• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Omega Tyrant

Smash Champion
NNID
OmegaTyrant
Rock Smash was an occasional mix up to get out of those situations though. It really didn't do much to solve that problem at all. I personally only use that move once or twice per match, if at all. His triple jump is way more important for getting out of those situations.
Rock Smash was his primary disadvantage tool, it's only a mixup so much as constantly using the same option everytime is going to get you punished hard, even if it's a really good move like Monkey Flip, so of course you can't use it everytime. His disadvantage was still poor, but so much because of other issues and Rock Smash was his only disadvantage move while Rock Smash itself wasn't brokenly good, while without it his disadvantage would have been at DK's level or even worse. Also his two midair jumps barely helped, considering they got so little height and with Zard's slowness in the air it's not like could actually evade moves with it.

Charizard was never competitively viable in smash 4. The switch out mechanic will help Charizard more than rock smash ever could.

Furthermore the new mechanics in smash ultimate such as standardised lnagung lag will help Charizard and put him in a better place than the low tier he was in smash 4.
Charizard was pretty decent by the end of the Smash 4 patches, but being severely underplayed and his best players rarely traveling we won't really know how much potential he really had, and people are really overrating the Pokemon Trainer gimmick, I've been through it in depth before but switching to a character you're worse with isn't going to help you.

And I never said Zard himself was ruined, universal 3 frame jumpsquat and reduced landing lag are certainly huge for him, as I said before it's certainly possible to be rebalanced where Rock Smash isn't necessary, but nonetheless losing the option of Rock Smash is ****ty for Zard players.

lmao at this "But how will Zard get out of disadvantage now?" even after I said he has a like frame 1 dodge with no lag now that also lets him have unique combos and mixups with Squirtle
Except:

1: Pokemon Change still has lag and produces no hitboxes, it's certainly baitable and punishable still.

2: It switches you to another character, which even assuming you're somehow equally adept with all three pokemon and you're not switching to a worse matchup, is still not something you'll want to be forced to do to get out of disadvantage. Then in the likely reality where you're worse with the other pokemon or would be switching to a worse matchup, switching while in disadvantage is going to leave you in a pretty ****ty place while you got two switches to do to get back to your desired pokemon.

And on "doing combos with Squirtle", Pokemon Change is not happening fast enough to where you'll get actual true combos off of it.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Mike Jones
Isaac
Crash
Henry Fleming
Amaterasu
Elma
Leon (Star Fox)

Darouch
Ashley
Ninten
Exite Biker

Linkle
Alucard
Hector
Nightmare
Agumon
Louie
Amy Rose
I know your full name now. I wonder what I can find about you. Into the internet I go.

:troll:

Last edited:

Angelglory

Smash Ace
NNID
Angelglory
3DS FC
2750-1110-8929
Sakurai will put in a newcomer

But it has to be a character that starts with the letter of your first name. Who is it?

My name starts with Q so I'm screwed. Q from Street Fighter or the F-Zero one I guess
A for me, kind of a hard choice actually...

Alph, Andross, Ayumi, one of those 3

osby

Smash Obsessed
Came up with a codec conversation for :ultcloud:
I'm a teensy bit proud of it.

Snake: I've never seen a sword quite so big - how could a scrawny little guy like that even carry it?
Otacon: Cloud is anything but scrawny, Snake. In fact, he's arguably one of the strongest fighters here!
Snake: He must be, if he's able to wield a weapon so... unwieldy.
Otacon: That's the Buster Sword. It's a weapon passed down to Cloud from his friend, Zack Fair.
Snake: Better be careful. Some people might not like spoilers.
Otacon: ...right. Anyway, Cloud's a former SOLDIER, a member of the military force of the Shinra Electric Power company.
Snake: What kind of power company needs an armed military force? I mean, I guess it'd be useful for collecting unpaid bills, but still, that seems a little drastic.
Otacon: Snake, we've got a lot to get through, so would you mind just letting me finish?
Snake: With all due respect, Otacon, I don't have time for an hour-long lecture on yet another JRPG protagonist... not after last time, and definitely not during this fight!
Otacon: ...fine.
Eh, weren't Codecs a little more subtle about being meta?

Danpal65

Smash Lord
I'll go with my initials since my full name is too long.

D: Dixie Kong

E: Elma (of course)

P: Pyra & Rex (this counts :p)

osby

Smash Obsessed
You don't want to dox yourself? Understandable...

I don't really care if people know my real name or not
It's not a problem (though I kinda feel weird about it) but some letters in my name are unique to my language.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Eh, weren't Codecs a little more subtle about being meta?
You're asking if Metal Gear is subtle, and even if the only one I played so far is Snake Eater, goddamn you could NOT be more wrong
I see you too enjoy a healthy dose of schadenfreude, my friend!
It's why I laughed my ass off when Corrin got confirmed. My friends were like "What's this? Who's this? Why the **** are you laughing so loud"

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
That's how I beat Brawl's insanely difficult Boss Rush on the hardest... I can't hate on it...
Wouldn't be surprised if that was one of the only ways to beat it without frame-perfect dodges or attacks.

Honestly I was just never fond of Charizard in general. He's slow and clunky, making him real hard for me to get a feel for, which is weird considering I normally use heavyweights. Squirtle and Ivysaur are so much more fun imo

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
If I were to use every letter of my full name to create a character list, then not only would I be able to get Chandelure, Phoenix, and Apollo, I’d also be able to get over 20 other characters.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
If I were to use every letter of my full name to create a character list, then not only would I be able to get Chandelure, Phoenix, and Apollo, I’d also be able to get over 20 other characters.
I just realized by suggesting this you have given me unlimited power as I have yet to pick my middle name, and I already had two of them

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Using your full name for character predictions? Seems a bit sketchy. Why not just use each digit of your credit card, as well as your expiry date and other codes?

osby

Smash Obsessed
You're asking if Metal Gear is subtle, and even if the only one I played so far is Snake Eater, goddamn you could NOT be more wrong

It's why I laughed my *** off when Corrin got confirmed. My friends were like "What's this? Who's this? Why the **** are you laughing so loud"
Tbh, if you enjoy other people's misery, Smash For had a lot of good moments.

Shroob

Sup?
I'm still ****ing confused on just how much stuff was skipped by the blog.

I was under the assumption that we were missing:

134-The Blog has been updated
135-Newcomer reveal trailer
136-Newcomer gameplay snippet
137-Character Memories

But now I'm hearing we missed an entire goddamn WEEK of blogposts?

Like, are we actually getting several Echo fighters now as well?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Rock Smash was his primary disadvantage tool, it's only a mixup so much as constantly using the same option everytime is going to get you punished hard, even if it's a really good move like Monkey Flip, so of course you can't use it everytime. His disadvantage was still poor, but so much because of other issues and Rock Smash was his only disadvantage move while Rock Smash itself wasn't brokenly good, while without it his disadvantage would have been at DK's level or even worse. Also his two midair jumps barely helped, considering they got so little height and with Zard's slowness in the air it's not like could actually evade moves with it.
Rock Smash is a laggy, heavy commitment move that doesn't change Zard's positioning and isn't safe on shield in the slightest. It's not comparable to Diddy's fantastic Monkey Flip in the slightest. The only times it's safe is on a hard read where you know your opponent is going to go for an attack. It had it's uses, but if you used it as your main way of getting out of juggles against a halfway competent player, you're going to get punished for it constantly.

Dukeofdeath5

Smash Lord
Master Chief
Amateratsu
Sora
Abe
Heihachi
Iori Yagami
Rayman
Oliver (Ni No Ku Ni)

Spyral
Apollo Creed
Ken
Ursaring
R
oll
Amingo
Inky sabelle

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Pokemon Trainer is by far the best Pokemon fighter we have, these complaints are as silly as Robin having the durability mechanic.

Also, for the name thing, Valter, Veronica and Vaporeon. I dig it.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I'm still ****ing confused on just how much stuff was skipped by the blog.

I was under the assumption that we were missing:

134-The Blog has been updated
135-Newcomer reveal trailer
136-Newcomer gameplay snippet
137-Character Memories

But now I'm hearing we missed an entire goddamn WEEK of blogposts?

Like, are we actually getting several Echo fighters now as well?
Well one of those is a remix, possibly a new item too

D

Deleted member

I just realized by suggesting this you have given me unlimited power as I have yet to pick my middle name, and I already had two of them
This just makes it a whole lot easier to me because now I have E, H, R, P and A to play with as well and hey, guess what, Protector, I win this.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Name game? Well, I've got a T, so everything seems good so far.

Tails

Or, I could go with the cheap way and take "The Dragonborn." Which is totally legitimate because I said so.

...yeah, we're good either way.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
people are really overrating the Pokemon Trainer gimmick, I've been through it in depth before but switching to a character you're worse with isn't going to help you.
They're not though, just switch back to the character you're best with or take the time to master all 3.

Switching out is much more flexible and useful than rock smash ever was and would be if it made a return. It's on the players if They don't maximise on the switching out mechanics potential and yes that would involve taking the time to master all 3 Pokemon.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Well there sort of is.

An echo is a chracater that takes minimal resources to create. Echoes have the same moveset of who their cloning, with minor differences and maybe 1 or 2 different moves as long as those moves can also be easily borrowed from someone else, or easily created (example: Chrom’s FS and Up Special). Echoes also need to have a very similar build to that of who their echoing as well, to port animations a lot more easily.

Echoes can have different taunts, victory poses, and even some animations, however, their stats, moveset, and proportions must be the same of their original. Differences only usually resort to different damage values, kill power, and knockback angles.
So far. The rest is us assuming that what we’ve seen is what we get. But Chrom happened and now that changed to allow at least one move be derived from another character.

What about the next echo? Will that one also surprise us? What if an echo is exactly like one character, but all their specials come from other characters? You could call that an echo, but you won’t until Sakurai does.

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
One of my favorite things about Rock Smash was always that Charizard used his ******* HEAD to smash the rock. Like seriously, combine Charizard’s Down B with its side smash, and its a wonder that it hasn’t gotten a concussion or snapped its neck yet.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Using your full name for character predictions? Seems a bit sketchy. Why not just use each digit of your credit card, as well as your expiry date and other codes?
Brilliant idea! I'll go ahead and use my Smashboards password to guess who our next pokeball pokemon are going to be!

Groudon
Umbreon
Litleo
Lampent
Incineroar
Bonsly
Linoone
Eelektross

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom