• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Does that have anything to do with your description below your name? :troll:
I didn't earn my doctorate for nothing. You think the salt is your ally? You merely adopted the salt, but I was born in it! Molded by it! By the time I saw a positive reaction post I was already a man!

But Skull Kid would be fun... I just think two chairs are a little silly to be speculated on.

Kuon

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2294-4910-8117
Switch FC
SW-3044-7219-1427
I mean....I love Wolf. But I recently went back and played Brawl for like four hours with my buddy, and Wolf was.....rough to play as.
I'm sure if I were to play Wolf in Brawl after playing him in Ultimate I'd agree

BeardyBennett

Smash Apprentice
:laugh::laugh::laugh: LMAO just HOW did you guys fall for that?

So favorites for each game?

:fox64::pikachu64::ness64::link64::mario64:
:roymelee::marthmelee::sheikmelee::peachmelee::mewtwomelee:
:wolf::toonlink::lucario::zerosuitsamus::pit:
:4lucina::4bowserjr::4bayonetta::4greninja::4littlemac:
:ultrichter::ultdaisy::ultkrool::ultridley::ultinkling: (so far)
64 Mains: :falcon64::pikachu64::dk64:
MELEEEEEEEEEEE: :falconmelee::luigimelee::ganondorfmelee:
Brawl (opera intensifies): :luigi2::popo::rob::falcon:
The game with the worst name: :4ganondorf::4drmario::4megaman::4charizard::4rob: and my boi :4falcon: sadly becomes more of an occasional/pocket main.

Ultimate might be the first game where I don't at least semi-main the Captain :ultfalcon:

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I think Nintendo of America still has free reign to do their little social media / Treehouse shenanigans without having to involve Nintendo [anywhere else] so they're gonna keep posting on Twitter when they do things

Wheras directs kinda seem like they'd be a thing where every single one of the Nintendos have to be in on it, and since Nintendo Japan is currently out of commission so to speak none of the others are gonna bring it up.

If you really want to be F5'ing a twitter to see when things are going to be updated, I'd check out N Nintendo directly

uh, no pun intended

edit: i think I was ninja'd but idc

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Because if the contents of the Direct get leaked, then no one will watch it.
Ehhhh, not true. It's more than just the games. Don't forget that the presentation itself is full of things like Reggie talking, which actually helps present it well.

It's more than just the games, but the presentation as a whole. The whole thing is important.

I agree it would potentially lose viewers, but nobody? That's way overestimating the reactions towards this. The leaks didn't stop people from watching any Smash or Nintendo direct before, why would it now?

Iridium

Smash Hero
And during this seemingly never-ending wait for the Direct, remember these great words from Jibblypuff_ Jibblypuff_ .

There was a problem fetching the tweet

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
Can someone illuminate me on the dislike for 4's roster? I mean, I get some of it. Like I really didn't like Lucina, Dark Pit, wasn't super jazzed about Palutena but came to like her fine. Cloud bummed me out when he came around. However, Little Mac, Pac-Man, Duck Hunt, Villager, Rosalina, and especially Mega Man got me super hyped. They all felt like great, natural fits for the roster. Throw in Ryu with the DLC and it was even better in my mind.

Personally, I feel Melee had the most underwhelming additions. Game & Watch, Bowser, Ganondorf were cool. I main Dr. Mario now but couldn't have cared less at the time. I like the introduction of Fire Emblem to mainstream Western awareness. But lots of clones just made the roster feel so much smaller than it actually is. They added a lot of characters that filled gaps, which I respect and feel was definitely needed, but again lots of clones and little in terms of surprise or hype for me apart from G&W.

Not saying anyone who was disappointed in 4's roster is wrong or anything, I'm just confused by it.
In my opinion, the 4 roster felt biased towards newer characters and expanding the battle to franchises I didn't care about (Kid Icarus, Xenoblade, more FE, Punch-Out, Wii Fit, Animal Crossing) whilst ignoring the core franchises I do (DK, Metroid, Zelda, Kirby). In retrospect, I can appreciate that. The only character the game added that genuinely got me hyped was Ryu, and that was DLC long after the original leak. The roster of newcomers just doesn't match Brawl, in my opinion. It didn't help that I'd lost my Brawl main, either.

Now Ultimate has rolled around and gave me back the characters I was missing (as well as the best newcomers the series has ever had so far, imo) I can appreciate what 4 was doing to the roster, as it introduces so many new franchises for fans of the newer things Nintendo has done. The characters themselves will never be for me though.

Ivander

Smash Legend
A Little Game for you all to pass some time:

Choose ONE Character to join Smash from each company!

-Capcom
-Namco Bandai
-Square Enix
-Blizzard
-Riot Games
-Ubisoft
-Atlus
-SEGA
-Nintendo
-Valve
-Sony
-Microsoft
-Atari
-SNK
-Arc System Works
-BioWare
-NetherRealm
-Monolith Soft
-Platinum Games
-From Software
-Bethesda
-Rockstar
-Marvelous
-Naughty Dog
-Vicarious Visions
-Activision
Okay:
-Capcom = Monster Hunter
-Namco Bandai = Nightmare
-Square Enix = Crono
-Blizzard = Tracer
-Riot Games = Who?
-Ubisoft = Rayman
-Atlus = Either the P3, P4 or P5 Protagonist.
-SEGA = Alis Landale
-Nintendo = Ray 01
-Valve = Gorden Freeman
-Sony = Wander from SotC
-Microsoft = Master Chief
-Atari = I don't know.
-SNK = I don't know.
-Arc System Words = Sol Badguy
-BioWare = Minsc & Boo
-NetherRealm = Sub-Zero
-Monolith Soft = KOS-MOS
-Platinum Games = Wonder Red
-From Software = Katia from Lost Kingdoms
-Bethesda = Dragonborn
-Rockstar = Nope.
-Marvelous = Who?
-Naughty Dog = Jak & Daxter
-Vicarious Visions = Literally who?
-Activision = Crash

And to add some:
-Konami = Goemon
-Hudson = Bomberman
-NIS = Laharl
-Rare = Banjo & Kazooie

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Because if the contents of the Direct get leaked, then no one will watch it.
Not true.

Ehhhh, not true. It's more than just the games. Don't forget that the presentation itself is full of things like Reggie talking, which actually helps present it well.

It's more than just the games, but the presentation as a whole. The whole thing is important.

I agree it would potentially lose viewers, but nobody? That's way overestimating the reactions towards this. The leaks didn't stop people from watching any Smash or Nintendo direct before, why would it now?
Here's some reasons as to why.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796

Oh, and you forgot one thing. According to a user called 'Japanese3DS', Famitsu will only talk about very few Nintendo games. So there is a chance that we can see a Direct without anything of it being leaked too much.

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
They're in a really tight spot right now with this Direct.

If they do this Tuesday, many crappy, clickbait tabloids that I'm not going to name are going turn that direct into an outrage. Many folks have no issue with the date, but a loud minority who live to stir drama and controversy do, and I'm sure after last week, Nintendo wants as little of that as possible.

If they do it any later than Tuesday afternoon, then Famitsu is likely going to leak it all out anyway.

Wednesday is even worse, Apple's event is that day and the direct is going to be half wasted competing with them for headlines.

Monday is feasibly the only day they have left in the West. They have waited as long as they've possibly could. The timing is just really not on their side for this.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
If you think the announcement will happen soon then open the main Japanese Nintendo twitter account in a new tab, go about your smashboards business and then when a (1) shows up in the tab, check it out.

https://twitter.com/nintendo

I'm in the wrong timezone so I'll leave in the hands of you lot in the New World.
Good luck

P.Kat

Smash Champion

-Capcom
-Namco Bandai
-Square Enix
-Blizzard
-Riot Games
-Ubisoft
-Atlus
-SEGA
-Nintendo
-Valve
-Sony
-Microsoft
-Atari
-SNK
-Arc System Works
-BioWare
-NetherRealm
-Monolith Soft
-Platinum Games
-From Software
-Bethesda
-Rockstar
-Marvelous
-Naughty Dog
-Vicarious Visions
-Activision
-Capcom - Amaterasu
-Namco Bandai - Valkyrie
-Square Enix - Sora
-Blizzard - Tracer
-Riot Games ???
-Ubisoft - Rayman
-Atlus - Joker
-SEGA - Blaze the Cat
-Nintendo -
-Valve - ???
-Sony - Kat from Gravity Rush
-Microsoft - Banjo & Kazooie
-Atari - ???
-SNK - Hotaru Futaba from Garou: Mark of Wolves
-Arc System Works - Jubei from Blazblue
-BioWare - ???
-NetherRealm - Sub-Zero
-Monolith Soft - Elma
-Platinum Games - ???
-From Software - ???
-Bethesda - Dovahkiin
-Rockstar - ???
-Marvelous - ???
-Naughty Dog - Nathan Drake
-Vicarious Visions - ???
-Activision - Spyro

Guys, I have a very important question to pass the time. How did you first react when Smash for 3DS got leaked?
View attachment 162892
Well, someone is losing their job, Wait? Shulk? I wonder if he'll be fun to play as. Wait? Bowser Jr. ? Why?

Dark Pit? So I just get a clone of Pit? That's it?... Cool one of my secondary's gets a clone:)

Well Palutena and Lucina made it in so this roster is pretty good. I wish we could get Kamui (Corrin).

google chrom

Smash Apprentice
Almost 8 a.m in Japan, potential date to be announced tonight for everyone in the USA!

let's not lose too many brain cells thinking about it i know i am

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
Dude, this:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

I was the user who posted it originally. Check him out and do whatever you want with your trust.
Thanks. Nobody would really tell me if it was a genuine leaker or just a guy in the biz or what which is why I was confused.

Pyra

Aegis vs Goddess
NNID
ToasterBrains
Switch FC
SW 8322 4207 9908
I'm considerably more interested in what the Smash Blog will do tonight.

If they don't post anything, then I'm probably not holding out hope for a direct announcement, cause it'll pretty much just signal to me that they're still in lowkey mode

Unless I missed something ridiculous today, anyway. The Nintendo official twitter has been dormant since the 5th.

D

Deleted member

In regards to that Splatoon livestream, I'd like to remind everyone that the specific livestream Nintendo of Japan uploaded was from the NTT Credit Hall in Hiroshima as a part of the 4th Splatoon Championship Circuit. The Hokkaido part of the circuit was cancelled and they moved to the next one. Hiroshima is on the near southern part of Japan, where it only got scratched by the most recent typhoon and is nowhere near the areas where Japan is getting hit with disasters at the current moment. So yeah, it'd make sense to upload that part of the circuit on YouTube after it went off the air, just like how every other part of the circuit was.

I don't know why people are bringing this up in the first place when we know the delay was about the Earthquake; we're comparing a worldwide livestream to a Japan-exclusive championship tour. The Direct will no doubt come, but I just wanted to get that out there.

Regards to Smash, I don't think we're gonna get the newcomer leaked or anything. The leaks have slowed down immensely, so I wouldn't worry too much.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Zinith's revolution has begun

I tried to warn you.

jimmy-15-emergency-maximum-over-rustle-straight-in-full-stop.jpg

-Capcom
-Namco Bandai
-Square Enix
-Blizzard
-Riot Games
-Ubisoft
-Atlus
-SEGA
-Nintendo
-Valve
-Sony
-Microsoft
-Atari
-SNK
-Arc System Works
-BioWare
-NetherRealm
-Monolith Soft
-Platinum Games
-From Software
-Bethesda
-Rockstar
-Marvelous
-Naughty Dog
-Vicarious Visions
-Activision
Capcom: Morrigan
Namco Bandai: Klonoa
Square Enix: Loto
Blizzard: Olaf the Stout
Riot Games: don't care
Ubisoft: Rayman
Atlus: Jack Frost, hee-ho
Sega: Arle
Nintendo: Mona
Valve: The Spy
Sony: Parappa the Rapper
Microsoft: Banjo-Kazooie
Atari: Centipede?
SNK: Marco Rossi
Arc System Works: Kunio-Kun
BioWare: Shepard, I guess.
NetherRealm: Sub-Zero
Monolith Soft: Kos-Mos and/or Shion
Platinum Games: Jack Cayman
From Software: Solaire
Bethesda: Doom Marine
Rockstar: somebody from GTA, maybe
Marvelous: Katsuragi
Naughty Dog: Jak & Daxter
Vicarious Visions: Crash Bandicoot
Activision: Pitfall Harry

Potato_

Smash Lord
I'm considerably more interested in what the Smash Blog will do tonight.

If they don't post anything, then I'm probably not holding out hope for a direct announcement, cause it'll pretty much just signal to me that they're still in lowkey mode

Unless I missed something ridiculous today, anyway. The Nintendo official twitter has been dormant since the 5th.
I have a feeling they will post something, but it'll be another fighter summary or something.

If they don't post something again though it'll be hard not to hype myself up, that would be 2 announcements they delayed showing, which could mean 2 new things from the direct (and 2 new fighters??? Maybe???)

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Since there's maintenance now, then a Direct announcement sounds imminent right now. I do agree with Mr. Megaman: Monday is the last chance for the Direct.

I have to go to sleep now...Yawn.

Goodnight, friendo.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Imagine this in The final Smash Ultimate trailer.
What would be the internet's reaction?

fight_together_by_vitor_aizen-d8980tu.jpg

Raspberry

Smash Journeyman
I honestly believe that choosing not to broadcast the Direct on 9/11 because of what happened in 2001 is as respectful to the American public as it is disrespectful to the rest of the planet. Every country has its "cursed" dates, it would be impossible to keep track of all of them and, in my opinion, it would be unfair for Nintendo to selectively pay their respects for some territories and their tragedies while others are ignored.

The naysayers that are ready to criticise Nintendo, a Japanese company, for choosing to broadcast the Direct on 9/11 would only be encouraged to keep their Americentric way of thinking if they suddenly became so relevant in a worldwide context, thus they should be ignored.

I'm not trying to undermine the significance of the date, I'm just saying that it would be a bit rude to put the history of some countries over that of others. Obviously, this situation doesn't apply to the reason the Direct was delayed in the first place, since Nintendo delaying the broadcast due to a current natural disaster in its own country is completely understandable no matter how you look at it.

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
Wait...am I hearing you guys right? You wanted the rest of your day to be ruined? Here you go:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom