• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's an attempt at a "game"...

Favorite Song in the Entirety of Smash
Favorite Stage in the Entirety of Smash

Song: Pollyanna/I Believe In You (the alt song from Melee's Onett)
Stage: Hyrule Temple

I think I would love Midgar, but I never got to play it much, cause I dropped Smash 4 before Cloud's DLC was a thing. But it really feels like a "me" stage.
Favorite song
Favorite stage
Big Blue

Last edited:

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Just a question but was anybody actually asking to add a a lgbt character just on that alone? Heck, I'd settle for just some good lgbt characters existing in the first place. They're pretty far and few between. Only good one I can think of is Ellie from The Last of Us and that's certainly not getting in Smash.
There's plenty of good LGBT characters in gaming..its just honestly down to people's own opinions on if they are good.

For example, as a Transgirl, I adore Poison from Final Fight and Street Fighter. Sure, she began as a bad girl, but she's more neutral now. I like her since she has no apologies for being Trans and just lives true to herself, dressing and acting how she wants.

I also like Erica from Catherine. She's the most 'real' portrayal of a trans person I've seen in games. Lives as a woman with friends that knew her as a 'guy' and will poke fun of that, but will stand up for her if it's taken too far or from a stranger.

As for wanting someone in Smash based purely on being LGBT, no. I don't want any characters in just to be the token LGBT, token black, etc. Characters should get in based on their own merit, not something mundane like orientation, identity, or race.

Slavic

Ask not the sparrow how the eagle soars
Stickerbush Symphony (cliche I know, but I can't help it)
Magicant
ZINITH I AM SHOCKED, I COULD HAVE SWORN YOUR CHOICE WOULD HAVE BEEN FROM
XENOBLADE

as for my favorite song and stage in the game?

Not counting the Xenoblade rips, I'd have to go with Fire Emblem from Melee. That was my absolute jam and a perfect song for combat.

As for my favorite stage I have to go with Onett. I think Melee's stage inspiration is some of the strongest in the series, with a focus on weaving more abstract representations and references for a game rather than flying around direct rips of a location's model.

gloop898

Smash Cadet
I think with sexuality you can head cannon a lot of that. Like, is Ike gay is he not? You decide*. But with race/ethnicity you can't really headcannon that Mario is black when he's clearly not. I think getting some more representation in that way would be really cool. I think Nintendo themselves are getting a little better with this (Marina, Twintelle, Urbosa). But we've still got a ways to go. Anyway here's hoping Elma gets in, she seems like she'd be really neat.

Edit: *Not to say that LGBT+ representation doesn't matter

Last edited:

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
ZINITH I AM SHOCKED, I COULD HAVE SWORN YOUR CHOICE WOULD HAVE BEEN FROM
XENOBLADE

as for my favorite song and stage in the game?

Not counting the Xenoblade rips, I'd have to go with Fire Emblem from Melee. That was my absolute jam and a perfect song for combat.

As for my favorite stage I have to go with Onett. I think Melee's stage inspiration is some of the strongest in the series, with a focus on weaving more abstract representations and references for a game rather than flying around direct rips of a location's model.
Once the Mechonis Field theme gets in and/or a NLA stage does, those will be my top picks

xjthegulpin

Smash Apprentice
Favorite song: Outdoors at 7PM (Animal Crossing)
Favorite Stage: Kalos Pokemon League

Yes, I do like most of the Smashville/ Town and City music pls no h8.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion

I think I would love Midgar, but I never got to play it much, cause I dropped Smash 4 before Cloud's DLC was a thing. But it really feels like a "me" stage.
Song: Hyrule Temple

NintendoKnight

Smash Lord
Climbing the mountain I made from a molehill
NNID
Nin-Knight
That's pretty cool but even if it shows that Link is indeed Christian he wasn't included in smash because of that. That's the point in trying to make about all this. Smash isn't real life and isn't trying to represent real life which is indeed diverse it's a celebration of iconic Nintendo characters.
That wasn't the point of my showing the picture. (Also, the Christianity part was retconned with Ocarina of Time which established its own mythology and pantheon, which I appreciate much more because they had to create a unique religion and beings that influence the world. Though, the Christian undertones in Skyward Sword aren't counter-productive to said uniqueness.)

Just to state something, I'm a Christian. Do I need representation of that type? Not in the slightest. One of my favorite characters to play is Ganondorf, whom is more closely related with the Devil than anything else. He's kind of the anti-thesis to what I believe. But that isn't why he's in the game and it doesn't effect whether or not I play him.

Honestly, the whole representation in Smash thing needs to die. (Whether it be ideologies or repping certain games or what have you.) Characters rep themselves and nothing else.

DMTN

Smash Journeyman

Favorite song: Multi-Man Melee 1
Favorite stage: Corneria

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Again, not too big of a deal to me, but for characters of other races we got Ganondorf I guess. If people mentioning Urbosa counts, I don't see why Ganon wouldn't.

:ultganondorf: He's one of the cooler Nintendo villains anyway.

That said, again, characters should get in on merit and not brownie points( I personally hate tryhard affirmative action myself). But cool characters can come from anywhere.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Alright it's a touchy subject, but I can't keep quite about it now that it's on my mind. I'm going to go into my thoughts on LGBT "representation".

We don't need homosexual characters just so that homosexuals have someone to relate to. I'm a white, but I'm able to relate to people of color. I'm male, but I'm able to relate to female characters. I'm straight, but I'm able to relate to characters who aren't. I'm human, but I'm able to relate to an animated alien, robot or animal if they're written well enough. Why? Because my color, my gender, and my sexuality are not the entirety of my identity. They're but a small part of it.

The real reason we need LGBT+ representation in fiction because there's this prevailing image that being in one of those groups is "wrong and weird". Or that black people are "scary". Or that men are "tough" and women are "pretty". People need to be exposed to the idea that, no matter what color someone is or what gender they are or what their sexuality is, people are still people.

Now does every book, movie, show or game have to have a token gay character? No, no they don't. But there does need to be enough diversity out there that people get at least some exposure to it. And it's for this reason, it's why I don't think "ambiguous" characters don't cut it - because people can simply ignore it if it makes them uncomfortable.

Now hopefully this post won't make anyone upset, but I'm going to jump behind some form of cover now just to be safe.

D

Deleted member

Just gonna put it out there, there's another vaguely semi-romantic Fire Emblem ending between two characters of the same gender, There's always Lyn x Florina
View attachment 163021
And for her, there's no risk of having a hidden descendant retconned in down the line.

So if you want some (possible) LGBT undertones represented in Smash, you know who to push.

What? No, this isn't desperate pandering for more support, pft why whould you think that?
Welp, time to add to the list of reasons why I hate Lyn.

....not because any implications that she's LGBT, let me be clear before there's something blown out of proportion.
But because that will now be unironically used to cram her further down people's throats. :V

Blargg888

Oh okay.
NNID
Emerald_Latios
3DS FC
1977-0669-4694
Switch FC
SW-1254-5927-2992
I actually do have a character like me in Smash. Shulk is pretty much exactly me in terms of gender, sexuality, religion, and race. He's also an engineer like me. He even has similar hair color and style...

Anyway, I don't see any harm in others wanting a character they can relate to more.
For the record, Shulk isn’t strictly an anti-theist or aetheist, based on the events of XC.
Remember that at the end of XC, Shulk explicitly states that Zanza’s future and their future could have co-existed, a statement which defies a belief in anti-theism. Alvis also confirms this. And he’s obviously not an aetheist, given the events of XC as a whole. It’s pretty hard to not believe in gods when you literally kill one.
I’m pretty sure there is a term for what Shulk actually is, but I can’t remember it off the top of my head. It’s a pretty specific belief iirc, but there is a term for it.

Mutsukki

Smash Ace
I know approximately next to nothing concerning FF7 outside of what I know of Kingdom Hearts but even I wounld't ship that.
That is quite exactly why you wouldn't ship that.

Don't trust you know FF7 going by what you know of KH. I'm learning that the hard way through my first playthrough of it.

Chrono.

For the record, Shulk isn’t strictly an anti-theist or aetheist, based on the events of XC.
Remember that at the end of XC, Shulk explicitly states that Zanza’s future and their future could have co-existed, a statement which defies a belief in anti-theism. Alvis also confirms this. And he’s obviously not an aetheist, given the events of XC as a whole. It’s pretty hard to not believe in gods when you literally kill one.
I’m pretty sure there is a term for what Shulk actually is, but I can’t remember it off the top of my head. It’s a pretty specific belief iirc, but there is a term for it.
Agnostic? Probably something else though.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Well, the Xeno games in general loosely implement Nietzsche's writings, so...

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Welp, time to add to the list of reasons why I hate Lyn.

....not because any implications that she's LGBT, let me be clear before there's something blown out of proportion.
But because that will now be unironically used to cram her further down people's throats. :V
I don't think anyone is seriously using that as a reason for Lyn.

That said I getcha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom