• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shroob

Sup?
All I'm saying is:

If we have playable Sonic, Shadow as an Echo, and Knuckles as an Assist, having nothing for Tails is going to be hella weird.

I've never touched a Sonic Game in my life except SA2(Thanks, I hate it), and even I know Tails is basically the P2 of the series.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Of course not, again, it was more of a comment in regards to fans specifically wanting surprise characters just because they want to be surprised. Sakurai has never included a character solely off the back of them being surprising, when you see them in action every character's concept makes a whole lot of sense, in hindsight they become obvious. If he doesn't think that there's a potentially surprising character that would be as interesting as the obvious choices, then he's not going to add them over the obvious ones, but a lot of what I've read recently (mostly on Reddit tbf) makes it seem like some people want him to force in a surprise character just for the sake of it.

Even then we would have been surprised a lot so far if not for leaks, and leaks would also ruin the surprise of any surprise characters anyways.
People sometimes write characters as mere suprises even if they are good picks (Robin, Rosalina etc.)

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Shadow is your most likely bet as an echo. I highly doubt a unique new Sonic fighter was on the table. I think we are only getting three to four more unique fighters anyway. We are winding down now.

Last edited:

Captain Shwampy

Smash Master
To be honest...I don't get why peoples want Shadow instead of Tails. I know that Shadow is more popular, but why not Tails? I think peoples are sleeping on his chances. He would make more sense as a echo of Sonic, than with Shadow.
Cause I'm tired of tails nerdy ass and knuckles dumb ass for the past decade

Give me Shadow and Doc

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Cause I'm tired of tails nerdy *** and knuckles dumb *** for the past decade

Give me Shadow and Doc
Tbh, Smash probably would make a better job at them than SEGA at this point (look: Mega Man, Cloud).

Though I'd like Shadow as well. He'd be one of my favourite echo fighters.

RawstyleEevee

Smash Ace
NNID
RawstyleEevee
Didn’t X do better in the West though? I think Sakurai takes worldwide appeal into account (which is also why he didn’t make Takamaru playable — very few people outside of Japan are familiar with him)
X did decent sales wise, considering it was released on the WiiU, but well X in general is a major basebreaker. Like people complain about XB2's character designs I guess, but X caused a major split in the overall fanbase, because of how different it was.

DarkFalcon DarkFalcon even if Rex & Pyra's concept art was finished in 2016, they can still be a Greninja situation, but they need alot of luck.

If Rex & Pyra are at base Sakurai had to be aware of the game in 2015, which is not impossible, because in 2015 it was pretty clear that Nintendo was going to shift to Switch development behind the scenes and thats why 2015 was such a drought year, plus Sakurai had to get in touch again with Monolith anyway to get the rights for Shulk (Sakurai stated in an interview, that he also needs to get licenses for all First parties) and Monolith and Sakurai are pretty close in general, because people forget that Monolith was very involved with the development for Brawl.

So yeah if Monolith did tell Sakurai they where working on a new game, that was planned to be released in the first year of the Switch and told him about the stuff like how the gameplay could work or something like that, is it really that farfetched that Sakurai liked the idea and reserved a slot for this Xenorep? However Monolith does need to show the finalized or near finalized design for Rex & Pyra somewhere in 2016 + Xenoblade 2 gameplay, because the Mewtwo DLC showed us, that it takes 6 months to create an unique character from scratch and Its safe to say that other Xenoblade 2 content will be very scarce then like no stage(The Castlevania stage took 1 year to develop for example and I feel in 2016, they rather want to start focusing on making the game presentable for E3), and perhaps a few music tracks (like Corrin in Smash 4)

Its also not the first time this happend in the franchise, because the same scenario happend in Brawl. Brawl's roster was decided in 2005, minus Sonic and Wolf(if he was considerd in 2005, he was dropped from the draft stage very early on).

In 2006 or 2007 Sonic won that poll, so Sakurai did all he could do to finish Sonic, but he had to make several sacrifices to make it happen. These sacrifices where needing to cut characters who where not finished yet (which where Jigglypuff, Toon Link, Roy & Mewtwo). This brings us to our friend Wolf. Unlike Mewtwo & Roy, Wolf lacks a scrapped unique victory theme and in the Brawl data always is the last character plus if I recall correctly his overall data also is after the slots that contained the forbidden 7 data (need clarification on that though), but yeah Wolf was created in 2006 or 2007 and is considered a unique character.

TL.DR version, Rex & Pyra can be a greninja situation, but Sakurai has to have knowledge of XB2 being developed in 2015 and Monolith had to show near finalised content of that game to Sakurai in 2016, other Xenoblade 2 content minus music tracks will not be in the game and Rex & Pyra need to be the last character finished in the overal data, to make this theory come true.

Although do note I'm more expecting no Xenoblade rep at base and Rex & Pyra as DLC.

D

Deleted member

Man, I just want Shadow so he can have Bayonetta's normal-B and Wario's side-B to fulfill the prophecy. We out here with the Dragonball Z AMVs and guns, my boy. Put a little Evanescence there too, wake ME up.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Shadow is like a 12 year old's wet dream.

The darn mammal is so edge that I consider him to be a bigger joke than Big the Cat.

Eh, I like Shadow in Sonic 06 though

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
People sometimes write characters as mere suprises even if they are good picks (Robin, Rosalina etc.)
No reason they can't be both, Rosalina and Robin were definitely surprising as Toad and Chrom were heavy favorites for their spots, but at the same time they weren't so obscure that they had no fans or had never been thought of as being in Smash (which I suppose is your point).

I think the wording on my first post in this discussion was pretty bad and didn't really convey what I actually wanted to, I never meant for surprises to come off as being a negative thing. I probably shouldn't post too much when I'm ill.

D

Deleted member

The darn mammal is so edge that I consider him to be a bigger joke than Big the Cat.

Do you mean the same 12-year olds that made videos like this?

MainJPW

M.T.A
Tbh, Smash probably would make a better job at them than SEGA at this point (look: Mega Man, Cloud).
From what I’ve seen everyone praised Mania Adventures Tails. Easily the best interpretation of Tails in recent years and he didn’t even need to say a word. IDW Tails also actually does things instead of just playing on his Leapster.

There’s just something about SEGA’s writers that completely mishandles the characters.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Everytime someone mentions characters getting in based on popular vote.

I always think of how Snake never would've gotten the amount of votes he got if he wasn't a veteran.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed

I liked both Bİg and Shadow in Sonic Adventure games.

And if 12 year olds can make Shadow in Smash? Well, more power to them.

EDIT: Though it's weird seeing "only kids would like them" in a Nintendo forum.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
In the Brawl days I remember there were a few people who supported Shadow over Sonic, although that was on Youtube, so obviously not a place brimming with common sense.

osby

Smash Obsessed
In the Brawl days I remember there were a few people who supported Shadow over Sonic, although that was on Youtube, so obviously not a place brimming with common sense.
Shadow was written better than Sonic in Sonic 2006 but I doubt this was their argument.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I think when most people talk about wanting surprise characters, they tend to refer more towards characters like Rosalina, Pokemon Trainer, Cloud etc. Popular and beloved characters in their own right and may have decent support and a fanbase of their own, but usually aren't taken as seriously within the Smash Bros community. I guess the better name for them would probably be dark horse characters, in which case yeah, I'd like to see at least one or two of those making it in, if not in the base roster, then at least for DLC.

Last edited:

Deoxys911

Laughs and Logic
NNID
Deoxys911
So yeah.

After that Splatoon2 livestream, does everyone still think the Direct will wait until the 13th?
I can't find any mention of a Splatoon 2 livestream after a quick Google for Splatoon 2 stories from the past 24 hours. What is it that you're referring to?

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces
Is it wrong I think Shadow will only get in because he's an easy echo and not due to actually being important?

Whenever I think of Sonic, the heirarchy of importance of characters, to me, has always been:

Sonic > Tails > Knuckles > Shadow.
I mean, sure, you could argue that Shadow isn’t as important a Sonic character as Tails or Knuckles, but that hardly makes him unimportant in the grand scheme of things. That’s like saying, “well, personally, I see the hierarchy of Mario character importance as something like this:

Mario > Bowser > Peach > Luigi

So therefore, Luigi isn’t an important character.”

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I think we should wait for Monday to start worrying about no direct. For now let's just have the usual conversations.

Anyone wanna scream at me how dumb I am for still thinking the Gothitelle leak has a chance?

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Played smash 4 for the first time in a while and my God is Bayonetta obnoxious. If you decide to have fun and play a heavy character once in a while it's a straight loss guaranteed.

What is fun about being comboed and not being able to do anything about it?

She has honestly ruined smash 4 and she's probably a huge problem in ultimate too.

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Meanwhile, here I am just craving a playable Phosphora or a MH hunter, though I am getting into Medusa as of late. But if we're talking Sonic characters, I did once have a guilty want of Dr. Eggman. Might as well since the surge of villains appearing, right? Then we'd have to look at Bowser Jr and his machine first... then Eggman would come in to one-up him in mech skills. Come to think of it, if he did get a trailer, I could imagine Jr and the Koopalings causing havoc on Sonic, only for Eggman to appear and take control.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
I think we should wait for Monday to start worrying about no direct. For now let's just have the usual conversations.

Anyone wanna scream at me how dumb I am for still thinking the Gothitelle leak has a chance?
I don't think it has much chance but I'd really like it to be real.

And it's yet to be disproven afaik. Schrödinger's Leak is, then.

nintenplayer

Smash Journeyman
I've given up with timezones at this point. (How do the flat earthers explain that?)
Tokyo is 16 hours faster than PT during Summertime. 17 hourse when it's not.

So, it's 4 pm in Japan when LA turns over to the next day.

I was forced to get used to it, cuz I live in the same timezone as Japan while being pretty active in American internet communities too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom