• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
No

nothing yet

So...just a sequel
Pretty much. But a reboot in the sense that most everything included up to this point is dropped and they start fresh. Reboots don't necessitate that you switch the games entire genre as some are suggesting.

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
They'll save Geno for the last Smash Direct... So I think it's Bandana Waddle Dee
Reminder, this is the same series that showed Palutena at E3 and Pac-Man, the grandfather of gaming, behind closed doors. Not to mention they showed Ridley at E3 and Simon in a Smash centric direct.
They don't care to show off a "hype" character during a certain time or as a big finisher.
Any character that Nintendo will show will get press and celebrated given it's the nature of Smash.
They could honestly just throw a Rhythm Heaven or Golden Sun character tonight, despite not being widely known to the general audience, and still get everyone hyped up over social media and cause a discussion.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Smash reboot should be a 2D fighter like Street Fighter, or an anime 2D fighter like Guilty Gear.
I'm still waiting for a potential Nintendo vs. Capcom.
Or just a general six/four button competitive fighter with Nintendo properties.

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
If Smash was 'rebooted' after Ultimate, I just want new movesets for all characters from 64 and Melee.

Most of them need the re-imagining.

Chron

Smash Journeyman
No healthbars in Smash. No special attacks requiring multiple button presses and joystick(quarter circle + a, etc.). Other than that, I'm kind "Eh, whatever" about what they do with a possible reboot.

Last edited:

Yoshisaurus Rex

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-1023-7514-9432
Welp, time to go back to lurking until anything official comes up. *walks slowly back into the darkness*

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Reminder, this is the same series that showed Palutena at E3 and Pac-Man, the grandfather of gaming, behind closed doors. Not to mention they showed Ridley at E3 and Simon in a Smash centric direct.
They don't care to show off a "hype" character during a certain time or as a big finisher.
Any character that Nintendo will show will get press and celebrated given it's the nature of Smash.
They could honestly just throw a Rhythm Heaven or Golden Sun character tonight, despite not being widely known to the general audience, and still get everyone hyped up over social media and cause a discussion.

I'm still waiting for a potential Nintendo vs. Capcom.
Or just a general six/four button competitive fighter with Nintendo properties.
Wat!? TONIGHT?!

Waaaaaat???

Is this real?

Rocket Raccoon

Subject: 89P13
Writing Team
:ultfox::ultshulk::ultpit::ultmarth::ultlink: here you go.

Sakurai you've to try to make newcomers as unique as possible even now you try to give Echo Fighters their own flair too. So allow me to draw your attention to a Capcom character, from the game Okami Amaterasu. Now I can understand what you're thinking she's not really that relevant, but that's never stopped you before. Okami has been on the Wii, the DS, and lastly the Switch, giving her a more than decent history with Nintendo, and history with nearly every console, and every game generation since Okami's release. You also can't find a game that uses the same art style as Okami.
Now onto the character, Amaterasu has a unique and appealing design due to being a quadruped which is uncommon in Smash, the sharp contrasts of her snow white fur against her crimson markings and with every step flowers bloom in her wake.

Gameplay wise, I picture her as character who use her Celestial Brush techniques, like how Duck Hunt use it's third party cover fire, allowing her to paint quickly in order to use her powerful techniques such as make windstorms, vine, bombs, firestorms, blizzards, and thunderbolts, also with the ink mechanic you can prevent her from abusing her brush techniques, and her weapons. You can mix and match her various weapons for every situation, or make her the first ever weapon stance character who can quickly change their weaponry at any time. Her reflector would be her balance yet close range weapon with a counter command grab that preforms an Izuna drop. Her Rosary beads double as a whip and high speed bullets for long range, and her mid-range sword can be used for slow yet powerful attacks. With all these abilities at her arsenal she would be a high speed, versatile combo character worthy of Smash.

If I recall Shovel Knight's company did the same thing too. Even Phil Spencer dropped a few hits to Sakurai about putting in Banjo Kazooie in Smash, and Ubisoft definitely wasn't against the idea of putting Rayman in Smash. When that ballot was announced everyone lost it. Getting the character you want in was like winning the last golden ticket to Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory.
I dunno, I have this weird issue with it. If she's in, she's in fair and square. There wasn't a rule that says you couldn't promote your character on Twitter. Yacht Club did the same thing with Shovel Knight. Survival of the fittest. I believe I'm heavily biased, however. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't as anxious as other Shantae fans are over her inclusion. ImstillatinybitsaltyoverShovelKnight
I already talked about it.

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
how the hell are you gonna play a platform fighter on your phone
Good question! The only solid answer I can give is "We'll find out in due time." But Smash can be played with a single Wii Remote as well as on a small screen and platformers and even traditional fighting games have been on mobile. With that in mind, as well as with the tweaks that a reboot would allow for that would normally be out of the question for a normal sequel, there's no reason to doubt that it can be done.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Are middle schoolers even allowed on this site?

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Anywho, any franchises you guys have come to enjoy and appreciate because of Smash Bros.?
:ultfox::ultmarth::ultmegaman::ultness::ultpit::ultsnake::ultsonic::ultvillager:(played a game from all, but only completed games from :ultmarth::ultpit::ultsonic:)

If I didn’t play or know about :ultbayonetta::ultduckhunt::ultinkling::ultlittlemac::ultryu::ultsamus::ulttoonlink: before they joined Smash, I’d place them with the others
Pretty much. But a reboot in the sense that most everything included up to this point is dropped and they start fresh. Reboots don't necessitate that you switch the games entire genre as some are suggesting.
I didn’t even think about changing the genre (that would be the worst thing Nintendo could do to something as sacred and unflexible as Smash)...that’d be a bad idea

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If Smash was 'rebooted' after Ultimate, I just want new movesets for all characters from 64 and Melee.

Most of them need the re-imagining.
Yeah, if Donkey Kong was made today he'd have a barrel toss proectile and Yoshi wouldn't be a heavy-weight for it's own sake.

And don't get me started on Samus.

Chron

Smash Journeyman
That's already a thing. We call it "Stamina Mode". :smirk:
As the default, you know what I meant.
Good question! The only solid answer I can give is "We'll find out in due time." But Smash can be played with a single Wii Remote as well as on a small screen and platformers and even traditional fighting games have been on mobile. With that in mind, as well as with the tweaks that a reboot would allow for that would normally be out of the question for a normal sequel, there's no reason to doubt that it can be done.
One thing I forgot on my list of things to never be in Smash. Touchscreen controls.

Last edited:

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
I feel, a little bad now, Monika's just my profile picture,(and best girl) I'm a male (further destroying my ablity to be taken seriously on the internet ror serious discussions)
W-Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?!? :c

...It's all right. I wasn't expecting you to be the opposite sex by the way that you posted, anyways.

Are middle schoolers even allowed on this site?
Yes, it's really safe and fine, Mr. Bulbasaur. This is what makes this site stranger.

Sonic Poke

Smash Lord
I made a post DLC roster I wanted to share with you guys:

This roster consider Vergeben correct, so it contains Incineroar, Isabelle and Ken.
Unique Fighters (11):
Inkling, Ridley, Simon, King K. Rool:
Confirmed
Skull Kid: Not because of some chairs, he looks really likely due to assist trophy replacement.
Dillon: Among the other assist trophy absences, he seems to be the most likely. He has lots of potential anfd it seems about time to promote this IP.
Isaac: Smash Ballot.
Incineroar: Seems like he is the one who gonna be heavily featured in the anime, just like Greninja, Lucario and Mewtwo were last time.
Lloyd: DLC pack 3 mii costume along with Chrom and K. Rool.
Celica: Fire Emblem needs more reps. Now seriusly, If we are getting a FE newcomer it is her.

Echo Fighters (12):
Dark Samus, Daisy, Chrom, Richter:
Confirmed
Ninten: Seems really easy to implement and makes a lot of sense. He is Lucas's echo since he does not have a yo-yo.
Isabelle: New face of animal crossing.
Black Knight and Shadow: There was a really similar model to Black Knight on Castle Siege, that is now gone for no obvious reason, parhaps to avoid confusion with a now playable character. Shadow's Assist trophy is likely gone gone as well. Black Knight was a DLC pack 3 mii costume along with Chrom and K. Rool. And with Dark Samus and Dark Pit it seems we are getting some dark themed echo fighters.
Dixie Kong: Change Diddy's Up-B, give him Tiny Kong's Feather Bow, and ta-da, Dixie.
Ken: Original Echo Fighter.

DLC (07):
Banjo, Lara Croft, Dante and Rayman:
Sakurai said only gaming icons were allowed so here they are.
Spring Man and Rex: Obvious first party picks
Team Rocket: I know they are kinda impossible, but if there is a time for them is now, with Pokemon Let's Go. And they are my dream picks.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Seriously though, is Noipoi Noipoi the only other high schooler besides me here?
Ain't our fault y'all are so young. I've been on this site since I was 14, and I'm about to turn 20. One day you'll be an old asshole like the rest of us.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom