• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
A Little Game for you all to pass some time:

Choose ONE Character to join Smash from each company!

-Capcom
-Namco Bandai
-Square Enix
-Blizzard
-Riot Games
-Ubisoft
-Atlus
-SEGA
-Nintendo
-Valve
-Sony
-Microsoft
-Atari
-SNK
-Arc System Works
-BioWare
-NetherRealm
-Monolith Soft
-Platinum Games
-From Software
-Bethesda
-Rockstar
-Marvelous
-Naughty Dog
-Vicarious Visions
-Activision
Let's do this.
Empty Roster.png

• Capcom - Dante: Iconic crossover character, has a lot of moveset potential.
  • Namco Bandai - Lloyd Irving: Two swords for 200% effort.
  • Square Enix - Sora: Technically doesn't count, but he needs Normura's approval, so lets go with him.
  • Blizzard - Tracer: Overwatch is a huge game worldwide, and Tracer could definitely bring something to the table.
  • Riot Games - Do I have to? **** it. Lets go with Teemo: For the memes.
  • Ubisoft - Rayman: The only option really.
  • Atlus - JOKER: Enough said.
  • SEGA - Arle Nadja: A puzzle rep could be really fun to play as.
  • Nintendo - Isaac: Lets complete the holy trinity once and for all.
  • Valve - Gordon Freeman: Iconic, and maybe we could get Half-Life 3 in Smash Bros.
  • Sony - Kratos: Again, dude's iconic.
  • Microsoft - Banjo & Kazooie: Bring 'em home.
  • Atari - ET: Again, for the memes.
  • SNK - Terry Bogard: Don't know enough about him, but he looks pretty cool.
  • Arc System Works - Ragna the Bloodedge: Seems to be the only choice here.
  • BioWare - They don't get a character because they're a **** company. If I have to though, I choose Commander Shepard.
  • NetherRealm - Sub-Zero: They're not going to get a character, but if they did Sub-Zero would be the coolest in my opinion.
  • Monolith Soft - Does KOS-MOS count? If she does, lets go with her.
  • Platinum Games - 2b: An odd pick, but she's massively popular, as is her game.
  • From Software - Solaire: Dark Souls is an iconic series, so he'd be the best choice.
  • Bethesda - Doom Slayer: He's the father of the FPS genre. That's gotta be worth something.
  • Rockstar - John Marston: I think a cowboy could be pretty fun to play as.
  • Marvelous - Asuka: Again, she's kinda the only choice here
  • Naughty Dog - Crash Bandicoot: Easy. Dude's the mascot of the early Playstation. Him vs. Mario vs. Sonic would be great to see
  • Vicarious Visions - Spongebob: They developed Battle for Bikini Bottom, Spongebob's most prominent game, so it counts. Get him in here.
  • Activision - Spyro: Kinda meh compared to the other console mascots, but I guess he's okay.
All-in-all a great roster. 11/10

P.Kat

Smash Champion
If you think the announcement will happen soon then open the main Japanese Nintendo twitter account in a new tab, go about your smashboards business and then when a (1) shows up in the tab, check it out.

https://twitter.com/nintendo

I'm in the wrong timezone so I'll leave in the hands of you lot in the New World.
Good luck
But if they find One Piece before you?
Dude I saw Infinity War twice in the span of two days. Just cause I know what's gonna happen doesn't take away my enjoyment.
Exactly it's the Journey, not the Destination.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Topic: In terms of Japanese gaming icons known worldwide, where would you rank the following third-party characters in terms of iconicness:

-Leon Kennedy/Jill Valentine (Resident Evil)
-Heihachi (Tekken)
-Lloyd (Tales of)
-Frogger (Frogger)
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
-Ryu Hayabasa (Ninja Gaiden)
-Professor Layton (Professor Layton)
-Dante (Devil May Cry)

Last edited:

StormC

Smash Hero
Just so you guys know, I was at a party last night and this was on their wall:

D026677B-19C1-460B-848A-D18B7979307A.jpeg

These “hints” have gotten a little too real for me.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
If Nintendo is indeed going to post an update soon, we should hear something from Nintendo Japan around 7-8 pm CST. It''ll be around 9:00-10:00 AM Monday in Japan.

Shroob

Sup?
If tonight's blog post is skipped over as well, gonna be hard not to hype myself into thinking that maybe we could have gotten a 2nd newcomer or an Echo fighter.

ColietheGoalie

Smash Lord
Let's do this.
View attachment 162904
  • Capcom - Dante: Iconic crossover character, has a lot of moveset potential.
  • Namco Bandai - Lloyd Irving: Two swords for 200% effort.
  • Square Enix - Sora: Technically doesn't count, but he needs Normura's approval, so lets go with him.
  • Blizzard - Tracer: Overwatch is a huge game worldwide, and Tracer could definitely bring something to the table.
  • Riot Games - Do I have to? **** it. Lets go with Teemo: For the memes.
  • Ubisoft - Rayman: The only option really.
  • Atlus - JOKER: Enough said.
  • SEGA - Arle Nadja: A puzzle rep could be really fun to play as.
  • Nintendo - Isaac: Lets complete the holy trinity once and for all.
  • Valve - Gordon Freeman: Iconic, and maybe we could get Half-Life 3 in Smash Bros.
  • Sony - Kratos: Again, dude's iconic.
  • Microsoft - Banjo & Kazooie: Bring 'em home.
  • Atari - ET: Again, for the memes.
  • SNK - Terry Bogard: Don't know enough about him, but he looks pretty cool.
  • Arc System Works - Ragna the Bloodedge: Seems to be the only choice here.
  • BioWare - They don't get a character because they're a **** company. If I have to though, I choose Commander Shepard.
  • NetherRealm - Sub-Zero: They're not going to get a character, but if they did Sub-Zero would be the coolest in my opinion.
  • Monolith Soft - Does KOS-MOS count? If she does, lets go with her.
  • Platinum Games - 2b: An odd pick, but she's massively popular, as is her game.
  • From Software - Solaire: Dark Souls is an iconic series, so he'd be the best choice.
  • Bethesda - Doom Slayer: He's the father of the FPS genre. That's gotta be worth something.
  • Rockstar - John Marston: I think a cowboy could be pretty fun to play as.
  • Marvelous - Asuka: Again, she's kinda the only choice here
  • Naughty Dog - Crash Bandicoot: Easy. Dude's the mascot of the early Playstation. Him vs. Mario vs. Sonic would be great to see
  • Vicarious Visions - Spongebob: They developed Battle for Bikini Bottom, Spongebob's most prominent game, so it counts. Get him in here.
  • Activision - Spyro: Kinda meh compared to the other console mascots, but I guess he's okay.
All-in-all a great roster. 11/10
What’d BioWare ever do???

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Topic: In terms of Japanese gaming icons known worldwide, where would you rank the following third-party characters in terms of iconicness:

-Heihachi (Tekken)
-Lloyd (Tales of)
-Frogger (Frogger)
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts)
-Dante (Devil May Cry)

Frogger > Dante > Sora > Leon/Jill > Heihachi > Lloyd > Ryu > Layton

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
Nope I didn't take the bait I saw the 2017 part

But anyway

Tonight or tomorrow we should end up with the annoucement

Check Sakurai could just do his echo(s) and unique(s) like with Lucina and robin just to dodge the leaders (beating the article/leakers on Wednesday)

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

-Heihachi (Tekken)
-Lloyd (Tales of)
-Frogger (Frogger)
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts)

-Dante (Devil May Cry)
  1. Frogger - Iconic arcade machine, mobile game, etc. Most everyone knows Frogger.
  2. Sora - Kingdom Hearts is an iconic series, and since it's linked to Disney, I'm sure many people have at least heard of it, if not played one or two games in the franchise.
  3. Leon Kennedy/Jill Valentine - They've been around for a long time, and with the resurgence of Resident Evil and the upcoming Resident Evil 2 remake more people are gonna know about them than ever.
  4. Dante - Devil May Cry has lasted over the years, and the "featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series!" meme only helps his iconic-ness.
  5. Heihachi - Given Tekken's prevalence in the E-Sports genre, people within that community at the very least know of him through watching Tekken
  6. Lloyd Irving - Tales of is a huge series in Japan, but not so much in the West (It's got like medium popularity). Additionally, I would say that the series is known more than it's characters. Each Tales of game has a different cast and there are standouts in each one that Lloyd has to compete with.
  7. Professor Layton - Dude hasn't had a game in quite some time, especially since Level-5 has been working on Yokai Watch more recently
  8. Ryu Hayabasa - I'm surprised he's even on this list. Dude's an iconic NES character, but the prevalence of him and his series is practically nonexistent outside of Dead or Alive cameos. It's a real shame.
If I had to rank the series, it'd go like this:
  1. Kingdom Hearts
  2. Resident Evil
  3. Tales of
  4. Frogger
  5. SMT/Persona
  6. Tekken
  7. Devil May Cry
  8. Professor Layton
  9. Ninja Gaiden

Last edited:

Chrono.

If tonight's blog post is skipped over as well, gonna be hard not to hype myself into thinking that maybe we could have gotten a 2nd newcomer or an Echo fighter.
A second update missing wouldn't necessarily mean a second character.

Could also talk about a new stage that came with the newcomer or something else.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Since there's maintenance now, then a Direct announcement sounds imminent right now. I do agree with Mr. Megaman: Monday is the last chance for the Direct.

I have to go to sleep now...Yawn.

Goodnight, friendo.
Good Night:)

Shroob

Sup?
A second update missing wouldn't necessarily mean a second character.

Could also talk about a new stage that came with the newcomer or something else.
Possible, but looking at the blog, there was like a week gap between Simon, K,Rool and then the reveal of Dracula's castle.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Here is my thoughts:

1. Frogger
2. Leon Kennedy/Jill Valentine
3. Dante
4. Professor Layton
5. Sora
6. Heihachi
7. Ryu Hayabasa
8. Lloyd

I have taken the casual audience into account when ranking. I feel Heihachi, Ryu, and Lloyd would be more well known with hardcore gamers.

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
What’d BioWare ever do???
Mass Effect Andromeda.

The entire thing.
Here is my thoughts:

1. Frogger
2. Leon Kennedy/Jill Valentine
3. Dante
4. Professor Layton
5. Sora
6. Heihachi
7. Ryu Hayabasa
8. Lloyd

I have taken the casual audience into account when ranking.
>Casual Audience
>Sora is below Dante (and Professor Layton)

If Kingdom Hearts doesn't appeal to the casual audience then I don't know what does.

Last edited:

John Dylan Smith

Banned via Warnings
West Chester Township, Butler County, Ohio

Damnit, it's the 13th.
Well holy **** (Didn't think we'd actually get something today)!

Well I guess we'll know for sure who will be intoduced in Smash Bros Ultimate next Thursday (Do hope nothing catastrophic happens to delay the info again)!

It's been bad enough that next Tuesday is a grim reminder of one tragic American event and that there have been some terrible storms all in Western part of the US (I think)!

Also! I'm still calling it! Isaac from Golden Sun, Isabella From Animal Crossing, Shadow The Hedgehog, And Skull Kid will be annouced in the 13th Direct)!

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?

Well I guess we'll know for sure who will be intoduced in Smash Bros Ultimate next Thursday (Do hope nothing catastrophic happens to delay the info again)!

It's been bad enough that next Tuesday is a grim reminder of one tragic American event and that there have been some terrible storms all in Western part of the US (I think)!
Should we tell him?

lightdrago

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW 2938 1058 0987
The Mass Effect 3 debacle comes to mind...the “ending” caused a BUTTLOAD of backlash
While I thought ME3's ending was fine (but what do I know? I didn't play the series till years later), but Andromeda was definitely a mess. I thought the game was average, but it messed up in a lot of areas.

I also spent $70 on that game when it went on sale for $20 only a few weeks later so I'm just a tad miffed about that situation...

Izayoi

zzz
NNID
iza-tomato

...You've been bamboozled my dear.

Look again.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118

Join our club

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Welcome to a Super Smash "Satire" show
This episode; "A New Pokémon Rep"

(Names will be used on fans representing each Pokémon to make it easier to follow. Also I've created this out of boredom, and thought it was fun. Reminder that this is fully satire of the Smash fandom and the views on different Pokémon characters. It's all for fun. If you feel offended I feel sorry for you, it's satire, comedy. Please enjoy.)

It all started with one teaser for Smash Bros. The final name, no one knows, but the Inklings, regular Mario and Link's Breath of the Wild is at place. Who else could come to this potential port, or perhaps a brand new game?

The early consensus; "EVERY SMASH get's a new Pokémon, who to pick this time?"

Decidueye; "It's logic guys. Greninja equals water, and Charizard alone equals fire. We NEED grass now. Hell, you think Ivysaur and Squirtle is coming back? Come on ..."

Tapu Koko; "Dude ... That's Pokkén all over again. I think Sakurai want's to do his own thing, you know? Tapu Koko is both prominent in the games and in the anime!"

Incineroar; "Anime? Come on ... I can agree that it's redundent with that stupid owl, but you think the anime will affect this game? Forgot the originated in a video game kind of deal? If there is anything, it will be based on the games. When did the anime really resonate with Smash exactly?"

Mimikyu; "HOLD UP! Have you seen the success of the Anime? Mimikyu is ****ing badass! After joining Team Rocket, Mimikyu is soo the star of the show!"

Meowth; "But ... Meowth is the star of the anime. Stupid Mimikyu. Coming here stealing his spot after all these years ..."

Decidueye; "Hahaha ... Meowth is already a Pokéball Pokémon, he won't be playable. The anime does not mean ****, you get that? Also, the choice IS easy, I mean, look at how popular Rowlet is."

Incineroar; "You said it ... Rowlet. That's not you, Decidueye. Also, if we look at Greninja, the concept art for the fully evolved starters was pretty late revealed and you were not even the coolest out of them!"

Decidueye; "You wait and see. Coming E3, you will all see!"

Mimikyu; "You're putting too much stock into it, you stupid owl, same with you smelly cat. MIMIKYU has the popularity, both in the show and in merchandise, just look how he sells."

Incineroar; "This is stupid. I'll let you two handle this on your own ..."

Comes E3;

Mimikyu; "HAH SEE? Ivysaur is back. The whole Grass, Water and Fire starter seems quite dead now, right? It only points to Mimikyu being the star."

Decidueye; "I ... Uh ... Ehm."

Meowth; "What are you stuttering about? At least you're not deconfirmed ... AGAIN. Meowth blasting off again into the abyss."

Decidueye; "You're right ... It's not over yet. JUST YOU WAIT. Decidueye will come, I'm sure of it."

Tapu Koko; "See, Mewtwo! Awright, anime does matter!"

*Everyone just stares at Tapu Koko's ridiculous line*

That one Raichu fan; "You know ... Now with echoes, and Pichu being back, wouldn't it be cool if Rai--"

Everyone; "NO! GET LOST RAICHU."

*Raichu never spoke again*

Consensus after E3; "It's most likely Decidueye or Mimikyu. Both fanbases are fighting over who ''deserves it'' more. While Tapu Koko, Incineroar and everyone else are pretty much silent at this point"

Verg strikes again;

Mimikyu; "Oh No! This can't be right. Verg was only lucky with Ridley, and Snake, and everything ... BUT NOT THIS"

Decidueye; "Finally, something we can agree on. How stupid can he be? He should have known that I'm the logic answer."

Incineroar; "You see now? Seems like I was right all along to play the silent game, because, look who just might have come out on top! Hahahaha."

*Gardevoir & Gothitelle leak appears out of nowhere*

Everyone; "Alright, Gardevoir is quite popular, and she has not been seen as a Pokéball Pokémon yet, but Gothitelle? What the hell, this is some real bull**** right there ..."

*Everyone dismisses this for a while and keeps arguing*

Comes the Smash Direct;

Mimikyu; "I don't feel so good. I don't know what's happening. I don't wanna go. I don't wanna go. Please, I don't want to go."

Meowth from a distance; "So ... you liked the anime, huh?"

*Tapu Koko decides to leave for good after being witness to Mimikyu Pokéball Assist*

Decidueye; "Oh God ... Mimikyu. ****. It was a massacre, all by a snap of a finger. Incineroar, I'm sorry ... I- uh ... I got to go."

Incineroar; "So, it's just me left, huh? Guess I'm the cool cat after all."

Gothitelle; "Nu-uh honey. I'm still in the running, don't you know."

Sceptile; "Yo ... Uhm. Remember ORAS was released during the ballot? Sceptile might sneak inn as the unseen new rep."

Incineroar; "Oh boy ..."

And that ends this session of "Super Smash Satire".
Hope you didn't hate it, I'm sure you were not expecting it, but I thought it was fun either way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom