• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Smash Ultimate Discussion

Almost one month has passed since release. In retrospect....

• This is by far the best Smash ever. Like, I don't even know how they will top this.

• Pretty freakin' good; I have a few qualms over things like internet play, balancing issues, etc.

• It's ok, but [insert Smash game here] is better.

• I'd rather play Parcheesi.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
My wildcard is still Pam from Stardew Valley.

Now that'd be a character that would cause the rating to go up because there'd be a lot of beer.

I still want to know how she sends beer in the mail that doesn't manage to spill in the delivery process. What a legend!

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
It would be pretty difficult to find a character that's too violent for Smash after Bayonetta, honestly. Most characters are only violent because their game allows them to be. Unless the character 100% has to use real bullet weapons, it's fine.

I don't know. Kratos has been considered to be among the angriest video game characters around. Also, he's a literal god killer, and his kills are highly graphical in nature (so graphical in fact, that some countries had to censor certain killings), so that doesn't help matters either.
I see you point but his most recent iteration is pretty different tho. He needs to be more responsible and less angry now that he is a daddy. Plus Luigi The President Luigi The President has a point, pretty much any character can be 'calmed down' to fit smash standards.

Edit: Btw i don't particularly want Kratos in smash...

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
You still have to be careful though, especially if you're trying to stay at the E10+ level.
Why should the background of Kratos' games matter with any inclusion in Smash? Metal Gear and Bayonetta are far cries from E10+, but take away the blood and you just get slapstick and cartoon violence.

There is no problem here. It's like saying Kiryu can't be in Smash because the Yakuza games have violent themes that Kiryu himself barely does himself.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
No torture attack in Bayonetta is gross nor extremely gruesome...only sexy
Kratos will be just fine if he makes it in.
That would be a major if Kratos ever made it into any sort of Nintendo game without mods, let alone Smash...this is a Sony property after all

Wambo

Smash Ace
You're telling me you spent months making Echoes for everyone but not a minute on MY STORY MODE?!?!?!
I love how the ****ing feels guy meme got a second chance.

Anything happen in the nine hours I've been off?

D

Deleted member

Guys, come ON! You all know what the best wild card is for Smash Ultimate!

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
It should be an unwritten law that a Nintendo burger be polygonal.
unrelated, but I realized you have the debut for some Smash characters out of debut order
Yep. That's why I said if.
If he was a Microsoft property then he’d be possible (kinda a shame too since I’d love to have him fight Pit/Palutena and Kirby...also the obvious Mario)
Honestly fellas?

....I lowkey want Master Chief in Smash
Highkey

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
unrelated, but I realized you have the debut for some Smash characters out of debut order

If he was a Microsoft property then he’d be possible (kinda a shame too since I’d love to have him fight Pit/Palutena and Kirby...also the obvious Mario)

Highkey
....yeahhh highkey but also lowkey because I cannot see it EVER happening.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Why should the background of Kratos' games matter with any inclusion in Smash? Metal Gear and Bayonetta are far cries from E10+, but take away the blood and you just get slapstick and cartoon violence.

There is no problem here. It's like saying Kiryu can't be in Smash because the Yakuza games have violent themes that Kiryu himself barely does himself.
I guess I'm just having a hard time envisioning Kratos in a world that's more cartoonish in nature.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Is a character really going to be ruled out because of violence? He’s angry and swings his swords around, makes things bleed, etc...no way he’s in, right?

I mean, Mario crushes his enemies by jumping on them. Link slices with his sword. Samus kills things by shooting them. Snake literally kills them if the player chooses to. Ridley is a homicidal maniac. Bayonetta has torture attacks in her games. Cloud kills people in his game. Star Fox shoots down their enemies, killing at least a small handful of other animal pilots. Wolf is a merciless bounty hunter. Ganondorf kills essentially the entire population of Hyrule here and there. Shulk is a god killer and kills creatures and machine alike. All the Fire Emblem characters kill opposing units in their games.

Like, that literally doesn’t matter. At all. Kratos is a gaming icon, moreso than half the 3rd party choices thrown around by Smash fans as if they’re big shots.

There’s nothing wrong with supporting characters you like, but characters like Shantae, Professor Layton, Jibanyan...those aren’t even close to the legacy or iconic status of literal gaming icons.

I’d unironically welcome the likes of Kratos, Nathan Drake or Master Chief based on the sole reason that they are gaming icons that would fit similar criterion to the characters already in Smash. By no means do I expect them. I think it’d be legit, but I don’t expect them. Other characters from series that have redefined genres or aspects of gaming would be amazing in my humble opinion. Depending on how they were implemented, i’d even be hyped to see Lara Croft or Ezio Auditore. Gimme characters that are hype and from series that kick ass.

Characters wouldn’t be ruled out for reasons like being too violent or angry. They’d be ruled out because of contractual issues or not meshing with the vision of the game.

Kratos could be edited to be like every other character with pointy objects to not elicit blood from the attacks, or not use the particularly violent attacks. Swinging his swords and yelling isn’t going to make him “too violent”.

Zinith

Yoshi is Thicc in S P I R I T
All around you, awaiting to consume your soul
Switch FC
SW-4624-0132-9722
Is a character really going to be ruled out because of violence? He’s angry and swings his swords around, makes things bleed, etc...no way he’s in, right?

I mean, Mario crushes his enemies by jumping on them. Link slices with his sword. Samus kills things by shooting them. Snake literally kills them if the player chooses to. Ridley is a homicidal maniac. Bayonetta has torture attacks in her games. Cloud kills people in his game. Star Fox shoots down their enemies, killing at least a small handful of other animal pilots. Wolf is a merciless bounty hunter. Ganondorf kills essentially the entire population of Hyrule here and there. Shulk is a god killer and kills creatures and machine alike. All the Fire Emblem characters kill opposing units in their games.

Like, that literally doesn’t matter. At all. Kratos is a gaming icon, moreso than half the 3rd party choices thrown around by Smash fans as if they’re big shots.

There’s nothing wrong with supporting characters you like, but characters like Shantae, Professor Layton, Jibanyan...those aren’t even close to the legacy or iconic status of literal gaming icons.

I’d unironically welcome the likes of Kratos, Nathan Drake or Master Chief based on the sole reason that they are gaming icons that would fit similar criterion to the characters already in Smash. By no means do I expect them. I think it’d be legit, but I don’t expect them. Other characters from series that have redefined genres or aspects of gaming would be amazing in my humble opinion. Depending on how they were implemented, i’d even be hyped to see Lara Croft or Ezio Auditore. Gimme characters that are hype and from series that kick ***.

Characters wouldn’t be ruled out for reasons like being too violent or angry. They’d be ruled out because of contractual issues or not meshing with the vision of the game.

Kratos could be edited to be like every other character with pointy objects to not elicit blood from the attacks, or not use the particularly violent attacks. Swinging his swords and yelling isn’t going to make him “too violent”.
Also my boi (and Kirby) devours creatures alive

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Gotta ask Ariga...you've bought up how Steve has a chance sometimes for a Microsoft rep.
What do you think about the Chief?
He's more possible than people think. Like how Paper Mario hides in the shadow of Isaac and Geno, Master Chief hides in the shadows of Banjo and Minecraft. It's very well possible to happen if Microsoft absolutely wanted to push for that specific character. The problem I see with Chief at the moment though is if he can get away with :ultcloud:'s "global recognition" or whatever Sakurai used to defend his inclusion.

I guess I'm just having a hard time envisioning Kratos in a world that's more cartoonish in nature.
I'm pretty sure that's what fellas in 2005 were saying about Snake, too. :p

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Speaking of Sony characters and Playstation in general, I really like the idea of Cloud being the 'Sony character', as his game symbolized changing relationships with Ninty that a substantial amount of 3rd parties would later follow. It seems like a fitting symbol that Nintendo basically lost that series beginning with his game until we got remakes on the DS and the VC a decade later. And yes I know he's not owned by Sony.

I guess that's why I like the idea of Banjo being the 'Microsoft character', as they also symbolize changing relationships due to Nintendo, effectively, selling them to the competition, something that has yet to be repeated since. Both show the relationships between Ninty and their console competitors and I think that's cool.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Speaking of Sony characters and Playstation in general, I really like the idea of Cloud being the 'Sony character', as his game symbolized changing relationships with Ninty that a substantial amount of 3rd parties would later follow. It seems like a fitting symbol that Nintendo basically lost that series beginning with his game until we got remakes on the DS and the VC a decade later. And yes I know he's not owned by Sony.

I guess that's why I like the idea of Banjo being the 'Microsoft character', as they also symbolize changing relationships due to Nintendo, effectively, selling them to the competition, something that has yet to be repeated since. Both show the relationships between Ninty and their console competitors and I think that's cool.
Tbh, Banjo or Master Chief would be cool as the "microsoft" character using your criteria.

Luigi The President

Smash Hero
He's more possible than people think. Like how Paper Mario hides in the shadow of Isaac and Geno, Master Chief hides in the shadows of Banjo and Minecraft. It's very well possible to happen if Microsoft absolutely wanted to push for that specific character. The problem I see with Chief at the moment though is if he can get away with :ultcloud:'s "global recognition" or whatever Sakurai used to defend his inclusion.

I'm pretty sure that's what fellas in 2005 were saying about Snake, too. :p
A-Aw...you bought up PM in a positive manner...thanks Ariga :")

I feel like, since Japan has always not been a friend of Microsoft, the same thing could honestly apply to B&K.
If Chief got enough of a push, it could override his low popularity in Japan.
He's kinda the father of the modern FPS, after all.

7982Brick

Smash Cadet
Is anyone else here hoping that Nintendo announces the direct tomorrow? Not to sound selfish but I really would like to know which character will be announced that way we can see which leaker was true or false.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
A-Aw...you bought up PM in a positive manner...thanks Ariga :")

I feel like, since Japan has always not been a friend of Microsoft, the same thing could honestly apply to B&K.
If Chief got enough of a push, it could override his low popularity in Japan.
He's kinda the father of the modern FPS, after all.
I think if we get some kind of FPS character, it's between the Chief or Doom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom