• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chron

Smash Journeyman
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Smash reboot should be a 2D fighter like Street Fighter, or an anime 2D fighter like Guilty Gear.
I'd like 3D with an anime art style like Dragonball FighterZ. (Marth and Roy would look so cool)

Last edited:

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Well....I do want a Smash game, but if the reboot was inevitable, rather than it being a 2D fighter like SF, I think the game should be more geared at RPG gamers. So, something like Octopath Traveler, Bravely Default, you name it.
So you're saying not a Smash game just another crossover.

I'm still waiting on Nintendo vs Capcom as a spiritual successor to MvC
RIGHT?
I dream of this every day. At least I did before Infinite...

Dendros

Smash Apprentice
I noticed something weird about the newcomer reveals. Other than Inkling (Who I can't blame for shoving out ASAP, it was too obvious), the Unique Newcomer reveals are in chronological order!

Ridley - August 1986
Simon - September 1986
K. Rool - November 1994

Echoes seem to be exempt from this (Chrom is younger than Dark Samus but was revealed earlier). If this pattern holds (which would surprise me, it's probably just a coincidence), then the next newcomer revealed is probably either Geno or Bandana Dee. Thoughts?
Inkling?

Nap_

Smash Journeyman
Okay, changing the subject. If Nintendo were to release a Season Pass with every DLC character to be released during the 1st year of the game's release, would you purchase it?
Yep, I'll buy every fighter, if I can get some discount, better.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I still need to see Ryu Hayabusa get in. Sakurai most likely would give him the Simon treatment in terms of what appearance he may get, but I'll take it if he gets in.

Edit: Or maybe the Cloud treatment, which would be better.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I'm still waiting on Nintendo vs Capcom as a spiritual successor to MvC
I'd honestly just let Marvel do their own fighters, their mobile one is averagely decent I guess. I don't think Nintendo is gonna dive into the traditional fighter market for now since Smash Ultimate is a thing. I guess X Zone fighter with some Nintendo guests makes sense to me ATM.

Chron

Smash Journeyman
Okay, changing the subject. If Nintendo were to release a Season Pass with every DLC character to be released during the 1st year of the game's release, would you purchase it?
Do I have a choice?

Last edited:

Depressed Gengar

Hana Is Best Girl
Also question for everyone...does anyone think Geno would be a more hype reveal than Ridley or King K. Rool??? I defintely don't think he's more popular so that just doesn't sound right.
A more hype reveal? No.

A reveal that could actually come close to the hype of Ridley and K. Rool's? Yes.

I mean, Geno's definitely not on Ridley or K. Rool's tier of popularity before they were shown off, but he's one of the few who actually rivals their popularity. Honestly, Waluigi's the only other character I can think of who's that close to the reptiles's popularity (too bad that one won't happen anytime soon).

:094:

7982Brick

Smash Cadet
I mean, the amount of days until Thursday are low. There's only tomorrow and Wednesday until then, and honestly, if the Direct were to come tomorrow, I'd imagine they'd have said something by now. So basically, it's Wednesday and Thursday. Not a lot of days left for it to happen.

:094:
Cannot be Wednesday since Apple has its keynote on Wednesday and would completely overshadow a Nintendo direct. At this point, we just need to accept that the Nintendo direct days will be this Thursday.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
While this is a neat pattern, the fact that it is immediately wrong because it dismisses the Inkling makes it unlikely.

Also question for everyone...does anyone think Geno would be a more hype reveal than Ridley or King K. Rool??? I defintely don't think he's more popular so that just doesn't sound right.
No I feel as though Geno is a very polarized character. You either love him and are resolutely devoted to him to the point where virtually no other character will do, or you find him more or less unappealing and are dumbfounded why everyone is so obsessed with him, or how they became that way when he's done so very little in gaming and is hardly different from any other "cool" supporting character in JRPGs.

I'm more in the latter camp for sure. I don't see what makes Geno a good pick over other characters who are of identical significance and circumstance like Dunban, Camus, Vincent Valentine etc.

JustCallMeJon

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3067-7373-5050
Switch FC
SW 4274 8573 0226
Just to not get bored, there is a leak that showed Karate Joe as a character for Smash
Ultimate.
More info, here is the link:http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/430852580

Here are the "leaked" pictures: Like always, take it with a grain of salt.

What is your thoughts?

Edot: Debunked, Little Late lol

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I feel like Luffy has a very Smash friendly set of attacks, and One Piece is, very unashamedly, one of my favorite series.
I am caught up with it, even.
Dude, I tried to, but I always got behind more than forward when I remembered that I was reading it. :drflip:and i read all the joj chapters and there's more chapters than one piece atm

Just to not get bored, there is a leak that showed Karate Joe as a character for Smash
Ultimate.

What is your thoughts?
Said it before, will say it again: Baby's first leak.
you're also very late cause we already dismissed it to the trash

Last edited:

7982Brick

Smash Cadet
Ultimate.

What is your thoughts?
This looks painfully fake also karate Joe seems to be placed over the pictures and doesn't blend with everything else.

Sleeps with Butterflies

Smash Apprentice
Ultimate.

What is your thoughts?
My thoughts are that he looks quite out of place. Not like he doesn't fit in, but like it looks like someone photoshopped him in, lol.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
He did say “other than Inklings”
Ultimate.

What is your thoughts?
Don’t like it
This was already debunked.
Good
I excluded them because they're treating them weirdly, almost like vetreans (Just being casually mentioned in the EVERYONE IS HERE trailer). I doubt it's anything more than a coincidence, but it's interesting to think about.
Seems more like they were given the “you have a special place in Nintendo now, so you get to reveal Smash Ultimate without dying”
My top three choices
  • Team Rocket - Jessie, James, and Meowth
They’re in a video game, so...next Smash

Kirbeh

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
If we get a reboot I still want Smash to be Smash. Just retool whatever veterans return to keep them fresh. Make most of the available stages, items, etc. new. Add in some new attacks like upward and downward diagonal tilts. Since some characters can't angle their forward tilts, maybe those characters have completely new moves mapped to diagonals. Smash Bros. is basically command normals the game as it is.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
No
Hey all, any news so far? If not, I’ll go back to lurking.
nothing yet
If we get a reboot I still want Smash to be Smash. Just retool whatever veterans return to keep them fresh. Make most of the available stages, items, etc. new. Add in some new attacks like upward and downward diagonal tilts. Since some characters can't angle their forward tilts, maybe those characters have completely new moves mapped to diagonals. Smash Bros. is basically command normals the game as it is.
So...just a sequel

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Anywho, any franchises you guys have come to enjoy and appreciate because of Smash Bros.?
:ultfox::ultshulk::ultpit::ultmarth::ultlink: here you go.
Come up with a paragraph or two pitching your favorite newcomer directly to Sakurai, ready go.
Sakurai you've to try to make newcomers as unique as possible even now you try to give Echo Fighters their own flair too. So allow me to draw your attention to a Capcom character, from the game Okami Amaterasu. Now I can understand what you're thinking she's not really that relevant, but that's never stopped you before. Okami has been on the Wii, the DS, and lastly the Switch, giving her a more than decent history with Nintendo, and history with nearly every console, and every game generation since Okami's release. You also can't find a game that uses the same art style as Okami.
Now onto the character, Amaterasu has a unique and appealing design due to being a quadruped which is uncommon in Smash, the sharp contrasts of her snow white fur against her crimson markings and with every step flowers bloom in her wake.

Gameplay wise, I picture her as character who use her Celestial Brush techniques, like how Duck Hunt use it's third party cover fire, allowing her to paint quickly in order to use her powerful techniques such as make windstorms, vine, bombs, firestorms, blizzards, and thunderbolts, also with the ink mechanic you can prevent her from abusing her brush techniques, and her weapons. You can mix and match her various weapons for every situation, or make her the first ever weapon stance character who can quickly change their weaponry at any time. Her reflector would be her balance yet close range weapon with a counter command grab that preforms an Izuna drop. Her Rosary beads double as a whip and high speed bullets for long range, and her mid-range sword can be used for slow yet powerful attacks. With all these abilities at her arsenal she would be a high speed, versatile combo character worthy of Smash.
If Shantae makes it in it's because her company went turbo mode and begged everyone on Twitter to vote for her.
If I recall Shovel Knight's company did the same thing too. Even Phil Spencer dropped a few hits to Sakurai about putting in Banjo Kazooie in Smash, and Ubisoft definitely wasn't against the idea of putting Rayman in Smash. When that ballot was announced everyone lost it. Getting the character you want in was like winning the last golden ticket to Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Kinda wanted a little more exact answer. Healthbar? Controls?
Sorry I'm just not really sure how to get at it beyond Street Fighter, though I'll try
Controls would be like...the whole gamepad setup, combos with tilting the stick and pressing buttons and not just the typical jab into forward tilt combos from Smash. Think like Ryu's combos in SF for everyone in Smash.
Healthbar and a super meter. Stocks become rounds won. You get? I'm probably no good at explaining this my apologies!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom