• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Guys, I have a very important question to pass the time. How did you first react when Smash for 3DS got leaked?
View attachment 162892
I was a little bit skeptical, but it lined up perfectly with the Ninka/Vaanrose leak which I already believed due to the evidence provided alongside it. Once the videos came out I was convinced, as they looked natural. A lot of people tried to deride them as Brawl mods, but the thing about most Brawl mods is that you can tell that they're mods. The animations look clunky, and lack the natural flow of animations. The only exception to this is, of course, Project M (rest in piece), but they had better things to do than make fake leaks.

Sharkarat

Gibdo Knight
3DS FC
3754-7599-5366
I’ll leave this here as a final comment instead of beating the living horse until it decides to die
“The Mario universe is so expansive, in fact, that Yoshi, Donkey Kong and Warioare considered stars of their own sub-universes: Yoshi from the Yoshiuniverse, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong and King K. Rool from the Donkey Kong universe, and Wario from the Wario universe.”
It’s better to respect one another’s opinion on how the Mario series is to be treated than to make some sort of infinity civil war out of it

Series, not character (unless I’m reading your comment wrong cause “DK is not Mario” is a weird sentence to have)
Not do drag it up again, but the weirdest part of Mario representation is Wrecking Crew stage getting its own icon for some reason while Golden Hammer, which originate there, is still labeled Mario.

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
:laugh::laugh::laugh: LMAO just HOW did you guys fall for that?

So favorites for each game?

:fox64::pikachu64::ness64::link64::mario64:
:roymelee::marthmelee::sheikmelee::peachmelee::mewtwomelee:
:wolf::toonlink::lucario::zerosuitsamus::pit:
:4lucina::4bowserjr::4bayonetta::4greninja::4littlemac:
:ultrichter::ultdaisy::ultkrool::ultridley::ultinkling: (so far)
This is a tricky one, because I want to separate out my preferences from one game bleeding into another. Nonetheless...

64: I've never played it.
Melee::icsmelee::peachmelee::drmario::marthmelee::bowsermelee:
Brawl: :rob::metaknight::wario::sonic::dedede:
Sm4sh: :4charizard::4ryu::rosalina::4feroy::4pacman:
Ultimate: :ultkrool::ultridley::ultdarksamus::ultsimon::ultinkling:

My favourite characters in each game are often not the newcomers, and Smash 4 in particular was a set I had a strong distaste for (hence why I am kinda cheating with Zard). I would like to do it again, with my 5 favourite characters in each game not assuming newcomers:

Melee: :jigglypuffmelee::icsmelee: / :peachmelee::drmario::marthmelee: (yeah I basically only play Jiggs and ICs in Melee. I am a troll. I know)
Brawl: :popo::metaknight::rob::marth::sonic:
Sm4sh: :4rob::4charizard::4bowser::4link::4dedede:
Ultimate: (predicted) :ultrob::ultkrool::ulticeclimbers::ultsimon::ultyounglink:

Last edited:

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo's doing 10 hours of online maintenance today. Looks like the update is coming very soon.

Last edited:

Fenriraga

You have the strength to overcome your destiny!
Writing Team
NNID
DarkAura
I got bamboozled by someone sending me a tweet for a September 14th direct...

From last year.

:drsad:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
I found this leak:

http://boards.4chan.org/v/thread/430959934#p430960336

Good day everyone. I have insider information on Smash Ultimate. Here’s the information I have.
>Skull Kid is revealed in the Nintendo Direct. In his trailer Young Links Final Smash is revealed, a flurry of blows from Fierce Deity, like the Triforce Slash.Black Shadow is also revealed as a Captain Falcon Echo.
>Bandana Dee and Magalor are both in the game.
>Decidueye is in the game as a playable fighter, not Incineroar.
>Isaac is in the game with Felix as an Echo.
>Geno is in the game.
>The last newcomers that will be revealed are Banjo and Kazooie.
>The remaining echo fighters are Shadow, Ken, Isabelle, and Medusa.
>There is a Dry Bowser alternate skin for Bowser. It turns his neutral special purple.

>Spirits mode is a spiritual successor to Subspace Emissary. The levels are not original creations and take inspiration from characters’ worlds, like Melee’s Adventure Mode. I don’t have story details, as my source didn’t want to spoil it, but I was told it’s as good as Brawl’s and

>103 is not the final stage count.

>Chibi-Robo, Custom Robo are both assist trophies.

>Flamberge, Francisca, and Zan Partizanne are also one assist trophy.

>Stage Builder is back and is a lot better.

>Every character has their own Break the Targets stage. Board the Platforms does not return.

>Neither Smash Run nor Smash Tour are returning.

>Custom moves do not return, with the exception of the Mii Fighters. Medusa borrows some of Palutena’s custom moves from Smash 4, however.

I think it's real because it has both Bandana Dee and Magolor, my two most wanted newcomers.

BeardyBennett

Smash Apprentice
Can someone illuminate me on the dislike for 4's roster? I mean, I get some of it. Like I really didn't like Lucina, Dark Pit, wasn't super jazzed about Palutena but came to like her fine. Cloud bummed me out when he came around. However, Little Mac, Pac-Man, Duck Hunt, Villager, Rosalina, and especially Mega Man got me super hyped. They all felt like great, natural fits for the roster. Throw in Ryu with the DLC and it was even better in my mind.

Personally, I feel Melee had the most underwhelming additions. Game & Watch, Bowser, Ganondorf were cool. I main Dr. Mario now but couldn't have cared less at the time. I like the introduction of Fire Emblem to mainstream Western awareness. But lots of clones just made the roster feel so much smaller than it actually is. They added a lot of characters that filled gaps, which I respect and feel was definitely needed, but again lots of clones and little in terms of surprise or hype for me apart from G&W.

Not saying anyone who was disappointed in 4's roster is wrong or anything, I'm just confused by it.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Nothing, but the fact that it's not Eggman is the problem. He's the Eggman. The one with the master plan.
What if I had chosen Dr. Robotnik instead of Dr. Eggman? (kidding, I know they're the same)

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
A Little Game for you all to pass some time:

Choose ONE Character to join Smash from each company!

-Capcom
-Namco Bandai
-Square Enix
-Blizzard
-Riot Games
-Ubisoft
-Atlus
-SEGA
-Nintendo
-Valve
-Sony
-Microsoft
-Atari
-SNK
-Arc System Works
-BioWare
-NetherRealm
-Monolith Soft
-Platinum Games
-From Software
-Bethesda
-Rockstar
-Marvelous
-Naughty Dog
-Vicarious Visions
-Activision
Only doing the ones with characters I’m at least vaguely familiar with

-Capcom - Phoenix Wright
-Namco Bandai - Heihachi
-Square Enix - Geno
-Blizzard - Tracer
-Ubisoft - Rayman
-Atlus - Joker
-SEGA - Eggman
-Nintendo - Skull Kid, Porky Minch, or Classic Ganon in that order
-Valve - Chell I guess? Haven’t played any other of their games
-Sony - Kratos (GoW 2018 Kratos, with a taunt switching between the Levithan Axe and the Blades of Chaos)
-Microsoft - Banjo-Kazooie
-Monolith Soft - Rex & Pyra
-Platinum Games - Rodin (even though he’s already an assist)
-From Software - Solaire
-Bethesda - Dragonborn
-Rockstar - Cole Phelps (permanently in a car, driving it recklessly)
-Activision - Crash Bandicoot

Meritocracy

Smash Apprentice
I found this leak:

Good day everyone. I have insider information on Smash Ultimate. Here’s the information I have.
>Skull Kid is revealed in the Nintendo Direct. In his trailer Young Links Final Smash is revealed, a flurry of blows from Fierce Deity, like the Triforce Slash.Black Shadow is also revealed as a Captain Falcon Echo.
>Geno is in the game.
>There is a Dry Bowser alternate skin for Bowser. It turns his neutral special purple.

>Spirits mode is a spiritual successor to Subspace Emissary. The levels are not original creations and take inspiration from characters’ worlds, like Melee’s Adventure Mode. I don’t have story details, as my source didn’t want to spoil it, but I was told it’s as good as Brawl’s and

>Every character has their own Break the Targets stage. Board the Platforms does not return.

>Custom moves do not return, with the exception of the Mii Fighters. Medusa borrows some of Palutena’s custom moves from Smash 4, however.

I think it's real because it has both Bandana Dee and Magolor, my two most wanted newcomers.
Likely fake, but it appears well done

Last edited:

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
Can someone illuminate me on the dislike for 4's roster? I mean, I get some of it. Like I really didn't like Lucina, Dark Pit, wasn't super jazzed about Palutena but came to like her fine. Cloud bummed me out when he came around. However, Little Mac, Pac-Man, Duck Hunt, Villager, Rosalina, and especially Mega Man got me super hyped. They all felt like great, natural fits for the roster. Throw in Ryu with the DLC and it was even better in my mind.

Personally, I feel Melee had the most underwhelming additions. Game & Watch, Bowser, Ganondorf were cool. I main Dr. Mario now but couldn't have cared less at the time. I like the introduction of Fire Emblem to mainstream Western awareness. But lots of clones just made the roster feel so much smaller than it actually is. They added a lot of characters that filled gaps, which I respect and feel was definitely needed, but again lots of clones and little in terms of surprise or hype for me apart from G&W.

Not saying anyone who was disappointed in 4's roster is wrong or anything, I'm just confused by it.
Two words: No Wolf

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I found this leak:

>Geno is in the game.

I like it. 10/10

KMDP

Smash Legend
I found this leak:

>Geno is in the game.

...Ahem...

"The last newcomers that will be revealed are Banjo and Kazooie."
Gonna have to call this line into question.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
So there's a scheduled maintenance?

Maintenance means upkeep.

Upkeep brings about stability.

Stability has been a feature of nearly every update.

You know what this means?

Epona confirmed for Smash. Sorry, Skull Kid. Better luck next time.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
So there's a scheduled maintenance?

Maintenance means upkeep.

Upkeep brings about stability.

Stability has been a feature of nearly every update.

You know what this means?

Epona confirmed for Smash. Sorry, Skull Kid. Better luck next time.
...to be fair...
...Epona IS one of the most recurring and important Zelda characters...

Iridium

Smash Hero
I found this leak:

>Geno is in the game.

Another "leak" everybody wants to see proven right (no Incineroar? :confused:), but sighs at, knowing it's too good to be true. It's like a never-ending cycle.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319

Plenty of simple reasons honestly:
-Brawl favorites cut- Snake, Wolf, PKMN Trainer (sans Charizard)

-Ice Climbers cut thanks to 3DS limitations yet could handle Rosalina & Luma and Duck Hunt for some reason.

-Fire Emblem line-up bloated from 2 to 6 characters nearly taking half of the roster. (Aside from Mario)

-No long-time highly requested characters like Ridley and K.Rool.

-Full clones brought back-Dr. Mario, Dark Pit, and Lucina.

That said, it’s better than Melee’s which has the worst roster imo but I think both are pretty mediocre lol.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
That said, if Skull Kid makes it in, I will eat a bowl of Wheaties with salt water and salt on top.

And record myself doing it.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
A Little Game for you all to pass some time:

Choose ONE Character to join Smash from each company!

-Capcom
-Namco Bandai
-Square Enix
-Blizzard
-Riot Games
-Ubisoft
-Atlus
-SEGA
-Nintendo
-Valve
-Sony
-Microsoft
-Atari
-SNK
-Arc System Works
-BioWare
-NetherRealm
-Monolith Soft
-Platinum Games
-From Software
-Bethesda
-Rockstar
-Marvelous
-Naughty Dog
-Vicarious Visions
-Activision
Capcom - Strider
Namco Bandai - Heihachi
Square Enix - Crono
Blizzard - Reaper
Ubisoft - Rayman
Atlus - Jack Frost
SEGA - Beat
Nintendo - Paper Mario
Valve - Scout
Sony - Kratos
Microsoft - Banjo
ArcSys - Hazama
Platinum - Raiden
Bethesda - Doomguy

Capcom was by far the hardest for me to choose. I had to juggle Dante, Phoenix, Amaterasu, Strider, and a few others... so I went with the one nobody talks about.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I found this leak:

>Geno is in the game.

Decidueye instead of Incineroar. I really want Decidueye but I don't think this is happening because Vergeben said Decidueye isn't getting in and mentioned that Incineroar might be getting in.

Why would Dry Bowser be an alternate skin and not an Echo Fighter if the alternate skin changes the fire color to purple? Not that I want Dry Bowser as an Echo Fighter, just questioning this logic.

No Board the Platforms and no Smash Run would be a little disappointing.

Medusa as a Palutena Echo would be disappointing if she didn't have the power to turn other characters to stone.

Iridium

Smash Hero
That said, if Skull Kid makes it in, I will eat a bowl of Wheaties with salt water and salt on top.

And record myself doing it.
Does that have anything to do with your description below your name? :troll:

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Okay, let's not mention the direct without sniping at each other. If somebody says something insensitive, don't reply to it, just report it. Yes, unfortunately, there's a reasonable possibility the direct was delayed also for something earthquake-related in the Direct itself. As a business, they have to avoid being extremely insensitive. They also obviously have to delay it so people can get back on their feet. I personally assume both things are a reason, sensitivity and to let its own country recover a bit.

The sniping however has to stop. This is no longer calling out, it's just going overboard because somebody said something a bit poorly. Besides, instead of creating tons of posts full of back and forth sniping, a simple report instead actually allows the issue to be fixed while not having other issues exist. If somebody is insensitive, the moderation will take care of it. If somebody replies back to flame them, the moderation still will do something about that too. We don't want uncivil behavior, even against people who made a poor statement. That does not justify flaming or trolling/etc. That only makes it worse.

So again, if you want to discuss the direct, that's fine, but keep it in good taste and report those who clearly are trying to cause issues. Do not respond to it. Do not take any bait thrown your way. We have to clean up the entire mess, after all.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well here's the thing to watch for it.

Nintendo's main aka Japanese Twitter hasn't cheeped since the delay so as soon as there's a tweet from it it'll probably be the news.

https://twitter.com/nintendo

Misery Brick

Smash Ace
NNID
miserybrick
3DS FC
0361-6354-4079
This was from a couple pages back, but I find it an interesting topic nonetheless:
Here's a question: What are some characters you guys feel are likelier than the community as a whole seems to think? Obviously this means no Skull Kids/Isabelles/Isaacs/Genos/etc etc.
I would say the Chorus Kids, but given they've been thrown on quite a few fake leaks and especially given we've had a couple discussions with them, idk if they still qualify. And I've talked about them to death, so there's that.
(Also, if you compare the "likely" characters for Ultimate to Smash 4's list, it's pretty crazy what's even considered. )
Even though it's still a Pokémon, I still think there is a good chance that we'll receive a Hoenn one.
It'd probably be Sceptile especially given from what I've seen and heard about considering fan polls. Although, even then he's still competing with other stand outs of the generation with Blaziken, Deoxys and maybe even Gardevoir.
While it may not be a lot, I think they have something in their favor as Gen 3 is highly regarded as a favorite generation and has quite a few promoted Pokémon around Smash 4's cycle. This might reflect on the ballot, especially since the fact that this game is mostly delivering on fan favorites or highly requested characters. Also, this helps their case since ORAS was relevant around the time of the formation of the design document

Then again, Sun and Moon marks Pokémon's 20th anniversary, so that might win out in the end. However, I think a Gen 3 Pokémon still has a shot.

This would be great, honestly. I just wish they could find a way to announce the actual date of the direct soon, even if it may hit around a week from now.
Just have these fake direct leaks be killed please.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom