• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
9/11 is very unlikely. There was that event in that date, so Nintendo wouldn't put the Direct on that date to reference that event of 17 years ago.

I sincerely hope you're just joking.
To piggy back on this, it is quite America-centric to think this is the only date associated with tragedy.
That has been my point with this thread of talk related to what is happening in Japan. It is terrrible. But do you even know what terrible thing just happened across the sea?
It's important to stay global. And realize how much horrible loss is happening constantly.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
So I had a dream that the Direct was last night, and they revealed a whole lot of characters. I can't remember them all, but the list contains
  • Gengar
  • Pidgeot
  • Chatot
  • Waluigi, who was an Assist Trophy as well
I think they also revealed an amiibo of these characters and Daisy, in my dream.

And then I woke up and I was sad cause there was no Direct :(
Chatot And Pidgeot. Haha. That's funny.
(please help me.)

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I’d like to hear about the Direct soon, but that doesn’t mean I can’t be patient. I think that’s what most people are getting across. I’ve noticed things got hostile here and there the last few days.

There’s no way to go through life without being offended or offending someone else. It’s life. Not everybody comes from the same walks of life, and therefore may not look at some things the same ways. The worst thing to do when somebody says something that we may find harmful or offensive is to shout them down and call them names. If they firmly believe that, which could be because of their personal lives, you now are attacking them personally.

Imagine being berated for being you. Of course you won’t take it well. There are better ways, like suggesting the “why” in terms of something being bad. Just saying someone is a bad person isn’t good enough.

Also, having a racial slur in your username or making a racist joke means the person may have poor taste. It doesn’t mean they’re a nazi or something.
—-
Anyway, if Nintendo is releasing more information about their games without the Direct (which is what it seems like) I wouldn’t be surprised if they released something for Smash in a more specific way. I don’t know what that would look like (maybe like the Robin reveal), but I can see it happening.

Zippo

Smash Journeyman
Going to go 50/50 that we hear the date today.

99% by tomorrow evening.

This is absolutely unprecedented for Nintendo. Like, wow. Over 50 hours of waiting and still no sign of news in sight. All of their social media channels are getting hounded right now.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Out of ones that aren't involved with the roster? Sin and Punishment might be one of the franchises, since Saki was an assist trophy in Brawl. But I don't know if that franchise is considered "memorable" and we're talking about first parties.

I'm starting to think that maybe we have to go more third-party territory at this point, but mainly if they had Nintendo presence first. Because what other first party Nintendo franchise is there to go off of? Not to mention the already existing ones in the roster that we can pull characters from.

I'd say Phoenix Wright, if anything, deserves a spot, in my honest opinion. The GBA, DS and Virtual Console days are good enough to fit the criteria for "realizable" and "legacy" characters.
Other than Inklings, I can't say any character (including my own) deserves a spot. That being said, DLC going into third party territory would be great, and with veterans out of the way who knows what we could get. I can definitely see Phoenix Wright having a good shot of making it in, cause of his handheld games, and as a good representation of the Visual Novel genre, we don't have a character from that genre yet (at least not until Saber from the Fates series get in), that and I think the Tokyo game show well be showing off something related to him and his game, I think. So that ups his chances

I would like Amaterasu to have a spot on the roster too, since Okami is basically a consistent part of gaming history since it's release, not a highly significant part of history mind you, but consistent enough to warrant some consideration, since it has shown up on the Gamecube (I think?), Wii, DS, and now the Switch, and that's not including the other platforms as well. I just feel like with it's unique art style, and the fact it pops up in nearly EVERY gaming generation since release(seriously it's like it just doesn't die), It'd be nice for Ammy and it's content to be included into Smash.
I mean, and I say this with earnestly, if your most wanted aren't part of the expected 5, then by definition, your characters are surprises.
Yeah I guess you're right:laugh: Considering all I want from Big 5 is Isaac, well it just means Smash could have a lot of surprises for us in the future:)

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
I think Thursday 13th at the latest.
According to dataminers, the Splatoon 2 and Nintendo Switch system's updates are programmaded for the 13th (it could be a placeholders though). So, is must be between now and the 13th

Last edited:

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
This is my feeling, but Nintendo might be launching an Direct announcement in 7 minutes. I don't know for certain, though, because Nintendo has historically been inconsistent with tweets (sometimes tweeting at 21:18, for example).

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
My son loves doduo, tailow, duskull, gastly, and natu.

Birds and ghosts. Any of them appearing in smash would make mehappy.
I made a moveset for Pidgeotto a while back. I have mo real attatchment to it but the moveset jsut cam to me one night.

Attributes
Size: Short but stout
Weight: Light
Jumps: Many
Gliding (if any): Yes
Air Speed: FAST
Ground Speed: Plodding

Specials

:GCB: Gust: Fires a small wind vortex with a pulling effect. Flies at downward angle in air, hugs ground otherwise. Good for edgeguarding but low (if any) damage.

:GCB::GCR: Tailwind: Dives forward with a gust of wind behind it, strong wind box that tends to juggle opponent into it's damage boxes. Sweet spot at beginning on beak.

:GCB::GCU:- Steel Wing: Up-B that doesn't cover much distance but has super-armour

:GCB::GCD:- Roost: Recovers health but limits Pidgeotto to single jumps, health recovery stalls in mid-air.

FINAL SMASH- Birds of a Feather: The stage is swarmed with Pidgey who acts like weaker Cuccos, and is ended by a Mega Pidgeot flying in and using Hurricane.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
This is my feeling, but Nintendo might be launching an Direct announcement in 7 minutes. I don't know for certain, though, because Nintendo has historically been inconsistent with tweets (sometimes tweeting at 21:18, for example).
7 minutes?

7 minutes....

Wait! I know who is going be announced for Ultimate!

I was going to make a joke, but the image just beat me to it.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I mean, and I say this with earnestly, if your most wanted aren't part of the expected 5, then by definition, your characters are surprises.
Er... no.
Why is 5 the arbitary number as to how many characters can be expected?
A surprise is something I dont see coming. And I dont mean to toot my own horn, but I am like Garnet (Steven Universe) in the sense of how many outcomes I see as plausible.

I will say I'm surprised when I did not see it coming. You know who actually shocked me? Pokemon Trainer. It blew my mind and was the most glaring omission in Sm4sh. You know who else surprised me? Robin. We were getting so much Gematsu, I lost any joy in Speculation.
Not even WFT surprised me. By Sm4sh surprises were just about impossible for me, as I'd considered so many options and taken a lot of them as plausible. Robin was a blessing. A blessing Killed very quickly by Lucina.

D

Deleted member

Still nothing huh? Wow. Thought there'd at least be an announcement by now for a new date. Each day we get word of something else that was within the direct, and each day its not smash decreases the likelihood of an appearance. I'll float around here a little longer before spending my Saturday on Dragon Quest XI.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Trust me, they don't care. They released Super Mario Maker on 9/11.
It doesn't help knowing that a lot of Nintendo's new retail titles tend to get released on Fridays. But the company sure was being inconsiderate for releasing games on a day that's very sensitive to the United States.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700

Having the voice of D.C. Douglas in Smash would just be magnificent.
Man, Wesker would be so sick in Smash, he already have a moveset you could pull from MVC3, plus hearing D.C. Douglas is always a joy.

I take him over Leon to be honest.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Wow. That is very specific.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
Writing Team
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Unfortunately it says you posted this 9 minutes ago :(

EDIT: turns out we got a tweet, but it was nothing

I really just want to know who. This not knowing is giving me a lot of anxiety.

Last edited:

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Unfortunately it says you posted this 9 minutes ago :(

EDIT: turns out we got a tweet, but it was nothing

I really just want to know who. This not knowing is giving me a lot of anxiety.
It was nothing, sorry. Just an announcement saying My Nintendo members can get a Smash Poster, too!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica Just a Smash bestbuy...My Nintendo members apparentely can snag a Smash Ultimate poster,
I'm still waiting on my fricken Smash coin. I never forgave Best Buy for taking my preorder and my money, and not giving me that beautiful plastic-gold coin.

It was nothing, sorry. Just an announcement saying My Nintendo members can get a Smash Poster, too!
That Smash poster is epic!

Well it would be if it were the one with all the characters. Which it wont be, as many characters aren't revealed.
...****. Maybe they are planning to reveal all the characters before September?
I doubt it, but the thought has more to do with more than this poster nonsense. It has more to do with not wanting leaks, and possible keeping the other characters as free DLC for serial updates to get attachment to the Nintendo Online.

Last edited:

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Er... no.
Why is 5 the arbitary number as to how many characters can be expected?
A surprise is something I dont see coming. And I dont mean to toot my own horn, but I am like Garnet (Steven Universe) in the sense of how many outcomes I see as plausible.

I will say I'm surprised when I did not see it coming. You know who actually shocked me? Pokemon Trainer. It blew my mind and was the most glaring omission in Sm4sh. You know who else surprised me? Robin. We were getting so much Gematsu, I lost any joy in Speculation.
Not even WFT surprised me. By Sm4sh surprises were just about impossible for me, as I'd considered so many options and taken a lot of them as plausible. Robin was a blessing. A blessing Killed very quickly by Lucina.
The Trainer was the character they announced in Brawl that I didn’t know I needed in my life. As soon as they put him up though, I knew that that would be one of the coolest characters in the game. I’m happy about Ridley and K. Rool, but neither of them compare to the Trainer returning.

As you said with Robin, though (another incredible choice), we were mired deep in Gematsu at that point so speculation was hitting the same problems as we have now: if we want a character who’s not one of the golden few, we are seen as literal trash who deserve to be disappointed. I did like seeing that mindset break down when Robin got revealed even if it came at the expense of mistreating Chrom (glad he did get his chance after being **** on like that), but then people were more open to other characters.

I would like to see another one of those confirmations that we don’t know we want until we see them. Also to get us amenable to characters outside of the ‘fab five,’ or whatever they’re being called this week.

Last edited:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
I have to admit. This whole "when's the direct" business is slightly enjoyable. It really shows just how desperate people are for information and what lengths they will go to satisfy their tastes, even if its fruitless.

Heh. :skull:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I have to admit. This whole "when's the direct" business is slightly enjoyable. It really shows just how desperate people are for information and what lengths they will go to satisfy their tastes, even if its fruitless.

My favorite are the messages that try to emphasize how long it has been.
As if one month ago we did not get five new characters revealed alongside dozens of mechanical differences.

Maybe I'm just a grandpa at 28, but a month after all of that is nothing.

Who are the fab 5?
1. Skull Kid
2. Isaac
3. Incineroar
4. Geno
5. Banjo Kazooie
All great choices. And still I find it ridiculous.
Isabelle, Dixie, Balloon Fighter. I'd put my money on them.

ALSO, I think Bandana Dee is supposed to be in that lineup you mentioned.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
It doesn't help knowing that a lot of Nintendo's new retail titles tend to get released on Fridays. But the company sure was being inconsiderate for releasing games on a day that's very sensitive to the United States.
Not all Nintendo fans are Americans. Most of their fans would have no problem with a trailer coming out on September 11th. Hell, Super Mario Maker came out on September 11th and nobody cared.

D

Deleted member

The Trainer was the character they announced in Brawl that I didn’t know I needed in my life. As soon as they put him up though, I knew that that would be one of the coolest characters in the game. I’m happy about Ridley and K. Rool, but neither of them compare to the Trainer returning.

As you said with Robin, though (another incredible choice), we were mired deep in Gematsu at that point so speculation was hitting the same problems as we have now: if we want a character who’s not one of the golden few, we are seen as literal trash and deserve to be disappointed. I did like seeing that mindset break down when Robin got revealed even if it came at the expense of mistreating Chrom (glad he did get his chance after being **** on like that), but then people were more open to other characters.

I would like to see another one of those confirmations that we don’t know we want until we see them. Also to get us amenable to characters outside of the ‘fab five,’ or whatever they’re being called this week.
Robin's reveal was nice in many ways, a magic based FE character and the break of the "Gematsu 3". I would have liked Robin either way but I doubt it would have been as much had they not ressirrected speculation.

And with the current trend of the "Boring 5", I can easily see it being broken soon(though I'm really expecting Isaac to be next tbh). Watch as a completely out-of-field character gets revealed, these boards will be on fire.

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990

Nintendo gave everyone blue balls

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom