to mention he was probably had a large amount of votes on the ballot. Geno also represents both Square as well as SMRPG which was a defining moment in Mario history.

Benefits: Besides making Geno fans happy, its inclusion also brings back SMRPG back into relevancy with a potential stage, music, and Assist Trophy should the staff feel its deserving of one. Mallow could potentially serve as a an Assist Trophy and a stage could possibly be Rose Town, Forest Maze, Factory, or Star Hill. In addition, further benefits to existing characters could be a Boshi alt for Yoshi.

Game Play
I would envision Geno to play similar to Mario in terms of size and weight with a bit more speed and range. It would obviously be more focused on projectiles. Its normal attacks has a wider range with many utilizing his dual guns. One of Geno’s defining characteristics is player-controlled interactions by having to press a button to increase the damage down at the right time.

Neutral Attack: Geno releases a short blast of energy which can transition into an infinite jab and then a jab finisher.

Forward Tilt: Uses one hand and fires off a short burst from his arm gun which hits multiple times.

Up Tilt: Performs a quick uppercut while jumping slightly.

Down Tilt: Takes both arm guns and fires off a single body downwards which causes a star explosion.

Neutral Aerial: Geno twirls while in the air which releases star energy from his two guns.

Forward Aerial: Does several flips while moving forward and releases star energy blasts from his guns.

Back Aerial: Performs a double drop kick that has a sweetspot at the feet.

Up Aerial: Raises his arm and fires several blasts above him.

Down Aerial: Takes his hands and releases a concentrated short ranged blast directly downward.

Pummel: Performs a head butt

Forward Throw: Geno takes the opponent and performs a double blast from his arm cannons.

Back Throw: Jumps backwards while holding the opponent and blasts them down to the ground behind him which causes a ground bounce.

Up Throw: Geno transforms into a catapult and shoots the opponent high up into the air.

Down Throw: Geno pushes the opponent down and performs a double blast with his arm cannons.

Side Smash: Geno delivers a single powerful double energy burst at an uncharged state. Fully charged is a one-two-three burst combo.

Up Smash: Transforms into its star form and shoots upward; slamming into the opponent while releasing star power before descending back down and returning to its normal form.

Down Smash: Takes both arm cannons and fires them twice on both sides of him resulting in four distinct blasts.

Neutral Special Geno Beam: Geno releases an energy beam that travels across the stage. Holding down the button causes one of three stars to appear which increases the damage dealt but also increases the starting lag.
  • Custom #1 Quick Geno Beam: It’s quicker with less time to to charge but also is weaker.
  • Custom #2 Auto Geno Beam: Simoly tapping the neutral button will initiate the charge. Press neutral again to fire.
Side Special Geno Whirl: Geno fires a whirling disc of energy which travels down a single path. It does below moderate damage when it makes contact but pressing Side Special again upon impact with the opponent causes it to explode; dealing even higher damage.
  • Custom #1 Lucky Geno Whirl: It’s easier to time the explosion of the whirl but lacks power.
  • Custom #2 Geno Wrath: Deals a much larger and damaging explosion but is slower.
Side Up Special Geno Cannon: Geno transforms into a cannon and fire himself into the air at an angle before descending back down. The initial explosion upon firing can damage opponents as well as the initial push upwards though by the time of the arch, it won’t damage opponents.
  • Custom #1 Gunpowder Cannon: Shooting GRon out causes a large explosion with more damage.
  • Custom #2 Aiming Geno Cannon: Geno can influence the trajectory by moving the Cannon up or down by tilting the control stick and holding down the special button. Releasing it releases Geno.
Down Special Geno Blast: Geno releases three beams which crash down in a single line, about a quarter of FD. They don’t deal much damage but it causes hit stun. Timing an Up Special button press right at the moment of impact does higher damage than before.
Custom #1 Solo Geno Blast: Fires a single much larger Beam in from of Geno which deals more damage.​
Custom #2: Distant Geno Blast: Instead of it being in front of Geno, it’s at least seven spaces in front of him instead.​

Final Smash Geno Flash: Geno transforms into its cannon form and releases a red orb that arches into the sky and crashes down to the stage; exploding in a sun-shaped blast that rotates; juggling damage and exploding a bit like a Smart Bomb. The attack can increase in size his the special button is mashed prior to the cannon firing the orb.

Codecs
:ultpit: Who's the pipsqueak?
Viridi: That’s none other than Geno!
:ultpit: Geno? Sounds like a pizza place. Welcome to Geno’s! Can I take your order?
:ultpalutena: Not exactly. A while ago, Mario found himself allying with Bowser to defeat a common foe.
:ultpit: Wow! Talk about something happening once in a blue moon.
:ultpalutena: Mario was joined by Bowser, Princess Peach, and the tadpole prince, Mallow and Geno.
Viridi: You can count Geno as being one of Mario’s trusted allies.
:ultpalutena: That’s right. He may not have many appearances in Mario games but he is integral to that story.
:ultpit: I see. Mario’s friend, check. But what makes him so special?
Viridi: See his hands? They can transform into cannons that releases powerful star power.
:ultpit: Wow! That’s pretty convenient...until you want to actually use your hands.
Viridi: And how do you use your hands when holding your bow?
:ultpit: Uh, I put it down.
Viridi: My point exactly.

:ultsnake: Colonel. I seem to be fighting some sort of….puppet
Colonel: That’s no puppet, Snake. It’s a doll.
:ultsnake: Doll...puppet...same thing...but why is it moving?
Colonel: Hmmm...well, scannings show that it actually has a lifeforce inside of it.
:ultsnake: A life force….and?
Colonel: It doesn’t seem to have a name...or one we would recognize. Appears altogether alien to this world.
:ultsnake: That’s surprising considering I have been fighting space dragons, witches, giant gorillas, and a penguin with a hammer.
Colonel: Scanners show it possesses power unlike anything before. It’s….astounding.
:ultsnake: Colonel...this isn’t helping.
Colonel: Wait...Snake...searching through our multiverse database...we found its name.
:ultsnake: And what’s its name?
Colonel: Geno
:ultsnake: …….Geno?!.......You gotta be kidding me.

Additional Info

On-Screen Appearance: Geno’s doll body is already there and a star falls down and enters into it; bringing the doll to life.

Taunts:
  1. Geno shimmers and sparkles with star energy.
  2. Geno jumps up slightly while looking happy.
  3. Geno shakes his head up and down, right to left quickly.

Victory Animations:
  1. Geno’s star spirit leaves its body which causes to slump down to the ground with the spirit ascending into the air and twirling about the now lifeless doll.
  2. Geno adjusts his hat and then holds out his arm showing his arm cannon exposed.
  3. Geno spreads his arms showering in front of him with star energy.
Assist Trophy: Mallow: Mallow appears and could take out his cymbals and start banging them; sending out shockwaves like DK’s old Final Smash.

Stage: As mentioned before, I think that the following would be good rep stages.

Rose Town: A quiet town full of Toads and where Geno comes to life.
Forest Maze: Where Geno goes after awakening and is full of SMRPG monsters.
Star Hill: a place where wishes are asked which might be a fun game mechanic.
Factory: Where Smithy crafts his weapons.

Music:

Victory Theme:

Either this....

Or this...

Trophies:

Kirby Hat: Geno hat and nose and uses Geno Beam which comes from his arms.

Palette Swap:

View attachment 163545

Blue: default
Green: Mallow
Red: Mario
Yellow: Smithy
Pink: Princess Peach
White: -
Cyan: -
Black: -

Potential Trailer and Closing

The trailer opens up with a view of a child’s bedroom. The camera pans across the wall which has various posters for various Nintendo retro games including Ice Climbers, Star Tropics, Mach Rider, Mario Bros., and Legend of Zelda. It then moves to a t.v. with SNES connected to it with Street Figther II: New Challengers ready to play. The camera then moves across the bed stand where a gameboy color is left with a Pokemon Yellow game cartridge is left. The camera then pans across the neatly made bed and several stacks of actual Nintendo Power magazines are seen.

The camera then slowly swoops to a book case and a game guide for Super Mario RPG: The Legend of the Seven Stars is seen. Scrolling down, the camera then retreats back seeing stuff toys of Mario, Donkey Kong, Peach, Yoshi, Link, Pikachu, Samus, and Ness. The camera focuses on Mario’s face and, in the distance, various sound clips of Mario in a Smash battle can be heard. The camera focuses on each toys face with similar faint battle sounds.

Afterwards, the camera pans up to a nearby table and lurking over it is a mobile Bowser toy with glowing red eyes along with Ganondorf and Mewtwo. Bowser jumps down from the table and smashes Yoshi’s head. Mewtwo tosses Ness out of a window; breaking it. Ganondorf takes Link and Donkey Kong and smashes their heads together. Bowser punches Mario which sends him flying into an open toy chest which closes afterwards.

Samus is helpless as the trio of mobile stuffed villains make thier way to terrorize Peach when, suddenly, the lid to the toy box is blasted open and a blue blue arrives by putting itself between Peach and the villains. The villains look unimpressed before the camera focuses on the figure.

Aye Geno splash

Geno smirks and readies his arm guns and collects energy before switching to gameplay footage.

Gameplay footage

The ending scene shows outside the house with Ness laying motionless on the driveway. Shortly after, a dog arrives, sniffs Ness, and grabs him with its mouse and walks away happily. As the dog exits, the trio of villains crash from the second story window into a garbage can on the side of the street.

Other Thoughts: none

@PsychoIncarnate , as the owner of the Zheng thread, what do you think?
I respect them music selects... But my guy, HOW could you forget the best Mario RPG song?

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Good to come home from work and see that the direct has been rescheduled for tomorrow.

Here's hoping for a Hype train worthy Direct.

domriver

Smash Lord
Geno
Geno lends a hand!

Geno is a doll possessed by a warrior from Star Road to fight Smithy and his gang. It aids Mario and the rest in liberating Bowser’s Keep and restoring Star Road.

Why Geno?: Like Isaac, Geno has enjoyed tremendous support throughout the years. Not to mention he was probably had a large amount of votes on the ballot. Geno also represents both Square as well as SMRPG which was a defining moment in Mario history.

Benefits: Besides making Geno fans happy, its inclusion also brings back SMRPG back into relevancy with a potential stage, music, and Assist Trophy should the staff feel its deserving of one. Mallow could potentially serve as a an Assist Trophy and a stage could possibly be Rose Town, Forest Maze, Factory, or Star Hill. In addition, further benefits to existing characters could be a Boshi alt for Yoshi.

Game Play
I would envision Geno to play similar to Mario in terms of size and weight with a bit more speed and range. It would obviously be more focused on projectiles. Its normal attacks has a wider range with many utilizing his dual guns. One of Geno’s defining characteristics is player-controlled interactions by having to press a button to increase the damage down at the right time.

Neutral Attack: Geno releases a short blast of energy which can transition into an infinite jab and then a jab finisher.

Forward Tilt: Uses one hand and fires off a short burst from his arm gun which hits multiple times.

Down Tilt: Takes both arm guns and fires off a single body downwards which causes a star explosion.

Neutral Aerial: Geno twirls while in the air which releases star energy from his two guns.

Forward Aerial: Does several flips while moving forward and releases star energy blasts from his guns.

Down Aerial: Takes his hands and releases a concentrated short ranged blast directly downward.

Forward Throw: Geno takes the opponent and performs a double blast from his arm cannons.

Back Throw: Jumps backwards while holding the opponent and blasts them down to the ground behind him which causes a ground bounce.

Up Throw: Geno transforms into a catapult and shoots the opponent high up into the air.

Down Throw: Geno pushes the opponent down and performs a double blast with his arm cannons.

Side Smash: Geno delivers a single powerful double energy burst at an uncharged state. Fully charged is a one-two-three burst combo.

Up Smash: Transforms into its star form and shoots upward; slamming into the opponent while releasing star power before descending back down and returning to its normal form.

Down Smash: Takes both arm cannons and fires them twice on both sides of him resulting in four distinct blasts.

Neutral Special Geno Beam: Geno releases an energy beam that travels across the stage. Holding down the button causes one of three stars to appear which increases the damage dealt but also increases the starting lag.
  • Custom #1 Quick Geno Beam: It’s quicker with less time to to charge but also is weaker.
  • Custom #2 Auto Geno Beam: Simoly tapping the neutral button will initiate the charge. Press neutral again to fire.
Side Special Geno Whirl: Geno fires a whirling disc of energy which travels down a single path. It does below moderate damage when it makes contact but pressing Side Special again upon impact with the opponent causes it to explode; dealing even higher damage.
  • Custom #1 Lucky Geno Whirl: It’s easier to time the explosion of the whirl but lacks power.
  • Custom #2 Geno Wrath: Deals a much larger and damaging explosion but is slower.
Side Up Special Geno Cannon: Geno transforms into a cannon and fire himself into the air at an angle before descending back down. The initial explosion upon firing can damage opponents as well as the initial push upwards though by the time of the arch, it won’t damage opponents.
  • Custom #1 Gunpowder Cannon: Shooting GRon out causes a large explosion with more damage.
  • Custom #2 Aiming Geno Cannon: Geno can influence the trajectory by moving the Cannon up or down by tilting the control stick and holding down the special button. Releasing it releases Geno.
Down Special Geno Blast: Geno releases three beams which crash down in a single line, about a quarter of FD. They don’t deal much damage but it causes hit stun. Timing an Up Special button press right at the moment of impact does higher damage than before.
Custom #1 Solo Geno Blast: Fires a single much larger Beam in from of Geno which deals more damage.​
Custom #2: Distant Geno Blast: Instead of it being in front of Geno, it’s at least seven spaces in front of him instead.​

Final Smash Geno Flash: Geno transforms into its cannon form and releases a red orb that arches into the sky and crashes down to the stage; exploding in a sun-shaped blast that rotates; juggling damage and exploding a bit like a Smart Bomb. The attack can increase in size his the special button is mashed prior to the cannon firing the orb.

Codecs
:ultpit: Geno? Sounds like a pizza place. Welcome to Geno’s! Can I take your order?
:ultpalutena: Not exactly. A while ago, Mario found himself allying with Bowser to defeat a common foe.
:ultpalutena: Mario was joined by Bowser, Princess Peach, and the tadpole prince, Mallow and Geno.
:ultpalutena: That’s right. He may not have many appearances in Mario games but he is integral to that story.
Viridi: See his hands? They can transform into cannons that releases powerful star power.
:ultpit: Wow! That’s pretty convenient...until you want to actually use your hands.

Colonel: Hmmm...well, scannings show that it actually has a lifeforce inside of it.
Colonel: It doesn’t seem to have a name...or one we would recognize. Appears altogether alien to this world.
:ultsnake: That’s surprising considering I have been fighting space dragons, witches, giant gorillas, and a penguin with a hammer.
Colonel: Scanners show it possesses power unlike anything before. It’s….astounding.
Colonel: Wait...Snake...searching through our multiverse database...we found its name.

Additional Info

On-Screen Appearance: Geno’s doll body is already there and a star falls down and enters into it; bringing the doll to life.

Taunts:

Victory Animations:
  1. Geno’s star spirit leaves its body which causes to slump down to the ground with the spirit ascending into the air and twirling about the now lifeless doll.
  2. Geno adjusts his hat and then holds out his arm showing his arm cannon exposed.
Assist Trophy: Mallow: Mallow appears and could take out his cymbals and start banging them; sending out shockwaves like DK’s old Final Smash.

Stage: As mentioned before, I think that the following would be good rep stages.

Music:

Victory Theme:

Either this....

Or this...

Trophies:

Palette Swap:

View attachment 163545

The trailer opens up with a view of a child’s bedroom. The camera pans across the wall which has various posters for various Nintendo retro games including Ice Climbers, Star Tropics, Mach Rider, Mario Bros., and Legend of Zelda. It then moves to a t.v. with SNES connected to it with Street Figther II: New Challengers ready to play. The camera then moves across the bed stand where a gameboy color is left with a Pokemon Yellow game cartridge is left. The camera then pans across the neatly made bed and several stacks of actual Nintendo Power magazines are seen.

The camera then slowly swoops to a book case and a game guide for Super Mario RPG: The Legend of the Seven Stars is seen. Scrolling down, the camera then retreats back seeing stuff toys of Mario, Donkey Kong, Peach, Yoshi, Link, Pikachu, Samus, and Ness. The camera focuses on Mario’s face and, in the distance, various sound clips of Mario in a Smash battle can be heard. The camera focuses on each toys face with similar faint battle sounds.

Afterwards, the camera pans up to a nearby table and lurking over it is a mobile Bowser toy with glowing red eyes along with Ganondorf and Mewtwo. Bowser jumps down from the table and smashes Yoshi’s head. Mewtwo tosses Ness out of a window; breaking it. Ganondorf takes Link and Donkey Kong and smashes their heads together. Bowser punches Mario which sends him flying into an open toy chest which closes afterwards.

Samus is helpless as the trio of mobile stuffed villains make thier way to terrorize Peach when, suddenly, the lid to the toy box is blasted open and a blue blue arrives by putting itself between Peach and the villains. The villains look unimpressed before the camera focuses on the figure.

Aye Geno splash

Geno smirks and readies his arm guns and collects energy before switching to gameplay footage.

Gameplay footage

The ending scene shows outside the house with Ness laying motionless on the driveway. Shortly after, a dog arrives, sniffs Ness, and grabs him with its mouse and walks away happily. As the dog exits, the trio of villains crash from the second story window into a garbage can on the side of the street.

@PsychoIncarnate , as the owner of the Geno thread, what do you think?
you nailed it. very well done.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I've gotten myself busy for a bit and see that the thread has suddenly moved five pages, I assume the Direct has been reannounced, yes?

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
Geno
Geno lends a hand!

Game Play

Codecs

Additional Info

Taunts:

Victory Animations:

Music:

Victory Theme:

Either this....

Or this...

Trophies:

Palette Swap:

View attachment 163545

Aye Geno splash

Gameplay footage

@PsychoIncarnate , as the owner of the Geno thread, what do you think?

:sadeyes:

It'd be even better if, before his Smash reveal, a remake or sequel for the game was announced, and the Smash trailer would follow up on that like how Inkling was shown after Splatoon DLC footage.

Last edited:

joshoctober16

Smash Apprentice
thank god they show it RIGHT before the hurricane hits usa.... but if isaac was planned to be reveled ... i wonder if he wont be shown cause tropical storm isaac with the same name about to hit some island near puerto rico.

you know the only big game from the wii u we are missing is a 2d mario game and super mario maker deluxe/2 hope one gets made.
and mario odyssey dlc that isnt a suit for mario....

D

Deleted member

I'm seeing a lot of "X gane will be anmounced and then they'll show Y as a fighter!" posts so let me just say there has never been a Smash character revealed alongside a game announcement. The closest is Shulk being in the same Direct as XC3D but it wasn't "XC3DS is a thing oh and btw here's Shulk in Smash".
The most I expect would be if they started with Smash and then went on to talk about that character's new game but even then that seems unlikely.

D

Deleted member

something something "not yet =/= never" something something

something something prediction just for fun something something
Something something "lack of precedence = lack of base for an argument" something.

Something something missing the goal on purpose isn't fun for anyone something

EDIT: also, something something "just because it's a game doesn't mean I can't criticize your methods" something

Last edited by a moderator:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Something something "lack of precedence = lack of base for an argument" something.

Something something missing the goal on purpose isn't fun for anyone something
I didn't put much effort into my post cause I figured you'd do this and it's what I love about you m8

But yeah no, all I'm saying is that while unlikely it's not impossible. I was never trying to make an argument despite you seeing everything as one, and I'm not missing the goal on purpose, I'm making a guess for ****s and giggles based on potentials and the fact that it would be the best time to announce Animal Crossing which would make it a good time to talk about Isabelle if ever despite what they've "previously done", and it is fun for me despite how you like to stubbornly see everything. And it is just a thing that I've noticed that you're pretty critical and that's okay.

Not gonna make me change my mind though

Any questions

I'm genuinely having fun with the thought and I don't care if you disagree with that haha

EDIT: Nah feel free to criticize that's part of the fun, I would never stop you from doing that because I'm not some jackass on the internet that tries to censor anyone. I'm down for criticism just like anyone should be.

Last edited:

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
I didn't put much effort into my post cause I figured you'd do this and it's what I love about you m8

But yeah no, all I'm saying is that while unlikely it's not impossible. I was never trying to make an argument despite you seeing everything as one, and I'm not missing the goal on purpose, I'm making a guess for ****s and giggles based on potentials and the fact that it would be the best time to announce Animal Crossing which would make it a good time to talk about Isabelle if ever despite what they've "previously done", and it is fun for me despite how you like to stubbornly see everything

Any questions

I'm genuinely having fun with the thought and I don't care if you disagree with that haha
Don’t bother, a lot of puritans here :(

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
I forgot to tell... Nintendo Direct in Europe starts on midnight of 14th September...which is actually the same day as my sister's birthday. So, Nintendo Direct, that European one, would come on the day of my sister's birthday.

Anyways, I'm going to the doctor's appointment with my parents. Wish me luck.

Last edited:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Don’t bother, a lot of puritans here :(
I think the conversation is good.
Criticism of other people's speculation is fine because the point is to keep a critical eye on things to keep things such as people making rules that don't actually matter and things like that. I encourage it haha.

Last edited:

PsySmasher

Smash Hero
Switch FC
SW 8231-8239-3130
I wonder how much of the direct's content has changed, especially since it seems to have the exact same run time as last week's planned direct.

Last edited:

Over9000BPM

Smash Ace
I think the conversation is good.
Criticism of other people's speculation is fine because the point is to keep a critical eye on things to keep things such as people making rules that don't actually matter and things like that. I encourage it haha.
Absolutely. Just be careful. Some people will gleefully misinterpret you so they can be offended. :)

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
Absolutely. Just be careful. Some people will gleefully misinterpret you so they can be offended. :)
I think that's a bit of a unfair thing to say. Just because someone strongly disagrees with something I've said doesn't mean they're offended.
Just means that they think a different way.

I guarantee you that this matters very little in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom