• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Who would activate it? What about Pokemon?
Pokemon Trainer on either Pokemon Stadium stage

And in leiu of the conversation, we get a textbox of equivalent size containing the dex entry. The whole point of a PokeDex is to contain information to help trainers understand the Pokemon, so this would be a resource for Trainer to win the fight.

And the Pokemon would get an entry anyways. I don't see why they wouldn't.

"#01: Mario. A well-balanced fighter with few weaknesses. Fireballs bounce along the ground, and watch out for his FLUDD and cape while you try and recover. Watch out for his forward air while recovering as it can meteor smash."

"#12: Jigglypuff. This floaty Pokemon has multiple jumps and the ability to put you to sleep, and Pound can help recovery. Remember that it is a light fighter and will get KOed if its shield breaks. But watch out for Rest... it's a bit different in this world".

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Mmmmm nah i don't think it's that iconic anymore, atleast Slender has some sort of cult fanbase, but i haven't encountered anyone who still talks about FNaF.
FNAF just got a new game not long ago and the movie is coming out

I actually just bought the Mediocre melancholy Funko's which just came out at the end of last month

Moydow

The fairest of them all
BRoomer
Oh hey I'm one of them! Shameless plug for my own thread because Etrian Odyssey deserves a character!
Your thread in which I seem to be the only person who tried to actually generate activity after the first day or two. At this rate I can't be too far off usurping your title of the site's main EO shill. :p

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
I gotta be honest.

Mods?

I think you're overstepping with the ''Discussing characters that have no chance in Smash." being grounds for warnings, closings, etc.

Why?

Because it's all fan based and arbitrary rules. While yes there's a severe likelyhood characters like Goku, Mickey Mouse, etc would not get into Smash.

You tow a fine fine fine fine fine line to the point that you're also forcing people to be closed minded in speculation as well.

''IT'S IN THE RULES~~~" is one of the worst things about this community when it comes to speculation, because those rules are stupid and made up and often change once Sakurai doesn't follow this made up rule book most of us have all placed on him.

I don't know I feel that rule is hurting speculation and conversation about the future of Smash and potentially an egg on your face scenario for the moderators as well.

It's just a little egomanical to go "WE THE MODS HAVE DEEMED THIS CHARACTER UNLIKELY SO NEVER SPEAK OF THEM AGAIN." because what stops you from deeming an actual video game character as unlikely and shutting down discussion of them?

I mean this happened in Smash 4 a lot.

''CLOUD STRIFE, ACTUAL GAMING ICON WILL NEVER BE IN SMASH. HE'S AMONG THE LIKES OF MICKEY AND GOKU. LULZ."

I had to fight tooth and nail to make people understand Bayonetta was a possibility from base game and was told she wasn't Smash Material. Look who is in Smash now and one of the most controversial topics about it.

So....I'm just....not about that rule. I'm REALLY not about that rule, because it's shutting down conversation based on whatever you personally see fit and based on made up things people put into the way Sakurai makes the game as well.
Mods really explained it well when they said
Because they don’t have a chance to be in Smash.
It's not gonna happen. Ever.

LetterO

Smash Lord
Trying to keep up with this thread and do other things at the same time is damn near impossible. :laugh:

...20 years old would be "Young Adult".
---
Here's an idea for a little bit of discussion.

If you had complete control over which characters would be in Smash, who would you have? What would the roster look like?

The point of this is to make a roster that would please you specifically. You can even cut Mario if you so chose.
i'd add the following

-Skull Kid
-Geno
-Boshi (echo of Yoshi). This one's for you, Zinith
-Chorus Kids
-9-Volt
-18-Volt (semi of 9-Volt)
-Jimmy T.
-Phoenix Wright
-Miles Edgeworth (echo of Phoenix)
-Rundas
-Incineroar
-Sylux
-Eggman
-Tails
-Knuckles
-Shadow (echo of Sonic)
-Isabelle (echo of Villager)
-Waluigi
-Bomberman
-Raiden (Metal Gear)
-Doom Guy

Chron

Smash Journeyman
Okay guys what music do you want to see in Ultimate
Here are my top 6(I highly recommend downloading these to your MP3 player):
Gladion's Theme - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIZTPaEH7_k
Dialga's Fight to the Finish - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxS8YDjTpeg
Defy the Legends - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16BDCSf41Yc
Locked Girl - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdzFCwTr0ps
Septette for the Dead Princess - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJQ5HsXlPTo
Shanghai Teahouse - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtA6LTtiu0c

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team

And in leiu of the conversation, we get a textbox of equivalent size containing the dex entry. The whole point of a PokeDex is to contain information to help trainers understand the Pokemon, so this would be a resource for Trainer to win the fight.

"#01: Mario. A well-balanced fighter with few weaknesses. Fireballs bounce along the ground, and watch out for his FLUDD and cape while you try and recover. Watch out for his forward air while recovering as it can meteor smash."

"#12: Jigglypuff. This floaty Pokemon has multiple jumps and the ability to put you to sleep, and Pound can help recovery. Remember that it is a light fighter and will get KOed if its shield breaks. But watch out for Rest... it's a bit different in this world".
Jigglypuff being #12 contradicts Pokemon lore. It would confuse me.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
In my humble opinion, if the character in question is a video game character, that character should not be exempt from discussion regardless of likelihood.

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192

The day we hear this in Smash, about 98% of us will go crazy.
If a Mortal Kombat character ever makes it into Smash, I'd love fighting to this. I'd prefer Sub-Zero, but Scorpion's cool with me.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
I gotta be honest.

Mods?

I think you're overstepping with the ''Discussing characters that have no chance in Smash." being grounds for warnings, closings, etc.

Why?

Because it's all fan based and arbitrary rules. While yes there's a severe likelyhood characters like Goku, Mickey Mouse, etc would not get into Smash.

You tow a fine fine fine fine fine line to the point that you're also forcing people to be closed minded in speculation as well.

''IT'S IN THE RULES~~~" is one of the worst things about this community when it comes to speculation, because those rules are stupid and made up and often change once Sakurai doesn't follow this made up rule book most of us have all placed on him.

I don't know I feel that rule is hurting speculation and conversation about the future of Smash and potentially an egg on your face scenario for the moderators as well.

It's just a little egomanical to go "WE THE MODS HAVE DEEMED THIS CHARACTER UNLIKELY SO NEVER SPEAK OF THEM AGAIN." because what stops you from deeming an actual video game character as unlikely and shutting down discussion of them?

''CLOUD STRIFE, ACTUAL GAMING ICON WILL NEVER BE IN SMASH. HE'S AMONG THE LIKES OF MICKEY AND GOKU. LULZ."

I had to fight tooth and nail to make people understand Bayonetta was a possibility from base game and was told she wasn't Smash Material. Look who is in Smash now and one of the most controversial topics about it.

So....I'm just....not about that rule. I'm REALLY not about that rule, because it's shutting down conversation based on whatever you personally see fit and based on made up things people put into the way Sakurai makes the game as well.
There’s a big difference between Bayonetta and Cloud, even before thier reveal, than characters like Shrek, Darth Vader, Ricky and Morty, Spongebob, etc. Not to mention that discussing them could potentially lead to flaming/trolling by other users for that user bringing them up or the topic then going into length about Star Wars or why they hate the Rick and Morty fan base. And the fact that these characters are brought up without any serious discussion behind them (just for lolz and like farming) is another issue.

Last edited:

IGuessItsOver

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-5424-4083-0824
And that's why I love ya at heart IGuess
If they bring in Paper Mario then bring on the Shantae
I love bugging you But yeah, he'd be no-brainer for Nintendo to add him, it would please many fans who have been asking him since Brawl AND it would also be a good marketing strategy to promote an upcoming game if they were working on one.
It was indisputably iconic of the gaming landscape for a good long while. Is it still now? Up to debate.
I'll give you that, it was such a massive hit in its time that it spawned fan songs that have reached over 100 million views on YT... but like any one hit wonder, they eventually lose popularity.

Rocket Raccoon

Writing Team
In my humble opinion, if the character in question is a video game character, that character should not be exempt from discussion regardless of likelihood.
After getting hit with the wildest left field curve known to man with the introduction of Cloud, this is pretty much the only rule Smash has (and maybe an appearance on a Nintendo console.)

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
That's the thing.

Nothing is a never ever situation.

Every possibility is a possibility and to say otherwise is a lie.

In a community that has constantly had ''impossibilities" happen?

You'd think the speculation base would be a little less close minded.

Back in the day Bayo and Cloud were considered very unlikely for Smash. They are in. Despite some users calling both.

Villager going into Smash 4 or AC content was written off despite being a popular Nintendo franchise, because ''SAKURAI SAID.~~~"

There's nothing. Legit. Nothing. Gained from that rule. NOTHING.

It's towing a fine line of ''Well, we can't discuss X character because the mods said if they're super unlikely it could get me a warning."

It's also very ''Take away the user's freedom of speech."

All the other things brought up I can understand? I can understand them being off topic, but you know.....not that. It's still technically discussing Smash and Smash Ultimate if you're discussing characters with stipulations against them that aren't likely.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I just realized there is an enemy in Wario Land that looks almost exactly like Bandana Dee

Some of them do wear bandanas

Iridium

Smash Hero
I mean, if people really speculate a moveset for the old man from the original LOZ...

That would be cool.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
I love bugging you But yeah, he'd be no-brainer for Nintendo to add him, it would please many fans who have been asking him since Brawl AND it would also be a good marketing strategy to promote an upcoming game if they were working on one.

I'll give you that, it was such a massive hit in its time that it spawned fan songs that have reached over 100 million views on YT... but like any one hit wonder, they eventually lose popularity.
That's my boy...taught you well.

Though granted FNAF was a six game wonder.

Holder of the Heel

Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
NNID
Roarfang
3DS FC
1332-7720-7283
Switch FC
6734-2078-8990
For me, there's only one guy I want that will never make it in.
He's secretly a high-schooler.
He summons monsters.
He's clad in black.
He wields a blade and a gun.
He wears flowing clothes
He has a talking cat as a friend.
He has a small harem of girls.
He is STYLISH as hell.

That's right, you already know it's...
View attachment 163199
RAIDOU KUZUNOHA THE XIV

What? Who the heck is "Joker?"
One of the best parts about getting a SMT representative is the music.

I'd take any of the heroes from the series. It's unreasonable to think the fifth installment that comes out next year could show up, but that'd be pretty damn hype.

Last edited:

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord

That isn’t really in-character for the Pokédex, though, it’d realistically say, for Mario for example, “With some space to ready a three-part triple jump, it can vault over a multiple story building with ease,” thus describing the physical capabilities of an individual as if they were a species, ahaha...

AugustusB

Smash Champion
So question about pokeballs in Smash

Do you think we will get Master balls to return with legendaries in them?

Also, with the introduction of Ultra Beasts from Sun & Moon, do you think we could get Beast Balls that contain Ultra Beasts?

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I'm pretty sure we wom't have to unlock music again, betting on characters and trophies being the only unlockables this time.
Oh, I hope thisi s the case. Grinding for CDs is painful, especially when it spawns on the other side of the stage while you're being comboed (at least they don't unlock again after you already got them, unlike Sm4sh's ****show of a custom move unlock mechanic). Still, with all stages from the beginning, it'll take long enough to plan out my music properly.
It's so great and iconic. I'm honestly sad there isn't more Majora's Mask music aside from Termina Field
We need more Majora in Smash. And BotW. Seriously, all of the Zelda music is great.

At least we know that we have one Majora remix coming - the Termina field remix in YL's trailer is new.
This is already confirmed on the official site. As for Beast Balls... we haven't gotten any UB news playable or otherwise.

Last edited:

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Popeye is another fine example.

Unlikely? Sure.

But Smash Material? Most likely.

He's in an underhanded way responsible for the creation of the most famous video game mascot ever.

But don't talk about him? Because he's off topic and ruins the thread. ~~

It's just a really stupid rule and basically saying ''Don't support a character we deem unfit for conversation."

Because those characters also seem to be actual video game icons or video games in this community as well. Bayo, Cloud, hell, even Isabelle seems to be a sore spot for a lot of people with Smash Ultimate and she's been in my opinion the most likely newcomer outside of Inkling from the get go.

What stops a certain character from being worthy of discussion or not? What happens when a game character is unlikely and it ''derails" the thread?

Because that happens as well. Look at Rabbids. It happened a couple times with them.

It just doesn't sit right with me as a rule and has grounds for which the moderators to step in and add any character they see fit.

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Last edited:

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
I gotta be honest.

Mods?

Why?

I understand where you're coming from, but a character like Cloud Strife is not equatable to someone like Spider-Man or Goku. Sure, people still laughed him off during Smash 4 speculation and before, and it was a completely flawed mentality and something that shouldn't have originally happened.
However, he's a video game character and like in your case, Bayonetta also is, but they're not.
That's literally the one of the few hard rules that Smash requires for any of their entrants. That in no way is an arbitrary fan rule.

Even back during the Smash ballot, it literally said a character who originates from a video game. That meant anyone who is originally from any medium was automatically disqualified, despite their video game appearances or fan base.
Like I agree that an unlikely character, should be allowed to be mulled over, but it has to be within reasonable speculation and limits. Like any video game character should be discussed, I mean Geno of all characters is now considered as a hard lock in this day and age.

There's been well too many times that 50 pages of this thread has become an argument about Goku and other characters who will never make it in, without any substantial discussion relating to the actual content or possibilities of the game itself.
I don't think it's unfair for the mods to want to cut down on that behavior.

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
That's the thing.

Nothing is a never ever situation.

Every possibility is a possibility and to say otherwise is a lie.

In a community that has constantly had ''impossibilities" happen?

You'd think the speculation base would be a little less close minded.

Back in the day Bayo and Cloud were considered very unlikely for Smash. They are in. Despite some users calling both.

Villager going into Smash 4 or AC content was written off despite being a popular Nintendo franchise, because ''SAKURAI SAID.~~~"

There's nothing. Legit. Nothing. Gained from that rule. NOTHING.

It's towing a fine line of ''Well, we can't discuss X character because the mods said if they're super unlikely it could get me a warning."

It's also very ''Take away the user's freedom of speech."

All the other things brought up I can understand? I can understand them being off topic, but you know.....not that. It's still technically discussing Smash and Smash Ultimate if you're discussing characters with stipulations against them that aren't likely.
Why do you keep up bringing first party franchises? The issue is non-video game 3rd party franchises that (with a few exceptions) have no bearing on Smash whatsoever. I have provided clear cut examples such as Star Wars, Marvel, Spongebob, etc as characters that don’t warrant discussion.

“hey guys, I like Winnie the Pooh want to see him in Smash.” is grounds for spam and is off-topic. Saying “Hey guys, I support Bayonetta in Smash” was a legitimate viewpoint and worthy of discussion and I am sorry if you were ostracized for it prior to her reveal.

Last edited:

SigmaMewtwo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SigmaMewtwo
3DS FC
4957-6442-1100
Switch FC
SW-7484-8678-9192

Also, with the introduction of Ultra Beasts from Sun & Moon, do you think we could get Beast Balls that contain Ultra Beasts?
The Smash Website does list the Master Ball as a returning item, so that's 100% guaranteed. However, the Beast Ball idea would be pretty cool in my opinion, especially if we don't get a playable Ultra Beast in the roster. Could also get other Pokemon appearing from them at a lower percentage, similar to Goldeen popping out of Master Balls in Smash 4.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
Now that the Paper Mario stage isn't limited to just 2 songs I hope that they threw in some Paper Mario remixes in there somewhere.

Unfortunately knowing Square Enix we're probably not getting much Super Mario RPG music except the original Forest Maze song.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Now that the Paper Mario stage isn't limited to just 2 songs I hope that they threw in some Paper Mario remixes in there somewhere.

Unfortunately knowing Square Enix we're probably not getting much Super Mario RPG music except the original Forest Maze song.
Could also throw in Paper Mario as a character.

KMDP

Smash Legend
I just realized there is an enemy in Wario Land that looks almost exactly like Bandana Dee

Some of them do wear bandanas

If cross series echo fighters are a thing, we need this one.

This is the Wario Land character we need.
Something I posted back in July.
You know, everyone's saying Ashley and Bandana Dee are going to be playable, but we're overlooking a major curveball who's the best of both worlds. A Wario character who uses a Spear.

PIRATE GOOM!
Ahh, back when we thought Ashley would get in Smash. RIP.

PLATINUM7

Star Platinum
NNID
PLATINUM7
3DS FC
1246-8735-0293
Switch FC
2465-5306-3806

Master Balls are already confirmed to return.

I'm going to say maybe for Ultra Beasts. Are there enough to put in and justify it though?

StormC

Smash Hero
I really did think Ashley made sense from a Smash 4 character choice perspective.

8.8 blew any conceptions that this would play out like Smash 4 into the stratosphere.

AugustusB

Smash Champion
Master Balls are already confirmed to return.

I'm going to say maybe for Ultra Beasts. Are there enough to put in and justify it though?
There is a nice handful of them that could work as a very rare chance to appear.

Also I could see some of them being a boss.

EDIT: forgot Master balls were already back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom