• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Neither of the messages you guys quoted mention Ashley

You guys are too quick to reply, but not quick enough

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I didn't say that wasn't the case. I said he hasn't been seen.

But then again, that can apply for Shadow and Isabelle as well
Is it wrong I think Shadow will only get in because he's an easy echo and not due to actually being important?

Whenever I think of Sonic, the heirarchy of importance of characters, to me, has always been:

Sonic > Tails > Knuckles > Shadow.

And Isabelle's absence is really odd. I could see her stay an AT, but at the same time, if she was, I legit feel like we'd have seen her by now; she's the face of the friggen series.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Okay, but real talk, just because a character wasn't expected, doesn't mean they are less fun or less deserving.

People sometimes act like amount of support in Smashboards are the measurement of a character's value.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Rhythm Heaven is very popular in Japan and does have quite the following here. It's definitely not as big as Ridley or K. Rool but saying it's a wtf character is a little demeaning considering how well the series is doing.
I think WTF character is demeaning to all characters. It implies that the character had no other merit other than being a strange choice.

As far as I'm concerned, no character in Smash is in just because Sakurai wanted to make the audience go "WTF". They all have some sort of merit. For example: Wii Fit Trainer is in the game because her series is one of the best selling Nintendo games of all time and symbolizes a historical moment for Nintendo when they were able to create a video game system that could be used for health. Saying she was just there because it would make people go "WTF that's so random!" is a complete misconception.

Shroob

Sup?
I love how there's an ad for a life-sized Velociraptor on Amazon directly under Zinith's post on my end.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Surprise characters definitely aren't inherently bad, it was more a comment about wanting a surprise character for the sole purpose of being surprised. A lot of characters with smaller or nonexistent fanbases have made for great additions, but there also needs to be put further thought into them than just "wow, wouldn't that be crazy?".

Koopaul

Smash Champion
I feel that’s fair; most Nintendo IPs have some kind of representation at this point.
Most? What do you mean by most? There are hundreds of Nintendo IP.

I'm guessing you meant most of the non-obscure IP are represented.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Surprise characters definitely aren't inherently bad, it was more a comment about wanting a surprise character for the sole purpose of being surprised. A lot of characters with smaller or nonexistent fanbases have made for great additions, but there also needs to be put further thought into them than just "wow, wouldn't that be crazy?".
"That would be crazy!" is not a good argument in any case but I don't think wanting a character because of a unique design or a potentially interesting moveset is a bad thing. It's a fighting game after all.

I hope that's the case.
I'm sure a lot of people outside of this site wants Boshi, too.

Last edited:

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Well...Rhythm Heaven, ARMS and Golden Sun aren't obscure, though the latter might be. Don't know. I did play that game but...
Neither is Big Brain Academy and that has yet to be represented in anything other than a song. There is so much out there that is not even considered.

I assure you no Nintendo character would ever be added for that reason. Each character can represent something unique. From a historical standpoint or representing a specific genre like Duck Hunt. They symbolize something. Even someone like Vincent from Art Academy could be a fighter to represent Nintendo's art series and an important series to the 3DS' library. Even making deals with Disney.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
"That would be crazy!" is not a good argument in any case but I don't think wanting a character because of a unique design or a potentially interesting moveset is a bad thing. It's a fighting game after all.
If you don't have a specific character in mind, and just want a surprise, you're just assuming that if it's something no one really wants or expect it's going to be unique. Rather than finding a character that's wanted that can be unique.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I assure you no Nintendo character would ever be added for that reason. Each character can represent something unique. From a historical standpoint or representing a specific genre like Duck Hunt. They symbolize something. Even someone like Vincent from Art Academy could be a fighter to represent Nintendo's art series and an important series to the 3DS' library. Even making deals with Disney.
Wii Fit Trainer was literally added just so there would be an unexpected character in the game.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I'll go on record as saying a surprise character has never made me more hyped for a Smash game.

Bar the kind of surprises that were notably speculated on but we almost unanimously convinced ourselves against their inclusion, ala :ultvillager::ultridley::ultcloud:etc.
Those I like, but those are usually characters with popularity. I'm talking the real out of left field picks.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Wii Fit Trainer was literally added just so there would be an unexpected character in the game.
Source please.

EDIT: I looked it up. He said he added her because he thought she would offer a unique style like Villager. It was the interviewer who said she was someone no one expected. Sakurai didn't say that was his reason for adding her.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Yep. But she's also the face of the one of the most successful games of Nintendo. She's hardly a nobody.

(Though, I wouldn't call any Smash character a 'nobody', except maybe Ice Climbers and Roy until his game came out)

Jetsurge

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2536-8732-7990
Is it wrong I think Shadow will only get in because he's an easy echo and not due to actually being important?

Whenever I think of Sonic, the heirarchy of importance of characters, to me, has always been:

Sonic > Tails > Knuckles > Shadow.

And Isabelle's absence is really odd. I could see her stay an AT, but at the same time, if she was, I legit feel like we'd have seen her by now; she's the face of the friggen series.
But Shadow is more popular than Tails and Knuckles.

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
That wasn't reflected in fan polls where Knuckles was above Shadow everywhere but Japan
To be honest...I don't get why peoples want Shadow instead of Tails. I know that Shadow is more popular, but why not Tails? I think peoples are sleeping on his chances. He would make more sense as a echo of Sonic, than with Shadow.

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352

Of course not, again, it was more of a comment in regards to fans specifically wanting surprise characters just because they want to be surprised. Sakurai has never included a character solely off the back of them being surprising, when you see them in action every character's concept makes a whole lot of sense, in hindsight they become obvious. If he doesn't think that there's a potentially surprising character that would be as interesting as the obvious choices, then he's not going to add them over the obvious ones, but a lot of what I've read recently (mostly on Reddit tbf) makes it seem like some people want him to force in a surprise character just for the sake of it.

Even then we would have been surprised a lot so far if not for leaks, and leaks would also ruin the surprise of any surprise characters anyways.

Last edited:

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
To be honest...I don't get why peoples want Shadow instead of Tails. I know that Shadow is more popular, but why not Tails? I think peoples are sleeping on his chances.
I just don't like Tails as a character

Same reason when it comes to the Mallow vs geno thing I would have Geno first

I don't like that character arechetype

osby

Smash Obsessed
Well I'm talking about the Sonic fanbase in general. I blame Project M for Knuckles being in the lead in Smash polls.
Knuckles is more popular in America. Therefore English speaking sites tend to overrate his popularity slightly sometimes.

It would actually be funny if Shadow's inclusion make "popular characters only!" people angry.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Tails is a bit of a whiny ****, but Shadow is an edgy *****.

They should've picked Knuckles. Knuckles is rad.

Last edited:

Michele

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4494-7438-0796
I just don't like Tails as a character

Same reason when it comes to the Mallow vs geno thing I would have Geno first

I don't like that character arechetype
Just because you don't like him doesn't mean he shouldn't be in the game, in my opinion. It is good to have Shadow or Tails but I find Tails to be a bit more compatible than Shadow. But Shadow is a rival of Sonic.

I'm conflicted....

Going to do a shower now. Peace!

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Just because you don't like him doesn't mean he shouldn't be in the game, in my opinion. It is good to have Shadow or Tails but I find Tails to be a bit more compatible than Shadow. But Shadow is a rival of Sonic.

I'm conflicted....

Going to do a shower now. Peace!
Well, you asked why people don't want him and I answered that.

I don't want Shadow either

I wanted Knuckles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom