• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
Anyways, since we were on the topic, and the way to do this seems to change a lot throughout the games...

...what mingame or RNG-based thing do you think will be in this game as the most eifficent way of collecting trophies, if they don't reuse the Coin Launcher or RNG lottery-esque thing.
I wonder how it'd work if they made a bunch of smaller minigames involving playing as your chosen character that let you get trophies, and then (optionally?) cycled through them in a Warioware-ish manner so that you try most/all of them in a single go and it's less likely that you'll get bored of it as there'll be more variety.

Some minigame ideas:
- Trophy Rush but more condensed
- The trophy collecting minigame from Melee's Classic Mode
- Beating up Sandbag to make him drop trophies
- Trophy shooting game from Brawl, but you are playing as your character and the game provides you with an optional Ray Gun or Super Scope
- Variation of the Kirby's Dream Land 3 / Kirby 64 Goal Game, where you jump and try to land on your prize of choice
- Smaller generic Target Test stages kinda like the Smash Run ones, where some of the targets drop trophies
- Condensed version of Target Blast with a significantly smaller bomb and structure, breaking the structure lets you grab the trophies inside

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Nah, I think most voicework is done pretty early on compared to most things in development, I doubt codecs will be returning with this deconfirmation.

Plus, he could've just ignored that comment instead of giving a direct NO.
Not really. Voice work is incredibly sporadic. You may come in and do a few lines at the beginning of development and then called in again to do more towards the end. They also do voice over one actor at a time so, say, Yuri Lowenthal going in to do his, then Antony Del Rio going in to do his, then David Hayter, so on and so forth. It's pretty likely that David hasn't gotten his call yet. All of his clips so far were preexisting clips from Brawl.

He's back as Snake, and he told the team he would love to do more, but that doesn't mean he's recorded anything yet.

Cap’nKazam

Smash Apprentice
But he still doesn't do this. Roy was called Fireemblem in the file names. I'm going to go through all of them in SmashWiki. Most odd names are just corresponding to who they are. Like BOY and GIRL for the Male and Female Wireframe.
Roy was already a fully developed character in a previous game, however - he would have been unlikely to be named Marth2 or something of that vein because he was already well beyond a conceptual stage, which Toon Zelda's character was not.

That said - I do want to concede that this is an unlikely scenario, so I wouldn't represent it as a strong argument for Tetra either way. Will go back and edit my earlier post.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Exactly. I believe he'd consider Tetra regardless. I honestly think she would've gotten in due to having a model ready, but that was before I learned of the fact Sheik was remade in the TP style strictly for Smash. This means that them having a present model/being in a game may not be a necessary thing for development depending the circumstances. Being an update to OOT Sheik obviously made the fact Sheik didn't exist in TP hardly a detriment.

Same thing with Toon Sheik not existing. Though I recently read that Toon Link used some of Young Link's assets, so this could also be a small issue(though among SG, I only remember voices mentioned. So maybe not?)

A better way to put it; I believe Toon Sheik was intended via the files, with no doubt in my mind. I believe she would've been replaced with Tetra due to it being a way more popular choice instead.
Nearly every other name for a leftover character data files in brawl corresponded precisely with the names of existing characters, so it's indeed very unlikely to be a placeholder. A Toon Sheik was still likely to happen in any case. But yeah, definitely think Tetra would've been considered even if she still didn't get in over the would-be Toon Sheik.

I wish I knew just how popular she was with Smash audiences. She's not quite on the levels of someone like say, Skull Kid, but she's a very popular character from WW, and I think the exposure the "toon"-styled Zelda games have received in Smash and, later on, Hyrule Warriors, have boosted the popularity of the toon games, as well as Tetra herself. WW in particular has received much better reception as years went on. I have my hopes that this at least could mean good things for Tetra's chances. This and the likelihood that she's been on his radar a few times are what she's mostly got going for her, though. Because she just isn't on the same levels as most of Ultimate's known newcomers, as far as fan recognition and support goes. She's up there, but on a lower spot than many others are.

Last edited:

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
No Codecs? Smash is really losing its way recently I hope there's a story mode or I will not be happy at all with ultimate. May as well make it smash 4 DLC then.
Oh no! No Codec calls?!? Whatever shall we do! Oh this breaks the game completely. Ruined. How could they do this to us. Codec calls were a such staple of smash bros!

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Ok, here’s a game:

For the characters who still have JP VAs in English versions, what ENG VAs would you give them?

Ex: :ultness::ultkirby::ultlink::ultcloud::ultroy::ultfalcon: etc

Last edited:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Yeah, to be honest, I never even found the Codecs, Guidance dialogue, or the Star Fox banter without knowing them from online.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Ok, here’s a game:

For the characters who still have JP VAs in English versions, what English VAs would you give them?

I mean Roy already has an english VA in Ray Chase who will most likely voice him

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Roy was already a fully developed character in a previous game, however - he would have been unlikely to be named Marth2 or something of that vein because he was already well beyond a conceptual stage, which Toon Zelda's character was not.

That said - I do want to concede that this is an unlikely scenario, so I wouldn't represent it as a strong argument for Tetra either way. Will go back and edit my earlier post.
Roy was called Fireemblem in Melee. This was a placeholder meant for a Fire Emblem character as is. I'm not talking about Brawl's, which has his proper name as it was established during Melee's development. Not the case here.

But yeah, no issues with dropping it. I can't find a proper list of corresponding names to every file, so I can't fully prove my point either. It wouldn't be right to keep it up right now, as maybe I am wrong. But until I can find the files that exist, it's impossible to prove either side of the debate. :)

Nearly every other name for a leftover character data files in brawl corresponded precisely with the names of existing characters, so it's indeed very unlikely to be a placeholder. A Toon Sheik was still likely to happen in any case. But yeah, definitely think Tetra would've been considered even if she still didn't get in over the would-be Toon Sheik.

I wish I knew just how popular she was with Smash audiences. She's not quite on the levels of someone like say, Skull Kid, but she's a very popular character from WW, and I think the exposure the "toon"-styled Zelda games have received in Smash and, later on, Hyrule Warriors, have boosted the popularity of the toon games, as well as Tetra herself. WW in particular has received much better reception as years went on. I have my hopes that this at least could mean good things for Tetra's chances. This and the likelihood that she's been on his radar a few times are what she's mostly got going for her, though. Because she just isn't on the same levels as most of Ultimate's known newcomers, as far as fan recognition and support goes. She's up there, but on a lower spot than many others are.
Seeing as how she did well on the Brawl polls mentioned? I'd say very popular. She's a pretty major character from WW and honestly a very interesting one too. Though it didn't help that once she was turned into Toon Zelda, she was nothing more than "must save princess" again. It was remotely rectified by the fact she helped out in the final battle. Tetra became another object to save in PH, literally this time, which is what hurts her character a bit. Then came along ST, which fixed this by making Zelda an active part of your party. Just you had to save the object that is her, but still kept her in the overall fight. I liked that, though I dislike the DS Controls, heh.

Not really. Voice work is incredibly sporadic. You may come in and do a few lines at the beginning of development and then called in again to do more towards the end. They also do voice over one actor at a time so, say, Yuri Lowenthal going in to do his, then Antony Del Rio going in to do his, then David Hayter, so on and so forth. It's pretty likely that David hasn't gotten his call yet. All of his clips so far were preexisting clips from Brawl.

He's back as Snake, and he told the team he would love to do more, but that doesn't mean he's recorded anything yet.
Maybe they'll wait until all the base game characters are revealed so they don't need to sign any NDA with Hayter. Just maybe.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Zelda is a confusing case.

Fans and the story kinda hypes her up, but she's almost always a pushover and is quite literally backhanded by the villains with little effort.

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407

Fans and the story kinda hypes her up, but she's almost always a pushover and is quite literally backhanded by the villains with little effort.
It gets even weirder the deeper you go into the rabbit hole.
In Zelda II link has to save Zelda from a coma, but it's a Zelda from hundreds of years in the past while the current Zelda is still alive and breathing. Samurai Jack kinda shenanigans going on here.

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305

Yeah, if you played Smash only, you'd think she would be a sorcerer supreme, but her power amounts to light triangle or light arrows.

It's why I like her incarnation in WW, as a pirate captain or ST as an Alphonse Elric style ghost possessing armor, and especially in HW where she uses the power of light combined with a rapier to lead her troops.

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Hold on a damn second. Samus's green light accents on her power suit changes to blue when she fires a super missile in this game. I'm not sure about regular missiles though. Am I stupid or is that a brand new touch? I think it's a reference to when she changed colors in the original Metroid when you switched to missiles.

Edit:
8:28. The only instance I could find of it.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Just saying, y'all. You've heard of the Break the Targets theme in Melee, right? Well, I happen to find out a song that came out not too long ago kinda sounds like it. Have a listen! we out here

Last edited by a moderator:

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Yeah, to be honest, I never even found the Codecs, Guidance dialogue, or the Star Fox banter without knowing them from online.
I found out about them by pure accident while spamming taunts on a Star Fox stage in training just for the heck of it.

I found out about codecs later but I can't for the life of me remember how. It wasn't from any online source, I didn't really spend much time on the Internet back then.

Seeing as how she did well on the Brawl polls mentioned? I'd say very popular. She's a pretty major character from WW and honestly a very interesting one too. Though it didn't help that once she was turned into Toon Zelda, she was nothing more than "must save princess" again. It was remotely rectified by the fact she helped out in the final battle. Tetra became another object to save in PH, literally this time, which is what hurts her character a bit. Then came along ST, which fixed this by making Zelda an active part of your party. Just you had to save the object that is her, but still kept her in the overall fight. I liked that, though I dislike the DS Controls, heh.
As a big fan of the character I'd be happy to hear that. I don't think she did quite as well on the Smash 4 ballot, but I'm uncertain, there.

I do think that her role in the final battle helped her case out quite a fair bit, as did her character development. PH was an odd case since she had largely moved on from her time as a princess, yet wound up as a damsel in distress anyway. It felt like they were trying to move her character forward one area, but in another area, they just took her some steps backward. Spirit Tracks explored her legacy very nicely though, and I agree, it rectified Toon Zelda's role as well. Tetra's had some odd moments but I've seen plenty of fans of her. As far as WW's audience goes, at least, Tetra is definitely a fan favorite. That I've never doubted.

Oh, and might as well mention, Phantom Zelda's controls were fine in my opinion. ..........It's the freaking flute mechanics that always annoyed me. :p

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Hold on a damn second. Samus's green light accents on her power suit changes to blue when she fires a super missile in this game. I'm not sure about regular missiles though. Am I stupid or is that a brand new touch? I think it's a reference to when she changed colors in the original Metroid when you switched to missiles.
This is something new to Ultimate indeed, it wasn't in Smash 4 or the previous game. It's also indeed a reference to the first Metroid.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Just saying, y'all. You've heard of the Break the Targets theme in Melee, right? Well, I happen to find out a song that came out not too long ago kinda sounds like it. Have a listen! we out here

I may not necessarily like Xenoblade Chronicles 2...

But I'd be damned if I didn't say it has some straight up ****ing bangers. I hope we get this in Smash Bros. in some way, shape, or form.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
In regards to the Toon Zelda/Toon Sheik thing, keep in mind that most of the characters from the missing Brawl files where most likely intended to be included as low priority semi clones.

It could been that have had his mind set on solely including Toon Zelda, and only had a Toon Sheik just to keep her in line with the other Zelda/Sheik more than anything. (Plus, Spirit Tracks wasn't a thing yet at the time, so she didn't have the Phantom Slash yet as an option) Nowadays though with Zelda and Sheik being separated, he can hypothetically reinclude Toon Zelda on her own now if he wanted to without worrying about a Toon Sheik counterpart.

As for Tetra, Its hard to say what Sakurai's thought of her was as he never commented on her as far as I'm aware, but as a low priority addittion, I don't think she was a real option for that as Sheik's ninja styled moveset wouldn't have suited a pirate character like Tetra.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
OOT Zelda was pretty cool as Sheik, but it's kinda lame that she became helpless the moment after she revealed her identity.

WW's Tetra is easily my favorite Zelda, and the ones Zeldas from ST and SS are my next favorite incarnations of her thus far. The latter doesn't exactly partake in fights, I just like that version of her character and all the ship tease with Link she gets a lot. I like TP Zelda's character a lot as well, helps that she, to an extent, also helped out in a phase of the battle against Ganondorf. Gonna have to play through BotW some more to form an opinion on that game's version of Zelda.

I digress, though. I want to see Tetra in Smash. I'd accept Toon Zelda as well, but Tetra's the one I seriously want and care about now.

Bestmand902

Smash Lord
Ok, here’s a game:

For the characters who still have JP VAs in English versions, what ENG VAs would you give them?

Captain Falcon- Travis Willingham: Mostly for the sheer glory of hearing Travis Willingham go full-on ham and cheese, which he always does magnificently.

Roy- Ray Chase; Pretty much his official english voice as far as Heroes goes.

Ness- Candi Milo: I don't know why, but for some reason I can just hear Candi Milo's voice as Snap from Chalk Zone really fitting Ness.

Cloud- I don't really have a good idea except for bringing Steve Burton back.

Kirby- Honestly I think he sounds perfectly fine with his current VA, though I did used to entertain the idea of Tara Strong voice him in English if he were ever to say anything that wasn't "Poyo" or "Hiiii"

Link: for some reason I wanna say Troy Baker or Nolan North

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
As a big fan of the character I'd be happy to hear that. I don't think she did quite as well on the Smash 4 ballot, but I'm uncertain, there.

I do think that her role in the final battle helped her case out quite a fair bit, as did her character development. PH was an odd case since she had largely moved on from her time as a princess, yet wound up as a damsel in distress anyway. It felt like they were trying to move her character forward one area, but in another area, they just took her some steps backward. Spirit Tracks explored her legacy very nicely though, and I agree, it rectified Toon Zelda's role as well. Tetra's had some odd moments but I've seen plenty of fans of her. As far as WW's audience goes, at least, Tetra is definitely a fan favorite. That I've never doubted.

Oh, and might as well mention, Phantom Zelda's controls were fine in my opinion. ..........It's the freaking flute mechanics that always annoyed me. :p
I mean doing things like general walking around and slashing in PH. It honestly was very difficult for me to work with. Jolene I still can't beat at all.

I haven't played ST yet, so I can't comment on it entirely. But I feel these kind of control schemes aren't all that good in practice. It felt very forced outside of the items. Though maybe doing the rolling around from WW was harder to translate to tradition controls compared to the touch screen? I already knew of the flute. Even though the other controls were improved to some degree(I can't say how much, I just know they were tightened), the flute... oy.

Though my real complaint besides controls that don't interest me anyway(let's be honest, if you couldn't remotely work with the PH controls, the ST controls are just not going to be better. It's the same control scheme with updates) is the fact there isn't a proper overworld at all. I was surprised too, but the Spirit Track goes on tracks, which is nothing more than pure hallways. If you go outside of the Train itself, you'll fall into a abyss, as they're nothing but images to make it look like a large overworld. Being the biggest draw to the Zelda series is a huge explorable overworld(not to say being linear or non-linear is clearly the best way to to do it. I loved both designs, as much as I like non-linear Zelda gameplay). This is the first game to 100% remove it in every way. PH wasn't great about it, due to linearity, but you still are going to another island. It can be argued it doesn't have a good overworld too, but I feel it's still presented better than ST's painted-on walls.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
I mean doing things like general walking around and slashing in PH. It honestly was very difficult for me to work with. Jolene I still can't beat at all.

I haven't played ST yet, so I can't comment on it entirely. But I feel these kind of control schemes aren't all that good in practice. It felt very forced outside of the items. Though maybe doing the rolling around from WW was harder to translate to tradition controls compared to the touch screen? I already knew of the flute. Even though the other controls were improved to some degree(I can't say how much, I just know they were tightened), the flute... oy.

Though my real complaint besides controls that don't interest me anyway(let's be honest, if you couldn't remotely work with the PH controls, the ST controls are just not going to be better. It's the same control scheme with updates) is the fact there isn't a proper overworld at all. I was surprised too, but the Spirit Track goes on tracks, which is nothing more than pure hallways. If you go outside of the Train itself, you'll fall into a abyss, as they're nothing but images to make it look like a large overworld. Being the biggest draw to the Zelda series is a huge explorable overworld(not to say being linear or non-linear is clearly the best way to to do it. I loved both designs, as much as I like non-linear Zelda gameplay). This is the first game to 100% remove it in every way. PH wasn't great about it, due to linearity, but you still are going to another island. It can be argued it doesn't have a good overworld too, but I feel it's still presented better than ST's painted-on walls.
The DS controls are a bit awkward I'll admit, but of the DS Zeldas, it just never personally bothered me much. I get where you're coming from regardless.

Spirit Tracks had a neat idea with the train, but yeah, the lack of more of an overworld is disappointing. Wind Waker always felt like the most open-world Zelda to me prior to Breath of the Wild, as you had plenty of places to go throughout the great sea, and weren't stuck traveling on straight paths on hallways in ST like you mentioned. Phantom Hourglass didn't capture it quite as well as Wind Waker did, but I do think the (usually) larger islands helped make up for it.

It's true that linearity isn't necessarily a bad thing in Zelda games. Never felt like Ocarina or Twilight Princess being rather linear hurt the games too much, if at all, but it's one of my few, and also biggest gripes with Skyward Sword. A lot of potential was lost on the loftwing flight mechanics and the Sky's rather unimpressive overworld, and the surface overworlds have so little to explore besides finding Goddess Cubes that it's not even funny. Being unable to visit them at night is just rubbing salt in the wound. SS did a lot of things right in my opinion, but it's overworld wasn't one of them. Quite the contrary.

Mamp

Smash Apprentice
regarding voice actors, the one thing i want is for olimar to get his canon baritone voice. here's a video:

it bothers me that he's so silent in smash when he's actually quite talkative in the pikmin games

Cap’nKazam

Smash Apprentice
Roy was called Fireemblem in Melee. This was a placeholder meant for a Fire Emblem character as is. I'm not talking about Brawl's, which has his proper name as it was established during Melee's development. Not the case here.

But yeah, no issues with dropping it. I can't find a proper list of corresponding names to every file, so I can't fully prove my point either. It wouldn't be right to keep it up right now, as maybe I am wrong. But until I can find the files that exist, it's impossible to prove either side of the debate. :)

Aye, thanks again.

I guess this is why I think Tetra deserves an exception to the fan-desired trend of not wanting repeats (which is something I sympathize with). Tetra was the first Zelda to forge her own destiny, and is probably the only princess to outshadow her generation's own Link. When Link began his adventure, Tetra forced him to up his game - it wasn't something that just came naturally to Link. Tetra and her pirate crew mentored him and taught him how to be a hero. "Wow, that's a decrepit old shield... Are you sure you can still use that thing? Are you going to get splinters and cry?" She played an active role in combating Ganon's influence long before Link came onto the scene, and she combated him as a leader, and a warrior - not someone in need of protection. While it's true she did adopt the role of princess when her duty was revealed to her, and fell to the old trap of damsel in distress - when the time came, she was the first Zelda that didn’t just step off safely to the sidelines and just watch Link fight the big bad (like OoT Zelda), but actually took an active part in fighting Ganondorf - throwing herself in harm's way and even taking a beating from the Dark Lord himself in the process. When her role was finished, and Hyrule was finished, she cast away the life forced upon her as princess, which she never wanted, and seized control of her own destiny as a legendary pirate. "I told you not to call me Zelda! Tetra worked just fine before, you know." In Spirit Tracks, she is commemorated in her portrait not in royal drapes, but in the rags and garments of a proud sea lord, whose legacy is even more profound than her era's Link, as the founder of New Hyrule. This legacy would not be short-lived, for not long after, it was her own descendant that was the very first Zelda to join Link for the entirety of his own adventure.

Honestly, despite the occasional hiccup, Tetra's as much an anti-Zelda as there can be - the first Zelda that made me really care about Zelda. She’s a fighter in her blood. And that's why she's special to me. And why I want to see her legacy live on, and be remembered.

AND WHY I WANNA KICK G-DORF'S BUTT WITH HER IN ULTIMATE! :D

Last edited:

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
regarding voice actors, the one thing i want is for olimar to get his canon baritone voice. here's a video:

it bothers me that he's so silent in smash when he's actually quite talkative in the pikmin games
I heard a Tastu-Tatsu in there.

E.Gadd confirmed?

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Aye, thanks again.

I guess this is why I think Tetra deserves an exception to the fan-desired trend of not wanting repeats (which is something I sympathize with). Tetra was the first Zelda to forge her own destiny, and is probably the only princess to outshadow her generation's own Link. When Link began his adventure, Tetra forced him to up his game - it wasn't something that came naturally to Link. Tetra and her pirate crew mentored him and taught him how to be a hero. "Wow, that's a decrepit old shield... Are you sure you can still use that thing? Are you going to get splinters and cry?" She played an active role in combating Ganon's influence long before Link came onto the scene, and she combated him as a leader, and a warrior - not someone in need of protection. While it's true she did adopt the role of princess when her duty was revealed to her, and fell to the old trappings of damsel in distress - when the time came, she was the first Zelda to not step off to the sidelines and just watch the fight (like OoT Zelda), and actually took an active part in fighting Ganondorf - throwing herself in harm's way and even taking a beating from the Dark Lord himself in the process. When her role was finished, and Hyrule was finished, she cast away the life forced upon her as princess, which she never wanted, and seized control of her own destiny as a legendary pirate. "I told you not to call me Zelda! Tetra worked just fine before, you know." In Spirit Tracks, she is commemorated in her portrait not in royal drapes, but in the rags and garments of a proud sea lord, who's legacy is even more profound than her era's Link, as the founder of New Hyrule. This legacy would not be short-lived, for not long after, it was her own descendant that was the very first Zelda to join Link for the entirety of his own adventure.

Honestly, despite the occasional hiccup, Tetra's as much an anti-Zelda as there can be, and that's why she's special to me. And why I want to see her legacy live on, and be remembered.
Oh, I think she absolutely has earned the spot. I just don't believe she was intended in Brawl. I actually prefer her over Toon Sheik myself as an idea. I however don't believe they were every one and the same character, but that's due to evidence showing why it was pretty clearly Toon Sheik. I was petty enough myself at some point to make a Toon Sheik avatar, via the Scribblenauts artwork, who has every Zelda character in the Toon style. So it's fairly accurate to the point.

She'd be great. I'm not too up for Toon Zelda, though. I feel like while the Phantom is a neat idea, I think she needs more. The biggest thing about the Phantom is pretty much thrown onto Zelda, who was already intended, like Link, to be a mishmash of various versions as is. Though Ultimate somewhat changes it as BOTW Link is the first time where he isn't truly a combination of characters. Her only other ability is the Light Force, which is undefined. This is why I really can't view her as having good chances at all. Making her feel like it's something "only she can do" is a pretty big thing. If she's a clone of Zelda ala Toon Link, well, yeah, then I could see her. But as unique, she doesn't have anything to add at this time. Yes, she can definitely make the Phantom more interesting, but the Phantom is part of Zelda's moveset to intentionally represent the point of it, which is how it's used in ST anyway, to be an armor you can quickly command to help out. This is a proper representation of it and while small, does the job right. If we get a good idea of how the Light Force works, I think she has a real chance to get in as unique, but till then, I'd say Zelda conveys the point properly right now.

KMDP

Smash Legend

Well, this was a weird thing to wake up from a nap to. :laugh:

I wasn't expecting Olimar to have such a deep voice.
Aye, thanks again.

I guess this is why I think Tetra deserves an exception to the fan-desired trend of not wanting repeats (which is something I sympathize with). Tetra was the first Zelda to forge her own destiny, and is probably the only princess to outshadow her generation's own Link. When Link began his adventure, Tetra forced him to up his game - it wasn't something that just came naturally to Link. Tetra and her pirate crew mentored him and taught him how to be a hero. "Wow, that's a decrepit old shield... Are you sure you can still use that thing? Are you going to get splinters and cry?" She played an active role in combating Ganon's influence long before Link came onto the scene, and she combated him as a leader, and a warrior - not someone in need of protection. While it's true she did adopt the role of princess when her duty was revealed to her, and fell to the old trap of damsel in distress - when the time came, she was the first Zelda to not step off to the sidelines and just watch Link fight the big bad (like OoT Zelda), and actually took an active part in fighting Ganondorf - throwing herself in harm's way and even taking a beating from the Dark Lord himself in the process. When her role was finished, and Hyrule was finished, she cast away the life forced upon her as princess, which she never wanted, and seized control of her own destiny as a legendary pirate. "I told you not to call me Zelda! Tetra worked just fine before, you know." In Spirit Tracks, she is commemorated in her portrait not in royal drapes, but in the rags and garments of a proud sea lord, who's legacy is even more profound than her era's Link, as the founder of New Hyrule. This legacy would not be short-lived, for not long after, it was her own descendant that was the very first Zelda to join Link for the entirety of his own adventure.

Honestly, despite the occasional hiccup, Tetra's as much an anti-Zelda as there can be. She’s a fighter in her blood. And that's why she's special to me. And why I want to see her legacy live on, and be remembered.

This is a very interesting point of view regarding Tetra. :grin:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think Toon Zelda would probably rely more on magic attacks than Zelda due to her shorter legs making her unable to perform any kick based moves. Another fun little idea thrown around is to have her temporarily get into the Phantom to perform her Phantom Slash rather than just summoning it like Zelda does, which would be a neat little recovery option. Though I think the full extend of the Phantom would probably be used for her Final Smash instead. (Either that, or she gets the Light Arrow move that Zelda lost, she used it first after all)

Last edited:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

Always found this aspect of Olimar amusing - but now watching this footage again gives me insane E.Gadd-vibes, especially with that Banjo-talk having slight Japanese feel to it.

I'm almost starting to think he's a Hocotatian that somehow landed on Mushroom Kingdom and decided to live there. Look at that head-to-body design.

Last edited:

Pakky

Smash Hero
Sometimes I wonder about Chun-Li and Tifa and then I remember my dreams are silly.

Shyy_Guy595

Smash Champion
Always found this aspect of Olimar amusing - but now watching this footage again gives me insane E.Gadd-vibes, especially with that Banjo-talk having slight Japanese feel to it.

I'm almost starting to think he's a Hocotatian that somehow landed on Mushroom Kingdom and decided to live there. Look at that head-to-body design.

I literally mentioned this earlier because of the "Tatsu-Tatsu" voiceline I heard.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I literally mentioned this earlier because of the "Tatsu-Tatsu" voiceline I heard.
That sounds like it could be part Hocotatian language... neat.

I guess this is why I think Tetra deserves an exception to the fan-desired trend of not wanting repeats (which is something I sympathize with). Tetra was the first Zelda to forge her own destiny, and is probably the only princess to outshadow her generation's own Link. When Link began his adventure, Tetra forced him to up his game - it wasn't something that just came naturally to Link. Tetra and her pirate crew mentored him and taught him how to be a hero. "Wow, that's a decrepit old shield... Are you sure you can still use that thing? Are you going to get splinters and cry?" She played an active role in combating Ganon's influence long before Link came onto the scene, and she combated him as a leader, and a warrior - not someone in need of protection. While it's true she did adopt the role of princess when her duty was revealed to her, and fell to the old trap of damsel in distress - when the time came, she was the first Zelda to not step off to the sidelines and just watch Link fight the big bad (like OoT Zelda), and actually took an active part in fighting Ganondorf - throwing herself in harm's way and even taking a beating from the Dark Lord himself in the process. When her role was finished, and Hyrule was finished, she cast away the life forced upon her as princess, which she never wanted, and seized control of her own destiny as a legendary pirate. "I told you not to call me Zelda! Tetra worked just fine before, you know." In Spirit Tracks, she is commemorated in her portrait not in royal drapes, but in the rags and garments of a proud sea lord, who's legacy is even more profound than her era's Link, as the founder of New Hyrule. This legacy would not be short-lived, for not long after, it was her own descendant that was the very first Zelda to join Link for the entirety of his own adventure.

Honestly, despite the occasional hiccup, Tetra's as much an anti-Zelda as there can be. She’s a fighter in her blood. And that's why she's special to me. And why I want to see her legacy live on, and be remembered.

Someone truly nailing why I like Wind Waker and it's take on the lineage of Golden Ones so well. Tetra's still flipping amazing.

I even feel that Link in that game (who I sort of HC as not even having the same name as other Links) also forged his own voluntary destiny to become part of the lineage of previous Links.

Makes thus more upset he's still having Young Link's moveset for some reason in Ultimate still, and doesn't use anything of his own items across Wind Waker, Phantom Hourglass or Spirit Tracks. He feels boringly interchangeable with all the other Toon-style Links due this. :025:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom