• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311

Zathura

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyZygarde
3DS FC
0404-6234-5785
Switch FC
SW-0485-3368-5894
I am 100% sure that the character revealed in the direct will be one these five: geno, bandana dee, Isaac, skull kid, incneroar. I just can’t wait to see which one it is

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
What makes you so confident about Balloon Fighter? It seems like such a strange one to stick to your guns on.
Iwata's death in the context of the respect Sakurai shows his mentors, the series being very well known and used in NES online, the ease of implementing used assets while still making a fully unique character, and uh... lets say general thoughts.

Last edited:

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I am 100% sure that the character revealed in the direct will be one these five: geno, bandana dee, Isaac, skull kid, incneroar. I just can’t wait to see which one it is
I'm predicting either Bandana Dee, Incineroar, or Elma.

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
Who are the fab 5?
1. Skull Kid
2. Isaac
3. Incineroar
4. Geno
5. Banjo Kazooie
Crazy how a bunch of leakers got Incineroar and Skull Kid into that list. The other 3 probably would have been there anyway.

Can't forget BWD, Elma, Paper Mario, and Gardevoir as the likely picks outside of those five.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Everytime someone mentions characters getting in based on popular vote.

I always think of how Snake never would've gotten the amount of votes he got if he wasn't a veteran.
You could say that about literally any veteran though.

As 3P characters go, Snake is popular, has a long history on Nintendo. And doesn't really do anything worse than Bayonetta in terms of mature actions.

MainJPW

M.T.A
Still, I’m pretty sure that of the main four Sonic and friends, he’s the least popular.
Are you counting Shadow as apart of the main 4? That’s more Amy’s spot as far as SEGA is concerned.

She’s had a more constant presence in the games (pretty much is the 4th playable character in games like Shuffle, the Advance games, one of the first 4 unlocked in Secret Rings, already unlocked in the Riders games and part the story mode of first two instead of Shadow ) and non-Sonic media ( has a statue in PSO and PSU with Sonic and Tails, added to Puyo Puyo Quest with Sonic, Tails and Knuckles in the first event, appears in Dragon Coins with Sonic, Tails and Knuckles, playable in Virtua Striker with S, T, K and Eggy ) and has also made more consistent appearances since Unleashed than Shadow has. Lost World straight up just has Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy in it.

And I’m only bringing this up because among the “main 4” Tails is more popular than Amy.

It’s more like a main 6. Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Eggman, Shadow.

I just would love to see Tails join his BFF in Smash. I don’t really care is Shadow’s in or not - the edgehog does nothing for me - but to promote Shadow to playable, Knux to assist, but leave Sonic’s #2 stuck in the loop just because he’s not super popular is not cool. It’s not like Tails is unpopular, and he’s definitely iconic enough for Smash.
Sonic and Tails are one of the most iconic duos in gaming. Tails is iconic, I think he deserves more than just a background element. He also has that cameo in Wreck-It Ralph.

I’m also biased. Grew up on the classic games as a little kid. Sonic 3 and 2 were the first Sonic games I played and years later played the crap out of Mega Collection when that came out. In 2005 got Gems Collection and both of Tails’ solo games are there.

He’s just such a constant presence in the series as that number 2 character in the majority of the games that it just feels wrong not to upgrade him too.

I’d actually be fine with Tails as an echo. Give him Peach’s float and he’s good. Sonic’s current moveset does fit with the older Sonic games, and Tails was always set to do the same things with different animations.
And again since Sonic’s moveset is lifted from Fighters Tails being a clone ain’t bad. Sonic and Tails both shared Spin Attack, Spin Dive, Air Spin, Windup Punch, Horse Kick and Scissor Punch. They share the most attacks out of every character in the game.

****in’ hate typos.

Last edited:

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
My favorite are the messages that try to emphasize how long it has been.
As if one month ago we did not get five new characters revealed alongside dozens of mechanical differences.

Maybe I'm just a grandpa at 28, but a month after all of that is nothing.

All great choices. And still I find it ridiculous.
Isabelle, Dixie, Balloon Fighter. I'd put my money on them.
Isabelle and Dixie would be just so they aren't on the big 5. I never have understood why people ask for Balloon Fighter. Villager's up special takes the only thing they can actually do.

Turnips and Daisies.

Banned via Warnings
Does anyone find it highly suspicious that we haven’t seen Peach’s Final Smash yet, and Daisy is the only new character to have a hidden Final Smash?

Don’t know if this means that Peach is getting a new Final Smash and Daisy is getting a variant. Or they have seperate ones, but I doubt it because they said Daisy’s moveset (body technique) is the same as Peach’s.

If they are sharing a Final Smash then I think it can’t really harken to stuff like Super Princess Peach, because Daisy has never been in that game. Although Daisy does use a ton of stuff that she has never used before anyways...

Last edited:

Radical Bones

Soul King
Switch FC
SW-3027-1027-5433
FYI it's 10:25 pm in Japan now on a Saturday night. I don't think they'll be tweeting out a rescheduled time until Monday which is Sunday for the Americans here.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
It doesn't help knowing that a lot of Nintendo's new retail titles tend to get released on Fridays. But the company sure was being inconsiderate for releasing games on a day that's very sensitive to the United States.
Well considering its been 17 years, I'm pretty sure we can get over the damn date by now. A tragedy or disaster has happened on every calendar day in existence, so by this reasoning, we should just never release anything ever out of respect. Nintendo delayed Advance Wars out of respect already, so they've paid their dues to 9/11, and I'm pretty sure people who are "offended" by a Mario game releasing on 9/11 should probably get the **** over it.

I mean I know people with birthdays on 9/11, are they not allowed to celebrate them anymore?

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Does anyone find it highly suspicious that we haven’t seen Peach’s Final Smash yet, and Daisy is the only new character to have a hidden Final Smash?

Don’t know if this means that Peach is getting a new Final Smash and Daisy is getting a variant. Or they have seperate ones, but I doubt it because they said Daisy’s moveset (body technique) is the same as Peach’s.
I expect Peach to have one based on Super Princess Peach
As for Daisy, I don't know...

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468

Peach's new final smash will be to summon Captain Toad to pick axe the opponents. They are hiding it because Alfonzo takes Captain Toad's place as the FS if you are on New Donk City.

Turnips and Daisies.

Banned via Warnings
As for Daisy, I don't know...
I have a niggling feeling that they hid Daisy’s Final Smash because she’s sharing one with Peach, and Peach got an SPP Final Smash.

Which would be, a bit odd for Daisy, but I’m glad she’s in anyways!

Maybe it is Toad Brigade? Peach could have an army of Red Toads and Daisy an army of Blue Toads.

Last edited:

NonSpecificGuy

V Has Come To
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584

Not really suspicious. We haven't seen Robin's or Young Link's either. There's probably a few more I'm not thinking of. And Sheik was only found through the Demo otherwise we wouldn't know about hers either.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
There was one kill move in Bayo 1 that actually grossed me out. I think it's the well known of her finishing blow ones, but I don't remember the monster or the name of those finishing moves.

But yeah, we have Bayo. I don't think it's possible to be too violent for Smash anymore.
Indeed. The one elephant in the room that hasn't been considered for Smash yet (besides shooter properties like Doom and Duke Nukem), is Mortal Kombat. That series regularly is Hokuto no Ken levels of violent.

It's a shame that Japan doesn't care about it at all, since it was a pretty big deal back in the day of the Sega and Nintendo feud:
http://www.nintendolife.com/news/20...ned_the_console_war_between_sega_and_nintendo

Yes, it's strange how nothing has been shown for them at all. I wonder if it has anything to do with SPP being in Peach's memories entry.

Hankstorm

Smash Rookie

Have we seen Richter's final smash yet? Or are we just assuming that he shares his with Simon (Grand Cross)

Also, with the way Final Smashes are becoming more flashy in Ultimate, I wouldn't be surprised if Peach has a new final smash. Plus, Dark Pit has a different final smash from Pit, so it's possible for echoes to have different final smashes. Daisy could have something unique of Peach, maybe something from the sports spinoffs

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
The agony of waiting for Nintendo to announce the new date is exactly that: agonizing. They can literally tweet it whenever they want and because of that every minute feels like an eternity.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
We still are missing a few character's final smashes like Yoshi and Diddy Kong. Maybe Peach's new final smash will be the Psych Bomb from Mario RPG.

Turnips and Daisies.

Banned via Warnings
Not really suspicious. We haven't seen Robin's or Young Link's either. There's probably a few more I'm not thinking of. And Sheik was only found through the Demo otherwise we wouldn't know about hers either.
It’s suspicious because they had all the newcomer Final Smashes ready except Daisy’s. Richter is almost certainly getting Grand Cross.

If Daisy and Peach are sharing a Final Smash, then that would mean that it would have to be changed to accomodate both characters, and a SPP based Final Smash is too much like Peach.

Maybe I’m worrying too much...

Last edited:

Gothitelle

Smash Journeyman
I'd love something along the lines of her activating her rage mode (which could arguably even fit Daisy's description as a tomboy), but I can't say I'm holding my breath. Super Princess Peach, as far as I can tell, is a game Nintendo isn't big on calling back to.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Have we seen Richter's final smash yet? Or are we just assuming that he shares his with Simon (Grand Cross)
It's one of Simon's moves that originates from Rondo of Blood rather than a Castlevania where you play as Simon.

Iridium

Smash Hero
Just got back here a while ago. I heard about the livestream, although it may mean nothing just for now, but that's about it. Anything else happen?

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
I think when most people talk about wanting surprise characters, they tend to refer more towards characters like Rosalina, Pokemon Trainer, Cloud etc. Popular and beloved characters in their own right and may have decent support and a fanbase of their own, but usually aren't taken as seriously within the Smash Bros community. I guess the better name for them would probably be dark horse characters, in which case yeah, I'd like to see at least one or two of those making it in, if not in the base roster, then at least for DLC.

Like simon and Richter Belmont? :3 While i would be happy with Isaac or Skull Kid (and would be happy for geno supporters if he made in) i think that another super popular character and one dark horse character more strikes a good balance.

But there is the issue as to where is the darkhorse line?

So far we have this popularity ladder:
-Popular enough to be its very own unique character
-Not Popular enough to be an unique character, but popular enough to be considered an echo if posible.
-Not popular enough to be its own character and wouldn't work as an echo (Assist Trophy)
-Not Popular enough to be an echo even if it can work as one.

where would dark horse characters be? does it mens that it have to be less popular than say... dark samus? or dark samus ammountof popularityis ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom