• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

Sorry to burst y'all bubbles, but I think we already have a character that woves in with the rhythm.

WaxPython

Smash Ace
Starlink looks like the best Star Fox game in the last decade.

Give them a chance.
Starlink isn't even out yet lmao. I don't believe hype and trailers since Ubi$oft is known for downgrading games and selling games based on hype and good trailers with very little content.

I don't personally think the company is getting better when you see the pay2win microtransactioms they put in most of their multi platform games.

papagenos

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-0554-8947-9778
As someone who's been on this ride since before Brawl, the fact that they're actually basing the inclusions off the screaming diehards is still surprise enough for me. I've had Sakurai's old surprises and frankly not all of them were my cup of tea.
Agreed.

Ridley surprised me, K Rool surprised me. I'll be surprised at Isaac or Geno and i'll be much happier with sakurai choosing these characters anyway even if they are being talked about and "expected" right now. All the years of waiting makes finally getting them exciting enough even if they are talked alot about and considered likely now.

Last edited:

hazza5557

Smash Journeyman
I think Chorus Kids would be a better choice than Karate Joe. Mostly because I’d like to see how they work having 3 characters in 1. I think they’ll be different to the Ice Climbers in that they can’t be separated from each other.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Both Joe and Chorus Kids have their good points IMO - Joe I might prefer due seniority and probably have the beat gimmick work more seamlessly with his karate move style, but Chorus Kids would capture the concept of many RH-games much better since they seem to bring well the concept of featuring three to four characters dancing to cues, usually with the player being the last one. On that end, maybe they'd have a delayed type of attacks this way if having to go through all three.

Makes me wish we could get a happy medium of all four together, with Joe leading the little kids and being the baton to Kids' rhythmic attacks.

Actually that reminds me, someone already tried this concept with Joe being accompanied by Marshall:

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Agreed.

Ridley surprised me, K Rool surprised me. I'll be surprised at Isaac or Geno and i'll be much happier with sakurai choosing these characters anyway even if they are being talked about and "expected" right now. All the years of waiting makes finally getting them exciting enough even if they are talked alot about and considered likely now.
I have nothing personally against said characters.

The problem is leak culture.

Let's be honest, would people have hyped up Simon Belmont or Skull Kid to the levels that they're currently at were it not for Loz18 or Vergeben? Definitely not in my opinion.

As a HUGE Castlevania fan, I should have been screaming off the rooftops that Bloody Tears/Monster Dance leaked the night before, but to me it was "Oh, Vergeben's right, okay." I honestly got more excited for Richter frankly. I wasn't expecting that.

I want Skull Kid, but will I be 'excited' for him? No, not really. I'll chalk it up to Loz getting something right for once and go about my day.

7982Brick

Smash Cadet
Both Joe and Chorus Kids have their good points IMO - Joe I might prefer due seniority and probably have the beat gimmick work more seamlessly with his karate move style, but Chorus Kids would capture the concept of many RH-games much better since they seem to bring well the concept of featuring three to four characters dancing to cues, usually with the player being the last one. On that end, maybe they'd have a delayed type of attacks this way if having to go through all three.

Makes me wish we could get a happy medium of all four together, with Joe leading the little kids and being the baton to Kids' rhythmic attacks.

Actually that reminds me, sonmeone already tried this concept with Joe being accompanied by Marshall:

I wouldn't mind this idea as it would really captures the rhythm heaven games

Metal Shop X

CHAINSAW POWEEEEEEEER
NNID
Mao644
3DS FC
4339-3012-0905
Switch FC
SW-2905-0652-6700

Actually that reminds me, sonmeone already tried this concept with Joe being accompanied by Marshall:

Yo, that tweet actually made me want to see the RH character to work like that, it just look too good to only stay with one character when RH as so many different characters up it's sleeve.

Plus, it remind me of M&L: Partner in Time, which is a good thing imo.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I know this is rather off-topic, but to give a bit of insight as to Japan recently, some people were able to get some unreal pictures of the night sky during the blackouts. I'm SO jealous.

Shroob

Sup?
I know this is rather off-topic, but to give a bit of insight as to Japan recently, some people were able to get some unreal pictures of the night sky during the blackouts. I'm SO jealous.

I think the best phrase to describe this is:

Awe inspiring.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Golden Sun, Rhythm Heaven and ARMS are the three biggest Nintendo IPs not included.

All three series need a character.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Golden Sun, Rhythm Heaven and ARMS are the three biggest Nintendo IPs not included.

I agree. It'd be a shame if Smash returns to skipping new Nintendo franchises just to add old ones more characters.

Inklings were great, why stop at them?

MaestroDavros

Smash Apprentice
If this were during Smash 4 speculation, someone using Windows XP wouldn't be that far fetched at all; machines running that were everywhere.

Now though? Everyone and their dog has switched over to either Windows 7 or Windows 10 (except me who's stuck around with Windows 8.1 since I legitimately like it as an OS).

So unless someone went to, say, a hospital, which tend to be the last few places to upgrade their OS, uploaded the files there and took a blurry photo, it's incredibly unlikely to be real in my book.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm not sure ARMS counts as one of Nintendo's biggest IP's

UberMadman

Smash Lord
NNID
Psychotic_Forces

Considering ARMS is almost definitely not getting represented in the base roster, whether or not Sakurai feels the same way as you is a big factor as to whether we will get DLC for this game or not.
I'm not sure ARMS counts as one of Nintendo's biggest IP's
He said ARMS was one of “the three biggest Nintendo IPs not included.” I feel that’s fair; most Nintendo IPs have some kind of representation at this point.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Honestly, it is a shame about the Chorus Kids in Smash4.

You know they intended for them to be playable, going soo far as having the Sneaky Spirit be a Smash Run enemy.

Assuming they were cut due to hardware limitations, my headcanon is still that their B moves were heavily timing based, and would cause another kid to spawn depending on how well you kept the timing up.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Smash 4 surprised me a lot, but in the end I didn't play any of its newcomers to a great extend, only Lucina who is just Marth anyways. They were fun when they happened, but from day 1 of playing the game the surprise factor didn't count for anything.

I'll gladly take all of the currently safe predictions thank you, the moment of a character's reveal is not important in the long run.

Arcanir

An old friend evolved
NNID
Shoryu91
3DS FC
4253-4855-5860
It's almost like people have different opinions or something.

(And wow, I had to leave early but it seems Smashboards really hated me not liking their sacred cows)
People didn't mind you not liking those characters, they had an issue with you calling them bad/inferior decisions.

Dillon could just come in as the surprise character for me

His AT hasn't been seen.

And if they wanted a character similar to Sonic, he's a much better choice than Shadow
Honestly, Red Flash vs. Blue Blur would be a fun match-up.

Last edited:

Zathura

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShinyZygarde
3DS FC
0404-6234-5785
Switch FC
SW-0485-3368-5894
Oh! How have I been missing rhythm heaven talk!? :eek:

Honestly, it is a shame about the Chorus Kids in Smash4.

You know they intended for them to be playable, going soo far as having the Sneaky Spirit be a Smash Run enemy.

Assuming they were cut due to hardware limitations, my headcanon is still that their B moves were heavily timing based, and would cause another kid to spawn depending on how well you kept the timing up.
I still really believe they’re gonna be in this game, if they were cut in smash 4 then it’s likely Sakurai want to revisit the idea now

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Smash 4 surprised me a lot, but in the end I didn't play any of its newcomers to a great extend, only Lucina who is just Marth anyways. They were fun when they happened, but from day 1 of playing the game the surprise factor didn't count for anything.

I'll gladly take all of the currently safe predictions thank you, the moment of a character's reveal is not important in the long run.
Point right here.

The momentary excitement of seeing something unexpected is not equivitable to the perpetual joy of having something that was wanted.

D

Deleted member

I mean, which franchises left are bigger? Asking out of curiosity.
Out of ones that aren't involved with the roster? Sin and Punishment might be one of the franchises, since Saki was an assist trophy in Brawl. But I don't know if that franchise is considered "memorable" and we're talking about first parties.

I'm starting to think that maybe we have to go more third-party territory at this point, but mainly if they had Nintendo presence first. Because what other first party Nintendo franchise is there to go off of? Not to mention the already existing ones in the roster that we can pull characters from.

I'd say Phoenix Wright, if anything, deserves a spot, in my honest opinion. The GBA, DS and Virtual Console days are good enough to fit the criteria for "realizable" and "legacy" characters.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
IDK, did the ARMS series sell more than the Rolling Western series combined? Probably actually.
Definitely yeah.

I don't think any Dillon's Rolling Western title sold more than half a million.

Which is a shame cause those games are great.

Also if I made it four, I'd have put Dillon in there.

PSIGuy

Smash Lord
Oh **** I didn't realize that the Karate Joe discussion was in reference to a juicy potential leak, just saw the 4chan thread. ****, I'm hopeful. An RH Fighter and Elma are my last two wanted characters after getting K. Rool.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Point right here.

The momentary excitement of seeing something unexpected is not equivitable to the perpetual joy of having something that was wanted.
I'll play Wii Fit Trainer and Mr. Game & Watch a lot more than characters I don't like but other people requested so... both?

You can have both requested characters and suprising characters. Smash doesn't have to be a popularity pool.

Shroob

Sup?
Point right here.

I think people are misinterpeting what I'm saying.

I'm not unhappy that characters like Ridley and K.Rool are in.

I'm unhappy we already know they're coming due to leaks that were ridiculously early(Not K.Rool, but Ridley and Simon had been leaked since Early June).

K.Rool's reveal was perfection. No one credible leaked it, so it was a surprise to everyone.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Out of ones that aren't involved with the roster? Sin and Punishment might be one of the franchises, since Saki was an assist trophy in Brawl. But I don't know if that franchise is considered "memorable" and we're talking about first parties.

I'm starting to think that maybe we have to go more third-party territory at this point, but mainly if they had Nintendo presence first. Because what other first party Nintendo franchise is there to go off of? Not to mention the already existing ones in the roster that we can pull characters from.

I'd say Phoenix Wright, if anything, deserves a spot, in my honest opinion. The GBA, DS and Virtual Console days are good enough to fit the criteria for "realizable" and "legacy" characters.
Yeah i´d agree.

I feel like the dlc especially is going to almost solely exist of 3rd parties.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I mean, my most beloved Smash character is Pokemon Trainer who was a complete surprise.

I've always been of the mind that we need both popular requests and surprises.

It's one thing I think Smash has always done well.

This game has a character for everyone and that's why I love it.

P.Kat

Smash Champion
Personally I found all suprise characters worthy and fun additions, while most wanted characters right now doesn't appeal to me that much.

Just to give an opinion, some people don't want cheap thrills when wanting suprise fighters.
I wouldn't mind surprises, but I do want some of my most wanted characters to make in Smash, either base roster or DLC. So far none of them made it in. The only characters that I'm interested in so far are Chrom, Inklings, and Daisy. Ridley, and King K. Rool are heavyweights, and clashes with my preference of light-mid weight fast characters, I'm not all that interested in Simon/Richter, and the only one out of the 'Favorable 5' I really want is Isaac. But that doesn't mean I'm not happy for those who finally got their long awaited characters (just in case people think I'm hating on these characters). It's always a good feeling when you get the character you've waited for so long, and I wouldn't want to take that away from anyone.
I come back after a few hours of Spider-Man to a bunch of pages and an incredibly confusing mess of Windows 98 and Karate Joe. Is it safe to assume this stuff is fake? Any reason to believe it? Any real leaks today?
Spider-Man is really fun if anyone is curious.
That's great to hear, can't wait too try out Spiderman.

Shroob

Sup?
I wouldn't mind surprises, but I do want some of my most wanted characters to make in Smash, either base roster or DLC. So far none of them made it in. The only characters that I'm interested in so far are Chrom, Inklings, and Daisy. Ridley, and King K. Rool are heavyweights, and clashes with my preference of light-mid weight fast characters, I'm not all that interested in Simon/Richter, and the only one out of the 'Favorable 5' I really want is Isaac. But that doesn't mean I'm not happy for those who finally got their long awaited characters (just in case people think I'm hating on these characters). It's always a good feeling when you get the character you've waited for so long, and I wouldn't want to take that away from anyone.

That's great to hear, can't wait too try out Spiderman.
I mean, and I say this with earnestly, if your most wanted aren't part of the expected 5, then by definition, your characters are surprises.

D

Deleted member

I think if anything, I just wanna see more diehard requests get answered, like Banjo-Kazooie and Geno. When I saw King K. Rool, I flipped out while I was walking to lunch. I knew he was such a demanded character for almost more than a decade, but what really got me shocked was just the amount of just general good vibes that came after the reveal.

It felt like getting King K. Rool was just more than answering the fans call, but an awesome climax of a good story, seeing that one Twitter post thanking Sakurai, just an overall good-feeling is what I want to see more.

It's gonna be crazy if we actually get a game where Ridley, King K. Rool, Banjo-Kazooie and Geno are gonna be in the same game. This whole ****in' game is an entire good-feel game, man lmao

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
He could be still in game as AT. He just hasn't been revealed yet.
I didn't say that wasn't the case. I said he hasn't been seen.

But then again, that can apply for Shadow and Isabelle as well

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom