• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mega Bidoof

Smash Hero
NNID
Link46
3DS FC
1160-9840-1542
9/11 is very unlikely. There was that event in that date, so Nintendo wouldn't put the Direct on that date to reference that event of 17 years ago.

I sincerely hope you're just joking.
Tbh I'd be extremely surprised if Japan cares about 9/11.
Super Mario Maker was released on 9/11/15.

It’s not that Nintendo doesn’t care about the lives lost. It’s just that it was 17 years ago, and we can’t just all do nothing on that day forever now.

Last edited:

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Super Mario Maker was released on 9/11/15.

It’s not that Nintendo doesn’t care about the lives lost. It’s just that it was 17 years ago, and we can’t just all do nothing on that day forever now.
I think I see your point. Events happened, and there wasn't anything we could do. We couldn't avoid that event, it had to happen anyways. I do care for the lives lost, but history is also destiny itself. It just couldn't be avoided.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
I mean, sure, you could argue that Shadow isn’t as important a Sonic character as Tails or Knuckles, but that hardly makes him unimportant in the grand scheme of things. That’s like saying, “well, personally, I see the hierarchy of Mario character importance as something like this:

Mario > Bowser > Peach > Luigi

So therefore, Luigi isn’t an important character.”
...but all four of them are in Smash...

I’m a huge Tails fan. It seems like the modern Sonic series is still treatig him as the standard #2, even if they’re making his personality more annoying (also what they did to Luigi, afaik). Still, I’m pretty sure that of the main four Sonic and friends, he’s the least popular.

I just would love to see Tails join his BFF in Smash. I don’t really care is Shadow’s in or not - the edgehog does nothing for me - but to promote Shadow to playable, Knux to assist, but leave Sonic’s #2 stuck in the loop just because he’s not super popular is not cool. It’s not like Tails is unpopular, and he’s definitely iconic enough for Smash.

I’d actually be fine with Tails as an echo. Give him Peach’s float and he’s good. Sonic’s current moveset does fit with the older Sonic games, and Tails was always set to do the same things with different animations.

———

Thinking of that does make me wonder about what would you do to make an echo. So here’s a game: design an echo character who isn’t one of the most talked about ones. What are the differences between them and the parent?

From what it seems so far, echoes share the same physics stats as the parent, but may have different animations. They also can have slightly different hitboxes on attacks. You can also frankenstein one special move from another character. Also, don’t forget that the custom moves from 4 can also be used to frankenstein specials.

My choice is Midna in her Twili form as 17e.

Midna could take Zelda’s old walking animation and borrow her run from Rosalina. She’d share all of Zelda’s normal attacks, but would have darkness effects rather than fire/lightning. Her specials would be similar but use different animations:
Neutral - Twilight Field: an expu of Zelda’s custom Nayru’s Passion, but the animation just involves Midna forming a ball of energy in her hands like she did to release Wolf Link from prison, then raising her arms as the move explodes like she does in her strong attack in Hyrule Warriors.
Side - Tear of Light: Din’s fire with a light projectile. The animation involves her pushing the light along like her end credits scene, and then snapping to explode it.
Up - Twilight Portal: Farore’s wind, where Midna raises her arms and turns into a series of black pixels. She rebuilds at the destination. This is also used as her battlefield introduction.
Down - Beast of Twilight: summons a twilight creature to rush forward and attack. Works more as it did in 4, as there is only one beast model, which will rush and attack at different distances based on charge.
Final - Fused Shadow: borrowed from Ganondorf, she puts together the fused shadows and allows the spider form to rush the battle.

MrPowerfulJeans

Smash Cadet
So I had a dream that the Direct was last night, and they revealed a whole lot of characters. I can't remember them all, but the list contains
  • Gengar
  • Pidgeot
  • Chatot
  • Waluigi, who was an Assist Trophy as well
I think they also revealed an amiibo of these characters and Daisy, in my dream.

And then I woke up and I was sad cause there was no Direct :(

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Thinking of that does make me wonder about what would you do to make an echo. So here’s a game: design an echo character who isn’t one of the most talked about ones. What are the differences between them and the parent?

From what it seems so far, echoes share the same physics stats as the parent, but may have different animations. They also can have slightly different hitboxes on attacks. You can also frankenstein one special move from another character. Also, don’t forget that the custom moves from 4 can also be used to frankenstein specials.

Midna could take Zelda’s old walking animation and borrow her run from Rosalina. She’d share all of Zelda’s normal attacks, but would have darkness effects rather than fire/lightning. Her specials would be similar but use different animations:
Neutral - Twilight Field: an expu of Zelda’s custom Nayru’s Passion, but the animation just involves Midna forming a ball of energy in her hands like she did to release Wolf Link from prison, then raising her arms as the move explodes like she does in her strong attack in Hyrule Warriors.
Side - Tear of Light: Din’s fire with a light projectile. The animation involves her pushing the light along like her end credits scene, and then snapping to explode it.
Up - Twilight Portal: Farore’s wind, where Midna raises her arms and turns into a series of black pixels. She rebuilds at the destination. This is also used as her battlefield introduction.
Down - Beast of Twilight: summons a twilight creature to rush forward and attack. Works more as it did in 4, as there is only one beast model, which will rush and attack at different distances based on charge.
Final - Fused Shadow: borrowed from Ganondorf, she puts together the fused shadows and allows the spider form to rush the battle.
Boshi would essentially be skewed to more of the rushdown archetype being Yoshi's Echo (my boi is an odd combination of that and heavyweight). I'd give him even BETTER ground and air speed than Yoshi (which is whack to begin with, yikes) but lowers kill potential and weight. He has better combo potential though.

The REAL difference is the personality though. He'd essentially be a narcissistic, spoiled showboat as opposed to Yoshi's humble nature. One of his taunts would even be him shaking his tail/rear towards the audience similar to Wario...

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
So I had a dream that the Direct was last night, and they revealed a whole lot of characters. I can't remember them all, but the list contains
  • Gengar
  • Pidgeot
  • Chatot
I think they also revealed an amiibo of these characters and Daisy, in my dream.

Oh, I'm sorry that you woke up before that Direct in your dream finished, Internet Explorer.

But since the Japan is mostly back to normal, hopefully we should see a announcement or two.

SevenGameSet

Smash Apprentice
  • Gengar
  • Pidgeot
  • Chatot

Catch me bodying scrubs with chatot in smash ultimate.

BeardyBennett

Smash Apprentice
...but all four of them are in Smash...

I’m a huge Tails fan. It seems like the modern Sonic series is still treatig him as the standard #2, even if they’re making his personality more annoying (also what they did to Luigi, afaik). Still, I’m pretty sure that of the main four Sonic and friends, he’s the least popular.

I just would love to see Tails join his BFF in Smash. I don’t really care is Shadow’s in or not - the edgehog does nothing for me - but to promote Shadow to playable, Knux to assist, but leave Sonic’s #2 stuck in the loop just because he’s not super popular is not cool. It’s not like Tails is unpopular, and he’s definitely iconic enough for Smash.

I’d actually be fine with Tails as an echo. Give him Peach’s float and he’s good. Sonic’s current moveset does fit with the older Sonic games, and Tails was always set to do the same things with different animations.

———

I posted this a few weeks back, but Liquid Snake as an echo of Snake. His main difference would be his overall stance and movement being less stealthy and more upright and intimidating. His side-B would also be changed to Duck Hunts side-B. However, instead of an outlaw yelling draw, it would be a guard from Shadow Moses doing the "!" alert and firing a shot.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Boshi would essentially be skewed to more of the rushdown archetype being Yoshi's Echo (my boi is an odd combination of that and heavyweight). I'd give him even BETTER ground and air speed than Yoshi (which is whack to begin with, yikes) but lowers kill potential and weight. He has better combo potential though.

The REAL difference is the personality though. He'd essentially be a narcissistic, spoiled showboat as opposed to Yoshi's humble nature. One of his taunts would even be him shaking his tail/rear towards the audience similar to Wario...
Didn't you give him different stats. though (speed and weight)?

Tough, Boshi hardly needs major gameplay elements to be unique. He's way too different from Yoshi in character, as you said.

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
September 11th could be the 10th for us, so i dont see the problem

Last edited:

BeardyBennett

Smash Apprentice
  • Gengar
  • Pidgeot
  • Chatot

Would Alfonzo take Waluigis place for matches where he is a fighter?

SquashiniKun

Smash Ace
  • Gengar
  • Pidgeot
  • Chatot

i had a simillar dream where Roll was revealed as Megaman's Echo fighter & Lillie and Cosmog were revealed at the end of the direct.

Last edited:

T-Hell

Smash Lord
Ok, two things.

1- Stop wanting to kill or sacrifice my mains, you monsters :(
2- A trailer with Incineroar, Pikachu Libre and Karate Joe/a post-match interview environment from Rhythm Heaven makes too much sense to me to not do.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Didn't you give him different stats. though (speed and weight)?

Tough, Boshi hardly needs major gameplay elements to be unique. He's way too different from Yoshi in character, as you said.
Okay then, how about if instead of Egg Lay for his neutral B, he'd have one that's a combination of that and Wario's Waft. He eats the opponent, keeps them in his stomach, and then with another input FARTS them out below propelling him upwards and them downwards (or basically a glorified down throw if he's on the ground).

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
The 'problem' is that event of 17 years ago. Though it has passed, so it might not matter this time. It's history after all.
I know is a delicate date for the US, but it could be Monday 10th in the us and Tuesday 11th in japan

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
I know is a delicate date for the US, but it could be Monday 10th in the us and Tuesday 11th in japan
Oh, I see. But then to me it feels like a conflict: while US will have no problem with that, Japan would have a problem with that date. This is just my opinion, but I'd be surprised if Japan cared for that date too.

MrPowerfulJeans

Smash Cadet
Would Alfonzo take Waluigis place for matches where he is a fighter?
*Secretly looks up who Alfonzo is* Uhhhh, yeah!

Catch me bodying scrubs with chatot in smash ultimate.
If Chatot is in Smash Ultimate, I'll make him my main just because of this.

Oh, I'm sorry that you woke up before that Direct in your dream finished, Internet Explorer.

But since the Japan is mostly back to normal, hopefully we should see a announcement or two.
It's all good. At least I got to see Waluigi in Smash.

At least Japan is recovering well, which is always a good sign.

i had a simillar dream where Roll was revealed as Megaman's Echo fighter & that Lillie and Cosmog were revealed at the end of the direct.
This reminds me of a Smash 4 mod that had Lillie & Cosmog over Rosalina & Luma... Lillie & Cosmog as Rosalina & Luma echo confirmed?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm of the ind that 4 characters is the perfect amount for static cast series (i.e. not Pokemon, Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy and to a lesser extent, Mother and Xenoblade) as that number usually encompasses a good range of characters

Mario (Brawl only): The hero, the Sidekick, the love interest(?) and the baddie
Zelda (When Sheik was a Zelda form): The Hero, a different flavor of the hero, the titular princess and the villain
Metroid: The hero, The hero with face on display, the nemesis, the dark doppelganger

Potential quartets (ones not in (yet?) are bolded)
Donkey Kong: The Hero, the sidekick, the baddie, the sidekicks's spunky sidekick
Kirby: The Hero, The Frienemy, the out of place Edgy one, the sidekick/minion
Star Fox: The Hero, the cocky wingman, the rival, the love intrest/Rare refugee

osby

Smash Obsessed
Ok, two things.

1- Stop wanting to kill or sacrifice my mains, you monsters :(
2- A trailer with Incineroar, Pikachu Libre and Karate Joe/a post-match interview environment from Rhythm Heaven makes too much sense to me to not do.
I wonder if they reveal two characters from different franchises with same reveal trailer. I mean, Brawl did, but it was kinda unique.

Nethermoosen

Smash Lord
Switch FC
6001 9919 2607
Okay then, how about if instead of Egg Lay for his neutral B, he'd have one that's a combination of that and Wario's Waft. He eats the opponent, keeps them in his stomach, and then with another input FARTS them out below propelling him upwards and them downwards (or basically a glorified down throw if he's on the ground).
So, we’re talking top tier Yoshi. Because that would be the best spike ever. Like aerial Bowsercide without killing yourself.

Zinith

Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
So, we’re talking top tier Yoshi. Because that would be the best spike ever. Like aerial Bowsercide without killing yourself.
I could see ways to make that less OP. Maybe while his opponent's still in his stomach, his ground and air speed takes a MASSIVE nosedive, or maybe put him in a helpless state after expulsion.

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700
Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I see almost 20 nee pages simce last night, but I'm gonna guess nothing official happened. Did we get any new leaks tho?

osby

Smash Obsessed
I could see ways to make that less OP. Maybe while his opponent's still in his stomach, his ground and air speed takes a MASSIVE nosedive, or maybe put him in a helpless state after expulsion.
Just give him his shades as a boomerang.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
September 11th could be the 10th for us, so i dont see the problem
With the Nintendo Direct being delayed in respect of the people who were affected by the most recent Japan earthquake, you would think that Nintendo would also respect the United States and the 9/11 attack anniversary; it's definitely not a good day for those who still have the scars from that tragedy.

SebasSancy

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 6766 2698 9475
in 11 hours by now, Pokenchi will air. Masuda will be in it. I really thought that they would make a annoucement before that, but it looks like if there's a pokémon's exclusive news, will be on Pokenchi first

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
I wonder if they reveal two characters from different franchises with same reveal trailer. I mean, Brawl did, but it was kinda unique.
I doubt we'll get a double non-Echo reveal in the same trailer. Aside from me thinking there aren't many scenarios where a franchise gets two unique newcomers in the base game, Nintendo would probably want to separate them to flash out the number of reveals. Drums up more hype that way.

With the Nintendo Direct being delayed in respect of the people who were affected by the most recent Japan earthquake, you would think that Nintendo would also respect the United States and the 9/11 attack anniversary; it's definitely not a good day for those who still have the scars from that tragedy.
Not to make them sound mean and heartless, but Nintendo was probably thinking about the number of viewers who would miss out on the Direct rather than paying respect to those who were effected by the earthquake. Business is business, and even the family-friendly Nintendo is concerned about their stock prices.

MrSmashFour

Smash Journeyman
Trust me, they don't care. They released Super Mario Maker on 9/11.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom