• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrono.

1. Frogger - Iconic arcade machine, mobile game, etc. Most everyone knows Frogger.
  2. Sora - Kingdom Hearts is an iconic series, and since it's linked to Disney, I'm sure many people have at least heard of it, if not played one or two games in the franchise.
  3. Leon Kennedy/Jill Valentine - They've been around for a long time, and with the resurgence of Resident Evil and the upcoming Resident Evil 2 remake more people are gonna know about them than ever.
  4. Dante - Devil May Cry has lasted over the years, and the "featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series!" meme only helps his iconic-ness.
  5. Heihachi - Given Tekken's prevalence in the E-Sports genre, people within that community at the very least know of him through watching Tekken
  6. Lloyd Irving - Tales of is a huge series in Japan, but not so much in the West (It's got like medium popularity). Additionally, I would say that the series is known more than it's characters. Each Tales of game has a different cast and there are standouts in each one that Lloyd has to compete with.
  7. Professor Layton - Dude hasn't had a game in quite some time, especially since Level-5 has been working on Yokai Watch more recently
  8. Ryu Hayabasa - I'm surprised he's even on this list. Dude's an iconic NES character, but the prevalence of him and his series is practically nonexistent outside of Dead or Alive cameos. It's a real shame.
If I had to rank the series, it'd go like this:
  1. Kingdom Hearts
  2. Resident Evil
  3. Tales of
  4. Frogger
  5. SMT/Persona
  6. Tekken
  7. Devil May Cry
  8. Professor Layton
  9. Ninja Gaiden
I agree except on Layton and Ryu, I'd switch both with each other.

Iconic NES character goes a long way on it's own, especially with the fact that Ninja Gaiden itself was kept alive for a long time (with good reception to boot) and the last game was only in 2014. Couple that with his playable appearances in Dead or Alive, and you have a character that's relatively fresh on people's minds and hasn't really left.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Well holy **** (Didn't think we'd actually get something today)!

Well I guess we'll know for sure who will be intoduced in Smash Bros Ultimate next Thursday (Do hope nothing catastrophic happens to delay the info again)!

It's been bad enough that next Tuesday is a grim reminder of one tragic American event and that there have been some terrible storms all in Western part of the US (I think)!
.....at this point this will might as well be a meme.

As for Bioware after the recent things happening to them. Honestly I don't think they will live post Anthem. They're nearing on to EA's chopping block.

Last edited:

Meritocracy

Smash Apprentice
Date is 2017; it's 2018.
Its a past direct announcement from 2017
Whoops, now I feel more than a little bit stupid, thanks though.
Additionally, I came up with a little game, you are put in charge of developing a new mod that takes [fill in the blank charecter] and makes them so completely overpowered there is no beating them. How, specifically, do you go about it with your favorite charecter?

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
The best part is if we can't decide whether to put in Leon or Jill then, thanks to Simon, we can put one of them in as the base character and the other as an Echo Fighter, borrowing moves from each other, even.

Frogger's character trailer would have to sell me on him if he does become playable but they can be a great "extra third-party assist trophy" like Bomberman became.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Welcome to a Super Smash "Satire" show
This episode; "A New Pokémon Rep"

(Names will be used on fans representing each Pokémon to make it easier to follow. Also I've created this out of boredom, and thought it was fun. Reminder that this is fully satire of the Smash fandom and the views on different Pokémon characters. It's all for fun. If you feel offended I feel sorry for you, it's satire, comedy. Please enjoy.)

It all started with one teaser for Smash Bros. The final name, no one knows, but the Inklings, regular Mario and Link's Breath of the Wild is at place. Who else could come to this potential port, or perhaps a brand new game?

The early consensus; "EVERY SMASH get's a new Pokémon, who to pick this time?"

Decidueye; "It's logic guys. Greninja equals water, and Charizard alone equals fire. We NEED grass now. Hell, you think Ivysaur and Squirtle is coming back? Come on ..."

Tapu Koko; "Dude ... That's Pokkén all over again. I think Sakurai want's to do his own thing, you know? Tapu Koko is both prominent in the games and in the anime!"

Incineroar; "Anime? Come on ... I can agree that it's redundent with that stupid owl, but you think the anime will affect this game? Forgot the originated in a video game kind of deal? If there is anything, it will be based on the games. When did the anime really resonate with Smash exactly?"

Mimikyu; "HOLD UP! Have you seen the success of the Anime? Mimikyu is ****ing badass! After joining Team Rocket, Mimikyu is soo the star of the show!"

Meowth; "But ... Meowth is the star of the anime. Stupid Mimikyu. Coming here stealing his spot after all these years ..."

Decidueye; "Hahaha ... Meowth is already a Pokéball Pokémon, he won't be playable. The anime does not mean ****, you get that? Also, the choice IS easy, I mean, look at how popular Rowlet is."

Incineroar; "You said it ... Rowlet. That's not you, Decidueye. Also, if we look at Greninja, the concept art for the fully evolved starters was pretty late revealed and you were not even the coolest out of them!"

Decidueye; "You wait and see. Coming E3, you will all see!"

Mimikyu; "You're putting too much stock into it, you stupid owl, same with you smelly cat. MIMIKYU has the popularity, both in the show and in merchandise, just look how he sells."

Incineroar; "This is stupid. I'll let you two handle this on your own ..."

Comes E3;

Mimikyu; "HAH SEE? Ivysaur is back. The whole Grass, Water and Fire starter seems quite dead now, right? It only points to Mimikyu being the star."

Decidueye; "I ... Uh ... Ehm."

Meowth; "What are you stuttering about? At least you're not deconfirmed ... AGAIN. Meowth blasting off again into the abyss."

Decidueye; "You're right ... It's not over yet. JUST YOU WAIT. Decidueye will come, I'm sure of it."

Tapu Koko; "See, Mewtwo! Awright, anime does matter!"

*Everyone just stares at Tapu Koko's ridiculous line*

That one Raichu fan; "You know ... Now with echoes, and Pichu being back, wouldn't it be cool if Rai--"

Everyone; "NO! GET LOST RAICHU."

*Raichu never spoke again*

Consensus after E3; "It's most likely Decidueye or Mimikyu. Both fanbases are fighting over who ''deserves it'' more. While Tapu Koko, Incineroar and everyone else are pretty much silent at this point"

Verg strikes again;

Mimikyu; "Oh No! This can't be right. Verg was only lucky with Ridley, and Snake, and everything ... BUT NOT THIS"

Decidueye; "Finally, something we can agree on. How stupid can he be? He should have known that I'm the logic answer."

Incineroar; "You see now? Seems like I was right all along to play the silent game, because, look who just might have come out on top! Hahahaha."

*Gardevoir & Gothitelle leak appears out of nowhere*

Everyone; "Alright, Gardevoir is quite popular, and she has not been seen as a Pokéball Pokémon yet, but Gothitelle? What the hell, this is some real bull**** right there ..."

*Everyone dismisses this for a while and keeps arguing*

Comes the Smash Direct;

Mimikyu; "I don't feel so good. I don't know what's happening. I don't wanna go. I don't wanna go. Please, I don't want to go."

Meowth from a distance; "So ... you liked the anime, huh?"

*Tapu Koko decides to leave for good after being witness to Mimikyu Pokéball Assist*

Decidueye; "Oh God ... Mimikyu. ****. It was a massacre, all by a snap of a finger. Incineroar, I'm sorry ... I- uh ... I got to go."

Incineroar; "So, it's just me left, huh? Guess I'm the cool cat after all."

Gothitelle; "Nu-uh honey. I'm still in the running, don't you know."

Sceptile; "Yo ... Uhm. Remember ORAS was released during the ballot? Sceptile might sneak inn as the unseen new rep."

Incineroar; "Oh boy ..."

And that ends this session of "Super Smash Satire".
Hope you didn't hate it, I'm sure you were not expecting it, but I thought it was fun either way.
*Everyone dismisses this (The Gardevoir and Gothitelle leak) for a while and keeps arguing*
I wish that's what had happened.

Instead we got 2-3 weeks worth of debates about an obviously fake leak.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Topic: In terms of Japanese gaming icons known worldwide, where would you rank the following third-party characters in terms of iconicness:

-Leon Kennedy/Jill Valentine (Resident Evil)
-Heihachi (Tekken)
-Lloyd (Tales of)
-Frogger (Frogger)
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
-Ryu Hayabasa (Ninja Gaiden)
-Professor Layton (Professor Layton)
-Dante (Devil May Cry)
I'd also say "Monster Hunter" is pretty big as it's the first, latest, and currently only running hunting franchise that's popular throughout the globe and has yearly releases.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Additionally, I came up with a little game, you are put in charge of developing a new mod that takes [fill in the blank charecter] and makes them so completely overpowered there is no beating them. How, specifically, do you go about it with your favorite charecter?
Hey, I fell for it too buddy. Don't feel stupid!
Also, Falcon's Falcon Punch comes out as quick as a normal jab. Though he's only one of the 5 characters I "main".

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
I'd also say "Monster Hunter" is pretty big as it's the first, latest, and currently only running hunting franchise that's popular throughout the globe and has yearly releases.
If we're adding series to that post Persona and SMT are easily more recognizable than Ninja Gaiden and have the same amount of history with Nintendo.

Seriously. I'd say a Persona/SMT rep is one of the most underrated characters in this fandom.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I took the 2015 project plan in mind when creating this topic, MH did not become a big deal in the West until World came out in 2018.

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
Little Mac, but with Bayonetta's air game.

LetterO

Smash Lord

Well I guess we'll know for sure who will be intoduced in Smash Bros Ultimate next Thursday (Do hope nothing catastrophic happens to delay the info again)!

It's been bad enough that next Tuesday is a grim reminder of one tragic American event and that there have been some terrible storms all in Western part of the US (I think)!

Also! I'm still calling it! Isaac from Golden Sun, Isabella From Animal Crossing, Shadow The Hedgehog, And Skull Kid will be annouced in the 13th Direct)!
stop making me feel guilty

Chrono.

If we're adding series to that post Persona and SMT are easily more recognizable than Ninja Gaiden and have the same amount of history with Nintendo.

Seriously. I'd say a Persona/SMT rep is one of the most underrated characters in this fandom.
Don't forget Dragon Quest, it's sales figures alone are crazy. DQXI has sold over 3 million currently in Japan right now.

Although it is niche in the west, it's starting to rise up again with all the recent ports, remakes and games getting brought over. All thanks to the demand that's been there for years.

Last edited:

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio
Be respectful to others, please.
What's going on is that people get overhyped before finishing reading things so they stop.
Well **** me sideways!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"SIGHS" I really do wish they would just announce something already to where some ****tard dickhole wouldn't make these bull**** post to dupe up us completely!

And to whoever made the post! I simple say! **** YOU!

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
  1. Professor Layton - Dude hasn't had a game in quite some time, especially since Level-5 has been working on Yokai Watch more recently
???

The Layton series had a new game last year and an HD remake this year. Plus Level-5 confirmed a new game in the works last year that will most probably be revealed at next month Level-5 Vision.

The Layton series is still very alive and kicking.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I'd like to think that Nintendo would just go ahead with the Direct if they planned it on 9/11. Probably not the best day, but most of the world isn't going to observe what happened to the World Trade Center.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

Also! I'm still calling it! Isaac from Golden Sun, Isabella From Animal Crossing, Shadow The Hedgehog, And Skull Kid will be annouced in the 13th Direct)!
Dude read the year

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Marth but:
  1. He has his Melee grab distance
  2. His sword now has the range of Cloud's sword
  3. There's an extended tipper on the first third of the blade
  4. He's got his Ultimate changes (faster dancing blade)
  5. Dancing blade's recovery properties from Melee
  6. There's no frame lag on any moves
  7. He has slightly faster movement speed and is more difficult to KO
  8. Shield breaker kills instantly if it breaks your shield
  9. Shield breaker propels Marth forward, but still has full power
  10. Dolphin slash has double the vertical recovery
  11. Down-air always either meteor smashes or spikes

Last edited:

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
  1. Frogger - Iconic arcade machine, mobile game, etc. Most everyone knows Frogger.
  2. Sora - Kingdom Hearts is an iconic series, and since it's linked to Disney, I'm sure many people have at least heard of it, if not played one or two games in the franchise.
  3. Leon Kennedy/Jill Valentine - They've been around for a long time, and with the resurgence of Resident Evil and the upcoming Resident Evil 2 remake more people are gonna know about them than ever.
  4. Dante - Devil May Cry has lasted over the years, and the "featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series!" meme only helps his iconic-ness.
  5. Heihachi - Given Tekken's prevalence in the E-Sports genre, people within that community at the very least know of him through watching Tekken
  6. Lloyd Irving - Tales of is a huge series in Japan, but not so much in the West (It's got like medium popularity). Additionally, I would say that the series is known more than it's characters. Each Tales of game has a different cast and there are standouts in each one that Lloyd has to compete with.
  7. Professor Layton - Dude hasn't had a game in quite some time, especially since Level-5 has been working on Yokai Watch more recently
  8. Ryu Hayabasa - I'm surprised he's even on this list. Dude's an iconic NES character, but the prevalence of him and his series is practically nonexistent outside of Dead or Alive cameos. It's a real shame.
If I had to rank the series, it'd go like this:
  1. Kingdom Hearts
  2. Resident Evil
  3. Tales of
  4. Frogger
  5. SMT/Persona
  6. Tekken
  7. Devil May Cry
  8. Professor Layton
  9. Ninja Gaiden
Actually I would kinda switch the two different frogger spots. I don't have proof for it but I feel the series Concept/gameplay is more iconic than frogger as a spesific character.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'd like to think that Nintendo would just go ahead with the Direct if they planned it on 9/11. Probably not the best day, but most of the world isn't going to observe what happened to the World Trade Center.
Yeah. Not all Nintendo fans are American.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
The Mass Effect 3 debacle comes to mind...the “ending” caused a BUTTLOAD of backlash
I never played it any Mass Effect, but I heard about the backlash ME3 got. But I feel liked it pale in comparison to Andromeda, yikes. But not as yikes their faces in Andromeda.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Oh I think the website didn’t update again on smashbros

Now I’m almost positive we will get new stuff when the direct comes

Monday is probably a new stage or unique number 2

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
A Little Game for you all to pass some time:

Choose ONE Character to join Smash from each company!

-Capcom
-Namco Bandai
-Square Enix
-Blizzard
-Riot Games
-Ubisoft
-Atlus
-SEGA
-Nintendo
-Valve
-Sony
-Microsoft
-Atari
-SNK
-Arc System Works
-BioWare
-NetherRealm
-Monolith Soft
-Platinum Games
-From Software
-Bethesda
-Rockstar
-Marvelous
-Naughty Dog
-Vicarious Visions
-Activision
:surprised: I don't know most of these companies...
-Capcom - Amaterasu (Okami)
-Namco Bandai - Ivy (Soul Calibur)
-Square Enix - Lara Croft (Tomb Raider)
-Blizzard - Some random player character (World of Warcraft)
-Riot Games :confused:
-Ubisoft - Ezio (Assassin's Creed)
-Atlus :confused:
-SEGA - Tails (Sonic)
-Nintendo - Urbosa (Zelda)
-Valve - :ohwell:
-Sony - Nathan Drake (Uncharted)
-Microsoft - Master Chief (Halo)
-Atari :confused:
-SNK :confused:
-Arc System Works :confused:
-BioWare - Screw it, I'm going with my Inquisitor, Ragnar Cadash (Dragon Age)
-NetherRealm - :ohwell:
-Monolith Soft :confused:
-Platinum Games :confused:
-From Software :confused:
-Bethesda - DOVAHKIIN!
-Rockstar :ohwell:
-Marvelous :confused:
-Naughty Dog - see above
-Vicarious Visions :confused:
-Activision see above

a few of these seem to overlap a bit.

Also, very disappointed by the lack of Dovahkiin in other peoples' answers :hulk:

Guys, I have a very important question to pass the time. How did you first react when Smash for 3DS got leaked?
View attachment 162892
Can someone illuminate me on the dislike for 4's roster? I mean, I get some of it. Like I really didn't like Lucina, Dark Pit, wasn't super jazzed about Palutena but came to like her fine. Cloud bummed me out when he came around. However, Little Mac, Pac-Man, Duck Hunt, Villager, Rosalina, and especially Mega Man got me super hyped. They all felt like great, natural fits for the roster. Throw in Ryu with the DLC and it was even better in my mind.

Personally, I feel Melee had the most underwhelming additions. Game & Watch, Bowser, Ganondorf were cool. I main Dr. Mario now but couldn't have cared less at the time. I like the introduction of Fire Emblem to mainstream Western awareness. But lots of clones just made the roster feel so much smaller than it actually is. They added a lot of characters that filled gaps, which I respect and feel was definitely needed, but again lots of clones and little in terms of surprise or hype for me apart from G&W.

Not saying anyone who was disappointed in 4's roster is wrong or anything, I'm just confused by it.
For me, finding the final 4 roster was a huge disappointment.

I liked transformation mechanics, so I was bummed that they were removed. I loved playing Squirtle in Brawl, Mewtwo in Melee, and my cousin played Wolf pretty well exclusively; none of them showed up. I'd really hoped for Ridley and K.Rool since I started lurking here, and they were also gone. I was also still in my 'Smash Bros. is for Nintendo All Stars!' mode, so all of these new characters who didn't really have a measurable impact felt like interlopers, especially over other characters that could have been in. And zero love for the Zelda franchise, which was only made more obvious when the game actually released.

Iridium

Smash Hero
All of Marth's tippers KO at 0 from everywhere.

Link can now shoot Ancient Arrows, which KO opponents immediately if it hits their face/head (poor Kirby, LOL). He also has the ground speed of Greninja, and the air speed of Mario.

Meta Knight can now pull off 20 aerials across half of his jumps, so 40 for all. None of his specials leave him helpless, and each one can be used immediately after another.

If Captain Falcon ever hits you with Raptor Boost, he triggers a cutscene in which he forces you to sit down on a random chair to think about how you got hit for the rest of the game. If you are offstage, you die 5 seconds later instead.

If either of the Ice Climbers grabs you, they self-destruct DBZ-style by exploding in the upper blast zone, taking you with them.

King Dedede is already perfect, so he doesn't need anything. :troll:

Last edited:

MojoRobo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScientistRobo
Switch FC
SW-7435-3779-2976
ROB:
-Project M mobility alongside infinite fuel
-Gyro never spins out and it can only be picked up by ROB
-Gyro now always trips grounded opponents
-Nair now has the combo-breaking power of Luigi's while also being the same strong combo starter it was in 4
-Increase F-Smash's range to match Simon's and make it have the strongest hitbox all throughout. Give it the frame data of Meta Knight's F-Smash
-Make the explosion of U-Smash go as high as Palutena's, also make it have the same strength throughout
-Make U-Air kill at guaranteed beep boop percents
-Side-B breaks shields and cannot be escaped when shielded. On hit it's as difficult to break out of as Bayo's rapid jab and also kills
-Laser kills when fully charged. Full charge takes only one second to obtain now
-Dtilt always trips
-Standing grab is now a normal range, pivot grab is as big as Bowser's
-Utilt gives him invincibility to aerials
-Has third hit to his jab combo with the same power as Robin's gentleman jab
-Bair is as fast as Falco's
-The entirety of Dair spikes
-Fair now works like Bayo's Fair 1
-Dthrow grounded state cannot be mashed out of
-Uthrow now has the same knockback as Smash 4 Dthrow
-Bthrow is a kill throw
-Fthrow does as much damage as Mewtwo's
-Now has a taunt where he does a robotic laugh, just to tilt your opponent more